Pat Beverley? How Much? How Long?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#1 » by Galloisdaman » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:10 pm

My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Re: Pat Beverley? How Much? How Long? 

Post#2 » by illastrate » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 pm

I'd give him a 3 yr/24M deal or something in that ballpark.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#3 » by mttwlsn16 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:01 am

At least 9 inches
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#4 » by esqtvd » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:52 am

The execrable Lakers station [which shall remain letterless] was talking up Darren Collison today. After making ~$5M a year for his whole career, he got 2yr/$20M from the Pacers in 2017 and is now a FA.

In 2018-19, Collison and Pat Bev played about 28 mpg:

DC: 11/3/6
    PB: 8/5/4

each was about +9 on Off/Def per 100 possessions
    each shot about 40% from 3
    this summer Pat will be 31, DC will be 32
    they're both about 6'

DC is a true PG and is a better shooter
    PB will ask to defend Kevin Durant

PB is a leader
    DC is, frankly, not

but as a pure PG, I think DC has more value to the Lakers

frankly, if we don't sign Kawhi plus probably another semi-stud
the Clippers are simply not gonna contend

I love Pat to death and maybe 3yr/$28M makes sense for us
I think that's his market value

frankly, a gutless team like the Sixers needs him much more and gives him a chance to contend even if the money's equal
so I wouldn't blame him if he looks at Philly
and I would blame Philly if they don't look at him instead of JJ
[JJ's gutless, sorry]

but maybe--if the money's equal--Pat still wants to hang his hat here in LA
and be our Mr. Clipper

I don't think we've ever had anybody like him

hardcore

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#5 » by mkwest » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:15 am

I like 3 years/$24M as well, but maybe there's better offers out there for him.

Read on Twitter

The organization value's Pat pretty highly and his value extends beyond his stats. His intangibles are so important.

We can pay him 3 years/$26M (~$8.1M starting salary) and still be able to afford any combination of a pair of outside max FA's.
If the team parts ways with McGruder, it could be bumped up to 3 years/$29.7M. (~$9.17M starting salary).

Read on Twitter

If he's wanting $10M/yr, then offer a partial guarantee on a 4th year to make up the difference.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#6 » by QRich3 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:37 am

He's getting 10 a year easily, there's too much capspace to go around and a lot of teams in need for what he brings.

I'd do 3/$32M with a partial guarantee on the 3rd year, but he likely gets better offers elsewhere.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#7 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 am

QRich3 wrote:He's getting 10 a year easily, there's too much capspace to go around and a lot of teams in need for what he brings.

I'd do 3/$32M with a partial guarantee on the 3rd year, but he likely gets better offers elsewhere.

Wow I remember the days where 10 mill was considered crazy. I feel like Pat wants some real $$$ and I can not blame him. Everyone else is cashing in. As great as Pat is I'd also keep in mind for his career he is an 12 PER player so I'd try not to get too crazy contract wise. He is 31 so he may feel this is his time to get paid to set him up for the rest of his life. At least that is how I would be thinking.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#8 » by QRich3 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
QRich3 wrote:He's getting 10 a year easily, there's too much capspace to go around and a lot of teams in need for what he brings.

Wow I remember the days where 10 mill was considered crazy. I feel like Pat wants some real $$$ and I can not blame him. Everyone else is cashing in. As great as Pat is I'd also keep in mind for his career he is an 12 PER player so I'd try not to get too crazy contract wise. He is 31 so he may feel this is his time to get paid to set him up for the rest of his life. At least that is how I would be thinking.

For real, Lebron's first max contract after his rookie deal was $13M, how times have changed! I'm glad the game is more popular and there's more money to go around though, I'm not gonna miss having the league locked out because owners and player want to fight for the money. There's enough to go around for everyone now.

But yeah, Bev should definitely go for as much money as he can get, he's gotten team friendly deals his whole career and this is gonna be his last long contract. And we should go for player development and a lottery pick, specially if as it seems we're not gonna get any max FA.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#9 » by esqtvd » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 pm

QRich3 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

For real, Lebron's first max contract after his rookie deal was $13M, how times have changed! I'm glad the game is more popular and there's more money to go around though, I'm not gonna miss having the league locked out because owners and player want to fight for the money. There's enough to go around for everyone now.

But yeah, Bev should definitely go for as much money as he can get, he's gotten team friendly deals his whole career and this is gonna be his last long contract. And we should go for player development and a lottery pick, specially if as it seems we're not gonna get any max FA.

$25M isn't chump change of course, but he's never hit the big money like everyone else. He might not be inclined to give out any discounts for what will probably be his last big payday.

Season Team Lg Salary
2012-13 Houston Rockets NBA $281,377
2013-14 Houston Rockets NBA $788,872
2014-15 Houston Rockets NBA $915,243
2015-16 Houston Rockets NBA $6,500,000
2016-17 Houston Rockets NBA $6,000,000
2017-18 Los Angeles Clippers NBA $5,513,514
2018-19 Los Angeles Clippers NBA $5,027,028
JayClips92
Junior
And1: 147

Post#10 » by JayClips92 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 pm

I'd give him 38mil/5 years, he gives the team an identity and culture. Make him the Udonis Haslem of the Clippers.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#11 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:28 am

JayClips92 wrote:I'd give him 38mil/5 years, he gives the team an identity and culture. Make him the Udonis Haslem of the Clippers.

That is a good amount of years at his age. I think he would like that but would want more salary per year. I'd be wary of giving that many years to him because the hope is that he is a bench role player not a starter in the future. I'm not putting Pat down. I'm a Pat fan.

I'm just worried about this crazy time regarding salaries. Also it used to be that guys preferred to stick with their teams and teammates. They usually only left for more money or to get a ring. I'm surprised how many guys are just choosing to leave.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#12 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:05 pm

I’m okay with him leaving.

It’s cool to have “culture” guys and pretend they’re the reason we play hard defense but drafting quality, hard working, and motivated human beings like Shai or adding Sham is more important imo.

#NeverCheated
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Beverley Reportedly Seeking 3 Years, $40 Million 

Post#13 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:49 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#14 » by esqtvd » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:00 pm

Sources: Patrick Beverley is seeking a deal in the three-year, $40+ million range. Suitors include Mavs, Lakers, Bulls and Clippers.

He might get it in this funny money year. Like I wrote upthread, Pat Bev's never hit the big big money and this might be his last big contract. No discounts.

If somebody else is gonna overpay, we gotta pass. We already have our starting frontcourt and the best 6th man in the biz. We need a swingman [or three], not another 6-foot even guy. I love the man to death, but those other teams need him more and you'd think one will overpay to get him.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#15 » by donemilio21 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Can we wait to sign him after we use our capspace ?
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#16 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:32 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Sources: Patrick Beverley is seeking a deal in the three-year, $40+ million range. Suitors include Mavs, Lakers, Bulls and Clippers.

He might get it in this funny money year. Like I wrote upthread, Pat Bev's never hit the big big money and this might be his last big contract. No discounts.

If somebody else is gonna overpay, we gotta pass. We already have our starting frontcourt and the best 6th man in the biz. We need a swingman [or three], not another 6-foot even guy. I love the man to death, but those other teams need him more and you'd think one will overpay to get him.

I agree about not overpaying in this silly season.

The bold got me curious. Who do you feel is the starting frontcourt?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#17 » by esqtvd » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:38 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I agree about not overpaying in this silly season.

The bold got me curious. Who do you feel is the starting frontcourt?

Silly me. Backcourt of course, indicated by the context. Pat would be our 4th guard. I love the guy, but we don't even have one legit SF. Gotta prioritize.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: Beverley Reportedly Seeking 3 Years, $40 Million 

Post#18 » by TucsonClip » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:07 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hes priced out unless year 3 is partially guaranteed. My original hope was 2-3 years at around the MLE, perhaps slightly more.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,173

Post#19 » by og15 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:09 am

illastrate wrote:I'd give him a 3 yr/24M deal or something in that ballpark.

That’s under MLE. I would say one should start with at least 3 years / $30 million. As mentioned, he’s never had a big contract, and this will be his chance to get one, can’t start with under MLE offers.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers