With the 48th Pick, The Clippers Select Terance Mann

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Re: With the 48th Pick, The Clippers Select Terance Mann 

Post#81 » by QRich3 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:53 am

Yeah I'm fine with Jerome's pick whether he pans out or not, it was a worthwhile gamble. I'm never a fan of using hindsight to re-draft a player picked 10-15 positions lower, I don't think it's a very reasonable position.

Anxious to see more of the young guys on Thursday :D
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

We talkin' about practice 

Post#82 » by Dynamix » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:17 am

Read on Twitter

Sure, this is probably just Doc and the guys trying to fast track the kid's development, but still, what a hell of a story for him. Not a lot of 48th picks find themselves on a top contender, with a real shot to contribute, next to a couple of All Star players.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#83 » by Forte IV » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:27 pm

Its crazy how high he's raising already. I cant help but give into the hype lol
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,295

Post#84 » by nickhx2 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:42 pm

hey, i mean brogdon did it not all too long ago, right?

anyone know if sam cassell is working personally with mann? developing a solid mid-range could change everything, not just for him but for the team.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#85 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:36 am

An honest question - what is the difference between Mann and Robinson? Physically they're the exact same size and Robinson is 5 or 6 months younger. Why is Mann seen as this amazing prospect whereas Robinson is more or less the forgotten man?
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,204

Post#86 » by Max Headrom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:45 am

Yuri Vaultin wrote:An honest question - what is the difference between Mann and Robinson? Physically they're the exact same size and Robinson is 5 or 6 months younger. Why is Mann seen as this amazing prospect whereas Robinson is more or less the forgotten man?

Mann is actually a bit taller and bigger than Robinson. And Mann is similar to SGA last year sans the automatic midrange game SGA had but better defense, rebounding and playmaker. Mann just seems to have a real knack for the game and plays a lot older than his rookie status in my opinion. Robinson biggest issue seems to be confidence because he's certainly shown some flashes but he has the tools to be a good player in a support role. That's my take on it.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#87 » by Dynamix » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:06 am

Jerome was a 13th pick and is still figuring things out after a year, while Terance is a 48th pick that only played a few off-season games and seems ready to contribute. Him not being much of a shooter is actually an advantage, since he doesn't need to chuck just to prove his worth. Although he seems more than capable to knock down some open threes.

One play of his that speaks volumes was against Houston. He had a sloppy turnover, Harden got the ball, but Mann stuck to him all the way and calmly contested the shot without fouling. You see that as a coach, you give the rookie some minutes.

He might be close to his ceiling for all we know, but I'll gladly take a low scoring solid facilitator and defender with great hustle that can flirt with a triple double every other night.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#88 » by Forte IV » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Jerome is having Reggie Bullock syndrome where he lacks the confidence in game. I still remember the constant wide open 3s Reggie had just to pass the ball for a contested jumper.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#89 » by clipperlover » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:An honest question - what is the difference between Mann and Robinson? Physically they're the exact same size and Robinson is 5 or 6 months younger. Why is Mann seen as this amazing prospect whereas Robinson is more or less the forgotten man?

Physically, they are not the same size. Mann is nearly 20lbs stronger. Mann also has very long hands for a guard. His hands measured .25 inches longer than Bol Bol at the combine. His hands are actually 1.5" longer than Shamet. Those little nuances in the NBA can make a difference because it could be the difference between getting a deflection or not. Robinson actually has very wide hands for a guard.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#90 » by Yogatti » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:45 am

So what exactly is Terrance Mann's role on this team? Will he be a starter? I'm guessing he will be the point forward for the 2nd unit to go along with Lou and Trezz
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#91 » by esqtvd » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Yogatti wrote:So what exactly is Terrance Mann's role on this team? Will he be a starter? I'm guessing he will be the point forward for the 2nd unit to go along with Lou and Trezz

Depends on where Shamet fits in, I think. I don't see how you don't start Kawhi, PG, Beverley and a center. So do you start Harkless/JaMychal or do you start Shamet?

Probably a bit of both, which is why Doc is talking about a fluid starting 5 depending on matchups [which may include Trezz instead of Zubac sometimes]. If Shamet doesn't start, his minutes are going to come alongside Lou with the 2nd unit and Mann is not needed.

I make Mann the 11th man and soon the 10th, whose minutes will depend on Shamet's and to a lesser extent Trezz's. Can Shamet handle the point? Will Trezz see some time at the 4, or will he be needed a lot at center because Zu isn't cutting it?

You start with Kawhi and PG and build around them depending on matchups. Our semi-"positionless" depth chart something like this:

Kawhi
PG

Pat Bev
Lou
Trezz
Shamet
Zubac
Harkless
JaMychal

McGruder
T-Mann

J-Rob
Pat-Pat
Fi

[When load management minutes for Kawhi or PG are needed, I think McGruder will get the call over Mann, at least at first, because he has the experience and ability to defend 3 positions.]
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#92 » by 50CalClips » Fri Dec 6, 2019 3:39 am

Support this channel (give em a LIKE and maybe a SUB); takes the time to edit video clips of less-known players... like our man, Mann.

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#93 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:12 pm

What do you guys think now the season is 25 games in and Terance has logged some real NBA minutes?

He looks pretty raw to me right now, not surprising for a 2nd round pick (who didn't play PG in college!) It will take some time for the NBA game to slow down for him, but it will come. Garbage time minutes are hard to get a good sense of a player, as it often feels like 5 bench guys competing to make things happen. Overall I still like him a lot, as most of us do.

I don't think force-feeding him more minutes would necessarily be a good thing, and slow and steady (as he gains experience) will be better for him and the team.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#94 » by 50CalClips » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:11 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:What do you guys think now the season is 25 games in and Terance has logged some real NBA minutes?...

Terance Mann reminds me a bit of Nick Young, Donovan Mitchell, and Dillon Brooks (watching Brooks at Oregon, I thought he had the NBA-potential of Mitchell (of what he has become)). He's well-built, agile with a strong frame. Terance has NBA-caliber tools, but needs more confidence in his game -- own the ball, slash with authority, force opponents to contend with what you do, not the other way around.

It's gotta be HIM who forces the Clips to "give him" more minutes.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#95 » by 50CalClips » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:53 am

[How about that post ^above^ eh] :wink:

I'm sitting here in Starbucks, YouTubing all of the highlights and looking up old comebacks, etc...

And "The Man" by The Killers comes on. :lol: I search up Terance Mann threads, and here I am to post this:

Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#96 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:40 am

An immaturely hesitation of layup at crunch time against Mavs series game 5 made him prepared for that day when it comes to him DARE to shoot. He did dare :)
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#97 » by mttwlsn16 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:31 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:An immaturely hesitation of layup at crunch time against Mavs series game 5 made him prepared for that day when it comes to him DARE to shoot. He did dare :)
Lol I had already forgotten about that screw up. Glad it didn't ruin his confidence.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#98 » by esqtvd » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:28 am

looking back on these posts I was all over this from Day One

always trust content from TVD ;-)
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers