esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: Clippers Sign Amir Coffey to 2-Way Contract 

Post#2 » by esqtvd » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:27 am

a two-way is chump change
I just don't get why he left

I hate what the system does to these kids sometimes

I mean every 1st round pick is gonna get a guaranteed $1.6M, which is about what your average American will make in a lifetime
so that's cool
if you sock it away you'll be OK

but the rest of these kids
I don't know what will become of him

at least Sindarius will leave the game with $3M in the bank
good for him

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2019/6/1/18648346/amir-coffey-enters-nba-draft-leaves-minnesota-golden-gophers-2019-nba-draft-projection-stats

During his three seasons with the program, Coffey started 87 games and averaged 14.4 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 3.2 assists per game. He also led the Gophers to two trips to the NCAA Tournament, including a surprising trip last March after Minnesota rebounded. The team was even able to make it to the Round of 32 after defeating Louisville.

For Coffey, it’s unclear what his chances are at the next level. Most project him as being either a late second round selection or an undrafted free agent. It’s largely going to depend on if a particular franchise finds him intriguing enough to take a shot on draft night. The bottom half of the second round is notoriously difficult to project and things will be no different for Coffey.

On the other side, it’s hard to describe this as anything other than a huge loss for Richard Pitino and his staff. Coffey has arguably been the program’s best player over the last three seasons and he won’t be an easy player to replace.

that said, I'm glad the Clippers signed him
he was the best player on his team and led them to the tournament twice
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Pretty Effin Cool.... 

Post#3 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Love this signing.

Projectable tools and size. 3 ball was down last year but I'm not leaving him open on any court.
Good handle. Can pass. Can finish at/ around the rim.
Low level swiss army knife. Jack of all trades.

Definitely lost a bet last year on the Badger game in Madison because of this MFer.

Hopefully we can get something out of this kid.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Coffey And TV 

Post#4 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Pretty much a highlight reel player guy, going for those showstopping number plays. The strange thing about it is he doesn't hunt for highlights, they just happen to him (his putback bucket while sitting down being an example). I'm calling him the guard version of Blake Griffin as he can bully through players when need be, but he'll need to watch for his athletic hops carefully, otherwise he'd be Griffin 2.0. Keep in mind, Coffey is listed as a dual-guard; he can play both point and shooting, but with his size, he could slot into the small forward spot. Doc Rivers adores three-guard lineups to death...

What will the starting lineup look up? One of Gilgeous-Alexander and Shamet might be pushed to the bench, possibly Patrick Beverley if he returns. Maybe Gallinari gets traded so that Shamet can fit into the 2 spot. I don't foresee a Beverley-Gilgeous-Shamet-Coffey-Zubac lineup at all.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#5 » by playaloc916 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:02 am

Looks pretty explosive, and his last name is pretty cool :lol:
Last time I saw an athlete with the last name Coffey, was the hockey player Paul Coffey...
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#6 » by TheNewEra » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:08 pm

Good work
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#7 » by esqtvd » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:15 pm

gotta love a 6'8" guard

like all of them, his future rides on the 3-ball

excellent article

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/2019/6/7/18655687/minnesota-alum-amir-coffey-nba-gleague-2019-draft

While time in the G League will improve his bank account, another benefit lies behind him progressing on some of the weaknesses that will probably push Coffey to go undrafted. In terms of his stock as a prospect, his biggest weakness deals with his struggles as a perimeter. During his three-year stint at Minnesota, he shot 33% from beyond the arc on a total of 287 perimeter shot attempts. That overall shooting percentage deteriorated during his swan song where Coffey shot a career-low 30% from long-range.

That inconsistency likely had something to do with Coffey’s strange shooting stroke that has a pretty low release point. While he seems somewhat comfortable getting those shots off, whether he’s working catch-and-shoot or off-the-dribble, the release is definitely questionable. For one, it has a pretty low release point as the shot starts right at his forehead, which gives the shot a lower arc once it leaves his hands.

If Coffey gets signed to a two-way deal and spends much of his rookie year in the G League, he’ll definitely be in luck and have a great opportunity to improve that jumper. As a two-way prospect, he’ll spend the off-season and training camp getting a chance to work 1-on-1 with that team’s shooting coach, who will Coffey advice on what he’s doing wrong and step-by-step methods to improve that jumper. Once preseason ends, the Minnesota alum will still be in luck as the G League is the perfect area to refine any skill, especially a jumper, as a lot of the team’s offenses are based around perimeter shooting.

While he’ll need to refine his shooting stroke, Coffey still has the tools that would allow him to be a solid player from the moment he enters the G League. That deals with him standing as a quick and athletic 6’8 forward that can motor down the court in transition (on or off-ball), work in the half-court and be an extremely effective facilitator for a player his size.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers