ImageImageImageImageImage

Clips Acquire Paul George for SGA, Gallo, 5 First-Rounders and 2 Pick Swaps

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,728

Re: Clips Acquire Paul George for SGA, Gallo, 5 First-Rounders and 2 Pick Swaps 

Post#261 » by maternal85 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:24 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I definitely have buyers' remorse. With all the assets we traded away for Kawhi, it's pretty inexcusable that he couldn't at least carry us to a win in Game 5 or 6 in spite of Doc's insanity. This whole thing wasn't worth it at all for another Lob City second-round exit.

I'm also not convinced he goes to the Lakers if we don't make the PG trade. I think he stays in Toronto.

He was never staying in Toronto trust me. It was always the clippers. The Clippers were just bidding against themselves. The flight to Toronto, meeting with the Lakers, etc was just to negotiate with the Clippers. Toronto and OKC figured out the game early on. Toronto said thanks for the title and goodluck in LA. OKC said you want PG ? Well we need this...
maternal85
Starter

Post#262 » by maternal85 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:28 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:It's not even about SGA or Gallo. It's the fact that we traded all those picks in the hopes that we could finally move past the exact type of scenario we're in right now. Legitimately contending for championships would have made the trade worth it. More Lob City second-round exits, though? No thanks, I'd rather have the picks.

I hear you but really its all about right now though.. not 2-3 years down the line- drafting a player and hoping and praying he turns into a Kawhi, PG, Dame, Giannis, AD, etc. Its all about right now! You're thinking years down the line and really Covid-19 is here killing everything in its path.. the NCAA didn't even have March Madness, empty NFL and MLB stadiums, etc. Everything is up in the air right now as far as the future of sports is concerned. The NBA might even have a much lower salary cap next year. Yeah I didn't like that we gave up a lot but man you gotta do **** right now cause tomorrow isn't promised. You got the Rams opening up their new $5 billion dollar stadium right now and no fans are allowed. I stay around the corner from the new stadium and non of the businesses are capitalizing off its presence because of Covid. And I definitely hear you but there's no promise and guarantee for any of this sports sh*t right now especially with draft picks and hoping they pan out.

It's only about right now because we traded the future away. And what's happening right now wasn't worth it. If we were told immediately after making the PG trade that we would lose in the second round, we'd think it was just haters being delusional.

You think opening the new arena would be rough without making this trade? Just imagine how bad it's going to be with no Kawhi, no PG and no draft picks. That's what's actually going to happen if big changes aren't made this offseason, and I'm not confident that Ballmer has the balls to make those changes. Kawhi and PG aren't sticking around for second-round exits.

PG has no real value. If you could trade KL2 this summer, I'd do it. At least save face.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#263 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:22 pm

I don't agree that PG has no value. There's plenty of desperate teams out there looking for "star power" (no matter how fake it is) to put butts in seats. We wouldn't get the return that OKC got, but I could see the Logo doing well in a trade.
maternal85
Starter

Post#264 » by maternal85 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:59 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I don't agree that PG has no value. There's plenty of desperate teams out there looking for "star power" (no matter how fake it is) to put butts in seats. We wouldn't get the return that OKC got, but I could see the Logo doing well in a trade.

OKC needed star power and they had no interest. Max dollars, injury prone, and no real impact especially come playoff time. No sane team wants any part of that.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#265 » by zaymon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:46 pm

Is there a trade involing AG + ? for PG interesting for you guys ? I dont have a clue whats PG value on expiring right now.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#266 » by nickhx2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:28 am

i would think some combination of fultz/gordon would have to come back.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#267 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 am

zaymon wrote:Is there a trade involing AG + ? for PG interesting for you guys ? I dont have a clue whats PG value on expiring right now.

To be honest, I'd like to see this team with another coach before doing major trades like involves PG. It's not wise to trade him now when his value is all time low that you know you aren't gonna get much inexchange.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#268 » by God Squad » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:I definitely have buyers' remorse. With all the assets we traded away for Kawhi, it's pretty inexcusable that he couldn't at least carry us to a win in Game 5 or 6 in spite of Doc's insanity. This whole thing wasn't worth it at all for another Lob City second-round exit.

I'm also not convinced he goes to the Lakers if we don't make the PG trade. I think he stays in Toronto.
Ah yes. Now we're slandering our best player. Love it.

Please do not celebrate when we win. It's obvious you're rooting for a big fat L.

ToLd YoU sO!

Typical "can't critique our players or staff. GTFO mentality" Whats wrong with not liking the trade from the get-go? From my Lurking MTV hated the trade and wanted Doc fired waay before the elimination game against the Nuggs (Kudos MTV). Basically, what's wrong with him being critical of the team he likes instead of a blind homer?
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#269 » by God Squad » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:43 am

IMO Clip need to run it back with PG and Kawhi. Make a decision on Trez then fill out the roster best you can. LAC is still Los Angels so they should be able to attract players. The problem is ya'll did that last year and the mercenary route didn't work. Just hope Kawhi doesn't "load manage" often and the team can build and practice different rotations during the season for the playoffs.

#FireDoc
lautreamont
Junior
And1: 248

Post#270 » by lautreamont » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:37 pm

God Squad wrote:IMO Clip need to run it back with PG and Kawhi. Make a decision on Trez then fill out the roster best you can. LAC is still Los Angels so they should be able to attract players. The problem is ya'll did that last year and the mercenary route didn't work. Just hope Kawhi doesn't "load manage" often and the team can build and practice different rotations during the season for the playoffs.

#FireDoc

I doubt PG will ever win a championship as a #2. He's no Pippen. He needs to be the third best player on a team, with the reduced pressure that goes along with that.
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#271 » by donemilio21 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:34 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39565474/the-paul-george-trade-created-one-nba-best-duos-birthed-potential-nba-dynasty
Published in ESPN today.

"I even brought it up to Kawhi: 'Are you sure?'" Rivers recalled. "'I think Shai's going to be an amazing player. It may take a year or two, but I think you're underestimating how good Shai's going to be.'
"I didn't argue the decision or anything, but I brought it up. I just thought, is there any way we can do this deal without putting Shai in it?"

I kinda doubt that Doc ever said that.

JALEN WILLIAMS SMILED when he recalled his shocked reaction when Portland's Damian Lillard swished a buzzer-beating, series-ending, sidestep 37-footer over George and the Thunder in April 2019.
Williams was preparing for his freshman year at Santa Clara University, barely a blip on the radar of NBA scouts, much less considered a lottery prospect.
Williams occasionally wonders, what if Lillard didn't make that shot? What if the Thunder came back to win the series? Would George still have been traded to the Clippers?

The answer might be "no" to that. If Thunder had won that series, Presti could have been inclined to keep George and Westbrook together, and Ballmer would have gone after Jimmy Butler to join Kawhi.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#272 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:44 pm

it's hard to believe anything Doc says- basically everything he says is self-serving
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#273 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:53 pm

Doc's BS gets more infuriating to listen to by the year. He took forever to stop playing Avery Bradley over Shai, but now he knew SGA was so great all along - right. Because Doc is famously known for valuing young players and not trading them away impulsively. :roll:
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#274 » by og15 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:40 am

Blast from the past lol

donemilio21 wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39565474/the-paul-george-trade-created-one-nba-best-duos-birthed-potential-nba-dynasty
Published in ESPN today.

"I even brought it up to Kawhi: 'Are you sure?'" Rivers recalled. "'I think Shai's going to be an amazing player. It may take a year or two, but I think you're underestimating how good Shai's going to be.'
"I didn't argue the decision or anything, but I brought it up. I just thought, is there any way we can do this deal without putting Shai in it?"

I kinda doubt that Doc ever said that.

JALEN WILLIAMS SMILED when he recalled his shocked reaction when Portland's Damian Lillard swished a buzzer-beating, series-ending, sidestep 37-footer over George and the Thunder in April 2019.
Williams was preparing for his freshman year at Santa Clara University, barely a blip on the radar of NBA scouts, much less considered a lottery prospect.
Williams occasionally wonders, what if Lillard didn't make that shot? What if the Thunder came back to win the series? Would George still have been traded to the Clippers?

The answer might be "no" to that. If Thunder had won that series, Presti could have been inclined to keep George and Westbrook together, and Ballmer would have gone after Jimmy Butler to join Kawhi.

Considering that according to Doc, he supposedly looked at the Clippers roster before he became the coach and said "What the bleep are we going to do with this" based on the contracts and was just being a martyr coming to the team.

Considering Doc said years later that he never actually believed the Lob City teams could win.

This just sounds like another Doc revisionist history type thing that he actually doesn't need to do at all, but for some reason does it to make himself look better. It's just his personality, we kind of expect this already.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#275 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:40 am

og15 wrote:This just sounds like another Doc revisionist history type thing that he actually doesn't need to do at all

The sad thing is, he actually does need to do this. If he didn't do this, everyone would catch on to him being the only common denominator in 25 years of historic chokejobs across four (soon to be five) franchises. The sole reason he still gets coaching jobs is because of this convoluted web of excuses he's constructed to deflect all blame away from himself.

It still works on people, which is why he keeps doing it. I've seen Bucks fans talk themselves into this hire by convincing themselves that every player he ever coached in the past was a choke artist who he couldn't possibly be expected to win with. This is because Doc will always throw players under the bus for all of his failures.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Post#276 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:50 am

Here we go with the Doc BS again. Shai played 28 minutes in Game 1 and was starting by Game 10 [and every game after that].

And he didn't say he didn't believe they could win. What he DID say is that looking back on the internal chemistry on that team, they couldn't win. I agree and so does Matt Barnes, who said they were their own worst enemy. CP and BG in particular were selfish and kind of asssholes. Instead of leading, they were the worst offenders of all.

Code: Select all

“I’m not trying to take anything away from that [Clippers] team, but that team was never going to win when you look back at it,” Rivers told ESPN’s Malika Andrews on the NBA Today on Thursday. “We just didn’t get along well enough as a group, and you can’t win without cooperation. That’s the only way you can win.”

https://clipperholics.com/2018/04/24/former-la-clipper-matt-barnes-on-lob-city-being-mentally-weak/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#277 » by Clemenza » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:26 am

What was Kawhi thinking.. smh
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 335

Post#278 » by wakelaunch1 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:31 am

Just a terrible Clippers trade.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Post#279 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:52 am

Clemenza wrote:What was Kawhi thinking.. smh

It would be hilarious if Doc is telling the truth that he tried to get Kawhi to back off his demand to trade Shai for a "superstar" or forget it.

I was all over this at the time--you could look it up--maybe the only one who said Kawhi was coming to the Clips regardless. He didn't want to be LeBron's bittch and AD was already a Laker too. [Durant still gets no respect for joining Steph and the Warriors despite 2 rings and Finals MVPs. It was a punk move and always will be.}

Kawhi was NOT going back to 0 degrees Toronto either, instead of sunny SoCal, where he grew up and has his home.

I WAS wrong that I thought Kawhi might sign with the Clips even without trading for PG. But I was also right. He should have.

I don't regret the trade because we got PG AND Kawhi. But Kawhi took the easy way out. If Doc is telling the truth, this is all on KAWHI's head.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
KingCrimzzon
Sophomore
And1: 135

Post#280 » by KingCrimzzon » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:59 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:What was Kawhi thinking.. smh

It would be hilarious if Doc is telling the truth that he tried to get Kawhi to back off his demand to trade Shai for a "superstar" or forget it.

I was all over this at the time--you could look it up--maybe the only one who said Kawhi was coming to the Clips regardless. He didn't want to be LeBron's bittch and AD was already a Laker too. [Durant still gets no respect for joining Steph and the Warriors despite 2 rings and Finals MVPs. It was a punk move and always will be.}

Kawhi was NOT going back to 0 degrees Toronto either, instead of sunny SoCal, where he grew up and has his home.

I WAS wrong that I thought Kawhi might sign with the Clips even without trading for PG. But I was also right. He should have.

I don't regret the trade because we got PG AND Kawhi. But Kawhi took the easy way out. If Doc is telling the truth, this is all on KAWHI's head.

I agree that Kawhi didn't want to play under LeBJ. Interestingly, locally people in LA at the time were confused why Kawhi had taken so long to make his decision when LAL seemed like such a "natural" fit. If we can play some revisionist history here (kinda like Doc does), Kawhi could have just signed with the Clips and then SGA would have emerged they would have had tons of resources to have acquired Kevin Durant (who Kawhi called originally asking him to team up on LAC). That would look alot better now than the second coming of Carmelo Anthony frustrating us (and Kawhi) all day long. :banghead:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers