Clippers Re-Sign Ivica Zubac to 4 Year, $28M Deal

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Re: Clippers Re-Sign Ivica Zubac to 4 Year, $28M Deal 

Post#41 » by Young Sterling » Tue Aug 6, 2019 11:49 pm

50CalClips wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:Zubac's per 36 shows promise. Also remember, poor dude was with the Lakers. That org has a habit of scouting really talented players but not really developing them. Zubac played less minutes in his career than Shai and Shamet... Laker fans just started to realize last season his potential and then he got traded.

Zubac under Doc's and Co's tutelage is gonna be great. If only he took a summer to really buff out in a Giannis fashion, he would really be something special.

Plus, I feel like our FO is gonna play Zubac big minutes and pad up his stats and hype so that if we needed to trade him at the deadline Avery Bradley style, we have that option. Clippers honestly have a lot of good options available during the season for trades and acquisitions if they need it. Hoping they won't though.

What is realistic "big minutes", 24 m/g, 14 pts, 10 rebs?

If we trade Zubac (and who else?), who do we get?

Zubac in limited minutes really garnered some attention around the league when he started for us. Even 24 min with 14/10 would be looked at as a positive trade asset. Take a look at what Raptors did with Jonas Valanciunas' contract. Young big, puts up crazy PER 36 numbers, signed to multi year contract, but traded for Marc Gasol. Gasol is definitely better than Jonas, but guys like Jonas and Zubac have a lot of value to developing teams, whereas certain quality bigs on bad teams will fit better with contenders. If the FO needed to, they could trade for a Gasol type player IF NEED BE. Some players I can think of just off the top of my head:

Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka, Andre Drummond, Clint Capela, Myles Turner, Deandre Jordan, Steven Adams, Jusuf Nurkic (Portland already have Whiteside), Vucevic, Jarrett Allen (Brk already has DJ), and Jakob Poetl. These are just the names I could think of on the fly, imagine the Clippers Scouting and FO lol.

Here's the thing though, I am definitely a fan of Zubac. I don't think we need to make a trade for a Big, but if we needed to, the options are there. I hope we keep Zubac though, he was such a positive acquisition for us.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#42 » by 50CalClips » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:58 am

Young Sterling wrote:
50CalClips wrote:What is realistic "big minutes", 24 m/g, 14 pts, 10 rebs?

If we trade Zubac (and who else?), who do we get?

Zubac in limited minutes really garnered some attention around the league when he started for us. Even 24 min with 14/10 would be looked at as a positive trade asset. Take a look at what Raptors did with Jonas Valanciunas' contract. Young big, puts up crazy PER 36 numbers, signed to multi year contract, but traded for Marc Gasol. Gasol is definitely better than Jonas, but guys like Jonas and Zubac have a lot of value to developing teams, whereas certain quality bigs on bad teams will fit better with contenders. If the FO needed to, they could trade for a Gasol type player IF NEED BE. Some players I can think of just off the top of my head:

Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka, Andre Drummond, Clint Capela, Myles Turner, Deandre Jordan, Steven Adams, Jusuf Nurkic (Portland already have Whiteside), Vucevic, Jarrett Allen (Brk already has DJ), and Jakob Poetl. These are just the names I could think of on the fly, imagine the Clippers Scouting and FO lol.

Here's the thing though, I am definitely a fan of Zubac. I don't think we need to make a trade for a Big, but if we needed to, the options are there. I hope we keep Zubac though, he was such a positive acquisition for us.

But would Toronto do that Ibaka for Zubac?
Houston is not giving us Capela.
Who else would Drummond cost us (cant be just Zubac)?
Etc..

Who is a legitimate likely candidate to get?
I think it would take a NON-Playoff team for a trading partner.

I like Jonas Valanciunas, actually. He'll be putting up 22 and 12 for Memphis. Fairly efficient, fairly defensive... I haven't picked up on his weakness(es), though. Zubac might have more upside (maybe), but Jonas is 27 years old, entering his prime... Zubac doesn't have his man-strength yet.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#43 » by QRich3 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:23 am

Myles Turner can't be gotten, he'd be perfect but he's rightfully untouchable. So is Allen probably. From the rest of that list, only one I'd be interested in would be Adams, and that's only if Zu looks bad in the first half of the season. If he looks solid, he's better value than any of those guys.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,746

Post#44 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:17 pm

QRich3 wrote:Myles Turner can't be gotten, he'd be perfect but he's rightfully untouchable. So is Allen probably. From the rest of that list, only one I'd be interested in would be Adams, and that's only if Zu looks bad in the first half of the season. If he looks solid, he's better value than any of those guys.

I guess if he looks bad (which I really don't see happening), he won't have much trade value anyway.

I think the only scenario where we look to trade Zu is if we think we really need an upgrade at the trade deadline. It doesn't necessarily have to be for a center (although we would need another big somehow), just something to put us over the top.

Here's to hoping it won't be necessary! :lol: :clap:
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#45 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:32 pm

I don’t think we’ll trade Zu—and I think he’ll be a better, more complete player this year. I’m impressed his coachability and willingness to buy into the team culture. Another example of doing things the right way.

Unlike others here, I think he’ll get pretty serious postseason burn too. (And we need to stop thinking/talking about the Warriors. The Warriors as they will be next season are not going to be much like the Warriors have been for the last few years.) Really, the number of teams that have a small, super mobile C is…small. I’m thinking our conference’s other starters at C are Jokic, Nurkic, Capela, Gobert, Adams, Aldridge, Cauley-Stein, Dedmon, Cousins, Towns, Valanciunas, Jahlil Okafor, Dwight Powell, and Ayton. Few (or none) of those guys strikes me as someone that Zubac couldn’t try and stay with

Actually, in general, I think we’re underrating Zu’s mobility. He’s not a fluid guy—but he’s got good speed and decent quickness for a seven footer. Some people seem to think Zubac is some sort of clumsy oaf out there. His footwork isn’t good—but isn’t because of lack of physical speed or grace; it’s lack of defensive knowledge which isn’t unusual in a 21 year old. I think that will improve … I’m about 99.9% sure the reason the coaching staff wants Zu to develop an outside shot is because he *is* moderately capable of staying with perimeter players.

I don’t think 14 points is what he’ll give us—not because Zu isn’t capable, but because he won’t get the minutes or touches. The Clippers have Kawhi, PG, and Lou—that’s a ton of scoring and, more to the point, touches. I think he’ll shoot a little less with us next year—tho’ I’m kinda figuring on him playing 23-27 mpg. His TS% was actually a little lower with us last season; with the better spacing and other scoring we have now, I think that’ll bump up. I’m thinking around 12 and 8.5 with a little over a block in 25 mpg. That would be awesome.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by QRich3 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:40 am

My concern is there are more teams than the Warriors that could play Zu out of the floor in the postseason, Rockets come to mind. In the playoffs, teams are ruthless exposing weaknesses, and unless he improves an unexpected amount, a good guard getting a switch and isolating Zu will feast for free points possession after possession. We've seen guys doing it to Gobert and Embiid, so they can definitely play Zubac out.

We've just seen with the Raptors how important it is to have a team without a big exploitable flaw, probably more important than having top tier talent. I think the league is trending to a place where guys that can't shoot or can't defend in space are getting phased out, and top team will not have guys like that in their rotation. So I can see the concern with Zubac.

Hopefully, besides the 3 point shot, he's been working on his mobility.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#47 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:32 pm

Most players are a potential mismatch at one point or the other, whether they're too small, not quick enough, etc. So while I don't want to totally downplay this factor, I do think what he contributes will in most all cases outweigh the negatives. He switched teams at the all-star break, had injury issues with his hand, and yet I still saw a guy on the floor that helped our team on both ends of the court. IMO he was a significant part of our improved record after the break.

As far as his averages go, I agree with True that his production will be inconsistent based on what's needed on the floor. I think he'll continue to do the things he does well, but also stretch out his range a bit this year.

He is not a fast guy but reasonably mobile enough that he can learn to use his size. He's no Deandre Jordan but he's no Big Country Reeves either. I think he can learn to keep smaller guys in front of him, if obviously not stop true double-threat (drive/3pt) type backcourt players.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#48 » by 50CalClips » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:48 pm

QRich3 wrote:My concern is there are more teams than the Warriors that could play Zu out of the floor in the postseason, Rockets come to mind. In the playoffs, teams are ruthless exposing weaknesses, and unless he improves an unexpected amount, a good guard getting a switch and isolating Zu will feast for free points possession after possession. We've seen guys doing it to Gobert and Embiid, so they can definitely play Zubac out.

We've just seen with the Raptors how important it is to have a team without a big exploitable flaw, probably more important than having top tier talent. I think the league is trending to a place where guys that can't shoot or can't defend in space are getting phased out, and top team will not have guys like that in their rotation. So I can see the concern with Zubac.

Shoot, that's what I hope for. If we're in a situation were we need Zubac, it would worry me more. The Lakers, the Jazz, 76ers could be real trouble... where we would need a big 'big'. Against most teams, we can do with under-sized Montrezl.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#49 » by 50CalClips » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:13 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
QRich3 wrote:Myles Turner can't be gotten, he'd be perfect but he's rightfully untouchable. So is Allen probably. From the rest of that list, only one I'd be interested in would be Adams, and that's only if Zu looks bad in the first half of the season. If he looks solid, he's better value than any of those guys.

I guess if he looks bad (which I really don't see happening), he won't have much trade value anyway.

I think the only scenario where we look to trade Zu is if we think we really need an upgrade at the trade deadline. It doesn't necessarily have to be for a center (although we would need another big somehow), just something to put us over the top.

At this point we're all in. If there's a legitimate, significant, upgrade available at C/PF... we make that trade. Honestly, I think that's one of the objectives; we're still not done building this team.

As skilled as he may be, as productive as he may be, we have a boy at Center. He is more valuable to up-n-coming teams. We're in "Win Now" mode.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#50 » by TheNewEra » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:26 pm

50CalClips wrote:
QRich3 wrote:My concern is there are more teams than the Warriors that could play Zu out of the floor in the postseason, Rockets come to mind. In the playoffs, teams are ruthless exposing weaknesses, and unless he improves an unexpected amount, a good guard getting a switch and isolating Zu will feast for free points possession after possession. We've seen guys doing it to Gobert and Embiid, so they can definitely play Zubac out.

Shoot, that's what I hope for. If we're in a situation were we need Zubac, it would worry me more. The Lakers, the Jazz, 76ers could be real trouble... where we would need a big 'big'. Against most teams, we can do with under-sized Montrezl.

Reason one of the last two spots will go to Dwight or Noah
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#51 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:31 pm

50CalClips wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

At this point we're all in. If there's a legitimate, significant, upgrade available at C/PF... we make that trade. Honestly, I think that's one of the objectives; we're still not done building this team.

As skilled as he may be, as productive as he may be, we have a boy at Center. He is more valuable to up-n-coming teams. We're in "Win Now" mode.

I guess if there's 1 (or 2) things we have learned about our FO, we're always in 'win now' mode, and we never stop trying to improve the team. Trading Blake in what seemed like the middle of the night was crazy, then Tobias, then KL and PG to top everything. So no matter how well we play, nothing would surprise me going forward...
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#52 » by 50CalClips » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:25 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
50CalClips wrote:Shoot, that's what I hope for. If we're in a situation were we need Zubac, it would worry me more. The Lakers, the Jazz, 76ers could be real trouble... where we would need a big 'big'. Against most teams, we can do with under-sized Montrezl.

Reason one of the last two spots will go to Dwight or Noah

Those two have the size and the defensive-pedigree, if you will, that we should have interest in... but the more I think about it, I question the "fit".

Maybe I have the wrong perception of Noah, but he seems to be an ego-driven guy. I like the idea of Noah... hard working dude, doesn't take ****, a solid on-the-court player... but egotistical as a person. Could his personality undermind the atmosphere in the locker room? With Dwight there's less risk in that respect... but then on the other hand, he's kinda soft , aint he?
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#53 » by mkwest » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#54 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:21 pm

So, how many centers have the Lakers distributed to the rest of the league over the past year or so? Zubac, Brook Lopez, Randle, Thomas Bryant... I'm probably forgetting someone. They got nothing for them, and I think all are legit starters in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#55 » by mkwest » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:So, how many centers have the Lakers distributed to the rest of the league over the past year or so? Zubac, Brook Lopez, Randle, Thomas Bryant... I'm probably forgetting someone. They got nothing for them, and I think all are legit starters in the NBA.

Having to pay Deng's dead $5M in stretched salary took away any breathing room that they could have had. Zubac had a very small cap hold in just under $2M. Trading him away did not open up any more cap space for them, so it just didn't make any sense to me to not even go after some 2nds. I understand that they were hoping to sign a 3rd max player. Then they could have just renounced Zubac this summer. I'm not mad about it though :)
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#56 » by TheNewEra » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:59 pm

mkwest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looking for a breakout season let him get 22-24mpg
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#57 » by esqtvd » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:45 am

@LAClippersFilm wrote:
"With Zubac off the floor, LAC's D-rating was an unsightly 111.7 per-100 possessions, a number only slightly better than some of the worst defenses in the league. With the big man on court, however, that number jumped to 106.1, a top-four rating overall."

Does this mean we were crap with Trezz at the 5?
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by QRich3 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 am

We were around league average with Trez on the floor last year (110.0), slightly better than the Rockets 17th defense. Not great, but certainly not crap.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#59 » by esqtvd » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:30 am

QRich3 wrote:We were around league average with Trez on the floor last year (110.0), slightly better than the Rockets 17th defense. Not great, but certainly not crap.

If Gortat is included in those stats the crap is accounted for.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers