ImageImageImageImageImage

14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#1 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:46 pm

We’ve resigned Motley to a two-way, which I think is great. He can do what he did last year … get called up in injury situation to play 10-15 mpg for a few games, play spot minutes at other times. He’s exactly what we want and need as a two-way player.

But that also means we’ve still got two roster spots … and I’m thinking that signing Motley as a two way means we’re going to fill those spots with vets on minimum contracts. The way I see it, we need around 700-900 minutes at C, PF, and SF; mainly PF. A little of that will get filled by Motley. And we need 400-600 minutes at the PG spot—just there. Those numbers could move around in case of more injuries, of course, or if a young player like Kabengele or Mann breaks out even a little bit and can play a little more. But here’s what I think about is remaining. I’m probably missing people, so drop in anyone else you think might be a good fit and talk about what we could/should do.

The PG:

Shaun Livingston—Well, of course. Perfect fit. Probably stays with GSW, but we gotta be asking.
Trey Burke—Veteran; competent backup PG. Pretty much exactly what we want—except he’s a #2 PG and we’re looking for a #3. Doubt we can get him.
Shelvin Mack—Veteran combo guard; (more than) enough of a PG for us. Like Burke, he’s more a backup than a #3 PG/12th man. Doubt we can get him.
Devin Harris—Old; coming off a poor year. But that was a poor team with a lineup in transition. More turnovers than I’d like. If he plays near what he did in the previous two years, he’d be good.
Jeremy Lin—Nice comeback in ATL; not so much so in TOR. Still getting his range back after missing a year, which is typical. Lesser defender; more TO.
Raymond Felton—Slipping; still a good passer who is very good at protecting the ball.
Jose Calderon—Old. Bad year in 2019 … but with a semi-messed up team. Had (very) solid years in 2017-8 doing a lot of what we want. Bad D; protects the ball extremely well.

The SF/PF/C

Joakim Noah—Always loved him. Good comeback year last year. May get more on the FA market—but may want a ring, and we can probably give the best shot at that. If he can stay with big PFs, he’s our guy.
Luol Deng—Maybe/Probably better for us than Noah; we’ve got more of a need at PF and big SF than at C, IMO. When he played last year, he was good. Would he be able to, like last year, fill in for 20-25 mpg for a dozen or so games in case of an injury. And get spotty time in other games? If so, snag him.
Jon Leuer—More of a C—but he plays enough at PF. Smart player. Capable. Had a pretty good comeback year. He’d fill the need.
Lance Thomas—Bad year last year … but with a dumpster fire of a team. Good teammate.

Thoughts?
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#2 » by illastrate » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:14 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:We’ve resigned Motley to a two-way, which I think is great. He can do what he did last year … get called up in injury situation to play 10-15 mpg for a few games, play spot minutes at other times. He’s exactly what we want and need as a two-way player.

But that also means we’ve still got two roster spots … and I’m thinking that signing Motley as a two way means we’re going to fill those spots with vets on minimum contracts. The way I see it, we need around 700-900 minutes at C, PF, and SF; mainly PF. A little of that will get filled by Motley. And we need 400-600 minutes at the PG spot—just there. Those numbers could move around in case of more injuries, of course, or if a young player like Kabengele or Mann breaks out even a little bit and can play a little more. But here’s what I think about is remaining. I’m probably missing people, so drop in anyone else you think might be a good fit and talk about what we could/should do.

The PG:

Shaun Livingston—Well, of course. Perfect fit. Probably stays with GSW, but we gotta be asking.

Thoughts?

Well, not necessarily, according to him:

And there is one club in particular – the Los Angeles Clippers, with whom he began his pro career 15 years ago -- that would make Livingston’s decision for him if they come calling.

“That would be awesome, the ideal fit,” Livingston said. “That would be a part of coming full circle. But it has to work on their end. If there’s a spot, an opportunity, that would probably make the most sense. There’s been some interest (on the Clippers’ part). It’s about whether they’re ready to pull the trigger.”

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190725/one-last-ride-shaun-livingston-discusses-his-future
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#3 » by TheNewEra » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:15 pm

I’m for Burke and Howard or trade and Noah. Robinson and McGruder seem more like injury insurance players
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#4 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Livingston please. Yes, I know it's more for nostalgia and he's done mostly, but he will be a 3rd string PG. It would be a special Clippers moment to bring it back full circle, ESPECIALLY if we win it.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,882

Post#5 » by esqtvd » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:29 pm

I'd rather leave our options open for our 3rd string PG and 4th string PF
a lot happens after training camp not to mention in January or so

just not feeling Shaun
this is not how I want to start a new era

“Cold tub, hot tub, cryotherapy, massage therapy, weight room, ice baths,” he said. “It’s constant, constant, constant. If I’m doing all that and still feeling the way I’m feeling, those are yellow and red flags. Back-to-back games are a lot harder now. I feel like I’ve aged a lot faster with the injuries catching up.”
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers

Post#6 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:50 pm

I’d like to have Liv … but the fact that he’s talking about the Clipper’s pulling the trigger seems (to me) to indicate that maybe Liv wants more than a vet minimum deal. We don’t have that. And, tbh, we are talking about a low rotation player. Liv played almost 1000 minutes last year; I’d be surprised if the PG we picked up played half of that. Okay, 60%--but still. Maybe I’m wrong there.

TheNewEra wrote:I’m for Burke and Howard or trade and Noah. Robinson and McGruder seem more like injury insurance players

The thing about McGruder is that his numbers don’t correctly reflect his value (and his numbers, actually, are decent). He has been primarily playing as a starter and going against starters … and Rodney McGruder is not an NBA caliber starter. But as a mid-level rotation player—fifth guy coming off the bench, playing 12-15 mpg primarily against second teams—he’s more effective. I think he’s more than insurance; he’s basically what we hoped Sin or Ty would develop into (as esqtvd said a while ago). We’re talking about a guy who started and played 23-25 mpg on .500 teams. On a championship level team, he’s a low rotation guy IMO—but he is a rotation guy—a 10th man that plays 800-900 minutes in a season.

As for Rome, here’s the deal; I think he’ll be given the opportunity to earn minutes. If he can produce and be effective in a role, he’ll get time. If not, he won’t. I expect him to get 10-15 mpg in the early part of the year. If he wants to keep getting those minutes, he needs to produce. So, yeah, sorta insurance. He's competing with McGruder and Mann and whoever we sign for playing time.

I’d like to wait until well into training camp or even into the season…but I think the vets that could fulfill the roles we would have will be picked off by then. Pau just got picked up Portland; he looked (real) old last year.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,380

Post#7 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:49 pm

I think Nene should be considered as a back up center. Maybe Noah as well- he’s looked somewhat recovered last season.

I think Livingston looked kinda washed up last season. Burke has had his moments in the nba where he looks quite serviceable- maybe give him a shot
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,380

Post#8 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:51 pm

I also wouldn’t mind exploring Vince Carter. He can still shoot and is a decent rotation player. Might need somebody who can play the 3 considering the health problems of pg13 and Kawhi
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,882

Post#9 » by esqtvd » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:33 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I also wouldn’t mind exploring Vince Carter. He can still shoot and is a decent rotation player. Might need somebody who can play the 3 considering the health problems of pg13 and Kawhi

NB

Read on Twitter

I don't see the point of signing old guys this early
if they're still ticking in the spring we can get 'em for cheap
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#10 » by 50CalClips » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:18 am

Joakim Noah, even though I don't like the guy, is probably what we need most.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#11 » by nickhx2 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:27 am

if he has anything left i think he could be useful. i'd heard he had some pretty solid games last year, so if that's the case then i think it's a good idea. at same time it's a hard balance because you wanna give the rookie some PT but he seems to be really raw.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#12 » by nickhx2 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:32 am

also i kept hearing that liv is pretty done as an nba athlete, and i didn't watch him play at all last year so i would wanna know if anyone else has observed that to be the case.

he's the kind of guy you want though to add for a championship run. but that said it seems like mann looks like he could be an impact player and you wanna give him as much development as possible going into the playoffs.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#13 » by playaloc916 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 am

nickhx2 wrote:also i kept hearing that liv is pretty done as an nba athlete, and i didn't watch him play at all last year so i would wanna know if anyone else has observed that to be the case.

he's the kind of guy you want though to add for a championship run. but that said it seems like mann looks like he could be an impact player and you wanna give him as much development as possible going into the playoffs.

I feel the same. While he's still a decent player, the injuries are going to catch up sooner or later, and at the price he probably commands, I'd rather see what Mann can do. If he struggles, there's bound to be a stop-gap guard throughout the season that could be picked up for cheap.
Seems like Noah made a pretty decent comeback last season. Not sure how much he is asking, but I'd be happy with him on the bench to give us some size and defense. If that knucklehead Larry Sanders wasn't so out there, he could've been interesting, since I think he's starting to play in the Big 3 League.
As much as I think Dwight could be a low risk high reward player, I just think his personality is going to cause issues in the locker room. Pretty much all of our players are low ego, hard working team players. Even though he says he's matured and stuff, I just think he's going to be a distraction, and that's something we can live without.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#14 » by nickhx2 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:18 am

i'm ok with a hard pass on dwight, as i imagine most of us are. hard to think of any serviceable bigs out there, unfortunately. just hope noah can be had on the cheap and is playable still.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#15 » by mkwest » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:50 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I'm more than fine rolling with 14 to start the season and leave a little flexibility for future moves.

Livy would be cool from a nostalgic standpoint. Although, he was riding on fumes last season.

Out of the bigs, I wouldn't mind Noah. He's kind of who I have been hoping for. It's kind of crazy how things have gone with Dwight. He claims to be over himself, but who really knows?

I want someone that is capable in a pinch, but not going to complain about lack of playing time.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#16 » by QRich3 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:52 pm

I don't want any more big men, we have Trez as the main guy, Zu as the token starter who can play up to 20 mins a game, and Mfi as the injury insurance/garbage time big that needs to be getting play time bit by bit. Plus JaMychal who'll get playing time there depending on the match up. It's already way too crowded, no room for anyone else.

I wanted Burke for the 3rd string PG role, but he's gone, so I'm ok with one of Bayless, Harris or Lin. Did Felton retire already? :lol:
Eff Livingston, he's old and a bad player now, and he loved to run his mouth about us when he played for the Warriors. He burned the bridge for that comeback storyline, as far as I'm concerned.

Last spot should remain open for possible buyouts.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#17 » by TheNewEra » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:41 pm

Better get a strong workout from Lin if he’s getting a roster spot
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers

Post#18 » by TrueLAfan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:29 pm

QRich3 wrote:I don't want any more big men, we have Trez as the main guy, Zu as the token starter who can play up to 20 mins a game, and Mfi as the injury insurance/garbage time big that needs to be getting play time bit by bit. Plus JaMychal who'll get playing time there depending on the match up. It's already way too crowded, no room for anyone else.

I'm cool with keeping the last spot open--but I figure that should be for the PG. I actually think with Sham, McGruder and Rome, not to mention Mann, playing at the 2, most of Lou's minutes will be at the 1. Getting 3500-3600 minutes at the point out of Lou and Bev at point shouldn't be too hard. Sham and Mann cold make up the rest of the difference

OTOH, we're still a little light at PF. If Kawhi and PG play 4100 combined minutes at forward, and Green get 400 out of, say 1850 minutes at C, that means Harkless will essentially be splitting his time between SF and PF ... and if he plays 1500 minutes (which is what I expect) and Kabengele gets a little time, we're around 600-700 short, mainly at PF.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#19 » by Vae Victus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:16 pm

Lin and DHo

Lin has potential to be a top notch backup PG who can start in a pinch assuming he can get his legs back under him.

DHo is still strong and athletic enough to hang with heavyweights like Embiid and Jokic.

Both players need to earn their minutes and roles. Whoever decides to be a pouty bitch about lack of PT and touches can get cut. Lin is a good soldier who’ll keep his mouth shut, but if he physically can’t go then cutting him isn’t a big deal and use his slot for a buyout player. DHo is more likely to be a locker room issue, but if he keeps his head screwed on straight he can be a HUGE weapon off the bench against certain matchups.

Both have potential to help a lot if they pan out, both can be easily replaced if better options present themselves during the season.

Clippers are on the cusp and need every little edge they can get to go over the top.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#20 » by QRich3 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:46 am

TrueLAfan wrote:
QRich3 wrote:I don't want any more big men, we have Trez as the main guy, Zu as the token starter who can play up to 20 mins a game, and Mfi as the injury insurance/garbage time big that needs to be getting play time bit by bit. Plus JaMychal who'll get playing time there depending on the match up. It's already way too crowded, no room for anyone else.

I'm cool with keeping the last spot open--but I figure that should be for the PG. I actually think with Sham, McGruder and Rome, not to mention Mann, playing at the 2, most of Lou's minutes will be at the 1. Getting 3500-3600 minutes at the point out of Lou and Bev at point shouldn't be too hard. Sham and Mann cold make up the rest of the difference

OTOH, we're still a little light at PF. If Kawhi and PG play 4100 combined minutes at forward, and Green get 400 out of, say 1850 minutes at C, that means Harkless will essentially be splitting his time between SF and PF ... and if he plays 1500 minutes (which is what I expect) and Kabengele gets a little time, we're around 600-700 short, mainly at PF.

I think I'm ok with that, Harkless played a lot of 4 in Portland, and PF's are just wings in today's NBA really, SG-SF-PF is just wings of different sizes nowadays. I'm ok with Jerome-McGruder-Harkless being that combo off the bench for any period of time.

If Bev or Lou get a long injury however (and they're old enough for it to be a worry), I'm not ok with Sham or Jerome being our main ballhandler for long stretches, I think that'd be a problem.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers