Clippers Sign Derrick Walton, Jr. to Exhibit 10 Deal

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Clippers Sign Derrick Walton, Jr. to Exhibit 10 Deal 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:44 pm

Read on Twitter

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: Clippers Sign Derrick Walton, Jr. to Exhibit 10 Deal 

Post#2 » by esqtvd » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Basically, a camp body who gets a kicker if he joins our G-League team. I see the Clippers are also expected to sign James Palmer, who played with the Suns' summer League team.

These one-year deals are often non-guaranteed, which lets NBA teams waive the player and remove their cap hit from the team payroll.

Exhibit 10 attachments allow players to earn a bonus of $5,000 to $50,000 in the event that they are waived by the NBA team, then sign a deal with that franchise’s G League affiliate* and remain with that affiliate team for 60 days. This bonus does not count against the NBA salary cap.

NBA teams may have no more than six players with Exhibit 10 attachments in their contracts on their roster.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/cba-explained-exhibit-10-contracts/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#3 » by QRich3 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Maybe he can be the 3rd string PG? I haven’t seen a lot of him but if he performs well, he sounds like a good fit for this team.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#4 » by esqtvd » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:31 pm

QRich3 wrote:Maybe he can be the 3rd string PG? I haven’t seen a lot of him but if he performs well, he sounds like a good fit for this team.

The Exhibit 10 bonus is an extra enticement to sign with Agua Caliente instead of somewhere else. Absent him getting offered a 2-way deal from another team, he'll be just down the road in Ontario if we ever need him.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Clips Nation Player Preview 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:18 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#6 » by illastrate » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:53 pm

Does anybody think Walton will make the squad, perhaps on a non guaranteed deal?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#7 » by esqtvd » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:12 am

see above

I don't think there's any need to give a roster spot to a spare part G-Leaguer
the Exhibit 10 bonus is enough of a sweetner to stay with the org

if somebody offers him a 2-way deal somewhere he'll take that but otherwise he's already here
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#8 » by esqtvd » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:32 pm

illastrate wrote:Does anybody think Walton will make the squad, perhaps on a non guaranteed deal?

Great call, Illastrate [and QRich before that]. Me, I'd rather have seen a big but I guess there's nothing out there. And since it's non-guaranteed until January 10 when it locks in, this costs the Clippers nothing, really. They can bump Walton anytime, if and when somebody turns up.

With Mann green as grass, and Shamet having a bad preseason, Walton is insurance and may even see some minutes early on.

Read on Twitter

From Robert Homie Flom:

he was the only “non-roster” player to get significant playing time, clearly a cut above the rest of the training camp invitees as well as serving a far greater use to the Clippers as a point guard. Now, he’s made the Clippers roster, albeit tenuously as a non-guaranteed contract on a team likely to make moves.

As I wrote about in his season preview, Walton is a steady presence on the court on both ends. His lack of size and top-tier athleticism will prevent him from ever being a star or probably even starter in the NBA, but he’s quick, can shoot (37.7% from three in G-League in 2018 on high volume), is a solid playmaker, and is surprisingly tough defensively. Most importantly, Walton rarely makes mistakes, a good attribute for a point guard to have, and one especially important on the Clippers, a team on which the point guards will mostly be relied upon to simply get the team into sets and then go with the flow. Walton’s shooting and ability to play off-ball makes him a nice fit with the Clippers offense, and his ability to apply on-ball pressure will serve as a nice replacement for Pat Beverley’s services defensively (though he’s nowhere close to Pat, of course).

Terance Mann and Landry Shamet’s struggles getting the Clippers’ offense into motion in preseason, along with Walton’s own solid play, made this a fairly easy decision for the Clippers.

https://www.clipsnation.com/2019/10/21/20925915/derrick-walton-jr-makes-clippers-roster-as-15th-man

Read on Twitter
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

Forever Small 

Post#9 » by Wammy Giveaway » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:16 pm

By signing Walton, a point guard, the Clippers have accepted their fate as a small ball team. With no true centers behind Zubac (the rest of their options are forward-sized at best, maximum 6'9"), the pressure is all on him to be their front court leader. Can Doc Rivers make a Kendrick Perkins 2.0 out of Zubac, or are we really gonna see a center-less Clippers team this year?
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: Forever Small 

Post#10 » by TucsonClip » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:By signing Walton, a point guard, the Clippers have accepted their fate as a small ball team. With no true centers behind Zubac (the rest of their options are forward-sized at best, maximum 6'9"), the pressure is all on him to be their front court leader. Can Doc Rivers make a Kendrick Perkins 2.0 out of Zubac, or are we really gonna see a center-less Clippers team this year?

This will not be the roster post-buyout market.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#11 » by Yogatti » Mon Dec 9, 2019 6:41 pm

https://streamable.com/qgzsr

Play Derrick Walton Jr more. Less T-Mann and Jerome
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#12 » by Young Sterling » Mon Dec 9, 2019 9:42 pm

This guy is a true point guard with solid all around skills to build off of. I wanna see how he plays with Kawhi and PG as a starter. He can actually reward cutters. He's also racking up assists, 3rd place last I checked, in the G League which is always a good sign.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers