ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Fan Survey Series: Where you from, homie?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Which best describes you?

Born, Raised, and currently Lives in So Cal
35%
Born and Raised in So Cal, currently Lives elsewhere
24%
Born in So Cal, Raised elsewhere, consider myself being "from So Cal"
No votes
Born in So Cal, Raised elsewhere, don't consider myself being "from So Cal"
No votes
Born elsewhere, Raised in So Cal, consider myself being "from So Cal"
6%
Born elsewhere, Raised in So Cal, don't consider myself being "from So Cal"
No votes
Born and Raised elsewhere, Moved to So Cal as an adult
12%
Never Lived in So Cal
24%

Total votes: 17

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Re: Clippers Fan Survey Series: Where you from, homie? 

Post#21 » by esqtvd » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:29 am

Quake Griffin wrote:I thought the Pond was built after 1992, so I wikid the 1992 playoffs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_NBA_playoffs

Looks like the game was at the Anaheim Convention Center (where I've caught other basketball contests before).

Then I looked this up.

I find it unbelievable that that place has actually hosted an NBA playoff game within the last 30 years.

#SterlingYears

because the riots

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-clippers-jazz-riots-20170416-story.html

Bring your Sports Arena ticket to Anaheim, fans were told. First come, first served.

With 11,000 tickets sold for Game 4, there would not be enough seats for everyone. The NBA insisted upon an adjacent viewing room with televisions.

“Once you got your seat, you didn’t want to get out,” Lahr says. “Nobody wanted to go to the bathroom because somebody else would grab their seat.”

Not even an electrical failure in the first quarter, which forced officials to use a hand-held air horn instead of the venue’s buzzer, could dampen spirits.

“If I could have hoped,” coach Larry Brown said at the time, “I would have hoped for this.”

With the score close and less than 2 minutes remaining, Manning made two free throws and Smith scored on a layup. Rivers — providing the postseason leadership the team had needed — weaved into the lane and flipped a shot into the air.

The ball hung on the rim a moment before dropping in.

The Clippers ultimately outscored Utah 11-2 in those final moments to cement a 115-107 victory.

“It was like, for the people of L.A., the first time they could come out of their houses and rejoice,” he says. “I remember that.”
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#22 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:01 pm

This is what happens you get old and your memory starts going. :lol: It WAS the Convention Center. You had to line up early to get tickets, since it was smaller than the Sports Arena—I totally forgot about that. It was small and epically loud. I remember the volume. The Pond games were a couple of years later—now that I think about it, I remember seeing the Suns there during the big losing streak at the beginning of the 94-95 season, when I was home from school. I saw another game there that was moved because of the Northridge Quake. Both were great—but it was probably because both were huge sell out crowds. The announced crowds at the Sports Arena were usually around 9000—and that was overestimating by, maybe, 50 percent. I’m not kidding.

But, yeah, the Convention Center! It was probably the loudest game I’ve ever seen. You walked out of that after a playoff win thinking, “maybe we can get this going!” When we started playing in the Pond and every game there was a sellout, you thought “We should do this!” And it never happened. :banghead:
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#23 » by playaloc916 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:48 pm

Born in Vancouver, but have lived in Toronto for the past 8-9 years. Followed the team casually for a few years, but become a real fan during the EB/Mobley/Cassell years.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#24 » by 50CalClips » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:47 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:
50CalClips wrote:You must have watch the Clippers play in Anaheim(?)

I don't know/remember too much of those days, just how often would they play at the Pond? Was there a feeling that the Clippers were more "our team" (more than the Lakers) for people in OC because they played home games there?...

Yup. I saw both Game 4 playoff home games--92 vs. Jazz, 93 vs. Rockets. That Rockets series was epic.

The 92 Jazz game 4 was in the Pond. It was 100 times better as a basketball arena than the Sports Arena. I only saw 2 games at the Pond, but I loved it there. Everyone did. Everyone in 91 thought we'd move there. Yeah, it felt like "our" place. Great arena, great crowds. We had a great coach and a super young playoff team. And it all went to $#/!...

The Clippers should do that again, maybe not for Playoff games but a few regular season games per season should be held in Orange Co. As a show of appreciation, of sorts, to let them know "we" are their team (too).

And while we're at it, it'd be nice to show a gesture of appreciation to Riverside an San Bernardino. The Toyota Arena is a bit small by NBA standards but it might be suitable enough.

I just feel like inviting everyone to the party.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm in a welcoming mood... this team... the timing... the global attention/L.A. is BBall Mecca... we are about to re-define what it means to be the L.A. Clippers. Lets do it -right- fun.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#25 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:21 pm

Is the Honda Center still a state of the art arena? I haven't been there in about 10 years. The last time I was there was for CIF Southern Section Championships and James Harden was in high school.

Has it been updated?

Nonetheless. I wouldn't mind going back to Orange County. I also wouldn't mind ESPNtv's idea of showing off free games. We'd be the most likeable contender in recent memory and we could actually grow our fanbase.

I can see Laker forum brehs coming over here to hate now.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Post#26 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:51 am

MY national BB team was leading the game 1 point and will go to the line 4 freaking times aganist USA team with less than 3 seconds! to finish and lost the game 2 days ago. That's where I am from. Phuck!

Cassell-Mobley-Ross-Brand-Kaman-Livingston-Maggette-Radmanovic-Wilcox Baby!
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#27 » by Forte IV » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:36 pm

Born and raised in LA, just moved to Milwaukee this year
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#28 » by Forte IV » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:38 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Born and raised in South Central Los Angeles.

Dad had Season tickets from 2000 to just a few years ago.

Currently living/working in Wisconsin.
Enjoying it too.

Yo what part of Wisconsin lol. Cuz I just moved to Milwaukee in January
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#29 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:38 pm

Forte IV wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Born and raised in South Central Los Angeles.

Dad had Season tickets from 2000 to just a few years ago.

Currently living/working in Wisconsin.
Enjoying it too.

Yo what part of Wisconsin lol. Cuz I just moved to Milwaukee in January

Western portion.
Smaller town about an hour and 15 from Minneapolis.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers