ImageImageImageImageImage

New Jerseys

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: New Jerseys 

Post#21 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:18 am

Being from South Central, I’m gonna stick with these just being East LA Clipper jerseys.

They went to HS with the Golden Boy.

And nothings wrong with that as far as East LA goes.
The jerseys just are not dope....at all.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#22 » by esqtvd » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:49 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Being from South Central, I’m gonna stick with these just being East LA Clipper jerseys.

They went to HS with the Golden Boy.

And nothings wrong with that as far as East LA goes.
The jerseys just are not dope....at all.

LOL yeah I was getting that this doesn't score with OG's like you Q. Did Ballmer Inc. miss the mark completely or is there an LA hip hop vibe that's more inclusive than just West Coast rap. Hell, South-Central is now majority Latino and suburban white boys with disposable income are the biggest consumers.

I mean, yeah, he's Latino but my first impression of the logo was tattoos, and sure enough the designer is

The Source, “the magazine of hip-hop music, culture & politics,” has dubbed Mister Cartoon “hip-hop's official tattoo artist.”

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-nov-02-tm-tattoo44-story.html

Hey, I'm just an old rocker. I don't know def from dope. I only know what I read in the papers.

https://theathletic.com/1295877/2019/10/16/its-dope-the-inspiration-behind-the-clippers-new-jerseys-and-rebrand-with-mister-cartoon/

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#23 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:58 am

I don’t mind the black part- it has basically become an alternate team color. However, last season’s city edition uniforms were far better- they should have kept those
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#24 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:18 am

i think white lettering on all black jerseys would have been cooler, fwiw
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#25 » by Young Sterling » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:50 am

These jerseys are fire. At first they kinda looked a bit odd to me, but it's just pretty unique. It's actually super clean and literally I've only heard good things about it from ppl directly, but I see a bunch of goons trashing it on twitter.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#26 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm good with the jerseys too. I don't really give a **** about how dope it looks; I can guarantee you that there were lots and lots and lots and lots of focus groups that concluded "this will play to the audience(s) we have and want to attract." This is about as OG as a Taylor Swift concert. It's orchestrated to the second and totally out of our hands.

For me--simple, clean, elegant. I like 'em.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#27 » by clipperlover » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Maybe if they went with the blue lettering and red numbers they would look better. I hate the black jerseys we have been wearing also. I like the normal blue unis from last season and would like to have see a red. Didn't care for the City edition last year.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#28 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:04 pm

agree.

still pretty sad that they've never gone back to the bold red/bold blue cursive clippers unis, or even the light blue ones (the ones from the cp3 era). those ones were the best by far, out of any i've seen.

NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#29 » by NippySudz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Wack.

I'm glad someone agrees. Looks like the jersey was made by downloading the font from dafont.com and made in MS paint. Uninspiring and lazy, but maybe it'll grow on me if they win a hella lot mroe games in those jerseys. Not only that, the court is lazy too. Only thing they changed was the middle of the floor to the old english font.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#30 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:53 pm

nickhx2 wrote:agree.

still pretty sad that they've never gone back to the bold red/bold blue cursive clippers unis, or even the light blue ones (the ones from the cp3 era). those ones were the best by far, out of any i've seen.

Praise God for those light blues.

I'd do anything to get them back.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#31 » by 50CalClips » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:44 am

Somehow, this LAFC (hoodie) design looks better... despite very similar style as the Clippers "City" edition...

Read on Twitter
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#32 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:15 am

This is all I see

Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,204

Post#33 » by Max Headrom » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:24 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:This is all I see

Mr. Cartoon is the one responsible for the GTA art as well so, it was definitely intentional seeing that San Andreas was based off of LA
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#34 » by esqtvd » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:48 am

Max Headrom wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:This is all I see

Mr. Cartoon is the one responsible for the GTA art as well so, it was definitely intentional seeing that San Andreas was based off of LA

Yes, Mr. Quake & I already covered all this. As an OG, Q disowns Mr. Cartoon's work as "East LA" and thus not dope; I submitted the larger LA hip-hop culture is inclusive of not just West Coast rap, but Mr. Cartoon and his tribe too.

I don't think Quake is buying it :wink: , but the only question now is whether younger fans of all tribes [incl whiteboys] will. As a student of cultural history---and a whiteboy of a certain age [meaning I ain't buying any of this sht either LOL]---my interest in this is only academic at this point. As hip-hop culture is not only syncretic but ultimately vindicated only by its commerciality, I'm interested to see if Ballmer, Inc's purchase of the services of Mr. Cartoon, the official tattooist of hip-hop since the early '00's, will result in cultural impact, i.e....well, merch sales.

I'm also going to bet South-Central Q is correct and you won't see anyone with genuine rap cred wearing this design. In his way, Q is almost always correct. I'll be watching that angle.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#35 » by esqtvd » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:16 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:agree.

Praise God for those light blues.

I'd do anything to get them back.

Science suggests that red is more aggressive and successful.

https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2017/Wear-Red-and-Youll-Win-Gold

For that reason, I always thought those Sunday light blues were lame. I'd love to see the data, i.e., our record in baby blue. I mean if it works because it calms you down I'm all for it. But it just makes me want a nice warm bottle and a nap.

Your call, Quake. Give this to your nephew to wear around South-Central. "Oh my life sure changed when Uncle Quake gifted me with this..."

Nothing said don't f*** with me I'm badasss like this Clipper uni ever ever.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers