ImageImageImageImageImage

Landry Shamet - The Clippers X-Factor or a Luxury?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Landry Shamet - The Clippers X-Factor or a Luxury? 

Post#1 » by 50CalClips » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:49 am

***General Landry Shamet Thread***

-------------

To kick off the thread:

In terms of Championship aspirations, Landry Shamet needs to ... (get healthy, and)... fulfill his promise/potential as the threat from 3 that opponents fear.

Or... is/will his contribution be more of a "luxury"? Do we not "need" him to be that threat, necessarily?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: Landry Shamet - The Clippers X-Factor or a Luxury? 

Post#2 » by esqtvd » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:34 am

50CalClips wrote:***General Landry Shamet Thread***

-------------

To kick off the thread:

In terms of Championship aspirations, Landry Shamet needs to ... (get healthy, and)... fulfill his promise/potential as the threat from 3 that opponents fear.

Or... is will his contribution be more of a "luxury"? Do we not "need" him to be that threat, necessarily?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Opps are going to gum up the pick'n'roll all year. PG-Kawhi-Harrell and also Zubac can run it too. Pat, Green and especially Shamet will benefit, and whoever's the deadliest is going to be out there when we need points. I'm not sure that's going to be Pat every night. Shamet may be the guy.

Whoever plays with PG and Kawhi and Trezz is gonna be the openest guy in the history of the universe.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#3 » by clipsfever » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:54 am

I'd say that maybe combo-trading some of the Shamet - Jerome - Kabengele - Mo (contract)- McGruder (contract) bunch into a single, 3rd monster for the hydra-head could be a championship move (if injuries don't chew into our depth before the trade market heats up).

Pat, Lou, PG, Klaw, Trez, Green, Zu (plus Mann?) already makes up the bulk of a playoff rotation... one more heavyweight added to the mix could be devastating.

(I have this re-occurring daydream that Iggy gets bought-out, passes thru waivers and signs with us... and then we feel safe to combine Harkless and/or McGruder's contracts plus youngsters to bring back Gallo, or someone even better)
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#4 » by nickhx2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:38 am

meh. dunno.

feels like right now we have pretty much every tool we need, save for a true star-level PG.

i think shamet can contribute, even though he's had a slow start to the season. i don't think much of jerome or fi. but i do think hark and mcgruder are valuable to this team and will become really, really useful once the team starts to develop some cohesion.

harkless has this uncanny ability to play some legit defense and get some really nifty steals when you're not at all expecting it. mcgruder is doing some good things on D as well. so i think those are the players we want to keep because it might turn our defensive unit from really good into something special.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#5 » by playaloc916 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:38 pm

After the past few games, I've actually forgotten about Shamet, lol. I think him and McGruder are somewhat interchangeable, filling the 3&D guard role, with Shamet being the better 3pt shooter while McGruder is the better defender. Before the season began, I thought Shamet would have a breakout year and would be absolutely huge with spacing the floor, but before getting injured, he's had a very average start to the season.

Hopefully he works things out while recovering from his injury. If he starts hitting 3's with more consistency, Doc would get his "Ray Allen" again, and the offense would be really tough to stop.

And Mann needs more minutes... He hasn't had many opportunities, but his passing and driving would be most welcomed when the offense gets stagnant.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#6 » by 50CalClips » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:16 pm

esqtvd wrote:
50CalClips wrote:In terms of Championship aspirations, Landry Shamet needs to ... (get healthy, and)... fulfill his promise/potential as the threat from 3 that opponents fear.

Or... is will his contribution be more of a "luxury"? Do we not "need" him to be that threat, necessarily?

[vid/tweet]Pat Beverley - "I was so wide open, I didn't know what to do" [vid/tweet]

Opps are going to gum up the pick'n'roll all year. PG-Kawhi-Harrell and also Zubac can run it too. Pat, Green and especially Shamet will benefit, and whoever's the deadliest is going to be out there when we need points. I'm not sure that's going to be Pat every night. Shamet may be the guy.

Whoever plays with PG and Kawhi and Trezz is gonna be the openest guy in the history of the universe.

Two things...
Beverley is invaluable, particularly for the off-the-court stuff he provides the team. That quote, that mentality... that's leadership.

The other thing, while JaMyke and Beverley are deep threats as catch and shoot guys... Landry Shamet is more than a catch and shoot threat. He has Steph Curry qualities, if you will. He can create the threat with his mobility, rather than just offer a threat (if that makes sense).

I think that if Shamet fulfills his promise/potential (Steph Curry-lite), the Clippers beat anyone in a 7 game series.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#7 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:03 am

but he's got to hit 'em

Kawhi knows :wink:

Read on Twitter
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#8 » by 50CalClips » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:41 pm

Okay... Shamet is definitely not a luxury.
We're going to need him to reach the mountain top.

George or no George, this is what I want to see from Landry "X-factor" Shamet... they're actually looking for him more...

Shamet, last 6 games:
33.8 Mins
1.35 PPS (Pts per shot)
.470 FG% (42.9 3Pt%)
11.0 FGA (8.2 3PtA)
14.8 pts, 3.5 reb, 2.2 ast, 0.3 stl, 0.2 blk, 1.0 TOV, 2.8 PF
10.0 GameScore*
+9.0 Plus/Minus*
5-1 record

Previous 23 games: 6.7 FGA
First 10 games: 7.7 FGA (when George was out, and before Shamet injury)

(*as per B-Ball Reference)
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#9 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:06 pm

50CalClips wrote:Okay... Shamet is definitely not a luxury.
We're going to need him to reach the mountain top.

George or no George, this is what I want to see from Landry "X-factor" Shamet... they're actually looking for him more...

Shamet, last 6 games:
33.8 Mins
1.35 PPS (Pts per shot)
.470 FG% (42.9 3Pt%)
11.0 FGA (8.2 3PtA)
14.8 pts, 3.5 reb, 2.2 ast, 0.3 stl, 0.2 blk, 1.0 TOV, 2.8 PF
10.0 GameScore*
+9.0 Plus/Minus*
5-1 record

We need his 3-ball, and for him to be a credible defender. His 3PT is up to 38.9% for the year, I think he'll at least come around to being the guy he was for us last season (if not taking a big step forward), which will be good enough for this season.

I think his stroke is good enough that barring injury he'll always be a pretty dead eye shooter. Even when he struggled earlier his 3PT% was never that bad. I will never have any qualms with him getting a kick out pass to take the last second shot to win or lose the game.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#10 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:34 pm

i don't think he'll be the defender he is hoping to be, at least not this year.

he's pushed around too easily and even as athletic as he is, he's just not getting to the right spots.

i'm glad his shot has returned. he kept shooting them, make or miss (usually miss lol) and now he's doing fine. good for him and good for the team.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#11 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:50 pm

nickhx2 wrote:i don't think he'll be the defender he is hoping to be, at least not this year.

he's pushed around too easily and even as athletic as he is, he's just not getting to the right spots.

i'm glad his shot has returned. he kept shooting them, make or miss (usually miss lol) and now he's doing fine. good for him and good for the team.

As long as Sham keeps moving his feet and staying in front of his man, that'll be adequate. He has no lateral or vertical quickness or wingspan to speak of, so he'll have to get by on effort.
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#12 » by Young Sterling » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:15 am

I wish we put Mfiondu's brain into Landry's body. Fi jacks up 3s with zero hesitation.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#13 » by esqtvd » Sat Feb 1, 2020 1:46 am

Read on Twitter
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#14 » by 50CalClips » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:25 am

Shamet, last 11 games (Jan 14):
33.1 Mins
1.38 PPS (Pts per shot)
.465 FG% (43.7 3Pt%)
10.4 FGA (7.9 3PtA)
14.4 pts, 2.6 reb, 2.6 ast, 0.4 stl, 0.1 blk, 0.7 TOV, 2.8 PF
10.2 GameScore*
+7.5 Plus/Minus*
9-2 record

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#15 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:34 am

That Heat game showed once again that Shamet is more than just a "luxury," he's a closer. Glad we were able to keep him.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers