ImageImageImageImageImage

Iguodala Need

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

BongBoyKlay
Sophomore
And1: 47

Iguodala Need 

Post#1 » by BongBoyKlay » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:00 am

As a Warriors fan, I loved having Iguodala on the Warriors due to his defense, playmaking, and leadership, and he was an essential part of our championship team. Since he got traded to the Grizzlies, there has been a steady stream of rumors that Iggy will most likely go to one of the LA teams either via trade or after he is bought out.

My question is, how do Clippers fans feel about Iggy going to the Clippers? After watching the Clippers play with George and Leonard, I feel that there really isn't any use for Iggy on the team other than as insurance if one of those players gets hurt. Also, those two are so good on the wing that the need for Iggy as a lockdown wing defender won't be needed at the end of games like he was on the Warriors.

Another thing is that the Clippers' bench is so stacked that it may be hard for Iggy to even earn any minutes in the playoffs, which is where he usually provides the most value since he doesn't try as hard in the regular season. When the bench shortens to about 7-8 guys in the players, Lou, Harrell, and Shamet seem to have those spots locked down already.

If the Grizzlies decide that they don't want to work out a buyout with Iggy and the Clippers think he will add value to the team, how much would you be willing to give up to acquire him in a trade?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Re: Iguodala Needless 

Post#2 » by esqtvd » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:37 am

I'm not feeling Iggy. He's 35--turns 36 in January--hasn't played this year, and was up and down in the playoffs last year--so-so against us, great against Houston, then was so-so in the last 2 series vs Portland and the Raptors.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/iguodan01/gamelog/2019

It was rumored we had an offer on the table for him [probably Harkless and Jerome Robinson] but I would rather play the hand with Harkless for now, and Harkless would pretty much have to be part of any trade. [He's the only big salary we have and we have to match Iggy's $17M.]

If Iggy gets bought out, I think he'd get more minutes with the Lakers and I think the interest would be mutual. It's a big shiny junkpile over there and he's a perfect fit.

I mean sure, if we get him for nothing, he'd probably help somewhere; I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. But I'm not seeing it or feeling it.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Re: Iguodala Need 

Post#3 » by QRich3 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:19 pm

I'm not a fan. At his age, I'm not at all sure he'd be better for our defense than Moe, and he's not a better shooter either, so I'd rather have the 26 year old that might be a piece of my team for half a decade more.

It seems like we're gonna use Harkless as defensive relief and as a roamer while between PG, Kawhi and Bev guard the better players of the opposing teams, and I'd guess Iguodala's biggest strength is 1-on-1 defense, so he might indeed be a surplus we don't need.

Plus, to match salaries, we'd have to pay more stuff than Moe, so it's a pretty clear no from me.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#4 » by playaloc916 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:04 pm

I actually don't think Iggy would prefer the Clips over the Lakers or going back to GS. He would be a good pickup, but I don't think he's the "missing piece", or significantly better than what the Clips would have to give up. I think another serviceable big, or a backup pg would be more useful with the current roster.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#5 » by 50CalClips » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:25 pm

The more DAWGS on our team, the better.

Iguodala is one of those rare clutch defenders... *edit* though age is a factor, but still.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,289

Post#6 » by nickhx2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:40 pm

if he were to be bought out and he could sign here that'd be fantastic.

but otherwise giving up meaningful assets for him is way too risky at his age, when he hasn't played a single game this season.
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#7 » by Young Sterling » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:58 pm

We need someone like Kyle Lowry way more.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#8 » by nickhx2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:08 pm

Young Sterling wrote:We need someone like Kyle Lowry way more.

i was gonna say

what this team really wants is kyle lowry lol

(or chris paul, or gallo, but those guys won't be bought out)
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#9 » by SAKURABA216 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:19 pm

I'm rooting for you guys to get Iggy just as Lebron insurance. I think Harkless and Robinson would get it done, but I don't know how much you guys value Robinson. It seems like you guys are set at the 2 guard spot with Louis Williams and Shamet. I guess the problem would be if you had Iggy then PG13 would be slotted in at the 2-guard, at times, which could eat into Williams' and Shamet's minutes.

In any event, imagine a lineup of:
Beverly
PG13
Iggy
Klaw
Zubac/Harrell

This team might get killed inside, but they would have the best perimeter defense of any squad the league has ever seen. Iggy seems like a small price to pay for Harkless and the rookie, but you guys would know better than me.
Young Sterling
Sophomore

Post#10 » by Young Sterling » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:49 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:I'm rooting for you guys to get Iggy just as Lebron insurance. I think Harkless and Robinson would get it done, but I don't know how much you guys value Robinson. It seems like you guys are set at the 2 guard spot with Louis Williams and Shamet. I guess the problem would be if you had Iggy then PG13 would be slotted in at the 2-guard, at times, which could eat into Williams' and Shamet's minutes.

In any event, imagine a lineup of:
Beverly
PG13
Iggy
Klaw
Zubac/Harrell

This team might get killed inside, but they would have the best perimeter defense of any squad the league has ever seen. Iggy seems like a small price to pay for Harkless and the rookie, but you guys would know better than me.

I think we're good with Harkless, he's been doing whatever we would've expected from Iggy but with more energy and youth. Iggy is a brandname, but he's also old and we don't need him in this system as much as the warriors did. Also with regards to Jrob, some ppl wonder why the Logo chose him but the fact is he's an extremely intelligent player. You could have all the tools and have a high ceiling, but if your IQ is eh... you're just JR or Lonzo. Robinson is a legit playmaking guard who fills his role as he needs too. He can score buckets when he flips the switch, but I think he's found that the team needs playmaking more to utilize all that talent and has been emphasizing that in his game. I like JRob, good role players are hard to find and they win you titles.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,218

Post#11 » by Clemenza » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:18 pm

Unless a major injury we don't need Iggy. Rather keep rollin' with Moe and even Pat Patterson to an extent. I'm hearing Dallas might be in play for him. He'd get more touches and minutes on that team.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#12 » by nickhx2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:19 pm

agree on harkless. he looks good pretty much all the time, and i don't really feel like he's making that many mistakes. and it seems like if the starting unit stays together, with him included, they can grow into something special together, defensively.

can't say i see too much good about robinson right now but i'm encouraged that he seems to be piecing some things together.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#13 » by Yogatti » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:30 pm

I rather have a back up center who can rim protect. Dwight Howard was the perfect choice for this
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#14 » by NippySudz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:53 am

In terms of the playoffs, I'd trust Iggy more than Moe hark. Moe harmless has been playing phenomenal lately but in the playoffs, his shot is super inconsistent and he hasn't been proven to lock down stars in the playoffs at any given time. He's solid but Iggy is big game in the playoffs plus he can make plays

I wouldn't force a trade for him. It's unlikely anyway due to cap but if they can get him off waivers, why not.
Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#15 » by NippySudz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:55 am

Yogatti wrote:I rather have a back up center who can rim protect. Dwight Howard was the perfect choice for this
You keep talking about the past. Dwight Howard is on the Lakers. Bringing up the clippers should have gotten Dwight Howard is not going to change that lol

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#16 » by TheNewEra » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:08 am

The price tag on Lowry wouldn’t be worth it
Young Sterling
Sophomore

Post#17 » by Young Sterling » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:54 am

TheNewEra wrote:

The price tag on Lowry wouldn’t be worth it

Agreed. That's also the problem with upgrading our team via trade for a star piece or something. All our pieces fit so well together that without a few of them the makeup of the team would be very different, and probably not in a good way. We have the pieces to make a blockbuster trade... but whether or not we should make one is the issue.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,739

Post#18 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:29 pm

He would be nice to have as a load management solution IMO, and to fill some critical playoff minutes.

I think we are going to make at least 1 semi-significant move by or during ASB, we'll see what it is.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#19 » by SK21209 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 5:22 pm

I'd love if he could replace McGruder in the bench lineups. Lou/Shamet/Iggy/Green/Harrell is pretty sick and sliding Iggy in there for McGruder provides another playmaker. Definitely not worth giving up Harkless though.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#20 » by clipperlover » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Rumors are that Houston is showing strong interest in Robert Covington. Covington was 1st Team All-NBA with the 76ers and has two more years at around $11M/yr. If he is available, the Clips should absolutely make a move for him. Certainly don't want to see Houston add a quality defender. Covington would be much better long term than Iggy.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers