I'm glad somebody set up the kiddie table again

keep the food fights here
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Re: Official Fire Doc Rivers thread 

Post#62 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jan 5, 2020 2:19 am

The "kiddie table" is where this franchise always sits come playoff time. Still zero WCF appearances with Doc, and not for lack of talent.

If we lose tomorrow, we'll be only a half game up on the sixth seed. And judging from Trez's comments today, the locker room is already having drama. But by all means, keep pretending all is well and this team isn't underachieving in typical Doc fashion.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#63 » by Clemenza » Sun Jan 5, 2020 4:58 am

Might have to dust off Tyron Lue if these type team showings keep occurring. No continuity whatsoever. A new lineup and rotation every game
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#64 » by NippySudz » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:01 am

Clemenza wrote:Might have to dust off Tyron Lue if these type team showings keep occurring. No continuity whatsoever. A new lineup and rotation every game
Yeah , cause Tyron lue is definitely going to lead this team in a direction that doc won't.

If you're speaking on the continuity, you might want to look at the health of the team.

If you're talking questionable rotations, that's room for concern. Doc isn't perfect. I do question why mcgruder gets any playing time whatsoever. I understand pat is out but still. He cannot guard any guard that is worth guarding.
Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#65 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:13 am

NippySudz wrote:I do question why mcgruder gets any playing time whatsoever.

That's just typical Doc. He has a knack for finding the worst player on the team and giving them way too many minutes and way too big a role. It's just one of many things that are never going to change as long as Doc's here.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by NippySudz » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:37 am

I'll take doc over Vogel, d'antoni, anytime. And I'll take him over coach budenholzer who hasn't shown he can make adjustments in the PO season.

I do question some of the regular season rotations. Just some. My guess he doesn't want to burn guys out or they're being showcased. There's some method to his madness, I'm assuming. Because mcgruder shouldn't and wouldn't get a kick of playoff time other than maybe the first round and garbage time.

Against elite teams we've looked the best ever ever looked. (Barring the bucks)

Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#67 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:15 pm

NippySudz wrote:I'll take doc over Vogel, d'antoni, anytime. And I'll take him over coach budenholzer who hasn't shown he can make adjustments in the PO season.

I do question some of the regular season rotations. Just some. My guess he doesn't want to burn guys out or they're being showcased. There's some method to his madness, I'm assuming. Because mcgruder shouldn't and wouldn't get a kick of playoff time other than maybe the first round and garbage time.

Just because we play elite game against top competition doesn't mean It's ok to play very ugly game in the games against lesser competitions. Yerterday's game was disgusting and hard to watch. I remember Bulls and Utah games as well happened recently. The losing is ok but playing ugly and loosing ugly is not ok. Anytime we make an excuse like "remember Lakers game" its not gonna solve the problem. When we lose with only half of the performance we show from the top competiton and It's an ugly loss like this, therefore this keep repeating... well this is not on players, It's on coaching.

This team have a problem with continuity, consistency on both ends that needs to be addressed. We should took take care of it seriously or things will go to south quickly.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by NippySudz » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:16 pm

DieHardFan wrote:
NippySudz wrote:I'll take doc over Vogel, d'antoni, anytime. And I'll take him over coach budenholzer who hasn't shown he can make adjustments in the PO season.

Just because we play elite game against top competition doesn't mean It's ok to play very ugly game in the games against lesser competitions. Yerterday's game was disgusting and hard to watch. I remember Bulls and Utah games as well happened recently. The losing is ok but playing ugly and loosing ugly is not ok. Anytime we make an excuse like "remember Lakers game" its not gonna solve the problem. When we lose with only half of the performance we show from the top competiton and It's an ugly loss like this, therefore this keep repeating... well this is not on players, It's on coaching.

This team have a problem with continuity, consistency on both ends that needs to be addressed. We should took take care of it seriously or things will go to south quickly.
I agree. I'm not making excuses for yesterday's effort.

I just don't think it warrants a change in coaching personnel.

MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#69 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:35 pm

NippySudz wrote:Against elite teams we've looked the best ever ever looked. (Barring the bucks)

I don't know. The Rockets and Jazz have been very bad matchups for this team. Like you mentioned, we looked like crap against the Bucks. The Christmas win against the Lakers wasn't super convincing, neither was the Celtics win.

The only times this team has actually lived up to the hype against an elite opponent all year are the opening night win against the Lakers and the win against the Mavs.

And honestly, it feels like we're getting worse as the season goes on, not better. Just about every team Doc's had here has been that way. They look amazing at the beginning of the season when other teams aren't taking the games super seriously yet, but they never maintain that momentum.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by NippySudz » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:42 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:Against elite teams we've looked the best ever ever looked. (Barring the bucks)

I don't know. The Rockets and Jazz have been very bad matchups for this team. Like you mentioned, we looked like crap against the Bucks. The Christmas win against the Lakers wasn't super convincing, neither was the Celtics win.

The only times this team has actually lived up to the hype against an elite opponent all year are the opening night win against the Lakers and the win against the Mavs.

And honestly, it feels like we're getting worse as the season goes on, not better. Just about every team Doc's had here has been that way. They look amazing at the beginning of the season when other teams aren't taking the games super seriously yet, but they never maintain that momentum.

We looked impressive against the rockets and gave away that lead.

We won against the raptors,Lakers, rockets and Celtics. five point loss to the bucks at home without kawhi. We had some quality wins.

If you want doc gone, fine that's your opinion but you better find a better replacement on the market for him. Finding a diamond in the rough like a Nick nurse or pat Riley taking over in the middle of a season is going to be almost next to impossible.

MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#71 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:46 pm

NippySudz wrote:If you want doc gone, fine that's your opinion but you better find a better replacement on the market for him. Finding a diamond in the rough like a Nick nurse or pat Riley taking over in the middle of a season is going to be almost next to impossible.

Dave Joerger is available right now.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#72 » by NippySudz » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:48 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:If you want doc gone, fine that's your opinion but you better find a better replacement on the market for him. Finding a diamond in the rough like a Nick nurse or pat Riley taking over in the middle of a season is going to be almost next to impossible.

You're trolling me.

He's underachieved in Memphis and sacremento.

MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#73 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:51 pm

NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

You're trolling me.

How did he underachieve in Sacramento? He led that franchise to their best record since the Adelman era with hardly any talent on the roster. Then they fired him for no reason (similar to how they fired Mike Malone for no reason) and now they're one of the worst teams in the league again without him.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#74 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:51 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

I always respected your critisms on Doc Rivers because I know he does so much sloppy coaching jobs. But when your replacement idea is like this, I'm thinking that I gave your opinions more credit than they deserve. :noway:
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by NippySudz » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:55 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Dave Joerger is available right now.
You're trolling me.

How did he underachieve in Sacramento? He led that franchise to their best record since the Adelman era with hardly any talent on the roster. Then they fired him for no reason (similar to how they fired Mike Malone for no reason) and now they're one of the worst teams in the league again without him.
Yes let's ignore Memphis his most crowning achievement.

Sacremento had enough talent to be a playoff team.

You're expecting a coach who couldn't make a playoffs with a talented roster to suddenly take over and a be a championship level head coach? Are you kidding me?

Let's not forget he had Memphis grindhouse that went no where fast. He was hired to replace Lionel hollins who is a terrible coach himself and went no where.

Jesus, at least suggest something respectable. the guy is a middle of a pack coach

Might have as well said Dwane Casey if you were going that route

Mike Malone at least got the second seed since leaving sacremento and was knocking on the door of the western conference finals.

NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#76 » by NippySudz » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:57 pm

Jorger wouldn't even come close of getting this roster to 25-12 with all the injuries and other stuff you said shouldn't be an excuses jorger would be close to .500 or even below.

NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by NippySudz » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:06 pm

DieHardFan wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

I always respected your critisms on Doc Rivers because I know he does so much sloppy coaching jobs. But when your replacement idea is like this, I'm thinking that I gave your opinions more credit than they deserve. :noway:
It's easy to regurgitate the same thing over and over in threads. It's harder to come up with solutions.

If they decide a coaching change, it has to be something fresh, new and coaches that players buy into.

When you look at last years roster and the way the team started last yr, you'd ask yourself how the hell did they not only make it into the playoffs but won two games off the warriors? How the hell did that roster win 48 games? They were projected to win around 35,36 games.

Can jorger do that? **** no. Jorger cannot do that. Jorgers playoff success or lack thereof is worse than docs.

Doc developed trez. Who the hell has jorger develop? What diamond in the rough players has he found? Trez would have been cut under a different coach.

I have no issues with people feeling strong about doc. But there better be a better solution. It's not only about x's and O's but managing personalities as well.

MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#78 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:13 pm

NippySudz wrote:Yes let's ignore Memphis his most crowning achievement.

What are we supposed to ignore here? He was given a roster with no superstars and a style of play that was becoming increasingly outdated for the modern NBA. He still led them to their second-best record in franchise history. His last year there, Conley and Gasol both had season-ending injuries, ZBo and Tony Allen also missed a bunch of time with injuries, and they still made the playoffs. Was he supposed to win a ring with that team? Doc certainly wouldn't have.

Clearly they didn't, since they're one of the worst teams in the league without him.

Mike Malone at least got the second seed since leaving sacremento and was knocking on the door of the western conference finals.

And yet if someone suggested hiring Malone after the Kings fired him, you probably would have made the same arguments against him too. The biggest problem with the Kings has been ownership and the front office, not coaching.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by NippySudz » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:17 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:Yes let's ignore Memphis his most crowning achievement.

What are we supposed to ignore here? He was given a roster with no superstars and a style of play that was becoming increasingly outdated for the modern NBA. He still led them to their second-best record in franchise history. His last year there, Conley and Gasol both had season-ending injuries, ZBo and Tony Allen also missed a bunch of time with injuries, and they still made the playoffs. Was he supposed to win a ring with that team? Doc certainly wouldn't have.

Clearly they didn't, since they're one of the worst teams in the league without him.

And yet if someone suggested hiring Malone after the Kings fired him, you probably would have made the same arguments against him too. The biggest problem with the Kings has been ownership and the front office, not coaching.

I wouldn't have made the same thing. Unlike Malone, jorger has a history.

Jorger is better than Luke Walton, no denying that! But that team has playoff talent

Again, you're going championship or bust this season. At least that's how it sounds like. Mike Malone under that scenario failed. He had the second best seed and couldn't get into the western conference finals to a team that was swept by the Durant-less warriors and is struggling to make the playoffs now. Jorger fails. His memphis tenure never amounted to anything.

It took jorger three yrs to reach pique with his roster. Three . Took mike Malone 5. Five years.

You better come up with someone better. Solution. It's easy to say a coach is bad. It's harder to find a replacement.

MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#80 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:26 pm

If the Kings truly had playoff talent, a coaching change (no matter how ill-advised) shouldn't be enough to take them from borderline playoff team to one of the worst teams in the league.

It's pretty clear now that Joerger was maximizing the limited talent they had by playing an uptempo style of basketball. Walton is making them play slower and they look awful now.

Malone has never been in a "championship or bust" situation. The Nuggets are a young team and they were ahead of schedule last season.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers