ImageImageImageImageImage

BREAKING: REGGIE JACKSON TO SIGN WITH CLIPS AFTER BUYOUT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Re: BREAKING: REGGIE JACKSON TO SIGN WITH CLIPS AFTER BUYOUT 

Post#21 » by playaloc916 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:10 pm

NippySudz wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if we end up signing Noah as a hail Mary or TT ends up being waived and signs with the clippers.

I wouldn't want Noah simply because of his injury. He's bound to get injured. Haven't even been six months since his surgery but I guess if they can't add anything else, he's better than nothing. Might as well let him rehab until the Po season

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

I'm starting to feel that way too. Clips really need a reliable defensive post presence. Zubac is still a bit inexperienced at this point, and Trez is there for his offense. They need to balance this out with a smart defender who can grab some boards and contest some shots. I haven't seen any other names floating around except for the injured Noah. Maybe they take a chance on him and it could turn out like the Dwight signing for the Lakers... a signing that people laughed at, at first, but ended up being one of the best FA signings of the season.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,176

Post#22 » by og15 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:13 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:McGruder wasn't bad lol, sometimes just having a role player who can handle the ball, defend, and get some shots here helps more than having a household name who discombobulates the offense. That being said, definitely a plus addition.

Let's hope we never have to watch Lou start at point guard again lol

McGruder has been awful. Contributes very little on offense, and Doc seems to think he's some shutdown defender, which he isn't.

Don't lie, you'll miss seeing the man, the myth, the legend of Rodney McGruder. :lol:

Seriously though he's a below par player, but he was just playing out of necessity because people just kept getting injured, so hopefully the necessity has been removed.

The last two games he already played sparingly which is a good sign.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#23 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:54 pm

esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:McGruder wasn't bad lol, sometimes just having a role player who can handle the ball, defend, and get some shots here helps more than having a household name who discombobulates the offense. That being said, definitely a plus addition.

Let's hope we never have to watch Lou start at point guard again lol

wasn't bad. He was trash.

Still got 707 minutes. Shows how desperate we've been to keep bodies on the floor. The alternatives were Robinson and the G leaguers. He was better than Sindarius and Ty, although not by much. Last year in Miami he shot 40%/and 35% but this year his shot never came around [38%/27%].

He was worth the low risk/low return gamble and did serve as a placeholder until buyout season. We anticipated losing minutes at guard with PG and Kawhi but Pat Bev and Sham's injuries really put the pressure on. McGruder ended up with 16 mpg, when his place on the roster suggested he should be racking up DNPs [like Patterson].

I think the heavy emphasis on the 3-ball these days means that to really be a positive contributor, guys like McGruder have to do their thing (defense, hustle, energy) and also hit their 3's. Green did that last year and stood out despite his limitations, but none of Green, Harkless, McGruder have really done that this season.

I think McGruder is a fine player to have at the end of your bench, but not a 16 MPG guy on a team with championship aspirations.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#24 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:59 pm

Darko Miliminutes wrote:He and P George are tight. A few of us had hoped that would parlay into having a chance to sign George, dreams n all.

Someone mentioned his length already and it is significant. Allows for some real clever finishing around the trees and for some clever handles in traffic. You will wanna smack him around a bit too often for over dribbling and his blackhole factor is between moderate and minimal but it does exist. He also led the league in clutch scoring for about 95% of the '16 season (Curry) which was our only playoff experience of the last decade. Injuries riddled him and when they didn't he was a very good ball player. You've done well.

Edit:
Am now picturing a call between George and RJ with PG tampering a bit but it'd be funny prolly. " Man, i'll throw in a million too, take the flippin buyout" type stuff.

As it just so happens, they had a poker game over ASB and Paul George lost a huge pot to Reggie Jackson, go figure. 8-)

Thanks for your feedback on RJ, I guess I see this as good upside with little downside.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,830

Post#25 » by SK21209 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:13 pm

playaloc916 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if we end up signing Noah as a hail Mary or TT ends up being waived and signs with the clippers.

I wouldn't want Noah simply because of his injury. He's bound to get injured. Haven't even been six months since his surgery but I guess if they can't add anything else, he's better than nothing. Might as well let him rehab until the Po season

I'm starting to feel that way too. Clips really need a reliable defensive post presence. Zubac is still a bit inexperienced at this point, and Trez is there for his offense. They need to balance this out with a smart defender who can grab some boards and contest some shots. I haven't seen any other names floating around except for the injured Noah. Maybe they take a chance on him and it could turn out like the Dwight signing for the Lakers... a signing that people laughed at, at first, but ended up being one of the best FA signings of the season.

If TT does get bought out I bet LeBron and Paul pull some strings to keep him away from us.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#26 » by esqtvd » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:34 pm

A little more on RJ from The Athletic:

Jackson theoretically would slide into the bench unit and take Rodney McGruder’s role as the 10th man, logging somewhere between 10 to 15 minutes a night depending on who’s available and the matchup. Jackson is close friends with George and shares an agent with him, CAA’s Aaron Mintz, so he should be welcomed with open arms in the locker room.

Jackson is averaging 14.9 points, 2.9 rebounds, 5.1 assists, 0.6 steals and 27.2 minutes in 14 games this season. He rates as a positive in most advanced metrics, including RPM and PIPM. A back injury at the beginning of the season cost him 40-plus games and has subsequently affected his shooting efficiency, which is the lowest across the board since his rookie season in 2011-12.

He is shooting 39.5 percent on catch-and-shoot 3s and 36.8 percent on pull-up triples. If the catch-and-shoot figure stands, he could have value off of the ball next to the Clippers’ primary scorers.

Jackson is probably more of a shoot-first point guard than the Clippers needed this deep into the season, but his career 29.0 assist percentage and 6.3 assists per 36 minutes are more than respectable numbers.

Defensively, Jackson rates out around league average, though his 6-foot-3 frame and 7-foot wingspan allow him to play bigger than the average point guard. He often played the 2 alongside Russell Westbrook in Oklahoma City and could, in theory, move up to shooting guard next to Beverley, Williams or Shamet in lineups.

Jackson is shooting just 39 percent on 2-pointers and posting a 49.2 true shooting percentage — figures well below league average. He isn’t a seamless fit alongside Williams and Shamet on the second unit. A quick peruse through Jackson’s offensive possessions this season shows he predominately operates in pick-and-rolls and rarely off of the ball.

There is little downside to the Jackson signing as long as the Clippers manage his initial expectations.

Jackson should be behind Williams, Beverley and Shamet in the backcourt pecking order, assuming he doesn’t outplay them. The McGruder spot has been a clear weakness for a while and needed to be improved. With Jackson, the Clippers would have 10 starting-level rotation players and successfully kept another player way from the Lakers.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#27 » by Vae Victus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:14 pm

Great buyout signing. If RJax gets stupid in the lockerroom and demands shots or other nonsense, he'll get his ass sent packing.

PatBev's constant injuries has really screwed this team's chemistry and flow. If RJax can provide 20 competent mins a game at PG, with zero ball hogging, max effort on D, it'll make a significant impact. Also gives the team the ability to let PatBev take all the time needed to recover and be 100% for the playoffs, instead of being forced to toss him out there before he's fully healed.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#28 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:18 pm

A couple of things about Jackson. His bad shooting this year. Three words: Small Sample Size. He’s coming off an injury. How did Bev shoot last November? What you want to look at is whether he can recover his shooting stroke. And, based on what he’s done so far, it’s an emphatic yes. Fact is, Jackson has had 3 terrible games and 9 good to great games since he’s been reactivated. In the good games, he’s averaging 20.9 and 6.4 assists with a .434/.438/.760 line—in less than 30 mpg. I see a lot more reasons why he will get his overall shooting percentages back—and quick—than otherwise.

Jackson is *not* a great defender. But he tries and, as keeps getting noted, he’s got some wingspan. So we keep seeing him as a replacement for McGruder, to step in when Bev is out—yes and no. Really, he’s a combo guy who will—at times—take some load off Lou and play alongside Bev. I think some of the issues with Lou this year are age and fatigue related. The difference between playing 26 mpg and 31 mpg game—which is what Lou has done in the last 20 games, without missing a game—may not seem like much. But a guy in his 15th year who’s on pace to have his second highest season minute total ever might disagree. A little less of Lou will give us a better Lou, IMO.

So if you add Rome’s minutes this season to Walton’s minutes, and add in half of McGruder’s minutes and 175 minutes or so from Lou (drop him 3 mpg—like I said, I think it’ll help) … you get a lot of minutes. Close to 1200. That’s well over 20 mpg when we’ve been getting $h*t production. If Jackson gets back to near his past level, he’s a massive upgrade. Dude is going to help us.
Clippers2020
Junior
And1: 177

Post#29 » by Clippers2020 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:48 am

Reggie Jackson keeps his turnovers low (1.6 turnovers per game and 5.1 assists per game) and can hit threes (.378 on 5.9 attempts per game).
If he tries to hog the ball, he'll be benched quicker than you can say Regg....
So I see no harm.
On a bad team he can get away with bad things, but no chance of that here.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#30 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:04 pm

Clippers2020 wrote:Reggie Jackson keeps his turnovers low (1.6 turnovers per game and 5.1 assists per game) and can hit threes (.378 on 5.9 attempts per game).
If he tries to hog the ball, he'll be benched quicker than you can say Regg....
So I see no harm.
On a bad team he can get away with bad things, but no chance of that here.

I think for him to have signed on, the team and him would have come to an understanding about his role on the team- significant, but definitely within limits.

At the same time, the better he plays the more minutes he will get.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#31 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:06 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:A couple of things about Jackson. His bad shooting this year. Three words: Small Sample Size. He’s coming off an injury. How did Bev shoot last November? What you want to look at is whether he can recover his shooting stroke. And, based on what he’s done so far, it’s an emphatic yes. Fact is, Jackson has had 3 terrible games and 9 good to great games since he’s been reactivated. In the good games, he’s averaging 20.9 and 6.4 assists with a .434/.438/.760 line—in less than 30 mpg. I see a lot more reasons why he will get his overall shooting percentages back—and quick—than otherwise.

Jackson is *not* a great defender. But he tries and, as keeps getting noted, he’s got some wingspan. So we keep seeing him as a replacement for McGruder, to step in when Bev is out—yes and no. Really, he’s a combo guy who will—at times—take some load off Lou and play alongside Bev. I think some of the issues with Lou this year are age and fatigue related. The difference between playing 26 mpg and 31 mpg game—which is what Lou has done in the last 20 games, without missing a game—may not seem like much. But a guy in his 15th year who’s on pace to have his second highest season minute total ever might disagree. A little less of Lou will give us a better Lou, IMO.

So if you add Rome’s minutes this season to Walton’s minutes, and add in half of McGruder’s minutes and 175 minutes or so from Lou (drop him 3 mpg—like I said, I think it’ll help) … you get a lot of minutes. Close to 1200. That’s well over 20 mpg when we’ve been getting $h*t production. If Jackson gets back to near his past level, he’s a massive upgrade. Dude is going to help us.

Yeah, but that 38% 3P% will definitely continue right? Right??? :lol:

I totally agree on Lou. He is a guy who you can always count on to create a makable shot opportunity, but at his age you can't expect him to do it for 31 mpg with any reasonable efficiency.

Also, people talk about Morris and Jackson like they aren't significant additions to the team. I think they definitely can be, especially if we can start moving the ball around a bit more.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,176

Post#32 » by og15 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:03 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:A couple of things about Jackson. His bad shooting this year. Three words: Small Sample Size. He’s coming off an injury. How did Bev shoot last November? What you want to look at is whether he can recover his shooting stroke. And, based on what he’s done so far, it’s an emphatic yes. Fact is, Jackson has had 3 terrible games and 9 good to great games since he’s been reactivated. In the good games, he’s averaging 20.9 and 6.4 assists with a .434/.438/.760 line—in less than 30 mpg. I see a lot more reasons why he will get his overall shooting percentages back—and quick—than otherwise.

Yeah, but that 38% 3P% will definitely continue right? Right??? :lol:

I totally agree on Lou. He is a guy who you can always count on to create a makable shot opportunity, but at his age you can't expect him to do it for 31 mpg with any reasonable efficiency.

Also, people talk about Morris and Jackson like they aren't significant additions to the team. I think they definitely can be, especially if we can start moving the ball around a bit more.
Yea, the hope with the 3PT% is that last season, he shot 36.9% 3PT on 5.7/game for 82 games. His last 272 games, so since 15-16, he's shooting 35.6% 3PT on 4.6 attempts, I can definitely take that, lol.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#33 » by NippySudz » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:08 am

I just hope he doesn't get shot happy..team.needs to start shifting the focus towards Leonard and PG when they're healthy and Lou and Harrell will need to take a step back. Someone's gonna need to sacrifice. It needs to be them

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#34 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:44 am

IT'S OFFICIAL :D

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2020-02-20/clippers-add-reggie-jackson-to-roster

As for Jackson being a hog, ask yourself why he chose the Clippers over the Lakers.

A lot of high-usage guys get a bad rap--Dominique and Jamal come to mind--because their teams depend on them to create offense where there isn't any. I think Reggie chose the Clippers over the Lakers [who need him more and have more minutes to give him] for precisely that reason. With the Clips, Reggie will be able to just take what the defenses give him.

With the Lakers, Jackson would have been in almost a no-win situation between having to defer to Bron and AD or being tasked with quarterbacking their crap bench and being trashed if he couldn't.

Reggie came here to have fun and play championship basketball. I'm sure he'll do whatever it takes.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#35 » by QRich3 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:35 am

He will be useful while Bev and George get healthy, but if he's getting more than 5-10 minutes in the playoffs, we're in trouble.

madmaxmedia wrote:Also, people talk about Morris and Jackson like they aren't significant additions to the team. I think they definitely can be, especially if we can start moving the ball around a bit more.

Problem is they're both the opposite of guys who'll help with the ball moving around. They'll be useful in certain situations, but lack of ball movement is a problem we're always gonna have as long as we have Kawhi as our main playmaker, we're just gonna have to live with it. Getting guys like those around him was just doubling down on that style of play.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#36 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:09 pm

NippySudz wrote:I just hope he doesn't get shot happy..team.needs to start shifting the focus towards Leonard and PG when they're healthy and Lou and Harrell will need to take a step back. Someone's gonna need to sacrifice. It needs to be them

I think we want all these guys to be good-shot happy. As long as they're not forcing things, I think the more good shots they take, the easier it will be for KL and PG. OTOH...

QRich3 wrote:He will be useful while Bev and George get healthy, but if he's getting more than 5-10 minutes in the playoffs, we're in trouble.

madmaxmedia wrote:Also, people talk about Morris and Jackson like they aren't significant additions to the team. I think they definitely can be, especially if we can start moving the ball around a bit more.

Problem is they're both the opposite of guys who'll help with the ball moving around. They'll be useful in certain situations, but lack of ball movement is a problem we're always gonna have as long as we have Kawhi as our main playmaker, we're just gonna have to live with it. Getting guys like those around him was just doubling down on that style of play.

I understand that's definitely a concern, I think these were the best guys available so we're just going to take our chances with them. I guess I always feel like a team of good individual scorers can potentially play great together as a team, if they play smart ball. But it can also quickly devolve as well.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#37 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:11 pm

esqtvd wrote:IT'S OFFICIAL :D

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2020-02-20/clippers-add-reggie-jackson-to-roster

As for Jackson being a hog, ask yourself why he chose the Clippers over the Lakers.

A lot of high-usage guys get a bad rap--Dominique and Jamal come to mind--because their teams depend on them to create offense where there isn't any. I think Reggie chose the Clippers over the Lakers [who need him more and have more minutes to give him] for precisely that reason. With the Clips, Reggie will be able to just take what the defenses give him.

With the Lakers, Jackson would have been in almost a no-win situation between having to defer to Bron and AD or being tasked with quarterbacking their crap bench and being trashed if he couldn't.

Reggie came here to have fun and play championship basketball. I'm sure he'll do whatever it takes.

I think Lou Williams is the quintessential example. If you don't watch him in games and just look at his stat line, he's a low efficiency chucker. But you have to watch him play and see what he does within the team on the floor to provide context to the stats.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#38 » by Kelphus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:20 pm

This is a potentially VERY good pickup. It all depends on if he gets his rhythm back after all that time out. I liked him in past years, his energy was good. This doesn't just help with the Pat Bev absence... if it helps reduce Lou Williams' minutes that is equally important. Low risk, very high potential reward. Larry... Larry... LARRY!!!
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 147

Post#39 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:10 pm

YEAHHH!! We just got Stronger!!!!
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#40 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Mar 2, 2020 9:40 pm

I think so far Reggie has been a good addition. He seems to be trying to play within his role and has more than enough skills to do so on this team.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers