TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: Woj Bomb: Clippers signing Noah 

Post#21 » by TheNewEra » Sun Mar 8, 2020 8:11 am

esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Well if you want to debate this out like adults, Mr. Era, that would be really cool and a welcome change. You know what I mean.

What I mean by "Planet Zubac" is those people who are so Doc-Deranged that they think Zubac is anywhere equal the player or force that Trezz is. Remember--until we got Marcus and now Noah, any additional minutes handed to Zubac would come from Trezz, and even now that Doc has stretched Zu's minutes out to around 20, that means Trezz is only playing 28.

I did look up Zu's first half stats and it only reinforces my point. His second-half stats suck--worst plus/minus on the Clippers--so the thoughtful inference is that his overall stats are due to great first halves.

And they are great first halves. Zu is in our top 5 in plus/minus. Great job for our placeholder starter. But our worst in the second half. Trezz is our 2nd best behind Kawhi in the 3rd.

Worry about Trezz's fatigue in the 4th quarter all you want. Our Achilles heel is much more Zubac in the 3rd quarter. He gets worse as the game goes on. Provably.

Why we should give him 4th quarter minutes is doubling down on mediocrity.

And that's why Doc doesn't give Zu 4th quarter minutes. Because he hasn't earned 2nd half minutes, let alone crunch time minutes. Totally backed by the stats.

Getting Trezz a blow in the 4th will have to come from Noah or the small ball unit. He's been a hero for us. One thing we agree on is that Trezz deserves a blow and not have to play 17 minutes in a row. But Zu is not the answer and Doc was right not to give him minutes he has not earned.

Frankly, my "eye test" has been wondering about Zu's gaudy overall stats vs what I saw, a lot of crap 3rd quarters, meaning his first halves have been great--also what my "eye test" was telling me. I only looked it up today, and yes, my "eye test" was borne out by the stats, which I've posted here.

Hey, I think Zubac is doing great for 22 years old, a starter for the next possible champion. His first year as a starter. Just had his best game as a Clipper and kicked D'Antoni and Morey's ass. Don't get me wrong about any of this.

Don’t even get how this was even a thing to be talked about in a Noah signing but ok.

If you don’t believe Zubac has contributed in his own way when rim protection numbers have come out and I’m sure you have seen them. Zubac’s importance to the team is he allows for guys like Harrell not to have to face bigger and more talented opposing bigs for a full game. You want to see Harrell get tossed around by larger player so be it but Zubac has been a major part of this title push and no one would say Harrell should be starting.

-No one has argued the overall minutes was a issue it was the 15-17 minutes stretches of minutes. If 22 minutes for Zu and 26 for Trez means that Trez can get a rest then so be it.

- So because Zubac 3rd quarter is his lowest but yet it’s better than Harrell’s for quarters one, two and four he shouldn’t play at all in the 4th?

-Your hatred for Zubac is next level because it doesn’t even add up when you try to use stats to discredit him. By YOUR own stat it shows the starting unit with Trez in the 4th quarter sees a major decline. It shows Harrell’s advantage only comes because he plays against bench units to start the 4th but comes down when both teams put the starters back in

-Doubling down on mediocrity ? Look how terrible the rest of the starters look like using your stat in the 4th quarter lol

- Based on your stats Harrell shouldn’t play at all in the first half

-And again how can you argue the stats when it shows Zubacs (+1.4) worse quarter in plus/minus IS STILL better than Harrell’s 4th quarter (+1.0)

There will never and I mean ever be a logical reason to play Harrell the consistent stretches of minutes that we do it’s poor coaching

I don't hate Zubac. Cut it out.

The only fact you present is that Trezz's +1.0 in the 4th is worse than Zubac's +1.4 in the 3rd. That's a valid argument, but not a definitive enough one to not allow for Doc's own "eye test" and lack of confidence in Zu at crunchtime. He is not being irrational and that's the criticism. The fact is that we've won almost every game using that strategy.

And I'm sure even Zubac's supporters are surprised to learn that his 2nd half stats show such a huge decline over his first half stats and that means his gaudy overall numbers are a bit suspect when it comes to earning 4th quarter minutes. It's also logical to conclude that he'd be even less effective in the 4th than he is in the 3rd, and that is clearly Doc's quite valid reasoning.

The argument using the stat is only one we can use we don’t have enough of a body of work to use anything else. His eye test should be the same numbers we see and anytime he uses “we needed Harrell’s scoring” it never adds up. His eye test should be able to notice that Harrell blows up from fatigue during these long stretches it’s not a opinion it’s a known fact. Whether the team can power through it which impacts both ends has been a concern all season.

Playing a player 15-17 minutes straight is pretty irrational in any stretch of the imagination. Even if you didn’t want to play Zu for whatever reason in which he did play last season then play Green.

Drop offs happen in games and the team tends to relax a bit when up big. Trying to use numbers like Zu is the only one dropping off is missing the point of the numbers YOU posted.

By your numbers :
1st quarter -Zubac +1.4/Harrell +1.1
2nd quarter- Zubac +1.7/Harrell-1.6
3rd quarter-Zubac +1.5/Harrell +3.1
4th quarter- zubac -2.0(4 games)/Harrell +1.0 (15 games)

There is no gaudy numbers it’s fairly consistent when in a consistent role like the first 3 quarters. You mention a drop off but what the hell is going from 3.1 to 1.0?

Would also like to see how the splits if possible of how the 4th quarter goes between vs bench units and vs starters. When the starters come back in for other teams is usually when the fatigue wall hits and overall games become a bit more of a struggle if not a blowout.

Looking at the other starters based on your stat shows their is more to the story than meets the eye

4th quarter
Kawhi Leonard (-1.2)
Paul George (0.4)
Marcus Morris (-3.0)
Patrick Beverly (0.1)

Think Harrell is obviously seeing a boost in his own numbers from playing against bench units to start the quarters. Also seeing bump from also playing in the 4th quarter even if it’s a blowout because PG and Kawhi don’t even have the entire 15 games played in the 4th quarter sample size.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#22 » by NippySudz » Sun Mar 8, 2020 9:04 am

https://streamable.com/emeso

This is why I wanted Noah, he has quick hands, smart positioning, just a savy veteran. Zu cannot do this. Zu will foul in most of these cases. Zu plays hands straight up defense for everything.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#23 » by Dynamix » Sun Mar 8, 2020 9:05 am

Keep fighting the good fight, Era!

Also, as a humble resident of Planet Zubac, I'd like to start a petition to change its name to Planet GiveTrezSomeRest.

I just don't want to see Trez close out every playoff game playing 16+ straight minutes. Not saying Zu is always the answer, there are plenty of nights when he should be benched early. We could try a few minutes of smallball with Green, or maybe Noah will be able to contribute by then. But the simplest option is to give Zu a chance every other game, especially when he does a decent job for the first three quarters. Even if he has a bad start to the 3rd quarter and Doc has to pull him after only 4-5 minutes, it shouldn't automatically mean he can't touch the floor again.

Seriously, we're talking about just a few minutes to start the 4th. Trez would still have plenty of room to make a difference. This is the time to experiment, not when our entire season is on the line.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#24 » by esqtvd » Sun Mar 8, 2020 9:13 am

TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

Don’t even get how this was even a thing to be talked about in a Noah signing but ok.

-Your hatred for Zubac is next level because it doesn’t even add up when you try to use stats to discredit him. By YOUR own stat it shows the starting unit with Trez in the 4th quarter sees a major decline. It shows Harrell’s advantage only comes because he plays against bench units to start the 4th but comes down when both teams put the starters back in

The only fact you present is that Trezz's +1.0 in the 4th is worse than Zubac's +1.4 in the 3rd. That's a valid argument, but not a definitive enough one to not allow for Doc's own "eye test" and lack of confidence in Zu at crunchtime. He is not being irrational and that's the criticism. The fact is that we've won almost every game using that strategy.

And I'm sure even Zubac's supporters are surprised to learn that his 2nd half stats show such a huge decline over his first half stats and that means his gaudy overall numbers are a bit suspect when it comes to earning 4th quarter minutes. It's also logical to conclude that he'd be even less effective in the 4th than he is in the 3rd, and that is clearly Doc's quite valid reasoning.

The argument using the stat is only one we can use we don’t have enough of a body of work to use anything else. His eye test should be the same numbers we see and anytime he uses “we needed Harrell’s scoring” it never adds up. His eye test should be able to notice that Harrell blows up from fatigue during these long stretches it’s not a opinion it’s a known fact.

You have not established as a fact that Zubac would be better in the 4th quarter at any point, because his graph from the first half goes south after halftime. This is why Doc yanks him.

That's the entire argument I'm making. Zu's great in the 1st and tires as the 3rd goes on. Doc leaves him in as long as he doesn't go to ****. When he's playing well, Zu plays 8 minutes in the 3rd. When he's crap, Doc pulls him after 4.

That's the equation. I don't blame you Planet Zubac guys for not noticing, but I do.

TheNewEra wrote: Drop offs happen in games and the team tends to relax a bit when up big. Trying to use numbers like Zu is the only one dropping off is missing the point of the numbers YOU posted.

By your numbers :

No support for your position in these numbers, in fact support for the contrary. Even ignoring that 4th quarter limited sample.

My point has never been that the Planet Zubac argument is wrong [more Zubac, therefore less Trezz], only that Doc's use of them both is backed by the stats and also in the win column.

Either Noah will get some 4th quarter minutes or we'll play the small ball lineup with J-Myke and/or Marcus. Absent an emergency, Zubac sits.

Zu is not going to get 4th quarter minutes this season, let alone in the playoffs. Not gonna happen and I've been telling you Planet Zubac guys for months now but you still keep coming at me.

Peace, bro.

This s**t is a dead issue. Doc haters gotta move on.

Maybe your opinion is right. But Zubac has not EARNED more 2nd half minutes, and Doc has the stats to back that up and Doc got the wins.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#25 » by NippySudz » Sun Mar 8, 2020 9:59 am

Dynamix wrote:Keep fighting the good fight, Era!

Also, as a humble resident of Planet Zubac, I'd like to start a petition to change its name to Planet GiveTrezSomeRest.

I just don't want to see Trez close out every playoff game playing 16+ straight minutes. Not saying Zu is always the answer, there are plenty of nights when he should be benched early. We could try a few minutes of smallball with Green, or maybe Noah will be able to contribute by then. But the simplest option is to give Zu a chance every other game, especially when he does a decent job for the first three quarters. Even if he has a bad start to the 3rd quarter and Doc has to pull him after only 4-5 minutes, it shouldn't automatically mean he can't touch the floor again.

Seriously, we're talking about just a few minutes to start the 4th. Trez would still have plenty of room to make a difference. This is the time to experiment, not when our entire season is on the line.
I don't care about Zu like that anymore now that we have Noah. We have two interior defenders and one that doc will probably trust in deeper rounds and late game situations

I don't expect him to be part of the rotation or expect him to be prime Noah but it's nice to have him as insurance if anything happens

I have no complaints anymore. The front office has fulfilled all the glaring holes imo

NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by NippySudz » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:05 am

If we end up blowing out Denver, rockets, and the Lakers all in two weeks then this discussion is dead. Trust the coaching staff and front office If it happens even if you don't agree. I don't agree myself as times but I'm just going to shut up and defer. I'll wait for the playoffs if they mollywhopp all the other top 3 contenders in the conference .

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#27 » by esqtvd » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:38 am

NippySudz wrote:

I don't care about Zu like that anymore now that we have Noah. We have two interior defenders and one that doc will probably trust in deeper rounds and late game situations

I don't expect him to be part of the rotation or expect him to be prime Noah but it's nice to have him as insurance if anything happens

I have no complaints anymore. The front office has fulfilled all the glaring holes imo

The controversy was never whether Trezz needed a rest, only that Zubac was the right choice to come back in, especially since his 3rd-quarter numbers are the worst on the team.

The more Zu plays, the less effective he is. Doc has stretched his minutes to the limit. 4th quarter minutes is a non-starter for our 22-year old.

I've been begging for a 3rd big to play a few minutes in the 4th and get Trezz a breather for months now. If not Noah, it'll be J-Myke and MM at the 4-5. But until we got Marcus, J-Myke at the 5 was total crap.

The front office has fulfilled all the glaring holes imo

Amen.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#28 » by esqtvd » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:57 am

Here's a key point I haven't argued before--

The equation is that those minutes at the top of the 4th quarter are when Kawhi's getting HIS rest too. Zubac without Kawhi is death, we could look up the stats. Not only that, but Zubac with Lou is statistically pretty much our worst 2-man combination.

Lou is also out there at the beginning of the 4th. Has to be. He and Trezz are our killer bench combination. Can't slip Zubac in there without disaster.

And that's the rest of the story--doesn't even have anything to do with Trezz, only about the shittty alternatives without him.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by NippySudz » Sun Mar 8, 2020 11:01 am

esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

The controversy was never whether Trezz needed a rest, only that Zubac was the right choice to come back in, especially since his 3rd-quarter numbers are the worst on the team.

The more Zu plays, the less effective he is. Doc has stretched his minutes to the limit. 4th quarter minutes is a non-starter for our 22-year old.

I've been begging for a 3rd big to play a few minutes in the 4th and get Trezz a breather for months now. If not Noah, it'll be J-Myke and MM at the 4-5. But until we got Marcus, J-Myke at the 5 was total crap.

The front office has fulfilled all the glaring holes imo

Amen.

I'm just glad we got a guy doc can trust in the fourth quarter now. Look at that streamable clip I posted here (found it via reddit), it just shows how smart of a defender noah is. Unlike zu, he knows how to use his body and his positioning is better. Doc can trust him not to foul in a late game more than zu probably.

I'm just hoping he's healthy in the spot mins or even a game (if a series needs him) and to stay healthy. He's the "gasol" piece of our team. No, he doesn't stretch the floor like gasol does, but he plays good and smart defense and he's an extra body. Seems more mobile than zu on guard switches too. Lets hope he's able to do some of that post Achilles.

Once we got noah, my concerns were resolved. Lets hope the clippers win decisively today so we can put this thing to bed.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by NippySudz » Sun Mar 8, 2020 11:12 am

esqtvd wrote:

The equation is that those minutes at the top of the 4th quarter are when Kawhi's getting HIS rest too. Zubac without Kawhi is death, we could look up the stats. Not only that, but Zubac with Lou is statistically pretty much our worst 2-man combination.

Lou is also out there at the beginning of the 4th. Has to be. He and Trezz are our killer bench combination. Can't slip Zubac in there without disaster.

And that's the rest of the story--doesn't even have anything to do with Trezz, only about the shittty alternatives without him.

I do have to agree with your prior argument and this one now that I looked at the data and saw something last yr and this year that reminded me that zu isn't conditioned to play long mins. Just like reggie jackson. Reggie jackson has asthma, he can't play long mins either. The effectiveness drops off.

Last year, doc told zu to work on his conditioning. (many people forget this) I believe zu still has conditioning problems and that's why he doesn't see extended playing time. Against OKC, he was subbed in at the 4:54 mark for harrel and played til the end of the quarter. he was huffing and puffing and he wasn't even in for 5 game mins.

This is him huffing and puffing. The man was not even in for 5 game mins and he's exhausted as ****. Could barely talk.

Read on Twitter

I think spot mins wouldn't hurt in the 4th quarter, but with noah now, we don't have to worry about that if doc simply doesn't trust him or doesn't think he'll be effective in the 4th. It's a moot conversation now. I think he should to get some reps but again, it doesn't matter

Zubac only played 19 mins against OKC and he's huffing and puffing like that. Lol.

addenum: I did not know zubac has been playing professionally basketball since 2016 and played even a few regular season games for the lakers in 2016. I always assumed 2018 was his rookie year for some reason.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#31 » by playaloc916 » Sun Mar 8, 2020 5:47 pm

NippySudz wrote:https://streamable.com/emeso

This is why I wanted Noah, he has quick hands, smart positioning, just a savy veteran. Zu cannot do this. Zu will foul in most of these cases. Zu plays hands straight up defense for everything.

Noah won defensive player of the year in 2014 I think. As long as he isn't gimpy, I think he will definitely contribute on the defensive end. Plus, I love the little history between him and Bron. Makes the eventual series even more intriguing.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#32 » by playaloc916 » Sun Mar 8, 2020 6:00 pm

NippySudz wrote:I have no complaints anymore. The front office has fulfilled all the glaring holes imo

Yup, I haven't seen a front office so effectively and efficiently build a team like this before.

Makes me feel like we were a part of the front office, lol. They did basically everything we wanted them to do.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#33 » by esqtvd » Sun Mar 8, 2020 7:38 pm

playaloc916 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:I have no complaints anymore. The front office has fulfilled all the glaring holes imo

Yup, I haven't seen a front office so effectively and efficiently build a team like this before.

Makes me feel like we were a part of the front office, lol. They did basically everything we wanted them to do.

lol true enough

the difference now is we are THE destination

I'm not sure people line up to play with CP and BG like they do for Kawhi and Bev
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#34 » by TheNewEra » Sun Mar 8, 2020 8:03 pm

esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

The argument using the stat is only one we can use we don’t have enough of a body of work to use anything else. His eye test should be the same numbers we see and anytime he uses “we needed Harrell’s scoring” it never adds up. His eye test should be able to notice that Harrell blows up from fatigue during these long stretches it’s not a opinion it’s a known fact.

You have not established as a fact that Zubac would be better in the 4th quarter at any point, because his graph from the first half goes south after halftime. This is why Doc yanks him.

That's the entire argument I'm making. Zu's great in the 1st and tires as the 3rd goes on. Doc leaves him in as long as he doesn't go to ****. When he's playing well, Zu plays 8 minutes in the 3rd. When he's crap, Doc pulls him after 4.

That's the equation. I don't blame you Planet Zubac guys for not noticing, but I do.

TheNewEra wrote: Drop offs happen in games and the team tends to relax a bit when up big. Trying to use numbers like Zu is the only one dropping off is missing the point of the numbers YOU posted.

By your numbers :

No support for your position in these numbers, in fact support for the contrary. Even ignoring that 4th quarter limited sample.

My point has never been that the Planet Zubac argument is wrong [more Zubac, therefore less Trezz], only that Doc's use of them both is backed by the stats and also in the win column.

Either Noah will get some 4th quarter minutes or we'll play the small ball lineup with J-Myke and/or Marcus. Absent an emergency, Zubac sits.

Zu is not going to get 4th quarter minutes this season, let alone in the playoffs. Not gonna happen and I've been telling you Planet Zubac guys for months now but you still keep coming at me.

Peace, bro.

This s**t is a dead issue. Doc haters gotta move on.

Maybe your opinion is right. But Zubac has not EARNED more 2nd half minutes, and Doc has the stats to back that up and Doc got the wins.

You haven’t established the fact that Harrell would be better look at the drop off in numbers and the starters as a whole.

You keep circle jerking that there is no body of work for him to play at all when the numbers show his third quarter is better than the 4th quarter Harrell is playing.

Your planet Zubac jabs just show how childish you are to resort to insults when data doesn’t support your reach for a argument and it’s been the case all season.

You came in here and said that Zubac shouldn’t play the fourth quarters because his numbers declined and completely ignored the major decline in not only Harrell but the rest of the starters
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#35 » by TheNewEra » Sun Mar 8, 2020 8:10 pm

NippySudz wrote:

That’s pretty sad as a fan to turn on a player that’s been doing all year for a end of bench guy but whatever
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#36 » by TheNewEra » Sun Mar 8, 2020 8:13 pm

NippySudz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I do have to agree with your prior argument and this one now that I looked at the data and saw something last yr and this year that reminded me that zu isn't conditioned to play long mins. Just like reggie jackson. Reggie jackson has asthma, he can't play long mins either. The effectiveness drops off.

Last year, doc told zu to work on his conditioning. (many people forget this) I believe zu still has conditioning problems and that's why he doesn't see extended playing time. Against OKC, he was subbed in at the 4:54 mark for harrel and played til the end of the quarter. he was huffing and puffing and he wasn't even in for 5 game mins.

This is him huffing and puffing. The man was not even in for 5 game mins and he's exhausted as ****. Could barely talk.

Read on Twitter

I think spot mins wouldn't hurt in the 4th quarter, but with noah now, we don't have to worry about that if doc simply doesn't trust him or doesn't think he'll be effective in the 4th. It's a moot conversation now. I think he should to get some reps but again, it doesn't matter

Zubac only played 19 mins against OKC and he's huffing and puffing like that. Lol.

addenum: I did not know zubac has been playing professionally basketball since 2016 and played even a few regular season games for the lakers in 2016. I always assumed 2018 was his rookie year for some reason.

Wait wait lmao

Are you going to bring up being exhausted in a stretch from coming in he helped his team go from a 3 point lead to 12?

That’s what happens when you play defense, set screens and hustle hard on both ends
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#37 » by esqtvd » Sun Mar 8, 2020 8:15 pm

TheNewEra wrote:

You keep circle jerking

please cut that shttt out bro

that's way out of line

I'm done with you on this
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#38 » by TheNewEra » Sun Mar 8, 2020 8:15 pm

esqtvd wrote:

Trez is playing bench players to start those minutes and look at the drop off of Kawhi with Trez to finish games. These have been a nice reference that the arguments have been off base and only been about pushing a false narrative so thank you
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#39 » by TheNewEra » Sun Mar 8, 2020 8:23 pm

Worse part is the smug ass attitude all the time coming into threads derailing to push the lying half truth narrative. Picking fights and when the narrative doesn’t fit it’s “team first” and it’s ridiculous.

Matters worse you have stat guys and beat writers acknowledging the Trez minutes stretch has been ridiculous

Why even you drop a random stat just to discredit a player that’s not even the topic ?? Then when the stat is looked at and exposed go to childish jokes and completely ignore that the stats don’t add up come on man

I’m done with this topic

Return to Los Angeles Clippers