ImageImageImageImageImage

Mfiondu Kabengele and his potential?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Re: Mfiondu Kabengele and his potential? 

Post#21 » by nickhx2 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:57 am

lol i was like "who's fondue? what college is he playing for?"

i do think 3/d center is his ceiling. but will the team correctly develop him? hard to say.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,890

Post#22 » by ejftw » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:17 am

nickhx2 wrote:lol i was like "who's fondue? what college is he playing for?"

i do think 3/d center is his ceiling. but will the team correctly develop him? hard to say.

:lol:

When we drafted him, my phone kept autocorrecting Mfiondu to Fondue, so I'm just sticking with it
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Post#23 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:59 pm

ejftw wrote:

When we drafted him, my phone kept autocorrecting Mfiondu to Fondue, so I'm just sticking with it

If he didn't have a nickname before, I guess he does now. :lol:
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,178

Post#24 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:55 pm

Now that Doc has been fired, the sky is the limit for Fi's potential. It sounds like the next coach, whoever it is, will be someone who actually gives chances to young players whose last name isn't Rivers.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#25 » by TheNewEra » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:40 pm

ejftw wrote:

All hail Fondue
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#26 » by esqtvd » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:41 am

Develop him. Well, that's the rub. No team has PT to squander on maybes. Even if you're not going to make the playoffs you still have to try to win games so your fans at least turn on the TV.

Fi should have stayed in college. Now he's already 23 and is maybe 6'9" tops. If he were a forward that would be OK. As an NBA center? Give me a break.

That's why the NBA just started a REAL training program.

G League team of elite prospects to be called NBA G League Ignite

https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/nba-amico/g-league-ignite-elite-team

Fi may or may not make it, but almost every G-League [D-League] success story played 10 or so games and then got called up. Do you really think the Clippers had an NBA-ready backup center ready to contribute and Jerry West--who watches everything--didn't yank on Ballmer's chain?
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 147

Post#27 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:50 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Now that Doc has been fired, the sky is the limit for Fi's potential. It sounds like the next coach, whoever it is, will be someone who actually gives chances to young players whose last name isn't Rivers.

I absolutely agree 110%!! Mfi has a very bright future...
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,532

Post#28 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Nov 7, 2020 12:20 am

I'm really sold on this guy. A part of me hopes Harrell walks because the ceiling for the team could be way higher with a backup big with this 3+D archetype who is much bigger than Harrell. We've had really bad luck with stretch bigs in the Doc era. I remember expecting guys like Hawes to carry over their great play, and it never happened. I hope Lue makes more effort than Doc to develop Fi+Mann considering how short we are on young talent.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#29 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 8, 2020 6:21 am

The L.A. Clippers acquired the draft rights to Florida State forward Mfiondu Kabengele (Fi), the 27th overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, from the Brooklyn Nets, in exchange for the draft rights to UCLA guard Jaylen Hands and the Philadelphia 76ers' 2020 first-round pick.

This turned out to be the 19th pick in 2020--in what was predicted to be a weak draft and still is. Didn't hate the move then or now. Not a bad crapshoot--which anything out of the top 10 usually is. The 2018 draft was deep enough that Shai was still there at 11 and the FO cleverly traded up. But Jerome Robinson at 13 was pretty much total crap. [Frankly I'd rather play Sindarius Thornwell or Ty Wallace, and they're OUT of the NBA.]

To Fi, then:

June 2019, after he was drafted

Read on Twitter

Well, he brought some poise [he's Mutombo's nephew] but little technique and virtually NO polish. He put up VERY nice numbers in the G-League...

But so did Jerome.

I'm a lot less excited after seeing that Fi is only 6'9" and he's already 23 [August]. He wasn't even a starter in college. Does he have the talent and athleticism? Certainly. He killed it right out of the box in the Summer League 2019.

Everything you'd want to see. That's the good news. But if you've got NBA skills or talent you don't languish in G-League. They call you up.

The question is--Name a player who spent a FULL season in the G-League [D-League] and then went on to become a rotation player on an NBA playoff team. I got Matt Barnes. Anyone? Anyone??? Bueller? :lol:

Will Fi ever become an NBA starter? Not at center. Nevernevernever. Ain't gonna happen. As a PF? Doubtful.

Can Fi replace Trezz? Absolutely! On paper.

A little taller [though not that much]
a little quicker [ok sure]
better rebounder [Trezz is a minus-rebounder]
can shoot the 3 [even at 30%, better than Trezz who is forgetabboudit]

Will Fi ever match Trezz's intensity, which made this undersized no-talent 6MOY?

I don't think anybody ever will, which makes this all moot. Trezz's grandmother died, and Trezz lost his mojo. Damn right we lost because of Trezz. Trezz lost his mojo and so did the team.

Can Fi replace him? On paper, yes but...

No.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#30 » by nickhx2 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 4:50 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:I'm really sold on this guy. A part of me hopes Harrell walks because the ceiling for the team could be way higher with a backup big with this 3+D archetype who is much bigger than Harrell. We've had really bad luck with stretch bigs in the Doc era. I remember expecting guys like Hawes to carry over their great play, and it never happened. I hope Lue makes more effort than Doc to develop Fi+Mann considering how short we are on young talent.

sounds like kenny atkinson's gonna be on the staff and he should be huge for kabe's development. absolutely, the hope is he becomes a legit stretch big. i also wouldn't point to bad luck as the culprit, though, as it was always doc's bad judgment or inability to properly evaluate players that screwed us with bigs.

i mean, byron mullens was a horrific signing, but hawes was just a travesty that affected the team for years. we could have had the last couple good years of paul pierce, but doc instead tried to lowball him, lost out on him, signed hawes, didn't understand we'd be hardcapped, and burned assets trying to make it all work.

but doc's gone now, and i expect the team to fully focus on developing fringe talents moving forward. from what i recall, lue said that would be one of his priorities so i think we're in good hands.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,425

Post#31 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:17 pm

I hope Kab works out too, but we need to be realistic about his highest potential level and the level he's likely to reach. I posted a possible high water mark as an uninjured Terrence Jones. That would be mind blowingly awesome; Jones was able to start over 100 games and average 13 and 7 and nearly a block and a half a game. And it's within the realm of possibility ... but we shouldn't be expecting anything like that. Or anything close.

Last year, Tony Bradley had a "breakout" year. He averaged less than 12 mpg. He fouled a ton. But he was an effective player when he was on the court, on a good team. I think it's still a reach to expect that out of Kab next year, but that's a realistic goal for the next year or two. For him to become an effective 10th-11th guy would be a big improvement and a welcome development.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#32 » by esqtvd » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:54 am

TrueLAfan wrote:I hope Kab works out too, but we need to be realistic about his highest potential level and the level he's likely to reach. I posted a possible high water mark as an uninjured Terrence Jones. That would be mind blowingly awesome; Jones was able to start over 100 games and average 13 and 7 and nearly a block and a half a game. And it's within the realm of possibility ... but we shouldn't be expecting anything like that. Or anything close.

Last year, Tony Bradley had a "breakout" year. He averaged less than 12 mpg. He fouled a ton. But he was an effective player when he was on the court, on a good team. I think it's still a reach to expect that out of Kab next year, but that's a realistic goal for the next year or two. For him to become an effective 10th-11th guy would be a big improvement and a welcome development.

Sounds right. If Fi can get any rotation minutes at all, it will be an unexpected surprise. This year he was nowhere near ready to set foot on the floor for a playoff contender.

https://213hoops.com/clippers-2020-exit-interview-mfiondu-kabengele/

He’s an athletic, mobile big man who has the potential of outside shooting. Now, in an actual sample size in the G-League, he shot a mere 32%, but the confidence, form, and touch is there for him to be better than that. While not tall, Fi’s size and wingspan enables him to be a deterrent at the rim, as his block numbers in the G-League attest.

Unfortunately, everything else is where Fi struggles. He doesn’t really know how to play defense at a professional level, showing confusion in rotations and schemes – his mobility and athleticism don’t help if he’s in the wrong place. On offense, while he can shoot and can finish above the rim, he’s a black hole who looks for his own shot first, second, and third. The tools are there, but the connection is not. Now, that can be developed, but Fi did not demonstrate that he’s close to being an NBA rotation player.

Future with Clippers
    It’s hard to predict Fi’s future with the Clippers when the crucial pieces on the team have such uncertain futures. If Kawhi Leonard and Paul George leave next year after another disappointing season, the Clippers could be in for a long rebuild, in which case every young asset will become precious. On the other hand, in order to keep Kawhi and PG, the Clippers might go all in on next season, which could very well mean trading Fi for a veteran who brings more to the 2021 Clippers. Fi has not demonstrated that he should be a long-term piece for the Clippers, but he’s also one of the few players on the roster with upside, and is cost-controlled over the next few years. That could either lead to him developing into a key element of future Clippers teams, or as trade bait, and right now it’s impossible to say which path is more likely.

Height: 6’9
Weight: 250 pounds
Position: Center/Power Forward

Key Stats: Averaged 3.5 points and 0.9 rebounds in 5.3 minutes per game across 12 NBA games on 43.8/45/100 shooting splits.

G-League Stats: Averaged 18.7 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 1.1 steals, and 1.9 blocks in 31.3 minutes per game across 31 games played on 48.4/32.7/81 shooting splits.

Contract Status: On a standard four-year rookie deal with team options in 2022 and 2023, with a guaranteed salary of $2,075,880 next season.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#33 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:39 pm

Daniel Oturu selection of this draft shows his potential with the Clippers now.
I mean our FO literally just gave away our second best draft pick in the next 4 years we'll ever have for that prospect, they must have really liked him over Fi. I expect us to trade Fi in a package now.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Post#34 » by Clemenza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:47 pm

DieHardFan wrote:Daniel Oturu selection of this draft shows his potential with the Clippers now.
I mean our FO literally just gave away our second best draft pick in the next 4 years we'll ever have for that prospect, they must have really liked him over Fi. I expect us to trade Fi in a package now.

Oturu might be in the G League this year and Fi will be with the main team. Or even if Oturu is the better player, not sure about this yet, but I don't see us giving up on Fi without seeing what he can do first of all.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#35 » by esqtvd » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:59 pm

Clemenza wrote:
DieHardFan wrote:Daniel Oturu selection of this draft shows his potential with the Clippers now.

Oturu might be in the G League this year and Fi will be with the main team. Or even if Oturu is the better player, not sure about this yet, but I don't see us giving up on Fi without seeing what he can do first of all.

Oturu just turned 21. Fi is 23, already old for a rookie in today's NBA, especially one who's still a project. There aren't even major G-League minutes to spare for him now, at least at the 5. As they say in highly competitive orgs in the business world, it's either move up or move out.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Clemenza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:09 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

Oturu just turned 21. Fi is 23, already old for a rookie in today's NBA, especially one who's still a project. There aren't even major G-League minutes to spare for him now, at least at the 5. As they say in highly competitive orgs in the business world, it's either move up or move out.

I know fully about this type of reasoning for rookies but he's still technically a young player. He's supposed to get a look this year to see if he can contribute or not and that's what I'm looking forward to.. And I'm looking at this objectively and not as a guy that's trying to take Trezz spot/role
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#37 » by esqtvd » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:14 pm

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

I know fully about this type of reasoning for rookies but he's still technically a young player. He's supposed to get a look this year to see if he can contribute or not and that's what I'm looking forward to.. And I'm looking at this objectively and not as a guy that's trying to take Trezz spot/role

objectively where does he fit
floors yours

He’s an athletic, mobile big man who has the potential of outside shooting. Now, in an actual sample size in the G-League, he shot a mere 32%, but the confidence, form, and touch is there for him to be better than that. While not tall, Fi’s size and wingspan enables him to be a deterrent at the rim, as his block numbers in the G-League attest.

Unfortunately, everything else is where Fi struggles. He doesn’t really know how to play defense at a professional level, showing confusion in rotations and schemes – his mobility and athleticism don’t help if he’s in the wrong place. On offense, while he can shoot and can finish above the rim, he’s a black hole who looks for his own shot first, second, and third. The tools are there, but the connection is not. Now, that can be developed, but Fi did not demonstrate that he’s close to being an NBA rotation player.

Future with Clippers
    It’s hard to predict Fi’s future with the Clippers when the crucial pieces on the team have such uncertain futures. If Kawhi Leonard and Paul George leave next year after another disappointing season, the Clippers could be in for a long rebuild, in which case every young asset will become precious. On the other hand, in order to keep Kawhi and PG, the Clippers might go all in on next season, which could very well mean trading Fi for a veteran who brings more to the 2021 Clippers. Fi has not demonstrated that he should be a long-term piece for the Clippers, but he’s also one of the few players on the roster with upside, and is cost-controlled over the next few years. That could either lead to him developing into a key element of future Clippers teams, or as trade bait, and right now it’s impossible to say which path is more likely.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Clemenza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:24 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

floors yours

Future with Clippers

You posted this already and I know its everything you want to hear about how he might not fit with the team but like I said I just want to see him get some minutes. Every player has a pros/cons report card on their game. If he's not a contributor then so be it. No skin off my back and no sleep lost. He'll be back in the G League or overseas then. He's strictly low risk/high reward. There's no narratives with me. Its whatever is best and helps the team win.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#39 » by esqtvd » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:54 pm

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:I know fully about this type of reasoning for rookies but he's still technically a young player. He's supposed to get a look this year to see if he can contribute or not and that's what I'm looking forward to.. And I'm looking at this objectively and not as a guy that's trying to take Trezz spot/role

floors yours

Future with Clippers

You posted this already and I know its everything you want to hear about how he might not fit with the team but like I said I just want to see him get some minutes. Every player has a pros/cons report card on their game. If he's not a contributor then so be it. No skin off my back and no sleep lost. He'll be back in the G League or overseas then. He's strictly low risk/high reward. There's no narratives with me. Its whatever is best and helps the team win.

He'll get a look, but the clock's ticking. Yes, Beverley and Whiteside and many others had to go overseas before it all clicked, and Fi is unfortunately a late starter as it is.

He doesn’t really know how to play defense at a professional level, showing confusion in rotations and schemes – his mobility and athleticism don’t help if he’s in the wrong place.

I reposted this because that's the money quote. First time I saw Joe Ingles--when the Clips gave him his shot at the NBA by inviting him to camp--he shot terrible but I marveled that he was always in the right place. I was not surprised he stuck [albeit with the Jazz].

I'm that skeptical court awareness can really be taught, especially in today's NBA. You just can't camp in the lane and play goalie anymore. I was interested to hear where you think Fi might fit. I actually thought taking Trezz's place was a real opening--just score, play hard, run the floor, block a few shots, not much else.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by Clemenza » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:50 am

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

floors yours

Future with Clippers

He'll get a look, but the clock's ticking. Yes, Beverley and Whiteside and many others had to go overseas before it all clicked, and Fi is unfortunately a late starter as it is.

He doesn’t really know how to play defense at a professional level, showing confusion in rotations and schemes – his mobility and athleticism don’t help if he’s in the wrong place.

I reposted this because that's the money quote. First time I saw Joe Ingles--when the Clips gave him his shot at the NBA by inviting him to camp--he shot terrible but I marveled that he was always in the right place. I was not surprised he stuck [albeit with the Jazz].

I'm that skeptical court awareness can really be taught, especially in today's NBA. You just can't camp in the lane and play goalie anymore. I was interested to hear where you think Fi might fit. I actually thought taking Trezz's place was a real opening--just score, play hard, run the floor, block a few shots, not much else.

Well lets see if he's learned anything on the defensive end. And the age thing usually applies to the late blooming 4 yr college American player who's now trying to find his game in the pros. Fi is from the Congo by way of Canada and he was an unheralded recruit headed to Florida St. The African players are always older when they finally get to the states. Lets just see what he looks like in the few preseason games we have. And like I said if its not happening with him as a player for us then so be it. Its not like we gave up a ransom or pretty much anything at all to acquire him. A first rounder always has to get a look to see what he can do no matter what.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers