ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers roster, what's next?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan, QRich3

nickhx2
Head Coach
Posts: 7,256
And1: 3,505
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#41 » by nickhx2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:14 pm

og15 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Perk just said on The Jump he heard from an inside source they are gonna break this team up. Then said mark my words, they are gonna break this team up.

That's to vague, breaking the team up like nickhx2 said could mean a lot, it could mean moving guys like Lou, not re-signing Harrell, etc, those kinds of moves. On the larger side, sure, it could mean trading PG or something like that. It's hard to really know what it means.

nickhx2 wrote:The other issue is that the team likely keeps doc on board. So if that's the case, the FO needs to take away his broken toys. So i'm fine with a breakup if it means providing the right players that doc will actually utilize.

I'll also be ok with them axing doc and just getting a couple different pieces in. A lot of solutions. But there do need to be some changes.
There's the hope again, don't do it to yourself! We always say this, but then Doc finds someone else, another player to use in a manner that doesn't make sense for the situation at hand.


ok, ok ok, you're right! i just need to breathe!

lol
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 7,783
And1: 3,129
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#42 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:16 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
SK21209 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:It's not just the bubble. He's simply not built for the playoffs. Everything about his game screams "regular season only."


Completely agree.

Like, seriously. Undersized, reliant on hustle and motor, not a good defender, not a good rebounder, not even a good fit with Kawhi and PG. It was never going to go well in the playoffs. This is why it was absurd that Doc kept overplaying him in second halves in the regular season and leaving Zubac on the bench. Even in the regular season, this was costing us games, let alone the playoffs.


With his motor and hustle you'd think Trez would be a good defender!! I think that's the biggest issue, most grit and grind guys are good defenders, or at least adequate defenders who make it up with sweat and effort.

The exact same thing goes for rebounds.

He's nifty at diving to the basket on those LouWill pick and rolls though. Too bad good teams tighten up on that in the playoffs.
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 7,783
And1: 3,129
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#43 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:20 pm

nickhx2 wrote:Thinking on it a bit more. Ballmer, FL, and west are some very smart people. I don't see how they watch that series and aren't thinking about all the different things that could've been done differently from the coaching perspective. Or how different personnel might have impacted things off the bench.

I have a very, very hard time thinking they aren't very much willing to make a coaching change.


This so much. I mean sure our expectations were absolutely crushed against Denver. But think about how much happened for our expectations to be so high in the first place. CP3, Blake, Tobias, SGA, Danilo...we're not afraid to risk positive assets to get better, much less get rid of the bad. I mean who haven't we moved in the last few years, to get to this point?

I'm just glad we have Jerry, because they're going to lean on him even more this offseason. This is the offseason that puts us over the top, or potentially sends the whole thing crashing down to earth with Kawhi and PG's impending free agency next offseason.

The FO knows all this. The team on the floor absolutely wilted the last 3 games but I still believe in the FO, that's for sure.
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 7,783
And1: 3,129
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#44 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:27 pm

There's no reason to dump Paul George, but he could be used as a trade asset to improve the team overall. I mean he was acquired in the first place to facilitate us signing Kawhi. If it's the right move that improves the team, I think Kawhi will buy in.

The right move with PG could be to just get a new head coach and PG to make our offense better.

Rastas wrote:Paul George for Ben Simmons (5yrs)


I have no idea what Sixer fans would think, but if they think PG is a better fit there then something like this could make sense.

Quake Griffin wrote:Paul George for Jrue Holiday + some salary dump?


This is a bit rougher given what we gave up for PG, but would address our point guard situation. It wouldn't be enough by itself to significantly improve the team, but maybe as a tag team with another move.
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 10,398
And1: 13,885
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#45 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:27 pm

nickhx2 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Perk just said on The Jump he heard from an inside source they are gonna break this team up. Then said mark my words, they are gonna break this team up.


i mean, kendrick perkins lol.

Yeah, I'm not really buying it either. Keeping Doc is a clear signal that they're just going to bring this failed team back and magically expect a different result.
Image
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 21,973
And1: 6,537
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#46 » by TheNewEra » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:32 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Perk just said on The Jump he heard from an inside source they are gonna break this team up. Then said mark my words, they are gonna break this team up.


i mean, kendrick perkins lol.

Yeah, I'm not really buying it either. Keeping Doc is a clear signal that they're just going to bring this failed team back and magically expect a different result.



Still hoping Chris Haynes was wrong in all of this and we make the right change
nickhx2
Head Coach
Posts: 7,256
And1: 3,505
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#47 » by nickhx2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:36 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:Thinking on it a bit more. Ballmer, FL, and west are some very smart people. I don't see how they watch that series and aren't thinking about all the different things that could've been done differently from the coaching perspective. Or how different personnel might have impacted things off the bench.

I have a very, very hard time thinking they aren't very much willing to make a coaching change.


This so much. I mean sure our expectations were absolutely crushed against Denver. But think about how much happened for our expectations to be so high in the first place. CP3, Blake, Tobias, SGA, Danilo...we're not afraid to risk positive assets to get better, much less get rid of the bad. I mean who haven't we moved in the last few years, to get to this point?

I'm just glad we have Jerry, because they're going to lean on him even more this offseason. This is the offseason that puts us over the top, or potentially sends the whole thing crashing down to earth with Kawhi and PG's impending free agency next offseason.

The FO knows all this. The team on the floor absolutely wilted the last 3 games but I still believe in the FO, that's for sure.


agree. i mean who doesn't watch g5/6 and see how overplaying montrez killed us? only someone completely blind.
nickhx2
Head Coach
Posts: 7,256
And1: 3,505
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#48 » by nickhx2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:37 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:
i mean, kendrick perkins lol.

Yeah, I'm not really buying it either. Keeping Doc is a clear signal that they're just going to bring this failed team back and magically expect a different result.



Still hoping Chris Haynes was wrong in all of this and we make the right change


same but, all we can do as fans is a whole lot of hoping and not much else unfortunately
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 21,973
And1: 6,537
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#49 » by TheNewEra » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:39 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:There's no reason to dump Paul George, but he could be used as a trade asset to improve the team overall. I mean he was acquired in the first place to facilitate us signing Kawhi. If it's the right move that improves the team, I think Kawhi will buy in.

The right move with PG could be to just get a new head coach and PG to make our offense better.

Rastas wrote:Paul George for Ben Simmons (5yrs)


I have no idea what Sixer fans would think, but if they think PG is a better fit there then something like this could make sense.

Quake Griffin wrote:Paul George for Jrue Holiday + some salary dump?


This is a bit rougher given what we gave up for PG, but would address our point guard situation. It wouldn't be enough by itself to significantly improve the team, but maybe as a tag team with another move.



It’s extremely risky to send PG when he’s suppose to be about home. Talks of loyalty will come into play
User avatar
TucsonClip
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,330
And1: 695
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
Contact:
 

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#50 » by TucsonClip » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:46 pm

nickhx2 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Perk just said on The Jump he heard from an inside source they are gonna break this team up. Then said mark my words, they are gonna break this team up.


The other issue is that the team likely keeps doc on board. So if that's the case, the FO needs to take away his broken toys. So i'm fine with a breakup if it means providing the right players that doc will actually utilize.


I think it is pretty obvious this is going to be the choice.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
User avatar
TucsonClip
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,330
And1: 695
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
Contact:
 

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#51 » by TucsonClip » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:51 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Yeah, I'm not really buying it either. Keeping Doc is a clear signal that they're just going to bring this failed team back and magically expect a different result.


I know everyone is going to balk at what Perk has to say. However, what I had heard for two years before last summer, including the lead up to July 6, 2019, was that Kawhi was the plan. Perk was one of the only guys that summer saying kawhi isnt going to the Lakers, its not done, the Clippers are still alive.

He certainly has some sort of connection in the Clippers/Kawhi camp outside of Doc.

I do agree that what he mentioned on The Jump might be moving off role players like Lou, Trez, Zu, Shamet, ect. However, what if PG agrees to an extend and trade?
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
User avatar
SK21209
Veteran
Posts: 2,996
And1: 3,245
Joined: Jul 12, 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
   

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#52 » by SK21209 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 pm

My dream trade is PG and Harrell for Embiid and Josh Richardson, but lets be realistic. PG is going to be the #2 guy on the team next year. and Doc is probably going to be the coach. I do not like it but in all likelihood (IMO), that will be the case.

I think they'll explore sign and trade options for Montrezl and Morris. I both are pretty good players, but fit is more important than raw talent if we're starting from the premise that Doc will be coaching a team with PG as the #2 guy. I'd like to see Ibaka maybe as a backup center. Christian Wood or Jerami Grant could be good fits at the 4 for us. I've seen some internet "rumors" that we want Derrick Rose and I'm really not sure about that. I think Tyus Jones is pretty good as a secondary playmaker kind of point guard but I'm not sure what Memphis would want for him.
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 7,783
And1: 3,129
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#53 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:04 pm

TheNewEra wrote:It’s extremely risky to send PG when he’s suppose to be about home. Talks of loyalty will come into play


I agree, it's not a decision to be taken lightly. But we also traded away Clipper-for-Life Blake Griffin.

I think if we improve our offense then Paul George will produce better for us, in which case the best value may come from keeping him.

The worst case scenario is both PG and KL leave via free agency after next season. I have no idea what the current thinking of those 2 guys are which really factors into it too. Are they predisposed to staying? Predisposed to leaving? Wait and see? Even if they are predisposed to staying, another disappointing season may change that too.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 36,179
And1: 15,745
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#54 » by og15 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:There's no reason to dump Paul George, but he could be used as a trade asset to improve the team overall. I mean he was acquired in the first place to facilitate us signing Kawhi. If it's the right move that improves the team, I think Kawhi will buy in.

The right move with PG could be to just get a new head coach and PG to make our offense better.

Rastas wrote:Paul George for Ben Simmons (5yrs)


I have no idea what Sixer fans would think, but if they think PG is a better fit there then something like this could make sense.

Quake Griffin wrote:Paul George for Jrue Holiday + some salary dump?


This is a bit rougher given what we gave up for PG, but would address our point guard situation. It wouldn't be enough by itself to significantly improve the team, but maybe as a tag team with another move.



It’s extremely risky to send PG when he’s suppose to be about home. Talks of loyalty will come into play

It's a tough look, considering Blake just got sent away not too long ago after signing a long contract. You don't want to have a reputation among stars of being a team willing to dump them so soon after any sign of trouble.

I don't think it is the right move unless one is getting a clearly and no question better player, and I don't know what clearly better player would be available for him.

I think you have to have some value to consistency and growing together with your main pieces while adjusting the periphery. Trading one of your two stars after their first season together is just not the best way to go.
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 14,604
And1: 4,173
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#55 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 pm

og15 wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:There's no reason to dump Paul George, but he could be used as a trade asset to improve the team overall. I mean he was acquired in the first place to facilitate us signing Kawhi. If it's the right move that improves the team, I think Kawhi will buy in.

The right move with PG could be to just get a new head coach and PG to make our offense better.



I have no idea what Sixer fans would think, but if they think PG is a better fit there then something like this could make sense.



This is a bit rougher given what we gave up for PG, but would address our point guard situation. It wouldn't be enough by itself to significantly improve the team, but maybe as a tag team with another move.



It’s extremely risky to send PG when he’s suppose to be about home. Talks of loyalty will come into play

It's a tough look, considering Blake just got sent away not too long ago after signing a long contract. You don't want to have a reputation among stars of being a team willing to dump them so soon after any sign of trouble.

I don't think it is the right move unless one is getting a clearly and no question better player, and I don't know what clearly better player would be available for him.

I think you have to have some value to consistency and growing together with your main pieces while adjusting the periphery. Trading one of your two stars after their first season together is just not the best way to go.

Nah nah nah.
Reputation schmeputation.

People are smarter than thinking in these broad brush strokes - particularly the ones whose opinions are gonna matter. They’ll know Playoff P is not that guy and we weren’t going to waste another year of Kawhi Prime on it.

Is the goal to keep Kawhi here for the rest of his prime or to flame out again with PG because we sre chasing consistency.
Clever reactions to aggressive situations

#NoMoreDocRiversScholarships
Joshuan3
Junior
Posts: 389
And1: 34
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
Location: Toronto
Contact:
     

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#56 » by Joshuan3 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:18 am

Someone like Bismack Biyombo would be perfect for the Clippers, they need a springy, energetic big man who can grab boards and get second chance points. Hopefully he can bring that effort he brought against the Cavs when he was with the Raptors.

Even Nerlens Noel is a good option, he's quick. If the Clippers advanced and faced the Lakers.. McGee/Howard would've given them problems so they have to address that

Re-sign Marcus Morris and consider trading (Lou Will), Morris can be your 6th man

Make sure Zubac (speed), Shamet (playmaking/defense) & Mann (shooting/playmaking) improve on their skills

A playmaker is needed too, Reggie Jackson was good but he's not really a playmaker. Maybe Ish Smith? Garrett Temple?

If you keep Harrell, he NEEDS a mid-range game (this would open up for floor alot, no one guards him when he's outside the paint), needs to work on his speed and learn rebound positioning and IQ (he got out rebounded a ton of times, and half of it was cause of his positioning).

Doc Rivers needs to come up with defensive schemes, hire an assistant coach to help. Putting Patrick Beverly early in the 4th with 5 fouls was dumb, putting Harrell on Jokic was dumb.

Man this L is on the Clippers, I understand game 5 but game 6 they should've ended it.
Not drafting MPJ bite them too.
nickhx2
Head Coach
Posts: 7,256
And1: 3,505
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#57 » by nickhx2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:52 am

pretty good take from a non-clipper fan, imo
Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
Posts: 8,178
And1: 2,033
Joined: May 01, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#58 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:03 am

I think they should try to sign Gasol. I know he is thinking of going back to Spain, but perhaps he'd be interested in a 2 year deal with the Clippers. Can they offer him anything though?
Vae Victus
Analyst
Posts: 3,228
And1: 1,285
Joined: Jun 09, 2013

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#59 » by Vae Victus » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:19 am

Well first off, the Clips are over hte cap, and Ballmer will go balls deep into the tax to remain a contender. Next season CANNOT be a failure and risk Kawhi and PG13 fleeing this dumpster fire (bitchass Doc will soon follow with his "i dont coach a rebuild" when it was all his fault for falling apart). Next year could be apocalyptic if the team suffers another massive letdown under Doc,

Roster wise, everyone gets resigned. Marcus Morris, i believe we have his bird rights, so bring him back to something reasonable, and have a full off season to integrate him. Harrell definitely hurt his stock so he'll be getting a paycut from what he was expecting, but do your best to bring him back anyway. If JaMychal Green opts out, you bring him back, cuz its not like money is a limiting factor atm with Ballmer cutting checks. Then use the Tax Payer MLE on the best playmaking PG on the market. It could be RJax, might even be Rondo if he helps the Lakers win the chip, who knows who it could be. Then i'd bring in Lin to be a 3rd PG for the vet min, who has experience in the playoff wars, can playmake some, and most importantly is a great locker room guy. This team is full of knuckleheads, so bringing in some grounded grizzled vets to settle them down, would be good. Guys who will run through walls for the chance to help the team, i'd bring back Noah as well if his health checks out. I want some harder workers in the locker to help instill discipline and good habits into the young guys.

You bring everyone back... and then you let the Logo wheel and deal with a roster full of mismatched talent, until the Logo finds the right deals to bring back the right players. Just because everyone is back doesnt mean everyone will be sticking around. Package players 2 or 3 at at time to get upgrades that FIT in whatever team concept theyre going with next year.

Ideally i'd **** Doc, but i dont think Ballmer has the balls to do it, with the whole BLM Social Justice Movement in full swing, and Doc scummily insinuating himself into the "struggle". Instead Ballmer better be ready to cut checks to bring everyone back, eat a lux tax bill, and get out of the way and let the Logo do his work. Personally i'd like to bring in Dantoni, sure he's no defensive whiz, but offensive i think he can unlock PG13 to his max potential and at least help the team generate some easy baskets by instituting offensive principles. There's enough defensive talent on the team to make it respectable, and just have Dantoni find an assistant to hand that end of the floor.
User avatar
donemilio21
Starter
Posts: 2,145
And1: 296
Joined: Aug 20, 2009
Location: Santa Barbara
   

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#60 » by donemilio21 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:39 pm

I think roster moves are meaninglessness as long as Doc is the headcoach. We can get Luka, Giannis and Jokic to join Kawhi and PG and Doc would still find a way to lose.
Need a new headcoach and then decide whether we need a playmaker point guard or not depending on the play style that coach will implement. We can't really sign any FAs so whoever we get will have to be a vet minimum (after this blowout, we'd have hard time with that too) or via trade.
Do not resign Harrell or Green.
Try to bring Morris back.

Thanks to the PG deal we have zero draft assets to trade. So only way we can do somthing if we take a lot of money, and with salary cap rules even that is not possible in most cases since we dont have any large contracts to trade besides Kawhi and PG.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers


cron