Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#461 » by KL78192020 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:34 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:There is no way we were giving Rondo that deal.

You have to wonder if a fire sale in the spring and an organizational housecleaning in the summer is an option Ballmer is holding open by not taking on any odious contracts. [The Marcus Morris signing being the only hole so far in this theory.] Do you hope that Kawhi stays put despite a treading water season?

Or do you go full Hail Mary and get Westbrook and poison the sal cap for years to come? These are Ballmer's options--none of them good.

You all need to chill lol

It is an interesting question though. What if the team isn't top 3-4 seed. Do you get value back for George/Kawhi or even though its a small chance risk losing them as FA.
James2000
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#462 » by James2000 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Ok so from all of this, what can the clippers do to be in title contention? I don't see what is out there that would keep them in title picture?
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#463 » by TucsonClip » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:40 pm

KL78192020 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

You have to wonder if a fire sale in the spring and an organizational housecleaning in the summer is an option Ballmer is holding open by not taking on any odious contracts. [The Marcus Morris signing being the only hole so far in this theory.] Do you hope that Kawhi stays put despite a treading water season?

Or do you go full Hail Mary and get Westbrook and poison the sal cap for years to come? These are Ballmer's options--none of them good.

It is an interesting question though. What if the team isn't top 3-4 seed. Do you get value back for George/Kawhi or even though its a small chance risk losing them as FA.

I've been expecting a PG extension, TBH. Not saying the questions aren't valid, but we have a long way to go before then. The only way PG brings anything of value back is if he's extended first. Kawhi would obviously bring back a better return, but you aren't getting much back that means anything.

I don't anticipate either leaving, unless it's a mutual split in order to bring in another stud to pair with Kawhi. Doesn't sound like Giannis will hit the market, so I circle back to where I started with the PG extension.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#464 » by TucsonClip » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:42 pm

James2000 wrote:Ok so from all of this, what can the clippers do to be in title contention? I don't see what is out there that would keep them in title picture?

Honestly, flipping Lou for a PG and signing Ibaka puts us right there with anyone else. The path to a title is clearly more littered today, but let's not act like we aren't legit contenders.

- Shane Battier
James2000
Sophomore

Post#465 » by James2000 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:44 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:You all need to chill lol

I've been expecting a PG extension, TBH. Not saying the questions aren't valid, but we have a long way to go before then. The only way PG brings anything of value back is if he's extended first. Kawhi would obviously bring back a better return, but you aren't getting much back that means anything.

I don't anticipate either leaving, unless it's a mutual split in order to bring in another stud to pair with Kawhi. Doesn't sound like Giannis will hit the market, so I circle back to where I started with the PG extension.

Ok, so let's says that the clippers don't win the title this year, is there a free agent willing to come to the clippers next summer to form a big 3?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#466 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:There is no way we were giving Rondo that deal.

I made my money reading organizational tea leaves, Jeff. :wink: I was about the only one who saw the Clippers still landing Kawhi when everyone else had thrown in the towel.

I'm seeing all this through Ballmer's eyes, and there is no denying this house of cards is teetering. It was all built on Kawhi, who is a sphinx. I doubt Ballmer has any clue what KL's feeling or thinking--and neither probably does Kawhi.

How do you plan and build a future on that? I think Ballmer's doing the only thing he can--sitting tight and leaving his options open.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
James2000
Sophomore

Post#467 » by James2000 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
James2000 wrote:Ok so from all of this, what can the clippers do to be in title contention? I don't see what is out there that would keep them in title picture?

Honestly, flipping Lou for a PG and signing Ibaka puts us right there with anyone else. The path to a title is clearly more littered today, but let's not act like we aren't legit contenders.

Ok, so what PG is out there that we can flip lou Williams for? I am not dispelling your optimism of the clippers, but wanting to see who would take on lou Williams that we can consider either a lateral or upgrade?
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#468 » by TucsonClip » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:50 pm

James2000 wrote:
Ok, so let's says that the clippers don't win the title this year, is there a free agent willing to come to the clippers next summer to form a big 3?

The question should be, are either Kawhi or PG willing to take a massive discount to make that happen? It's not reasonable to expect us to sign a third star and somehow retain both Kawhi and PG.

- Shane Battier
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#469 » by KL78192020 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:50 pm

TucsonClip wrote:

Do they have cap space for Ibaka? I think hes going to get 20 a year minimum.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#470 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:51 pm

ejftw wrote:Man, all this negativity. This FO has shown to be among the best in the league

"Among the best in the league" isn't saying much with how incredibly stupid some teams' front offices are. And our FO has had some major blunders over the years that have really set us back.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#471 » by nickhx2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:53 pm

we can offer him 9.3 MLE
James2000
Sophomore

Post#472 » by James2000 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:53 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
James2000 wrote:

The question should be, are either Kawhi or PG willing to take a massive discount to make that happen? It's not reasonable to expect us to sign a third star and somehow retain both Kawhi and PG.

That is a really great question. It depends on the star. If it's like a Chris Paul, the answer would be no. If it's for someone who is like a major player, then I would say a strong yes.
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#473 » by clipsfever » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:56 pm

The front office showed they are on the front foot on draft night. Maximizing options.
F Rondo.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#474 » by TucsonClip » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:56 pm

esqtvd wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I made my money reading organizational tea leaves, Jeff. :wink: I was about the only one who saw the Clippers still landing Kawhi when everyone else had thrown in the towel.

I'm seeing all this through Ballmer's eyes, and there is no denying this house of cards is teetering. It was all built on Kawhi, who is a sphinx. I doubt Ballmer has any clue what KL's feeling or thinking--and neither probably does Kawhi.

How do you plan and build a future on that? I think Ballmer's doing the only thing he can--sitting tight and leaving his options open.

You and I were both on Kawhi correctly. Remember, I told you all 2 years before Kawhi signed he was the focus of the franchise.

We have a good amount of options still available in order to improve for this year. I can't tell you if Kawhi or PG are staying, but I'd lean to them both returning.

- Shane Battier
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#475 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:58 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
James2000 wrote:

The question is also--will any "3rd star" believe in KL and PG enough to even come here? Every other post here is trashing Trezz's playoff collapse while ignoring theirs. Do you really want to get into the trenches with these guys?

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#476 » by TucsonClip » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:58 pm

KL78192020 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Do they have cap space for Ibaka? I think hes going to get 20 a year minimum.

I don't see that happening. He's being courted by us, Toronto and Brooklyn. I could see him taking 3 years at the full MLE.

- Shane Battier
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#477 » by TucsonClip » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:01 pm

esqtvd wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
James2000 wrote:

The question is also--will any "3rd star" believe in KL and PG enough to even come here? Every other post here is trashing Trezz's playoff collapse while ignoring theirs. Do you really want to get into the trenches with these guys?

I get the narrative you're pushing, but you're literally ignoring that he's a two time Finals MVP, not to mention everything else about Kawhi besides the second half of Game 7.

- Shane Battier
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#478 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:08 pm

Jeff Teague or bust now for Clippers. There’s no one left in the point guard free agent pool
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#479 » by TucsonClip » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:20 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Jeff Teague or bust now for Clippers. There’s no one left in the point guard free agent pool

Hell no to Teague. It doesn't need to be a free agent.

- Shane Battier
James2000
Sophomore

Post#480 » by James2000 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:27 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Jeff Teague or bust now for Clippers. There’s no one left in the point guard free agent pool

Hell no to Teague. It doesn't need to be a free agent.

Ok, who do you think that we should get?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers