ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’

Moderators: QRich3, og15, TrueLAfan

User avatar
Shaliq
Sophomore
Posts: 174
And1: 95
Joined: Apr 10, 2013
Location: Brazil
Contact:
     

OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#1 » by Shaliq » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:19 pm

Rivers, who has 13 years of experience as an NBA player and 21 years as a head coach with one championship, was instrumental in the bubble.
The Clippers’ championship dreams with P. George and Kawhi Leonard turned into unexpected nightmares after losing three straight games to the Nuggets. But when the history of the NBA bubble is written, Rivers’ imprint behind the scenes will be remembered with respect and appreciation.

“Coming here was worth it,” Rivers told The Undefeated after the game. “The league did an amazing job. Our players have done a phenomenal job. … I’ll go home and feel awful about losing. But as far as the social change … we’re gonna keep that going.”
https://theundefeated.com/features/his-message-was-powerful-how-doc-rivers-made-an-impact-in-the-nba-bubble/
NickP
Sophomore
Posts: 213
And1: 93
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#2 » by NickP » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:44 pm

Screw doc and his social message agenda. Doc was more interested in making activist speeches from the podium than actually doing a half way decent job of coaching. Screw Doc.
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 10,450
And1: 13,900
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#3 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 pm

Worth it for him? Sure. He gets to live in LA and face zero scrutiny from the franchise or the media for underperforming.

It sure hasn't been worth it for us, though.
Image
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 22,131
And1: 6,653
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#4 » by TheNewEra » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:49 pm

One of the biggest mistakes in franchise history was trading for that man.
LamarWho
Sophomore
Posts: 106
And1: 40
Joined: Oct 06, 2019

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#5 » by LamarWho » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:14 pm

This guy is one hell of a snake oil salesman. No matter how badly he's doing his job, he keeps getting these recognitions.

;t=12s
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 22,131
And1: 6,653
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#6 » by TheNewEra » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:48 am

I feel sick the Lakers make the finals and Vogel looks masterful doing so


Javale Mcgee 2 mins for the game
lautreamont
Freshman
Posts: 59
And1: 54
Joined: Dec 30, 2019

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#7 » by lautreamont » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:21 am

NickP wrote:Screw doc and his social message agenda. Doc was more interested in making activist speeches from the podium than actually doing a half way decent job of coaching. Screw Doc.


The message is much bigger than the game.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
Posts: 7,613
And1: 595
Joined: Apr 11, 2001

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#8 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:20 pm

I keep saying this--I get, to some extent, the dislike (I'm being super nice with that word) of Doc Rivers. There's completely legitimate questions about him as an Xs and Os guy. He was a big turd as a GM. My problem with him is more about him deflecting than anything else--I've never seen a coach who is able to get reporters off subject as well or easily as Doc Rivers. That can be a good thing, but a lot of times it isn't. Those things I mentioned add up.

But I have to say this as a (very) long time Clipper fan. Doc Rivers gave us a level of credibility and impact after the Sterling era that probably would have taken an extra decade to achieve. It's so easy to forget now that we're known as playoff chokers that for years--decades!--we were not a viable choice for free agents. Nobody wanted to coach here. The racist background of Sterling would and could have hung over us for a lot longer. Doc erased that. He erased that fast. I have the playoff f@$%ups, but I'll always be grateful to Doc Rivers for coming as a championship coach (which showed we could get that kind of coach) and giving us legitimacy in that department. And you may not agree with his social activism--and like I said, it sometimes devolves into deflection--but it healed the racial chasm left by Donald Sterling much, much faster than another coach would have.
Image
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 10,450
And1: 13,900
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#9 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:27 pm

lautreamont wrote:
NickP wrote:Screw doc and his social message agenda. Doc was more interested in making activist speeches from the podium than actually doing a half way decent job of coaching. Screw Doc.


The message is much bigger than the game.

Doc's job is to coach a basketball team. He's one of the highest-paid coaches in pro sports. No message justifies keeping someone who has failed miserably at their actual job.
Image
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 10,450
And1: 13,900
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#10 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:32 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:I keep saying this--I get, to some extent, the dislike (I'm being super nice with that word) of Doc Rivers. There's completely legitimate questions about him as an Xs and Os guy. He was a big turd as a GM. My problem with him is more about him deflecting than anything else--I've never seen a coach who is able to get reporters off subject as well or easily as Doc Rivers. That can be a good thing, but a lot of times it isn't. Those things I mentioned add up.

But I have to say this as a (very) long time Clipper fan. Doc Rivers gave us a level of credibility and impact after the Sterling era that probably would have taken an extra decade to achieve. It's so easy to forget now that we're known as playoff chokers that for years--decades!--we were not a viable choice for free agents. Nobody wanted to coach here. The racist background of Sterling would and could have hung over us for a lot longer. Doc erased that. He erased that fast. I have the playoff f@$%ups, but I'll always be grateful to Doc Rivers for coming as a championship coach (which showed we could get that kind of coach) and giving us legitimacy in that department. And you may not agree with his social activism--and like I said, it sometimes devolves into deflection--but it healed the racial chasm left by Donald Sterling much, much faster than another coach would have.

Any "credibility" or "legitimacy" that Doc brought to the Clippers was quickly eroded by his historic playoff failures, disastrous reign as GM and trading for his son. Seven years into the Doc era and the Clippers have regressed all the way back to being the punchline of everyone's jokes. Nobody respects this franchise, nor should they.
Image
nickhx2
Head Coach
Posts: 7,304
And1: 3,522
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#11 » by nickhx2 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:15 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:I keep saying this--I get, to some extent, the dislike (I'm being super nice with that word) of Doc Rivers. There's completely legitimate questions about him as an Xs and Os guy. He was a big turd as a GM. My problem with him is more about him deflecting than anything else--I've never seen a coach who is able to get reporters off subject as well or easily as Doc Rivers. That can be a good thing, but a lot of times it isn't. Those things I mentioned add up.

But I have to say this as a (very) long time Clipper fan. Doc Rivers gave us a level of credibility and impact after the Sterling era that probably would have taken an extra decade to achieve. It's so easy to forget now that we're known as playoff chokers that for years--decades!--we were not a viable choice for free agents. Nobody wanted to coach here. The racist background of Sterling would and could have hung over us for a lot longer. Doc erased that. He erased that fast. I have the playoff f@$%ups, but I'll always be grateful to Doc Rivers for coming as a championship coach (which showed we could get that kind of coach) and giving us legitimacy in that department. And you may not agree with his social activism--and like I said, it sometimes devolves into deflection--but it healed the racial chasm left by Donald Sterling much, much faster than another coach would have.


i'd love doc as president of the united states.

as coach of the clippers? i'd like to think we can do better.
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 10,450
And1: 13,900
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#12 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:39 pm

nickhx2 wrote:i'd love doc as president of the united states.

:lol: You say that now, but then he'd choose Austin as his vice president and nominate a bunch of former Celtics players to the Supreme Court.
Image
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 14,614
And1: 4,178
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#13 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:16 am

This quote is as weird, awkward, and tone deaf as it gets.

He is a master at media....
Insulating himself from criticism.
Manipulative really.
Clever reactions to aggressive situations

#NoMoreDocRiversScholarships
NickP
Sophomore
Posts: 213
And1: 93
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#14 » by NickP » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:13 am

lautreamont wrote:
NickP wrote:Screw doc and his social message agenda. Doc was more interested in making activist speeches from the podium than actually doing a half way decent job of coaching. Screw Doc.


The message is much bigger than the game.

Lol. Tell that to the Lakers. Tell that to all those fans who'll enjoy the parade.
NippySudz
Veteran
Posts: 2,909
And1: 1,004
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#15 » by NippySudz » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:51 pm

TheNewEra wrote:I feel sick the Lakers make the finals and Vogel looks masterful doing so


Javale Mcgee 2 mins for the game

it's wild that vogel and jason kidd are about to get a ring as coaches. Wild. Would have never thought we see vogel as a champion or kidd but credit to the lakers and their coaching staff. They make adjustments. Way more we could ever say about doc.
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 22,131
And1: 6,653
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: OT - Doc: ‘Coming here was worth it’ 

Post#16 » by TheNewEra » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:27 am

I’m glad we get a quick turnaround

Return to Los Angeles Clippers