ImageImageImageImageImage

New coach

Moderators: QRich3, og15, TrueLAfan

James2000
Freshman
Posts: 57
And1: 7
Joined: Sep 18, 2020

New coach 

Post#1 » by James2000 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:30 pm

Who would you want to be the next head coach?
Goner
Senior
Posts: 679
And1: 424
Joined: May 28, 2015
 

Re: New coach 

Post#2 » by Goner » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:51 pm

I'd want an up-and-comer who understands the new-fangled offensive systems so well they won't have the tendency to revert back to dated offensive structures. The only presently fired coach who fits that bill is D'Antoni, but due to our defensive pedigree we should look elsewhere to maximize that potential. In short, I have no idea who the Clippers should pursue. lol
James2000
Freshman
Posts: 57
And1: 7
Joined: Sep 18, 2020

Re: New coach 

Post#3 » by James2000 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:55 pm

Goner wrote:I'd want an up-and-comer who understands the new-fangled offensive systems so well they won't have the tendency to revert back to dated offensive structures. The only presently fired coach who fits that bill is D'Antoni, but due to our defensive pedigree we should look elsewhere to maximize that potential. In short, I have no idea who the Clippers should pursue. lol


What about alvin gentry? He pretty much ran the same system as mike dantoni and he know what to do with a big man
Goner
Senior
Posts: 679
And1: 424
Joined: May 28, 2015
 

Re: New coach 

Post#4 » by Goner » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:58 pm

James2000 wrote:
Goner wrote:I'd want an up-and-comer who understands the new-fangled offensive systems so well they won't have the tendency to revert back to dated offensive structures. The only presently fired coach who fits that bill is D'Antoni, but due to our defensive pedigree we should look elsewhere to maximize that potential. In short, I have no idea who the Clippers should pursue. lol


What about alvin gentry? He pretty much ran the same system as mike dantoni and he know what to do with a big man

I don't trust him just like I don't trust D'Antoni. The point I was making was more so in the abstract, as in the type of offensive and defensive structures coaches tended to run, rather than those specific coaches themselves.
Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
Posts: 8,229
And1: 2,059
Joined: May 01, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: New coach 

Post#5 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:05 pm

I want popovich if he can make amends with Kawhi.

If not pop, then Cassell,Lue or Billups. Just stay as far away from mark Jackson as possible
James2000
Freshman
Posts: 57
And1: 7
Joined: Sep 18, 2020

Re: New coach 

Post#6 » by James2000 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I want popovich if he can make amends with Kawhi.

If not pop, then Cassell,Lue or Billups. Just stay as far away from mark Jackson as possible


Why not mark Jackson?
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 10,453
And1: 13,905
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: New coach 

Post#7 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:23 pm

I've been saying for years that the Clippers should look to Europe for the next coach. Someone like Jasikevicius, Obradovic, Itoudis, Pablo Laso, etc. Europe has been producing incredible basketball talent for a while now and one of the biggest reasons why is the coaching/systems they get to develop with. I think it's silly to dismiss an entire continent full of coaches just because Blatt didn't do well in Cleveland.

It would be a bold move, I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion, but conventional coaching hires have rarely worked out for the Clippers, so we should try something different.
Image
Slim Charlez
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,893
And1: 1,897
Joined: Jan 15, 2017
   

Re: New coach 

Post#8 » by Slim Charlez » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:33 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I want popovich if he can make amends with Kawhi.

If not pop, then Cassell,Lue or Billups. Just stay as far away from mark Jackson as possible


I don't think Pop and Kawhi have any sort of issues but no chance he'd go there at this stage. Ime udoka is someone to look at from pop's former assistants but don't think he's in with a significant shot. Cassell or billups would be very interesting options.
Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
Posts: 8,229
And1: 2,059
Joined: May 01, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: New coach 

Post#9 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 pm

James2000 wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:I want popovich if he can make amends with Kawhi.

If not pop, then Cassell,Lue or Billups. Just stay as far away from mark Jackson as possible


Why not mark Jackson?

Because he is even worse than Doc. It is astonishing how little he got out of those GSW teams- they improved so much as soon as they fired him.
User avatar
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
Posts: 6,749
And1: 1,756
Joined: Jan 30, 2012
Location: Charlotte
     

Re: New coach 

Post#10 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:52 pm

Phil Jackson
Image
User avatar
esqtvd
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,194
And1: 1,228
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: New coach 

Post#11 » by esqtvd » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:01 pm

but anyone who says they know what Ballmer and Jerry are thinking is lying

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
Posts: 8,229
And1: 2,059
Joined: May 01, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: New coach 

Post#12 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:26 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:Phil Jackson

I don't think I could take it. I know he's a better coach than Doc, but I've despised Phil Jackson going all the way back to his Bulls days. One of the most arrogant coaches of all time. Yes, very good coach, but slightly overrated due to all of the great talent he has coached.
James2000
Freshman
Posts: 57
And1: 7
Joined: Sep 18, 2020

Re: New coach 

Post#13 » by James2000 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:33 am

Help me understand about why Jeff van Gundy.. I understand about taking the Knicks to nba finals but when he was at Houston, I don't know really what he took the team to. Explain this to me please
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 36,236
And1: 15,807
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: New coach 

Post#14 » by og15 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:47 am

JVG seems to always be mentioned in coaching searches, but I don't even know if he takes any interviews
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 22,166
And1: 6,664
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: New coach 

Post#15 » by TheNewEra » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:59 am

What about Thibs?
nickhx2
Head Coach
Posts: 7,307
And1: 3,523
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: New coach 

Post#16 » by nickhx2 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:04 am

he is awful
nickhx2
Head Coach
Posts: 7,307
And1: 3,523
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: New coach 

Post#17 » by nickhx2 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:12 am

og15 wrote:JVG seems to always be mentioned in coaching searches, but I don't even know if he takes any interviews


i agree. he seems to be mentioned all the time but it never ever gets serious.

i'd certainly be curious about his impact on the team though. i think the team needs a good dose of someone who is not afraid to call it out and act on it.
Vae Victus
Analyst
Posts: 3,288
And1: 1,313
Joined: Jun 09, 2013

Re: New coach 

Post#18 » by Vae Victus » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:25 am

My 2 top suggestions would be D'antoni and Atkinson.

D'antoni will turbo charge the offense to an epic degree. He'll turn PG13 into a similar superstar, similar to Harden's transformation. Kawhi can shoot some more 3s and probably go up a notch himself. The role players will be enthusiastically allowed to shoot and run and gun, and thus hustle since the ball will be humming. I think D'antoni has it in him to coach a champion. The Suns and Rockets were really screwed by bad luck.

Atkinson is an up and coming coach. He turned the talentless putrid BRK Nets into a playoff squad, now give him talent and support (ala Riley backing Spo) and i'm confident that Atkinson can develop into a fine coach himself. His offensive principles are on point and he's young enough to be willing to adjust on the fly.

Of all the coaches available these 2 are the best, due to their emphasis on ball movement in unloacking a roster offensive potential.

Absolutely do not hire Mark Jackson or Tyronn Lue. Hell i wouldnt be surprised if Lue back stabbed Doc somehow to tip the scales. That dude is a snake always hunting for a fat paying head coaching job, get him the **** out.
James2000
Freshman
Posts: 57
And1: 7
Joined: Sep 18, 2020

Re: New coach 

Post#19 » by James2000 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 am

I really don't know what jeff van Gundy can do here. It just seems like I don't really know what his value is to the team.
James2000
Freshman
Posts: 57
And1: 7
Joined: Sep 18, 2020

Re: New coach 

Post#20 » by James2000 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:34 am

Vae Victus wrote:My 2 top suggestions would be D'antoni and Atkinson.

D'antoni will turbo charge the offense to an epic degree. He'll turn PG13 into a similar superstar, similar to Harden's transformation. Kawhi can shoot some more 3s and probably go up a notch himself. The role players will be enthusiastically allowed to shoot and run and gun, and thus hustle since the ball will be humming. I think D'antoni has it in him to coach a champion. The Suns and Rockets were really screwed by bad luck.

Atkinson is an up and coming coach. He turned the talentless putrid BRK Nets into a playoff squad, now give him talent and support (ala Riley backing Spo) and i'm confident that Atkinson can develop into a fine coach himself. His offensive principles are on point and he's young enough to be willing to adjust on the fly.

Of all the coaches available these 2 are the best, due to their emphasis on ball movement in unloacking a roster offensive potential.

Absolutely do not hire Mark Jackson or Tyronn Lue. Hell i wouldnt be surprised if Lue back stabbed Doc somehow to tip the scales. That dude is a snake always hunting for a fat paying head coaching job, get him the **** out.


I agree with you on Atkinson because I think that he can coach and strategy. No with Mike Dantoni. This guy is not worth it as far as taking a team to the next level. I think that the team gets worse with him being the coach.

Now, I don't know about Tyronn Lou. I think that he might be pretty good but kind of want Nate McMillan or maybe steve Clifford from Orlando

Return to Los Angeles Clippers