TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: Paul George Signs 4 Year $190 Mil Extension 

Post#21 » by TucsonClip » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can't wait to watch Twitter freak out over this. Clippers aren't morons. They aren't losing PG for nothing and they now have a legitimate trade chip should they want to move on next season.

I think that is not the right amount.
He declines the PO for next year and signs for 4 years.
21-22 $39.3M
22-23 $42.5M
23-24 $45.6M
24-25 (PO) $48.8M

So it's a 4-year $176M extension. If he declines the PO on his age 34 season, it is a 3-year $127M contract. Because it's a max contract the amount has to be 35% of salary cap after next year + 8% year average annual increases. I think what Woj is reporting is the maximum possible amount.
Somebody please correct me, if I'm wrong.

The tweet isnt exactly correct, but it is based on whatever Mintz is calculating the cap coming in at next season, one would assume. The extension is in addition to this season's salary. So the extension is 4 years $190 (or $176 based on Marks' projections) + this season's $35.45 = a guaranteed $226 mil over the next five years.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#22 » by esqtvd » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:51 pm

At least the Clippers station is talking about the Clippers instead of the Lakers for a change. :P
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#23 » by nickhx2 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:52 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:what does anything in my post have to do with the lakers

because we are in a league against others and judgement of our performance is relative to what others do.

i'd get it if i said "we had the best offseason in the league compared to others," but i didn't.

whataboutism takes are pretty silly, pointless and only take away from the original message.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 899

Post#24 » by NickP » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:04 pm

esqtvd wrote:At least the Clippers station is talking about the Clippers instead of the Lakers for a change. :P

Actually this is fake news. PG is about to bolt. :x
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by TucsonClip » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:07 pm

LMAO at all these Laker homers like Ireland and the biggest douche of all, Travis Rodgers, absolutely slamming this deal. They have nothing better to do than to troll Clippers fans, especially Rodgers as that is all he does every day.

The obsession is hilarious.

- Shane Battier
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#26 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:30 pm

esqtvd wrote:At least the Clippers station is talking about the Clippers instead of the Lakers for a change. :P

Remember when PG was leaving because the Clippers fired your favorite coach? :lol:
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,078

Post#27 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:33 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:Can Kawhi even sign an extension?

No, because he signed a 2-year deal as a FA with Clippers. He can only resign after the conclusion of his current contract.

Correct, and like Wammy mentioned above, he isn't eligible to be traded until after the season.

And if the Clippers do want to trade, they will have to look to Williams, Beverley, Zubac, Morris, Kennard, or any of their rookies. By extending George, they've taken themselves out of the trade market, with only the buyout market as their only option.

Maybe related: with J.J. Barea being waiving by the Mavericks, the Clippers have been given a second life at getting a true point guard. Right now, they're masquerading the 1, and they'll take any player who plays primarily at that spot.

EDIT:

TucsonClip wrote:LMAO at all these Laker homers like Ireland and the biggest douche of all, Travis Rodgers, absolutely slamming this deal. They have nothing better to do than to troll Clippers fans, especially Rodgers as that is all he does every day.

The obsession is hilarious.

If I ever get a chance to have you on my podcast for the next Clippers Season Wrap-Up, we gotta talk about this. Nobody brings up the Lakers obsession with trolling the Clippers, and the end game of kicking them out of their beloved city, even better if they cease to exist altogether.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Post#28 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:40 pm

To be honest, I don't see anyway we move PG after this contract. Even we strike out in the Playoffs and Kawhi leaves next summer, PG probably stays for retirement. The Org. needs a familiar face in heading to new arena. You can't be empty while LBJ&AD are hanging across the hall.

By the way, book it 2021 All-Nba first team Paul George.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#29 » by esqtvd » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:52 pm

NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by NickP » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:52 pm

esqtvd wrote:Image

Really? How butt hurt are you?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#31 » by esqtvd » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:32 pm

NickP wrote:

bugger off Shemp
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,693

Post#32 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:18 am

I think this signing is fine and good, assuming he is in good health going forward and last season was a bit of a recovery year for him. If we can get a real point guard I think it will help him. Most important is the Clippers having a season good enough to convince Kawhi to re-up as well. Being hungry and playing for a contract is good for some guys, perhaps landing this big extension and giving him a sense of security will actually help Paul more- I don't really doubt his commitment and effort level.

The true superstars of the league are worth more than their max or supermax contracts, Paul George is not in that category but in the next category of solid values. There are plenty of worse contracts in the league from teams chasing impact free agents.
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by NickP » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:27 am

esqtvd wrote:
NickP wrote:

bugger off Shemp

Aww. Touchy, are we?
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 978

Post#34 » by clipperlover » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:26 am

Love PG, but not a fan of the contract. At this age, I would rather see a contract the decreases over time. Going to be tough building a roster of supporting players. I would hope only portions of that contract are guaranteed and there are performance incentives tied to a lot of the money.

Ballmer just gave MSG a near 20 fold increase on their Forum purchase using cash. So, he isn't batting an eye at this contract because it probably ties into his plans for the new arena. Him and Kawhi will either be the centerpiece of the new arena or their contracts moved in order to get the centerpiece (e.g whoever the best player in the NBA is at the time). Ballmer isn't moving into a brand new arena without a star on the upside of his career.

With PG locked up, the Clippers plan A is still Kawhi. However, if Kawhi leaves (doubtful) then Giannis becomes a very real Plan B. Maybe Ballmer has a Giannis-Zion vision for the new arena

Regardless of how you feel about PG, this is funny:
Read on Twitter
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#35 » by clipperlover » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:28 am

Well, he isn't incorrect.
Read on Twitter
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#36 » by Vae Victus » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:29 am

I personally wouldnt mind bringing Blake back if he was healthy. He waives his trade kicker, Blake + Rose + DET SRPs for Marcus Morris + Pat Bev + Lou Will. But i think impossible trade atm unless Zubac is thrown in, due to being hard capped. So an obvious non starter.

Blake Griffin was the singular reason i started to really follow the Clippers. His rookie season was **** magical and i was lucky enough to catch like 10 games at Staples from free tickets from the bank, cuz no one wanted to watch the Clippers back then ;)
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#37 » by TheNewEra » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:45 am

clipperlover wrote:Well, he isn't incorrect.
Read on Twitter

Deserved a max for this alone
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#38 » by clipperlover » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:47 am

Vae Victus wrote:I personally wouldnt mind bringing Blake back if he was healthy. He waives his trade kicker, Blake + Rose + DET SRPs for Marcus Morris + Pat Bev + Lou Will. But i think impossible trade atm unless Zubac is thrown in, due to being hard capped. So an obvious non starter.

Blake Griffin was the singular reason i started to really follow the Clippers. His rookie season was **** magical and i was lucky enough to catch like 10 games at Staples from free tickets from the bank, cuz no one wanted to watch the Clippers back then ;)

Blake is just not even a realistic option. We have to look at more realistic options to improve this roster. I think there could be two options that would benefit us:
1. PB and parts for Eric Bledsoe
2. PB and Lou Will for for Goran Dragic
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#39 » by Vae Victus » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:03 am

clipperlover wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:I personally wouldnt mind bringing Blake back if he was healthy. He waives his trade kicker, Blake + Rose + DET SRPs for Marcus Morris + Pat Bev + Lou Will. But i think impossible trade atm unless Zubac is thrown in, due to being hard capped. So an obvious non starter.

Blake is just not even a realistic option. We have to look at more realistic options to improve this roster. I think there could be two options that would benefit us:
1. PB and parts for Eric Bledsoe
2. PB and Lou Will for for Goran Dragic

Yea i know its unfeasible to trade for Blake, but i just loved him and hope he comes back after he gets bought out by DET.

Bledsoe isnt a bad idea, but i doubt PatBev is a contract they'd take back, whereas Lou Will can be spun off to a 3rd team for assets to NOP. PatBev just have negative value at this point.

Dragic is recovering from a torn plantar, with no one obviously signing him. He wont be ready until late season, and possibly the main target for the team's BAE if we can dump some salary to get access to, with Lou Will as the most obvious candidate to trade for lesser salary coming back.

Edit: Wait oh damn, Bledsoe's got a big ass deal left. Maybe PatBev + a DET SRP can swing it after all.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by TucsonClip » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:30 am

Dragic re-signed with the Heat for 2/$37.4 with a TO on year 2 and is expected to be ready for the opener. They aren't dealing him.

Bledsoe isn't the answer.

- Shane Battier

Return to Los Angeles Clippers