ImageImageImageImageImage

Luke Kennard 4 Years $64 Ms

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Re: Luke Kennard 4 Years $64 Ms 

Post#41 » by nickhx2 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:39 pm

yeah i'm not even remotely worried about kennard. i mean it's clear as day to anyone with a brain what his impact is and what he can do as he gains more comfort.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#42 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:24 pm

I was comparing Luke and Landy's lines so far this year, Landry has started a bit slow out of the gate especially his 3P%. I'm not rooting against Landry to 'win' the trade as that's water under the bridge, and wish him well.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#43 » by NickP » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:41 pm

Luke has still not figured out to use the force. :wink:
I think he's deferring a lot more than he needs to.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,162

Post#44 » by og15 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:49 am

NickP wrote:Luke has still not figured out to use the force. :wink:

The bench as of right now has a few guys that can be that ball handler and scorer, and they need to ether settle into a pecking order, or have it forced on them by coaching or trade. Of course they do need to simply play more minutes together too, they can't simply out-talent their way to positive minutes.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#45 » by LaSheed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:25 pm

Biggest complaint as a Pistons fan.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#46 » by Invictus88 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:37 am

I come in peace as a Pistons fan.

I truly believed that this would have been Luke's big year to come out as a consistent scorer on the Pistons had he stayed put. Partly because of innate skill level and partly because the Pistons have a dearth of offensive talent and Kennard would have no choice but to take a lead role.

This wasn't the case last year and isn't the case this year on the Clippers; so I am starting to have doubts he will ever get there. He's been the ultimate tease. His shooting stroke is so buttery smooth and he'll get in these grooves where the net doesn't even move. But for long spells (lasting multiple games) he'll just pass up shots.

+100 to LaSheed's post.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,426

Post#47 » by TrueLAfan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:32 pm

LaSheed wrote:

Biggest complaint as a Pistons fan.

Invictus88 wrote:I come in peace as a Pistons fan.

I truly believed that this would have been Luke's big year to come out as a consistent scorer on the Pistons had he stayed put. Partly because of innate skill level and partly because the Pistons have a dearth of offensive talent and Kennard would have no choice but to take a lead role.

This wasn't the case last year and isn't the case this year on the Clippers; so I am starting to have doubts he will ever get there. He's been the ultimate tease. His shooting stroke is so buttery smooth and he'll get in these grooves where the net doesn't even move. But for long spells (lasting multiple games) he'll just pass up shots.

+100 to LaSheed's post.

Thanks for the outside perspective from people that have seen Luke play more. I agree with you on pretty much everything. I do think Luke will become better as we get our lineups and roles a little better situated. You guys know this as Pistons fans—you had Reggie Jackson on your team, and he was a good player for you. But, seriously, right now—who do you want taking shots in 2020 … Reggie Jackson or Luke Kennard? Well, with us this season, it’s been Reggie … and I suspect that will change and I think the extra attempts will help Luke get into more of a groove.

The question is how much of a groove he’ll get into. I see what you’re saying about Luke just passing up shots. But even with that, he shoots more than Landry Shamet did. If he can dish as well he did with you, and get 9 or 10 shot attempts a game, he should help us big time. And maybe get to a next level that you mention. I was/am hoping for around 11-3-3 out of Luke in 25 minutes a game. If he can do that and play 70 games, he’ll be on an upward trajectory. Again, thanks for the insight and thoughts.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#48 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:19 pm

+100 to LaSheed's post.

Thanks for posting! The funny thing is that you can sort of cut and paste 'Landry' for 'Luke' and that is basically what happened to us last year. Not completely the same, but pretty analogous (including a buttery smooth stroke...) We were really hoping Landy would take a good step forward to becoming a complete NBA player or at least consistently productive, but it didn't happen.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#49 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:47 am

madmaxmedia wrote:

+100 to LaSheed's post.

Thanks for posting! The funny thing is that you can sort of cut and paste 'Landry' for 'Luke' and that is basically what happened to us last year. Not completely the same, but pretty analogous (including a buttery smooth stroke...) We were really hoping Landy would take a good step forward to becoming a complete NBA player or at least consistently productive, but it didn't happen.

I have no idea who Luke is, and neither does he. And he's getting PAID. More than Lou ever did or will. And there you have it. Lou is like, wtf. Luke gets $64 million and he's not fit to wipe my ass.

The looming Clipper conundrum is this: You either got balls or you don't. Skills are secondary. I think we have mad skills and lack balls.

I am NO LeBron fan but he's got more balls than all our roster put together. I am concerned.

Frankly, whatever skills JJ Redick had, he had the balls to put all of the them to work. More energy than ANY current Clipper.

It's not a question of Ty playing Combination Y instead of Combination X. It's not about Xs and Os. I wish it were that simple. We don't even have a JJ Redick. :o
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#50 » by illastrate » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 am

Luke is deferring like he did as a Piston, but he's shooting the 3 really well. Just needs to be more aggressive offensively. It's only a matter of time before Lou gets traded and Luke takes his role and that's when you'll probably see him be unlocked.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#51 » by Clemenza » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:04 pm

You guys still want Shamet back or what? Lol
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,162

Post#52 » by og15 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:16 pm

Luke has such a smooth shot. In the 11 games since those first 3 games where he was shooting poorly and some got carried away, he's shooting 58/63. That will come down, but he's at 51/52/90 for the season so far.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,096

Post#53 » by LamarWho » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:29 pm

Kennard is playing on a much deeper team than his previous years. He's like the 3rd option in our 2nd unit behind Lou and MM.Sr. Until Lou is gone he will never be able to justify his contract.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#54 » by nickhx2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:34 pm

og15 wrote:Luke has such a smooth shot. In the 11 games since those first 3 games where he was shooting poorly and some got carried away, he's shooting 58/63. That will come down, but he's at 51/52/90 for the season so far.

dumping on kennard was as stupid back then as it is now. it was clear that this guy could shoot but he just was reacclimating to basketball after not playing for A WHOLE YEAR

i imagine he'll really find his comfort zone in the coming weeks with a more defined role (now that the jackson/kennard/williams experiment is over). and perhaps even moreso if we find a lou will trade.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#55 » by TheNewEra » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:54 pm

LamarWho wrote:Kennard is playing on a much deeper team than his previous years. He's like the 3rd option in our 2nd unit behind Lou and MM.Sr. Until Lou is gone he will never be able to justify his contract.

This seems like the case because he’s only been extra aggressive since Lou is out. I’d much rather go with the Luke/Marcus bench scoring combo than a trio with Lou and make the defense weaker.

I like Lou but trading for Kennard should of instantly sealed his fate for a trade. You can’t have a splash bros type situation when you don’t have the defenders. Flip Lou + and try to get a guard and wing
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#56 » by illastrate » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:17 am

Clemenza wrote:You guys still want Shamet back or what? Lol

Do the Nets even want Shamet anymore? :lol:
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#57 » by sashaturiaf » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:18 am

Outside looking in but Kennard has been very disappointing.

Offensively he doesn't look aggressive enough to be the leader of the bench and defensively he will be someone that'll get picked on in the playoffs.

Obviously his value will take a big leap if Lou returns to form or Clips get someone like D rose. Off ball that shooting is still dangerous
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Clemenza » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:31 am

sashaturiaf wrote:Outside looking in but Kennard has been very disappointing.

Offensively he doesn't look aggressive enough to be the leader of the bench and defensively he will be someone that'll get picked on in the playoffs.

Obviously his value will take a big leap if Lou returns to form or Clips get someone like D rose. Off ball that shooting is still dangerous

He's had about three straight good games from us and is improving and starting to find his groove. Is this your first night watching him play?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#59 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:51 am

Clemenza wrote:

He's had about three straight good games from us and is improving and starting to find his groove. Is this your first night watching him play?

In fairness, he was commenting BEFORE tonight's rollover victory vs Sacramento. And Kennard had 9 points in 26 minutes. Plus+9 in a 19-point laughter. Let's not piss on Lou's grave just yet? He's one of the top Clippers of all time and still might help us to a championship.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by Clemenza » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:34 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

In fairness, he was commenting BEFORE tonight's rollover victory vs Sacramento. And Kennard had 9 points in 26 minutes. Plus+9 in a 19-point laughter. Let's not piss on Lou's grave just yet? He's one of the top Clippers of all time and still might help us to a championship.

Yeah I saw the date on his post but still at the same time a lot of these outsiders don't watch games, much less Clipper games, like that in the first place. Plus he has been playing better even before his 20 pt game against Sac. He should've made that post by the second week of the season when he was an actual question mark

Return to Los Angeles Clippers