Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: Luke Kennard 4 Years $64 Ms 

Post#61 » by TheNewEra » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:07 am

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:Outside looking in but Kennard has been very disappointing.

Offensively he doesn't look aggressive enough to be the leader of the bench and defensively he will be someone that'll get picked on in the playoffs.

Obviously his value will take a big leap if Lou returns to form or Clips get someone like D rose. Off ball that shooting is still dangerous

He's had about three straight good games from us and is improving and starting to find his groove. Is this your first night watching him play?

In fairness, he was commenting BEFORE tonight's rollover victory vs Sacramento. And Kennard had 9 points in 26 minutes. Plus+9 in a 19-point laughter. Let's not piss on Lou's grave just yet? He's one of the top Clippers of all time and still might help us to a championship.

We can’t maximize Luke with Lou it’s just not enough shots to go around. That’s two guys that need the ball and heavy attempts but provide the same weaknesses. Even if they could split shots I would rather have Morris active on the floor as a secondary compliment to one of them
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#62 » by esqtvd » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:48 am

TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:He's had about three straight good games from us and is improving and starting to find his groove. Is this your first night watching him play?

In fairness, he was commenting BEFORE tonight's rollover victory vs Sacramento. And Kennard had 9 points in 26 minutes. Plus+9 in a 19-point laughter. Let's not piss on Lou's grave just yet? He's one of the top Clippers of all time and still might help us to a championship.

We can’t maximize Luke with Lou it’s just not enough shots to go around. That’s two guys that need the ball and heavy attempts but provide the same weaknesses. Even if they could split shots I would rather have Morris active on the floor as a secondary compliment to one of them

It's a problem. I don't know if they expected Kennard to be such a liability on D. Nor is it certain he and Senior can pick up the slack if they trade Lou for a better defender. Looks like Lue is still praying he can make it work.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2021-01-20/clippers-dominate-late-to-beat-kings

What a pair

When Lou Williams returned from a two-game absence because of discomfort in his hip, so did his pairing with fellow reserve guard Luke Kennard, a move curious because Lue recently said he wanted to minimize the combination as much as possible. Among the many rotation changes Lue made after the first 10 games, breaking up Williams’ and Kennard’s minutes was at the top of his list because of the defensive liabilities the combination presented around the perimeter.

After averaging 12.5 minutes together during the first 10 games, and being outscored in those minutes, the duo had been paired for just eight minutes total in their two games since Lue’s changes — and outscored opponents by nine in that short span. They played a five-minute stretch together in Wednesday’s first half. The Clippers outscored the Kings by one in the stretch.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,819

Post#63 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:57 am

Clemenza wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:Outside looking in but Kennard has been very disappointing.

Offensively he doesn't look aggressive enough to be the leader of the bench and defensively he will be someone that'll get picked on in the playoffs.

Obviously his value will take a big leap if Lou returns to form or Clips get someone like D rose. Off ball that shooting is still dangerous

He's had about three straight good games from us and is improving and starting to find his groove. Is this your first night watching him play?

I'm not a Clippers fan so I dont catch every game but of what I've watched he's been very passive on offense. I just think Clippers need more from him given what he's getting paid and for what he contributes on the defensive end.

From his Detroit stint you know it is possible so possibly it's just growing pains, when you come to a new team it's natural to get the other guys involved first to ease your way in. Even James Harden is doing that in BKN
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#64 » by TheNewEra » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:07 pm

esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

It's a problem. I don't know if they expected Kennard to be such a liability on D. Nor is it certain he and Senior can pick up the slack if they trade Lou for a better defender. Looks like Lue is still praying he can make it work.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2021-01-20/clippers-dominate-late-to-beat-kings

What a pair

When Lou Williams returned from a two-game absence because of discomfort in his hip, so did his pairing with fellow reserve guard Luke Kennard, a move curious because Lue recently said he wanted to minimize the combination as much as possible. Among the many rotation changes Lue made after the first 10 games, breaking up Williams’ and Kennard’s minutes was at the top of his list because of the defensive liabilities the combination presented around the perimeter.

After averaging 12.5 minutes together during the first 10 games, and being outscored in those minutes, the duo had been paired for just eight minutes total in their two games since Lue’s changes — and outscored opponents by nine in that short span. They played a five-minute stretch together in Wednesday’s first half. The Clippers outscored the Kings by one in the stretch.

Even that is a major gamble if Beverly gets in foul trouble or needs to miss games. Why even bother trying to run away from a combo of players when the team already has limited depth at the position?
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#65 » by donemilio21 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:44 pm

what would Kennard salary count at in a trade before the deadline? I know he makes $5M this year, but is it a higher value because of the extension?
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Post#66 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:41 pm

donemilio21 wrote:what would Kennard salary count at in a trade before the deadline? I know he makes $5M this year, but is it a higher value because of the extension?

I believe it counts as 5 million of this year plus the total amount of 4 years extension money / remaining contract length(5 years in this case)
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#67 » by TheNewEra » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:53 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:what would Kennard salary count at in a trade before the deadline? I know he makes $5M this year, but is it a higher value because of the extension?

I believe it counts as 5 million of this year plus the total amount of 4 years extension money / remaining contract length(5 years in this case)

Don’t see anyway you can get the right value for Kennard with the way his contract is right now.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#68 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:41 am

I still think he’ll come around. He passing up some open shots that everyone wants him to take because he is shooting great this year. The opposite problem would be far worse.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#69 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:36 am

madmaxmedia wrote:I still think he’ll come around. He passing up some open shots that everyone wants him to take because he is shooting great this year. The opposite problem would be far worse.

Maybe not. Name a great shooter who's afraid to shoot. It's part of the makeup. No conscience, even if you miss 10 in a row. Jamal, Lou and Trezz are all respected by their peers because they don't give a $%^*. Look at Shamet. He's lost his mojo too. This thing is hard: Say what you want about Trezz's crap defense and lazy rebounding but he has ONE JOB and he does it. 19 points on 8-9 shooting tonight for the Lakers.

Same with Redick. Huge holes in his game but he came in firing and that's how he'll go out.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/redicjj01.html

Seriously, now that you put your finger on it, it's the lack of balls that's bothering me about Kennard. You can't teach balls and you can't practice balls. It's why the Rams just traded Goff. And if Kennard can't do it now in front of empty arenas, what's gonna happen in the Finals with the whole world watching?

[Come to think of it, that's why the Clippers are investing PT in Terance Mann despite questionable stats. Kid's got balls.]

“I won’t talk about Terance tonight because he just walked in the room, so I don’t want to say good things about him. He’s been good for us. He’s been great. He’s gonna be a great player. Stepped up the last two games, was huge. Had one game in Sacramento, one rebound away from a (double-double)*. So he’s got game like that, where he doesn’t play for one or two games and then he comes in and play minutes like he did the last two games. So he’s gonna be OK.”--Nic Batum

ADD:

*A week later, Mann just missed a double-double again with 9 rebs in the ATL loss. PLUS he had 3 steals vs SAC and 4 steals vs ATL. Kennard is never going to match that kind of all-around impact, so if he doesn't shoot like Redick, he's useless to us.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#70 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:49 am

Very fair take on Kennard. I hope you’re wrong 8-) :lol:

It’s weird that he’s passing up shots but shooting great when he does. Sometime a new guy gets off to a cold start on the new team, then starts getting tight and shying away from opportunities. I guess my thinking is it should be easier for him to take more shots since he’s at least shooting well. But that doesn’t necessarily fix the problem of him needing to be more assertive.

As far as Goff goes, I just don’t think he was ever a great QB. I’m mainly speaking to the cerebral aspects but what you say about balls could probably apply to him too.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#71 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:29 am

madmaxmedia wrote:Very fair take on Kennard. I hope you’re wrong 8-) :lol:

It’s weird that he’s passing up shots but shooting great when he does. Sometime a new guy gets off to a cold start on the new team, then starts getting tight and shying away from opportunities. I guess my thinking is it should be easier for him to take more shots since he’s at least shooting well. But that doesn’t necessarily fix the problem of him needing to be more assertive.

As far as Goff goes, I just don’t think he was ever a great QB. I’m mainly speaking to the cerebral aspects but what you say about balls could probably apply to him too.

Interesting that the Rams just traded him to Detroit for Stafford. Like Kennard they both looked good on paper on crap teams in Nowhere USA. We shall see.

As for Goff, I got my own problems with Wentz. Funny but both Goff and Wentz have lost their nerve and their poise. Holding the ball too long, getting sacked, intercepted, or fumbling. As NFL quarterbacks, it's way more obvious than Kennard, but same dynamic--He who hesitates is lost.

I often quote Al McGuire about athletes' intelligence--you can be TOO intelligent. You think too much about what can go wrong. You think too much---period.

Based on their interviews, Reggie Jackson seems to me the smartest Clipper. At age 30, has he finally learned to stop thinking out there and just PLAY? Maybe he called that bonehead timeout BECAUSE he was finally just in the moment!

At the moment, Reggie's playing championship basketball. The numbers are incredible--with almost zero turnovers. Can he shut down the static in his brain a little and just trust his instincts now?
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#72 » by NickP » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:27 pm

I'll take Kennard any day over GARBAGE Trez and one trick pony Shamet. Yeah he's passing shots but he's also deferring. This is typical of a new player.
But he is shooting a very effective percentage and he will get into his own come playoffs. If he makes those timely open shots or creates for his teammates and if it helps us win it all then his 64M is worth every penny.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#73 » by playaloc916 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:01 pm

NickP wrote:I'll take Kennard any day over GARBAGE Trez and one trick pony Shamet. Yeah he's passing shots but he's also deferring. This is typical of a new player.
But he is shooting a very effective percentage and he will get into his own come playoffs. If he makes those timely open shots or creates for his teammates and if it helps us win it all then his 64M is worth every penny.

Yes, with Shamet, not only was he passing up open shots all the time, when he did shoot, he usually missed... At least with Kennard, he's hitting the shots he's taking. So he just needs to be more selfish and start "chucking" like that one game where he hit that 3 from nearly half court. Hopefully he'll adjust his game sooner than later.
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#74 » by reamily » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:22 pm

If we pay this kind of contract,yeah Tobias Harris deserves a 9 digit payday
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#75 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:46 pm

playaloc916 wrote:
NickP wrote:I'll take Kennard any day over GARBAGE Trez and one trick pony Shamet. Yeah he's passing shots but he's also deferring. This is typical of a new player.

Yes, with Shamet, not only was he passing up open shots all the time, when he did shoot, he usually missed... At least with Kennard, he's hitting the shots he's taking. So he just needs to be more selfish and start "chucking" like that one game where he hit that 3 from nearly half court. Hopefully he'll adjust his game sooner than later.

I think if you evaluate the trade, it was a good trade even if you assume Shamet's just temporarily cold right now and will start improving his 3PT%. This year Kennard is a clear upgrade IMO and will improve our chances in the playoffs.

Evaluating his contract extension is a different matter and the bar is higher there for sure. I'm still hopeful as the tools are definitely there on offense, he just needs to be more assertive.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#76 » by NickP » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:58 pm

reamily wrote:If we pay this kind of contract,yeah Tobias Harris deserves a 9 digit payday

Tobias did get a Max deal. Did we overpay Luke? Yeah we probably did. I think we overpaid Morris too but this is the new NBA where guys that have no business getting Max deals are all getting Max deals. If Morris and Luke can give us valuable minutes and we win the chip then this will be a moot point.
I have actually seen Luke play as a Piston and he is a definite upgrade over Shamet.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#77 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 2, 2021 8:33 pm

playaloc916 wrote:

ICYMI:

Clippings: The Clippers want Luke Kennard to shoot the ball

That’s the dream, isn’t it?

By Sabreena Merchant@sabreenajm Feb 1, 2021, 7:17am PST

During the Clippers’ win over the Knicks Sunday, there was a key sequence in the third quarter when Reggie Jackson hit two 3-pointers late in the shot clock to stretch LA’s lead from two to eight. What was interesting about both of Jackson’s threes was that the passes were essentially grenades: Jackson received the ball with so little time left on the shot clock that he had to shoot, or else he’d probably commit a violation.

It comes as little surprise to learn that the assist man on both those jumpers was Luke Kennard, the man the Clippers players and coaching staff have to keep reminding to shoot. Andrew Greif of the Los Angeles Times noted that trend in his preview for the New York game, and the first-year Clipper’s aversion to shooting once again presented itself in that contest.

While those possessions resulted in positive outcomes for the Clippers — though Kennard truly put Jackson in a bind on the first shot — that isn’t the case every time Kennard elects to pass instead of shoot.

During his first shift in Sunday’s game, Kennard was coming around a screen from Ivica Zubac and instead of using the space afforded by that pick to take a pull-up jumper or make a move into the lane, he backed up and threw a pass to Kawhi Leonard on the perimeter. Kennard’s fellow Blue Devil R.J. Barrett intercepted the attempt and took the ball the length of the floor for a dunk.

That turnover was the only stat that Kennard recorded during the entire quarter. No shot attempts, no assists, not even a personal foul. He was so passive that head coach Ty Lue didn’t go back to Kennard in the second quarter as he traditionally does, instead waiting until after halftime to give Kennard his next shift.
    During postgame media, Lue made it clear that he wasn’t pull Kennard because of the turnover, but the decision-making process.

“No, it wasn’t a turnover, I don’t coach like that,” Lue said. “My thing is, he turned down the first shot. I thought he was open, he turned it down, which led to the turnover. I want him to be aggressive taking his shots, you know, looking for his shots because he’s a great shooter. And coming out in the third quarter, you know, he played better. So we just need him to be aggressive, be who he is: making plays, attacking the basket, but for sure taking his open shots. He’s been passing up a lot, so we just gotta make sure we stay on him about taking his shots.”

https://www.clipsnation.com/2021/2/1/22259856/la-clippers-news-luke-kennard-shooting-passing-usage
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#78 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Feb 3, 2021 4:05 am

why did Lue hardly play Kennard tonight? Did he get injured?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#79 » by Clemenza » Wed Feb 3, 2021 4:12 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:why did Lue hardly play Kennard tonight? Did he get injured?

He didn't think Luke was ready to play. He missed two threes out the gate and I guess Lue saw something in his eyes that this particular game might be to big for him right now. I actually wanted to see him play in this one.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#80 » by esqtvd » Wed Feb 3, 2021 4:18 am

was all over this one :-?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers