ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM

Moderators: QRich3, og15, TrueLAfan

NickP
Junior
Posts: 322
And1: 156
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#141 » by NickP » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:42 pm

I think it's the margin of points making us question this team's heart. Had it been a 12 point loss we'd have reacted differently.
Lue did the right thing by not playing PG in the second half. Giving him time to think what just happened. This was a lesson for the team that teams are waiting to jump on you and that you have to be prepared. Especially the team that lost to you in the playoffs.
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 10,777
And1: 14,102
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#142 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:45 pm

James2000 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:And the worst part is, that garbage, sluggish, disinterested look from preseason that we were supposed to overlook and get over (especially after the first 2 games) is back.

What I will never understand is how a franchise who has won nothing EVER besides 2 Pacific Division Banners can treat any game as if it isn’t important.


You got to understand that not everyone is going to be geared towards playing up to their potential. Shoot, look at towards the teams throughout history, every team one time and another doesn't play through the competition. Just allow this team to grow

This team should be geared towards playing up to their potential every game to make up for the way last season ended. The fact that they aren't, even after all the talk of a "revenge season," is a pretty strong indication that they're the same old team destined for the same old results.
Image
James2000
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 24
Joined: Sep 18, 2020

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#143 » by James2000 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:10 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Actually, championship teams manage to lose a game or two pretty big every year. The Lakers got walloped by the Celts last year. I get it that it’s a “historic!” 50 point loss. But what we’re doing here is letting it be a “typical” loss (it isn’t) and thinking it might be symptomatic (it almost certainly isn’t, any more than a 30-40 point loss is). It’s embarrassing. I think our team and coaches are professionals. I think they’re embarrassed. But, in the words of Dave DeBusschere to Bill Bradley after a tough loss, "You can't go through a season like this. There are too many games, Sure, you blew it tonight, but when it's over, it's over. Let it go. Otherwise you won't be ready to play tomorrow night.'' (Bill Bradley called that his “NBA Lesson #1”; Don't make today's loss the enemy of tomorrow's victory.)

It was a terrible game. And it was yesterday.

btw--a side, slightly personal note--I'm getting over Covid, so I wasn't on the game board yesterday. I'm staying up with things as much as I can. But the next time somebody comes onto a thread and posts "Kiss the Rings" multiple times, file a report about baiting--which is what that is--and that will be taken care of.


Hey man, I want to say that I am sorry for you having gotten the virus. I hope that you come back from this.
nickhx2
Head Coach
Posts: 7,460
And1: 3,618
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#144 » by nickhx2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:21 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Actually, championship teams manage to lose a game or two pretty big every year. The Lakers got walloped by the Celts last year. I get it that it’s a “historic!” 50 point loss. But what we’re doing here is letting it be a “typical” loss (it isn’t) and thinking it might be symptomatic (it almost certainly isn’t, any more than a 30-40 point loss is). It’s embarrassing. I think our team and coaches are professionals. I think they’re embarrassed. But, in the words of Dave DeBusschere to Bill Bradley after a tough loss, "You can't go through a season like this. There are too many games, Sure, you blew it tonight, but when it's over, it's over. Let it go. Otherwise you won't be ready to play tomorrow night.'' (Bill Bradley called that his “NBA Lesson #1”; Don't make today's loss the enemy of tomorrow's victory.)

It was a terrible game. And it was yesterday.

btw--a side, slightly personal note--I'm getting over Covid, so I wasn't on the game board yesterday. I'm staying up with things as much as I can. But the next time somebody comes onto a thread and posts "Kiss the Rings" multiple times, file a report about baiting--which is what that is--and that will be taken care of.


sorry to hear about that, true. i hope you are recovering well.
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 8,371
And1: 3,781
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#145 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:51 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Actually, championship teams manage to lose a game or two pretty big every year. The Lakers got walloped by the Celts last year. I get it that it’s a “historic!” 50 point loss. But what we’re doing here is letting it be a “typical” loss (it isn’t) and thinking it might be symptomatic (it almost certainly isn’t, any more than a 30-40 point loss is). It’s embarrassing. I think our team and coaches are professionals. I think they’re embarrassed. But, in the words of Dave DeBusschere to Bill Bradley after a tough loss, "You can't go through a season like this. There are too many games, Sure, you blew it tonight, but when it's over, it's over. Let it go. Otherwise you won't be ready to play tomorrow night.'' (Bill Bradley called that his “NBA Lesson #1”; Don't make today's loss the enemy of tomorrow's victory.)

It was a terrible game. And it was yesterday.

btw--a side, slightly personal note--I'm getting over Covid, so I wasn't on the game board yesterday. I'm staying up with things as much as I can. But the next time somebody comes onto a thread and posts "Kiss the Rings" multiple times, file a report about baiting--which is what that is--and that will be taken care of.


Sorry to hear, and hope you get well soon!!

About the game, none of us were anointing us the champions after beating the Lakers, or claiming we have completely exorcised our demons after beating the Nuggets. So I think it's way premature to say the sky is falling after losing big here. In each case it was only one game, it's going to be the sum total of the season (through all the ups and downs) that tells us where the team is and how we look heading into the playoffs.
User avatar
esqtvd
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,582
And1: 1,329
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#146 » by esqtvd » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:11 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Dunno of a team that has won a championship after losing a regular season game by 50.

It is time to “panic”.
It is time to wonder wth is wrong with this team.

Don't take it there yet. This is no ordinary season, neither was last season. Horrible nightmare game from us yes.. but I see a lot of funky weird sh*t on the horizon in the league this year. This win doesn't even ensure that Dallas makes the playoffs. Portland looks off, still not even sure about Phoenix even with the addition of CP3, Lakers lost their intimidating front line, GS is really bad, Houston has problems, Minnesota and Sac are starting to figure it out, etc. We got 4 games in five days. Don't put this type evil on the team. Lets see what happens first.

Putting this kind if evil on the team.

Finding new ways to embarrass their already long suffering fan base. It’s not cool. Not only is it not cool, it’s not something I can say I’ve seen championship teams go through.

This is supposed to be, quite literally, the best part of our franchise’s history (signing Kawhi n hopefully getting to a chip with him) and we just suffered the worst loss in franchise history.

No excuses from me. No explanations. **** is trash. Sorry bro.




Yeah, and as a 36-year Clipper fan, that's only about 10% of how humiliated and pissed off I felt after Game 7 and all through the preseason. The second-most famous shot in Clipper history is PG's brick off the side of the backboard.

But I decided not to carry that over once the regular season started and keep douchebagging my own team--in particular PG, who was re-signed and is putatively here long-term. But I still have them on Double Secret Probation in my heart. All I ask is that my teams play with heart and that was conspicuously missing in the preseason, as well as on Sunday.

On the positive side, I forced myself to watch the postgame show and PG went out and faced the press for the team and said he took responsibility and "ownership." He celebrated Christmas on Saturday and admitted he didn't come to play [and neither did the team, clearly]---the same kind of weak crap Trez raged about last January 4 after a lazy, shameful 140-114 blowout loss to Memphis. [Meanwhile, the Lakers are already playing like champions.]


No, it's not time to panic, but so far there is zero cause to think the coaching and roster changes did anything to clear the slate either. Most of the same people are still here, and this team remains on Double Secret Probation.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 14,661
And1: 4,205
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#147 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:38 pm

The slate needed to be cleared, regardless.

If the Clippers cleared the slate incorrectly or attempted to and failed, that's a whole different conversation.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
NickP
Junior
Posts: 322
And1: 156
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#148 » by NickP » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:41 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Don't take it there yet. This is no ordinary season, neither was last season. Horrible nightmare game from us yes.. but I see a lot of funky weird sh*t on the horizon in the league this year. This win doesn't even ensure that Dallas makes the playoffs. Portland looks off, still not even sure about Phoenix even with the addition of CP3, Lakers lost their intimidating front line, GS is really bad, Houston has problems, Minnesota and Sac are starting to figure it out, etc. We got 4 games in five days. Don't put this type evil on the team. Lets see what happens first.

Putting this kind if evil on the team.

Finding new ways to embarrass their already long suffering fan base. It’s not cool. Not only is it not cool, it’s not something I can say I’ve seen championship teams go through.

This is supposed to be, quite literally, the best part of our franchise’s history (signing Kawhi n hopefully getting to a chip with him) and we just suffered the worst loss in franchise history.

No excuses from me. No explanations. **** is trash. Sorry bro.




Yeah, and as a 36-year Clipper fan, that's only about 10% of how humiliated and pissed off I felt after Game 7 and all through the preseason. The second-most famous shot in Clipper history is PG's brick off the side of the backboard.

But I decided not to carry that over once the regular season started and keep douchebagging my own team--in particular PG, who was re-signed and is putatively here long-term. But I still have them on Double Secret Probation in my heart. All I ask is that my teams play with heart and that was conspicuously missing in the preseason, as well as on Sunday.

On the positive side, I forced myself to watch the postgame show and PG went out and faced the press for the team and said he took responsibility and "ownership." He celebrated Christmas on Saturday and admitted he didn't come to play [and neither did the team, clearly]---the same kind of weak crap Trez raged about last January 4 after a lazy, shameful 140-114 blowout loss to Memphis. [Meanwhile, the Lakers are already playing like champions.]


No, it's not time to panic, but so far there is zero cause to think the coaching and roster changes did anything to clear the slate either. Most of the same people are still here, and this team remains on Double Secret Probation.

LMFAO!

Baiting other posters is against forum rules
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 10,777
And1: 14,102
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#149 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:54 pm

esqtvd wrote:But I decided not to carry that over once the regular season started and keep douchebagging my own team

Image
Image
User avatar
esqtvd
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,582
And1: 1,329
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#150 » by esqtvd » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:13 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:The slate needed to be cleared, regardless.

If the Clippers cleared the slate incorrectly or attempted to and failed, that's a whole different conversation.


Yes, I'm on record as agreeing with the coaching change. Whether he lost the team or he never had it in the first place doesn't matter. He could not lead this bunch to the title.


And yes, the rest is a different discussion. I'm not going to kick them when they're down but every word I said in the offseason still holds, and everything Trez said last January 4 still holds. It is worth a click as a reminder.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2020/01/04/clippers-montrezl-harrell-frustration-grizzlies-loss-were-not-great-team/2817132001/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 14,661
And1: 4,205
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#151 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:38 am

Looks like kicking em while they’re down to me.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
User avatar
esqtvd
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,582
And1: 1,329
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#152 » by esqtvd » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:48 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Looks like kicking em while they’re down to me.


Well, you really savaged them for a regular-season game for what I said about a Game 7. I am agreeing with you and if I really wanted to kick them, I'd have printed out the whole article and not just linked it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2020/01/04/clippers-montrezl-harrell-frustration-grizzlies-loss-were-not-great-team/2817132001/

And PG's media appearance after the game--that I praised--was not well-received either.


I am hoping for the best but what needs to happen is all in the first link from last January. The question is not what should be done, it's whether it can be done at all with the individuals here assembled. Mr. Ballmer was NOT pleased Sunday, to say the least. :o
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 10,777
And1: 14,102
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#153 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:13 am

esqtvd wrote:I am hoping for the best

You were sulking and lashing out at other posters in the game thread on Christmas because the Clippers were winning. Actions speak louder than words.
Image
Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
Posts: 8,431
And1: 2,224
Joined: May 01, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#154 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:00 am

I am looking at the first half of the season schedule and noticed something a little odd- the Clippers aren't scheduled to play any Saturday games, but will play every Sunday.

Fortunately the few matinee Sunday games they have are against some subpar teams- Chicago, OKC, Knicks, and Sac. However, they likely would have lost to a G League team yesterday.

They play MIL on 2/28 at 12:30- expect a 100 point loss in that game :lol:
NickP
Junior
Posts: 322
And1: 156
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#155 » by NickP » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:47 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I am looking at the first half of the season schedule and noticed something a little odd- the Clippers aren't scheduled to play any Saturday games, but will play every Sunday.

Fortunately the few matinee Sunday games they have are against some subpar teams- Chicago, OKC, Knicks, and Sac. However, they likely would have lost to a G League team yesterday.

They play MIL on 2/28 at 12:30- expect a 100 point loss in that game :lol:

That's exaggerating. 85 point loss is more realistic :)
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 8,371
And1: 3,781
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#156 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:27 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I am looking at the first half of the season schedule and noticed something a little odd- the Clippers aren't scheduled to play any Saturday games, but will play every Sunday.

Fortunately the few matinee Sunday games they have are against some subpar teams- Chicago, OKC, Knicks, and Sac. However, they likely would have lost to a G League team yesterday.

They play MIL on 2/28 at 12:30- expect a 100 point loss in that game :lol:


We might have lost to the Washington Generals the other night. :lol:
Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
Posts: 8,431
And1: 2,224
Joined: May 01, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#157 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:32 pm

NickP wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:I am looking at the first half of the season schedule and noticed something a little odd- the Clippers aren't scheduled to play any Saturday games, but will play every Sunday.

Fortunately the few matinee Sunday games they have are against some subpar teams- Chicago, OKC, Knicks, and Sac. However, they likely would have lost to a G League team yesterday.

They play MIL on 2/28 at 12:30- expect a 100 point loss in that game :lol:

That's exaggerating. 85 point loss is more realistic :)

I was once on a rec team that lost by something like 60 points in a 32 minute game. They scored over 100 points on us. We were playing a team that had 3-4 former division I ncaa players. They made a huge number of 3 pointers on us. We were at their mercy. It’s amazing how good even college level players are- these guys weren’t all Americans either- relatively low level players actually (I recall one having played at the university of Toledo).
nickhx2
Head Coach
Posts: 7,460
And1: 3,618
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: Game 3 : Dallas Mavericks (0-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) - 3:30 PM 

Post#158 » by nickhx2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:03 pm

my favorite stories are the ones where a pro player randomly plays a pickup game and absolutely dominates.

i remember someone on GB saying they played with paul pierce once and he killed everyone, while making it a point to only walk (and never even so much as jog) the entire game hahaha

Return to Los Angeles Clippers