Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,082

Re: Oturu 

Post#61 » by og15 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:58 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

Oturu definitely has to play bigger and be more active. All of this is a bit of reaching to one game in a blowout. Both bigs are in two different circumstances.

I just meant physically imposing. Fi is far more athletic--which is why I think the Clips traded up for him. But he's already 23 1/2 and wasn't even a starter in college. He just has too much catching up to do.

Daniel only turned 22 in September and was the anchor of his Minnesota Gophers team. With zero G-League experience--let alone NBA experience like Fi has--he already looks like he belongs.

IOW: Daniel's ceiling may be low, but Fi's floor is the basement. You're trying to win a championship here, not run a prep school.

Plenty of championship teams have developed young players in the hopes of them becoming key cogs later. It’s how the Spurs maintained for so long with random role players. The roster itself is no where near set after the 8th man on the team that we shouldn’t hope for growth.

Fi was a key rotation player and star on the team his last year in college. You think Florida State gets to where it was and bouncing Zion without him?

Oturu will need time so I hope they will be patient to see what he can do. You can rely on vet min older players for so much before you need more internal growth.

I Wish him the best of luck for whatever is next

The good thing is that players can develop without getting significant or even any minutes in games. Working out with NBA teammates, practicing, garbage time, G-Lesgue, this stuff develops players. Yes, at some point, they will need NBA regular season minutes, but they aren’t not developing or being stunted if they don’t get that in their first year.

The Spurs if we look will have a lot of rookies that play 15, 30 games and 7, 8, 9 mpg in those games in their first year, so basically garbage time, but they develop. So yea, I wouldn’t be too worried. If the player has the skills, they will develop from just being on the team, and maybe show themselves worthy of minutes later.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Re: Oturu 

Post#62 » by esqtvd » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:25 pm

og15 wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I just meant physically imposing. Fi is far more athletic--which is why I think the Clips traded up for him. But he's already 23 1/2 and wasn't even a starter in college. He just has too much catching up to do.

Daniel only turned 22 in September and was the anchor of his Minnesota Gophers team. With zero G-League experience--let alone NBA experience like Fi has--he already looks like he belongs.

IOW: Daniel's ceiling may be low, but Fi's floor is the basement. You're trying to win a championship here, not run a prep school.

Plenty of championship teams have developed young players in the hopes of them becoming key cogs later. It’s how the Spurs maintained for so long with random role players. The roster itself is no where near set after the 8th man on the team that we shouldn’t hope for growth.

Fi was a key rotation player and star on the team his last year in college. You think Florida State gets to where it was and bouncing Zion without him?

Oturu will need time so I hope they will be patient to see what he can do. You can rely on vet min older players for so much before you need more internal growth.

I Wish him the best of luck for whatever is next

The good thing is that players can develop without getting significant or even any minutes in games. Working out with NBA teammates, practicing, garbage time, G-Lesgue, this stuff develops players. Yes, at some point, they will need NBA regular season minutes, but they aren’t not developing or being stunted if they don’t get that in their first year.

The Spurs if we look will have a lot of rookies that play 15, 30 games and 7, 8, 9 mpg in those games in their first year, so basically garbage time, but they develop. So yea, I wouldn’t be too worried. If the player has the skills, they will develop from just being on the team, and maybe show themselves worthy of minutes later.

Thing is you have to get the fundamentals down. Fi's ceiling is much higher than Sindarius's [who's out of the league] but you could put Thornwell out there because he won't kill you with turnovers and missing defensive assignments. Right now that's all we're asking of T-Mann and why Oturu might already have passed Fi on the PT totem pole.

I was always amazed at how any NBA minutes Jeremi Grant got before he was even good. Lucky fellow.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers