ImageImageImageImageImage

GAME 32: Nets (19-12) @ Clips (22-9) 5PM PST Sunday on ESPN—NOTE TIME

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,197

Re: GAME 32: Nets (19-12) @ Clips (22-9) 5PM PST Sunday on ESPN—NOTE TIME 

Post#121 » by Max Headrom » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:12 am

KL2 wrote:Leonard took one question and left. That man mad about the end.

Keep poking the bear.

Read on Twitter

I love it. Never heard him talk like that before honestly. It's gonna be personal if they meet in the finals
Casey_Jones
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#122 » by Casey_Jones » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:22 am

That call was brutal. Kawhi got zero respect from refs as a raptor too
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,403

Post#123 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:23 am

Harden has been and always will be a disgrace to basketball. The sport is worse for having him in it. Stuff like this makes me question why I waste so much time watching this flawed product
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#124 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:24 am

Casey_Jones wrote:That call was brutal. Kawhi got zero respect from refs as a raptor too

perhaps he should stop being so stoic and really rip into the refs from time to time. However, that would probably take him out of his zen-like concentration mode.
Casey_Jones
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#125 » by Casey_Jones » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:28 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Casey_Jones wrote:That call was brutal. Kawhi got zero respect from refs as a raptor too

perhaps he should stop being so stoic and really rip into the refs from time to time. However, that would probably take him out of his zen-like concentration mode.

At most he yelled at a ref once. I agree he needs to work the refs more. But hes like a robot lol
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,698

Post#126 » by KL2 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:57 am

Maybe Leonard should speak up more about it. But history shows he puts his head down, attacks, and makes the refs call it.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#127 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:04 am

It really is astounding how career losers like Harden get more respect from refs than actual superstars like Kawhi and LeBron.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#128 » by esqtvd » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:05 am

Clemenza wrote:You gotta let PG finish the game though. He was cooking in the 4th. Let him sit out the next game against Washington if you have to

I thought he might have taken himself out because after Friday's game he said he was hurting the team because his stamina wasn't back yet. So it could have been a bit of both--if Ty felt he was looking strong, he might have left him in. They were probably aiming at 28-30 minutes and he ended playing 33 as it was.

I see Lou is the Designated Scapegoat as usual. :lol: When we lose it's always somebody's FAULT. He shot poorly but he still finished at plus+3, which is why Ty left him in along with Senior [+5], who also shot poorly but they helped lead the comeback. The most effective combo was Lou-Senior-Zu-KL-PG.

There are much better candidates if you're playing the scapegoat game, of course. Mann was minus-12 when no other Clipper was worse than minus-4. Starters Batum and Ibaka combined for only 11 points and even Pat Bev, who finished at +0, fouled out with 5 points and 4 turnovers. Depends on your narrative.

My takeaway is that everybody was rushing, and that concerns me only because you don't expect that from such a veteran team. And props to the Nets--the ball movement was amazing, whizzing past befuddled Clippers through the paint for way too many easy buckets. We were rushing on offense and too slow mentally on the other end.

The Nets scored 60 of their 112 points in the paint; the Clippers only 38. Singling out any one player is to miss the forest just to piss on one tree.

Props to Zubac, who took his demotion hard but was the only Clipper besides KL and PG to score in double figures. Even though he finished at inus-4, his minutes with Senior and Lou were why they finished in the plus. Despite the loss, the Senior-Lou-Zu bench nexus had a good game.

ADD: Nash used basically a 6-man playoff-style rotation plus Shamet getting 18 minutes. Harden and Kyrie each played over 40 minutes; 4 others played 32 or more. It took everything they had. Ty played this a bit looser.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267632
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#129 » by esqtvd » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:13 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Harden has been and always will be a disgrace to basketball. The sport is worse for having him in it. Stuff like this makes me question why I waste so much time watching this flawed product

I so much want to hate Harden but he hits the shots and deals the dimes. And gets rebs. These things have nothing to do with the refs. The man produces.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#130 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:39 am

esqtvd wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Harden has been and always will be a disgrace to basketball. The sport is worse for having him in it. Stuff like this makes me question why I waste so much time watching this flawed product

I so much want to hate Harden but he hits the shots and deals the dimes. And gets rebs. These things have nothing to do with the refs. The man produces.

It's a lot easier to hit those shots, deal those dimes and get those rebs when opponents are afraid to even breathe near you because you'll flop and get the call. Harden is 100% a product of officiating and it's why he gets exposed in the playoffs every year when the whistles aren't being blown as much.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#131 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:41 am

esqtvd wrote:

he has abilities for sure, but so much of his game is predicated on tricking the refs. It is very hard to respect a player who is constantly flopping/flailing or pulling weird shenanigans like arm hooking. It also made me feel a bit sick when CP3 pulled that garbage, but Harden is in a different league with this nonsense. Sadly, guys like Young are following in his footsteps.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#132 » by esqtvd » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:04 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

he has abilities for sure, but so much of his game is predicated on tricking the refs. It is very hard to respect a player who is constantly flopping/flailing or pulling weird shenanigans like arm hooking. It also made me feel a bit sick when CP3 pulled that garbage, but Harden is in a different league with this nonsense. Sadly, guys like Young are following in his footsteps.

I'm not denying any of this. It makes me sick that in today's NBA, people are afraid to get up in his face because he's gonna get the call. But he does hit the shots and DOES make the assists and he gets his rebounds fair and square too. That's why they're getting up in his face in the first place instead of slacking off on him.

Dude I WANT to be hating on Beard. But there were some shots and some passes today that were just off the hook. Heavily guarded and he still threaded the ball though tiny windows that nobody else can see.

That's why the blame game is stupid. Basketball in 2021 is not about avoiding mistakes, it's about making plays. The Nets made more plays today. We didn't lose, they won. They made the plays and like 5 of our players didn't. It was a really great game. I enjoyed it.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#133 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:15 am

I also despise the step back- they have essentially legalized traveling. For example, Irving’s step back miss that DJ tipped in would have been a travel 20 years ago.

I’m not certain the nets really did make more plays than the clippers. If not for the ridiculous offensive foul against kawhi, it would have been a tie game. Force them to actually make a last 2nd shot than gift them the game. Total shame- unforgivable from the refs and Harden for baiting them- just a complete disgrace
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,197

Post#134 » by Max Headrom » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:40 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I also despise the step back- they have essentially legalized traveling. For example, Irving’s step back miss that DJ tipped in would have been a travel 20 years ago.

I’m not certain the nets really did make more plays than the clippers. If not for the ridiculous offensive foul against kawhi, it would have been a tie game. Force them to actually make a last 2nd shot than gift them the game. Total shame- unforgivable from the refs and Harden for baiting them- just a complete disgrace

Let's also not forgot about the 3 free throws PG should've had. The NBA is hell bent on making the Nets the new Warriors from a couple of years back. Allowing illegal screens, letting them hack all game with barely any calls.

For a defender as bad as Kyrie is, he's allowed to reach like he's the Glove or something. This is professionally wrestling at this point
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#135 » by TheNewEra » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:29 pm

James2000 wrote:I think that we need to make a trade or something because of the fact that our bench is really bad right now. Why aren't we playing our rookie big man's right now. We got the guy from the university of Minnesota and doesn't seems like we are playing him. We need to use him

I doubt Oturu could help the current situation when Zu and Ibaka is a struggle to get the minutes right between them. Batum in a slump and if Morris isn’t hitting it does make the PF spot more difficult. Mann is good hustle but just not there talent wise against top teams. Kennard out of the rotation with Lou being 50/50 against top competition and Reggie doesn’t seem all that playable
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#136 » by clipperlover » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:43 pm

Hard to complain about not getting the last call when Kawhi had just earned FTs on DeAndre before that on a play with much less contact. Fact of the matter is when the opponent gets 10 steals and has a 15 pt lead in the 4th qtr, it makes it tough to win.

Glad they could come back and take the lead, but this team has serious kinks to work out and shouldn't be worried about the refs. We are no where near where we need to be defensively. We are 6-5 and giving up 113 PPG in Feb with Utah on Friday being our only win vs a winning team.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 915

Post#137 » by NickP » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:55 pm

We should always play like we're not going to calls. Period. Any Clipper not named PG or Kawhi and Bev was MIA. Batum, Morris and Ibaka have to step up. I'm hoping come playoffs we'll be up to that task. If not we'll be crying about close games and calls not going our way.
KL2
Analyst

Post#138 » by KL2 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:15 pm

I don’t get the argument they should have taken care of business before so it didn’t come down to a close game. Of course they could have cleaned up the turnovers, gotten some help from 1-2 other guys, and made it easier. Despite all that, they fought back from 15 down and stuck together.

And the refs decided the game without conferring, giving Leonard an explanation, etc... That just can’t happen.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#139 » by clipperlover » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:15 pm

KL2 wrote:I don’t get the argument they should have taken care of business before so it didn’t come down to a close game. Of course they could have cleaned up the turnovers, gotten some help from 1-2 other guys, and made it easier. Despite all that, they fought back from 15 down and stuck together.

And the refs decided the game without conferring, giving Leonard an explanation, etc... That just can’t happen.

Did the refs tell PB to slam into Jeff Green with under 3 minutes remaining and us having the chance to cut the lead to 4? Did the refs give up the Irving bucket immediately after that foul? Did the refs tell Morris to let DeAndre tip in the go ahead bucket?

How often does a team overcome an 8 pt deficit with just over 2 minutes remaining?

It is easy to scapegoat the refs as the reason. It is harder to accept responsibility for getting yourself in the situation.
KL2
Analyst

Post#140 » by KL2 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:30 pm

Where did I ever say the Clippers didn’t need to accept some of the responsibility? Half my posts in this thread talk about stuff the Clippers failed to do.

Maybe they should have given up and waved the white flag as soon as they were down 15. Cause hey they made mistakes and should have folded instead of fighting back to overcome them.

My issue is a ref deciding a game. That shouldn’t be allowed regardless of what teams did or didn’t do before it.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers