ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 38 : Los Angeles Clippers (24-13) @ Washington Wizards (13-20) - 7:00PM

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,192

Re: Game 38 : Los Angeles Clippers (24-13) @ Washington Wizards (13-20) - 7:00PM 

Post#101 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:22 am

poultryfan wrote:I know it's not happening but missing the playoffs would be beyond comical. I don't think I'd have the heart to watch another Clippers game again.

IDK, missing the playoffs might at least be a wake-up call for a franchise that's gotten very arrogant and complacent in recent years. Maybe they'd finally fire all the holdovers from the Doc era.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Re: Game 38 : Los Angeles Clippers (24-13) @ Washington Wizards (13-20) - 7:00PM 

Post#102 » by Clemenza » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:23 am

poultryfan wrote:
og15 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:We're only, what, 2 games up on the 8th seed? Just making the playoffs at all might be an overachievement for this joke of a team.

8th seed is still 4 games back, but no one is afraid of missing the playoffs, but the goal isn’t simply to make the playoffs. If this team isn’t a top 2 or at minimum top 3 record, it would simply be a sign that they are not a contender.

I know it's not happening but missing the playoffs would be beyond comical. I don't think I'd have the heart to watch another Clippers game again.

It's tough to consider them true contenders right now, especially after tonight's game. Basically looks like a three-man race between Lakers, Nets, and Jazz with the Clippers dropping to the darkhorse/borderline contenders tier ie. Bucks, Suns, Nuggets, and Sixers. And at this point they're probably somewhere at the bottom of that list.

I think its a toss up as of right now who's the favorites. Lakers aren't going to do much if AD isn't right and ready to go. Harden doesn't have good playoff performances and Kyrie and Durant need to be healthy for the Nets. And definitely not sold on the Jazz. The second half will tell us a lot.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#103 » by TheNewEra » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:32 am

RingColluder wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
I mean Morris needs to start over Batum in the future. Sick of Batum's **** and his wide open missed 3's. He can help the team defensively great for the 2nd team but Morris is 3x the player he is on BOTH ends of the court.

Thats fine for Zu on the last rebound, but he had some absolutely horrid stretches on the court including his last few minutes before getting taken out in the 4th. Horrid. How not a single person mentioned that in this thread is remarkable to me.

We need a PG and a legitimate center. Zu will move to 3rd string in the Kennard role. I'd even try Fi at this point.

Horrid stretches when he was a +20 and I thought you loved that stat?

Um, what? When have I ever said I loved +/-?

:P

Oooo

Well on to the next one
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,190

Post#104 » by og15 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:34 am

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
Totally disagree. Do we really need to go over every single possession step by step in the 2nd half or is this just some biased argument stemming from last year? I don't want to get argumentative, but it might have to come to a point where I'm literally tracking possession by possession the issues in his game. He was constantly getting lost on switches and people were always driving to the basket. We saw on the last timeout Ty Lue and Lou Williams were upset at him for multiple possessions and could even hear Ty Lue yelling for Zu to get in position at one point.

Held his own on offense?!?! We barely see 1 or 2 successful post moves from him successfully. The one bright spot was some of the back and forth with him and Kennard. They will fit well together on the 3rd lineup when/if we get a big man.

I agree Ibaka was very invisible this game as well.

Question though: Do you believe Zu has played well this year? Do you thin the has regressed? I need to understand what level of support he has on this board since it appears Martin has given up on him. It's astonishing to me people actually believe he can provide worthwhile minutes this year.
Zubac hasn’t regressed, people are just not doing a good job separating a players performance from the lineups they play with. Zubac played almost all his minutes with the starting players last season, and this season he plays almost all his minutes with the bench. Playing with the starters where the best defenders were made him look better on defense, and playing with the best offensive players made any offensive deficiencies less important.

I 100% agree with this, but I'm not sure how you get to the conclusion one is the real Zu and the other is not. Anyone would look good playing with 2 All Stars PG and Kawhi. In my view he's getting totally exposed now on the 2nd team specifically his offensive game.

Who do you blame them on the 2nd team for the issues with the team if not Zu?
Did I get to the conclusion that one is real and one is not? Where? I’m saying that his actual level of player is in between those two, which means he’s an above average performer and many things support that, but he’s neither bad not is he some super defensive anchor.

The whole problem is trying to blame one person as if the whole units issues is simply about one person, it isn’t.

Getting exposed as what? Not a star? Who thought he was? Zubac is an above average rotation C performing like that.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,901

Post#105 » by esqtvd » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:39 am

TheNewEra wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:That last rebound had little to do with Zubac, he had his man pinned, and a guard came and tipped the ball from behind out of his eyesight. That’s on whomever was next to Westbrook and was supposed to put a body on him and decided not to do so.

Morris was out for this game....

I mean Morris needs to start over Batum in the future. Sick of Batum's **** and his wide open missed 3's. He can help the team defensively great for the 2nd team but Morris is 3x the player he is on BOTH ends of the court.

Thats fine for Zu on the last rebound, but he had some absolutely horrid stretches on the court including his last few minutes before getting taken out in the 4th. Horrid. How not a single person mentioned that in this thread is remarkable to me.

We need a PG and a legitimate center. Zu will move to 3rd string in the Kennard role. I'd even try Fi at this point.

That's me, lol. I welcome our new friend Mr. Colluder as a break from shi*iting all over Lou every time he misses a shot or turns the ball over and we get down by 8 and blaming Doc Rivers for everything else. :rofl2:

Zu is struggling this season but he is not why we lost. Mr. New Era is right--although its a noisy stat, when somebody's plus+20 when others are minus-20 maybe you should point the finger elsewhere.

Just like last game--somebody send a search party out for Ibaka [minus-22, 0 points] and Batum [minus-23, 9 points on 2-10 shooting]. Their legs look dead--they look walking dead--hopefully the All-Star break will help. But these are older players and 30 mpg is their upper limit and let's add Pat Bev too.

So we've got to get NBA playoff minutes elsewhere--which is why Ty gave the back of the rotation free rein tonight. I'm happy Kennard had 14 points and a plus+23 but frankly, this was a playground game and we lost to the best playground player in the NBA Russell Westbrook. This was sloppy crap basketball, the kind Kennard excelled at playing with the going-nowhere Pistons. Tonight tells us nothing about anything.

Except Serge and Batum need a rest. Bigtime.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
poultryfan
Senior
And1: 875

Post#106 » by poultryfan » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:45 am

og15 wrote:Davis has been out, but Lakers are 3-7 in their last 10 compared to 4-6 for the Clippers. Things aren’t going so great for them either.

Yeah even when healthy the Lakers are definitely not the same team they were last year (#19 in ORTG says it all). Right now I'd rank the Jazz and Nets over them.

Still I wouldn't drop them out of the contender tier just yet though assuming Davis is fully healthy by end of season. They're still the defending champs with the #1 defense in the league and we all know Lebron is a playoff legend who likes to coast during the regular season. Even at age 36 I'm not betting against him turning it up again.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#107 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:54 am

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:Zubac hasn’t regressed, people are just not doing a good job separating a players performance from the lineups they play with. Zubac played almost all his minutes with the starting players last season, and this season he plays almost all his minutes with the bench. Playing with the starters where the best defenders were made him look better on defense, and playing with the best offensive players made any offensive deficiencies less important.

I 100% agree with this, but I'm not sure how you get to the conclusion one is the real Zu and the other is not. Anyone would look good playing with 2 All Stars PG and Kawhi. In my view he's getting totally exposed now on the 2nd team specifically his offensive game.

Did I get to the conclusion that one is real and one is not? Where? I’m saying that his actual level of player is in between those two, which means he’s an above average performer and many things support that, but he’s neither bad not is he some super defensive anchor.

The whole problem is trying to blame one person as if the whole units issues is simply about one person, it isn’t.

Getting exposed as what? Not a star? Who thought he was? Zubac is an above average rotation C performing like that.

You would know better than me, but I coudl have sworn people on this board were talking about Zu's all star potential on the board last year.

And he is a below average performer who looked like an average player (with a decent ceiling) last year playing with stars. He has regressed. He is imo a 3rd string center on a supposed contending team not even close to a starter or even 2nd string caliber. Perhaps on a lottery team he can do very well as a backup but we saw even Robin Lopez take him to town multiple times tonight.

Are issues are strong rim protection and PG. Zu is 50% of that but I think he'll look much better playing w Batum on the 2dn team not Morris.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#108 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:55 am

esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

That's me, lol. I welcome our new friend Mr. Colluder as a break from shi*iting all over Lou every time he misses a shot or turns the ball over and we get down by 8 and blaming Doc Rivers for everything else. :rofl2:

Zu is struggling this season but he is not why we lost. Mr. New Era is right--although its a noisy stat, when somebody's plus+20 when others are minus-20 maybe you should point the finger elsewhere.

Just like last game--somebody send a search party out for Ibaka [minus-22, 0 points] and Batum [minus-23, 9 points on 2-10 shooting]. Their legs look dead--they look walking dead--hopefully the All-Star break will help. But these are older players and 30 mpg is their upper limit and let's add Pat Bev too.

So we've got to get NBA playoff minutes elsewhere--which is why Ty gave the back of the rotation free rein tonight. I'm happy Kennard had 14 points and a plus+23 but frankly, this was a playground game and we lost to the best playground player in the NBA Russell Westbrook. This was sloppy crap basketball, the kind Kennard excelled at playing with the going-nowhere Pistons. Tonight tells us nothing about anything.

Cheers!! I bring a new energy to the board, like Luke Kennard, only the inverse.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#109 » by NickP » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:12 am

It's silly to treat plus minus as gospel.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#110 » by esqtvd » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:53 am

plus/minus is a good backstop for people's "eye tests" which are frequently biased garbage

that's why even coaches use it, to make sure their feelings aren't interfering with the facts

when one guy's minus-20 and another guy is plus+20 maybe it's not just luck
it's chemistry
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#111 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:16 am

Something is definitely wrong with this team for sure, but it would be nice for them to get 10 consecutive games or so with a healthy in tact roster. Kind of reminds me of last season when they had to deal with constant injuries and then finally seemed to get into a good groove before the pandemic hit.

On a side note, the Clippers definitely deserved to lose tonight considering how poorly they played in the 4th quarter, but it would be nice if one of these close calls would fall in their favor in terms of the refs. It's like they can't catch a break- most of the time if you hit a guy across the face they call a flagrant regardless of intent.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#112 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:42 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Something is definitely wrong with this team for sure, but it would be nice for them to get 10 consecutive games or so with a healthy in tact roster. Kind of reminds me of last season when they had to deal with constant injuries and then finally seemed to get into a good groove before the pandemic hit.

On a side note, the Clippers definitely deserved to lose tonight considering how poorly they played in the 4th quarter, but it would be nice if one of these close calls would fall in their favor in terms of the refs. It's like they can't catch a break- most of the time if you hit a guy across the face they call a flagrant regardless of intent.

If our roster is better we're not making excuses about the refs. It shouldn't have even been a close game vs. this team and we still lost.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#113 » by esqtvd » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:55 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:On a side note, the Clippers definitely deserved to lose tonight considering how poorly they played in the 4th quarter, but it would be nice if one of these close calls would fall in their favor in terms of the refs. It's like they can't catch a break- most of the time if you hit a guy across the face they call a flagrant regardless of intent.

Doc works the refs bigtime. Ty is invisible. You don't know what you got 'til its gone. :wink:

2019-2020 Clippers #1 in FTAs, Sixers #22
2020-2021 Sixers #1 in FTAs, Clippers #28

you could look it up

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Something is definitely wrong with this team for sure, but it would be nice for them to get 10 consecutive games or so with a healthy in tact roster. Kind of reminds me of last season when they had to deal with constant injuries and then finally seemed to get into a good groove before the pandemic hit.

You could look that up too. Trezz was garbage in the bubble but won 6th Man of the Year for what he did before the pandemic hit. The team COLLAPSED [incl Kawhi and PG] when Trezz couldn't perform in the playoffs.
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 147

Gm 38: Clippers @ Wizards 

Post#114 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:59 pm

A very painful loss.... There were glimpses of great bench effort, Terance Mann is really gonna be a great player!!
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#115 » by TheNewEra » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:05 pm

esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

I’m sure you do :lol:

Wasn’t aware Zu was struggling this season seems like another step forward more than anything. I would of thought Lou and Reggie would of dominated in a playground setting
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#116 » by TheNewEra » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:08 pm

Being healthy seems like a luxury we shouldn’t hold out for anytime soon. We have old players and all with notable history of getting banged up
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#117 » by NickP » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:50 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:On a side note, the Clippers definitely deserved to lose tonight considering how poorly they played in the 4th quarter, but it would be nice if one of these close calls would fall in their favor in terms of the refs. It's like they can't catch a break- most of the time if you hit a guy across the face they call a flagrant regardless of intent.

Doc works the refs bigtime. Ty is invisible. You don't know what you got 'til its gone. :wink:

2019-2020 Clippers #1 in FTAs, Sixers #22
2020-2021 Sixers #1 in FTAs, Clippers #28

you could look it up

You could look that up too. Trezz was garbage in the bubble but won 6th Man of the Year for what he did before the pandemic hit. The team COLLAPSED [incl Kawhi and PG] when Trezz couldn't perform in the playoffs.

Lol. This is the most garbage take ever made. The team collapsed because Trez couldn't perform? That's asinine.
The team collapsed because we had an idiot at the helm who kept on playing Trez in spite of trez not being in game shape physically or mentally.
The team collapsed because of Doc and Trez.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#118 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:21 pm

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

You would know better than me, but I coudl have sworn people on this board were talking about Zu's all star potential on the board last year.

And he is a below average performer who looked like an average player (with a decent ceiling) last year playing with stars. He has regressed. He is imo a 3rd string center on a supposed contending team not even close to a starter or even 2nd string caliber. Perhaps on a lottery team he can do very well as a backup but we saw even Robin Lopez take him to town multiple times tonight.

Are issues are strong rim protection and PG. Zu is 50% of that but I think he'll look much better playing w Batum on the 2dn team not Morris.

People (including me) were excited about his potential for improvement. But absolutely no one considered him any sort of potential all star, even if only for the fact that his style of big man is totally outdated in today's NBA.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#119 » by RingColluder » Sat Mar 6, 2021 8:19 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:Did I get to the conclusion that one is real and one is not? Where? I’m saying that his actual level of player is in between those two, which means he’s an above average performer and many things support that, but he’s neither bad not is he some super defensive anchor.

People (including me) were excited about his potential for improvement. But absolutely no one considered him any sort of potential all star, even if only for the fact that his style of big man is totally outdated in today's NBA.

I specifically remember multiple times hearing the words "All star" and Zu on this board. Is there an easy search button? LOL
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#120 » by esqtvd » Sat Mar 6, 2021 9:56 am

RingColluder wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

I specifically remember multiple times hearing the words "All star" and Zu on this board. Is there an easy search button? LOL

In fairness I don't remember that. I'm not down on Zu--he's still younger than Terance Mann and Luke Kennard.

But to this day there are people who still spit on Clipper 6MOYs Jamal, Lou and Trezz, the same people who were pumping Zu as a major player who deserved more minutes. They don't do that anymore. :wink:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers