ImageImageImageImageImage

Mfi Kabengele dumped on Sac

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan, QRich3

User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 6,208
And1: 1,556
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: Mfi Kabengele dumped on Sac 

Post#21 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:14 am

og15 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:Draft is certainly unpredictable either way, there are guys who will have the "pedigree" that Mann has for example and flame out quickly, and others who people don't expect much from and surprise. It is even more true the later we go in the 1st round, and certainly in the second round.

Mann is the type of player who could have turned out to be what he has shown so far or to be like Tyrone Wallace if things didn't work out (both 4 year college guys, Tyrone had better stats and more PG like skills, but worse shooting, etc).

Kabanegele's lure was the combination of being a big who can shoot from outside and also block shots. He only scored 13.2 ppg and came off the bench playing 21 mpg, but he was his teams leading scorer. NBA teams were less concerned about how tall his head was because he has a 7'3 wingspan, and he's got good size. His biggest issue was that he fouled too much, and yea, he's not a guy who you put in any offensive decision making role or who is going to see the floor and find guys, but that's not what he was being drafted for anyways.



Thanks for your factual counterarguments OG. :-) And I'm not a shoulda-coulda when it comes to the draft because it IS a crapshoot. But they traded up for this guy. A #19 for a #27. For an older player who couldn't start for his college team. This was a FAIL.


I presented Mann because Max Headrom brought him up--Mann was drafted with a garbage what the hell pick. He's found money. As MaxH said, he's MADE himself an NBA player on basketball IQ and on character, intangibles Fi lacks. As for the tangibles--Fi doesn't have the NBA body to play the 5, let alone a trace of the skills to play the 4 in 2021. As for basketball IQ or fire in the belly like Mann has--fugetaboutit.

That's why I call this a fail. That you drafted Joe at #22 when Jim at #26 went on to become a star, well that's shoulda-coulda bullshi*t. That's not what happened here.
I think teams can overrate their ability to develop players, that might have been the case here, maybe not.

Kabangele was on a high because of his tournament performance, that likely clouded judgement on what can be gotten out of him. He averaged 17/9 and 2 blocks in the tournament, looked like a beast at times. Didn't look to pass much of course, lol

I disagree about lacking NBA center size. If you mean starter, sure, but late 1st you're expecting at best a rotation player, anything else is gravy. He has NBA rotation C size in the current NBA where PJ Tucker, Jeff Green, Draymond Green will be found in the court at C for more than a few minutes per game. He certainly has NBA C length, that's for sure.

Maybe their plan all along was to pair him and Mann together, hoping their Florida State teammate connection would help both flourish or something :lol:


You're right about Florida State making the Sweet Sixteen out of nowhere. Front offices get seduced. IIRC--and it's water under the bridge now lol--the same Clippers scout who reported on Fi said hey, his Florida State teammate Mann's better and he's still on the board at #48?! A 'what do you have to lose' pick. No genius involved here.

averaged a career-high 14.0 points and a career-high 7.7 rebounds in three games during the 2019 NCAA Tournament…became just the 37th player in school history to score 1,000 or more career points and finished his career ranked 20th in school history with 1,322 career points – he completed his career as just one of 20 players in school history to score 1,300 or more career points…finished his career with 1,322 career points, 710 career rebounds, 269 career assists and 112 career steals…one of college basketball’s ultimate “Stat Sheet Stuffers”


The subject is Fi. FAIL. For reasons given. Ironically, that was the very pick sent to Detroit in the 3-way Kennard-Shamet-19th pick [Saddiq Bey] trade. We could have 2 of the 3 right now. You can do the math. You're the most clever fellow here [except Tucson Jeff, who's smarter than both of us let's face it]. :wink:
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
clipperlover
Junior
Posts: 344
And1: 218
Joined: Sep 10, 2019

Re: Mfi Kabengele dumped on Sac 

Post#22 » by clipperlover » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:52 pm

esqtvd wrote:The subject is Fi. FAIL. For reasons given. Ironically, that was the very pick sent to Detroit in the 3-way Kennard-Shamet-19th pick [Saddiq Bey] trade. We could have 2 of the 3 right now.


Come on now. You know that isn't true. No guarantee those people and or picks wouldn't have been moved in other deals.

Fi didn't work out, but this is also the same team that took Jerome Robinson even after Michael Porter Jr fell. Robinson was a late 1st round pick at best and most mock drafts had it that way.
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 6,208
And1: 1,556
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: Mfi Kabengele dumped on Sac 

Post#23 » by esqtvd » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:16 am

clipperlover wrote:
esqtvd wrote:The subject is Fi. FAIL. For reasons given. Ironically, that was the very pick sent to Detroit in the 3-way Kennard-Shamet-19th pick [Saddiq Bey] trade. We could have 2 of the 3 right now.


Come on now. You know that isn't true.


No, it's literally true. We threw away what became the 19th pick on Fi and got nothing back.

clipperlover wrote:No guarantee those people and or picks wouldn't have been moved in other deals.

Fi didn't work out, but this is also the same team that took Jerome Robinson even after Michael Porter Jr fell. Robinson was a late 1st round pick at best and most mock drafts had it that way.


The Jerome pick was a fail as well but again, the point is we traded UP for Fi. Jerome over Porter was just a bum pick and even that had the variable of Porter perhaps never playing in the NBA.

    Michael Porter Jr. was likely a top-three NBA draft pick going into the 2017-18 NCAA season. However, after a severe back injury in Missouri's season opener cost him most of the campaign, his stock dropped.

    The Los Angeles Clippers had two back-to-back picks in the 2018 draft - Nos. 12 and 13 - but didn't select Porter, allowing him to drop to the Denver Nuggets at 14.

    On Wednesday, Porter said that he knew the Clippers weren't going to draft him because their team doctor was scared away by the injury.

    "No, their doctor was the one that wrote the report on me," Porter told reporters. "I think he wrote some stuff like he thought that I would never play basketball again, so I didn't think they'd pick me."

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1998251
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Clemenza
Analyst
Posts: 3,101
And1: 2,233
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: California
   

Re: Mfi Kabengele dumped on Sac 

Post#24 » by Clemenza » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 pm

Damn I had a feeling this was going to happen

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers