ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan, QRich3

Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
Posts: 8,577
And1: 2,340
Joined: May 01, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#21 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:43 am

Clemenza wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:While I don't like Cousins as a person, I think it's a decent depth pickup. I'm getting a bit anxious about Ibaka's injury, and other than Zu, we don't have a legit centre.

I worry about chemistry since Boogie is a bit of loose cannon, but having former teammates like Rondo and Patterson (Kentucky) might help with that.

From what I hear he's a great guy off the court. Never any legal issues as far as I know of and does fund raisers and community service. I know had beef with CP3 and Blake to a minor degree way back in the days but what opposing team didn't?

He allegedly threatened to kill his ex-girlfriend.

Also, Rondo directed a homophobic slur toward ref Bill Kennedy.

Not fond of either of these guys, but I still hope they help the Clippers win- but I don't entertain any hopeful illusions about their character
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 6,208
And1: 1,556
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#22 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:50 am

playaloc916 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:While I don't like Cousins as a person, I think it's a decent depth pickup. I'm getting a bit anxious about Ibaka's injury, and other than Zu, we don't have a legit centre.

I worry about chemistry since Boogie is a bit of loose cannon, but having former teammates like Rondo and Patterson (Kentucky) might help with that.

From what I hear he's a great guy off the court. Never any legal issues as far as I know of and does fund raisers and community service. I know had beef with CP3 and Blake to a minor degree way back in the days but what opposing team didn't?

I actually meant "on court" personality... There was that one time where he hit JJ Redick in mid-air which caused him to fall awkwardly and fracture his hand. Redick tried to shake his hand afterwards and Cousins gave him a dirty look and walks off... And if you type "Cousins fight" in youtube, a bunch of searches come up :lol:

I guess as long as he does what he's supposed to do in the game, that's all that matters. He just seems like a really grumpy and negative person on the court.


I'd like to see some grumpiness out there. Too damn nice if you ask me. :D
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
StreakyJ
Sophomore
Posts: 133
And1: 15
Joined: Jan 18, 2021

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#23 » by StreakyJ » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:04 am

Bring it. Boogie is the 2nd enforcer with Morris Sr. Nobody gonna f with those two on an average day, gives the Clips another inch of mental edge there. And another 3ball big since Zubac is a zero there, and he should be geting fairly wide open looks so his % should be up above 35%, dare I say 38-40%. And he sets wicked screens because he's made of concrete (for better and worse), which is good over a 5,6,7 game series.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 37,664
And1: 17,394
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#24 » by og15 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:48 pm

StreakyJ wrote:Bring it. Boogie is the 2nd enforcer with Morris Sr. Nobody gonna f with those two on an average day, gives the Clips another inch of mental edge there. And another 3ball big since Zubac is a zero there, and he should be geting fairly wide open looks so his % should be up above 35%, dare I say 38-40%. And he sets wicked screens because he's made of concrete (for better and worse), which is good over a 5,6,7 game series.

I don’t know if Boogie is a guy I’d think of saying he gives a team a “mental edge”, just thought that was funny. He has a propensity to get rattled and do things like pick up techs, etc, generally that’s considered more of a weaker mentality than a strong one.
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 24,334
And1: 7,675
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#25 » by TheNewEra » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:45 pm

Ballmer should buy the best healing chamber possible for the players
Kelphus
Sophomore
Posts: 195
And1: 169
Joined: Feb 25, 2014
   

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#26 » by Kelphus » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:49 pm

Cousins missed last season due to injury, was waived before season got going... got a ring anyway

Disappointment in Houston, here is an article about that https://spacecityscoop.com/2021/02/21/houston-rockets-4-reasons-demarcus-cousins-experiment-failed/
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
xTOASTEDx
Ballboy
Posts: 1
And1: 1
Joined: Apr 01, 2021

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#27 » by xTOASTEDx » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:50 pm

...
Wammy Giveaway
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,550
And1: 538
Joined: Jul 30, 2013
Contact:

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#28 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:02 pm

og15 wrote:I don’t know if Boogie is a guy I’d think of saying he gives a team a “mental edge”, just thought that was funny. He has a propensity to get rattled and do things like pick up techs, etc, generally that’s considered more of a weaker mentality than a strong one.


Don't forget about the ejections. Clippers currently have zero in that department this season.
StreakyJ
Sophomore
Posts: 133
And1: 15
Joined: Jan 18, 2021

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#29 » by StreakyJ » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:19 am

og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:Bring it. Boogie is the 2nd enforcer with Morris Sr. Nobody gonna f with those two on an average day, gives the Clips another inch of mental edge there. And another 3ball big since Zubac is a zero there, and he should be geting fairly wide open looks so his % should be up above 35%, dare I say 38-40%. And he sets wicked screens because he's made of concrete (for better and worse), which is good over a 5,6,7 game series.

I don’t know if Boogie is a guy I’d think of saying he gives a team a “mental edge”, just thought that was funny. He has a propensity to get rattled and do things like pick up techs, etc, generally that’s considered more of a weaker mentality than a strong one.


I don't care about the techs so much, as he's not going to be playing a prominent enough role or crunchtime minutes to worry about that specifically. I just mean if a Dwight Howard starts pulling the $#%# he did against Jokic in the playoffs last year playing borderline dirty, or god help a more obvious Zaza Pachulia type bustin' Kawhi's foot or Beverley busting Westbrook's knee, they got a DeMarcus to lay some wood on dude if need be on top of MorrisSr general toughness. Playoffs get rough, way rather DeMarcus get thrown out knocking someone on their $#@#% if need be than risk Kawhi getting hurt.

And honestly if ppl gonna pay PG $35M to NOT be the world-class baller he was pre-leg-injury, then I'm not hearing ppl overly hating on DeMarcus at $2.3M. Dude is a brick wall.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 37,664
And1: 17,394
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#30 » by og15 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:05 am

StreakyJ wrote:
og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:Bring it. Boogie is the 2nd enforcer with Morris Sr. Nobody gonna f with those two on an average day, gives the Clips another inch of mental edge there. And another 3ball big since Zubac is a zero there, and he should be geting fairly wide open looks so his % should be up above 35%, dare I say 38-40%. And he sets wicked screens because he's made of concrete (for better and worse), which is good over a 5,6,7 game series.

I don’t know if Boogie is a guy I’d think of saying he gives a team a “mental edge”, just thought that was funny. He has a propensity to get rattled and do things like pick up techs, etc, generally that’s considered more of a weaker mentality than a strong one.


I don't care about the techs so much, as he's not going to be playing a prominent enough role or crunchtime minutes to worry about that specifically. I just mean if a Dwight Howard starts pulling the $#%# he did against Jokic in the playoffs last year playing borderline dirty, or god help a more obvious Zaza Pachulia type bustin' Kawhi's foot or Beverley busting Westbrook's knee, they got a DeMarcus to lay some wood on dude if need be on top of MorrisSr general toughness. Playoffs get rough, way rather DeMarcus get thrown out knocking someone on their $#@#% if need be than risk Kawhi getting hurt.

And honestly if ppl gonna pay PG $35M to NOT be the world-class baller he was pre-leg-injury, then I'm not hearing ppl overly hating on DeMarcus at $2.3M. Dude is a brick wall.

You’re mixing up two sets of things here. First is suggesting that it is hating on DeMarcus who has a 10 day contract to disagree that he brings a “mental edge”. Second is your choice of words in using mental edge. I don’t think either Morris or Cousins give a team a mental edge, they give a team a physical / physicality edge, but I don’t have data or history that suggests they are specifically mentally tough or mental edge type players.

It seems like you are using mental edge in a way that it isn’t generally used, or ascribing attributes to them that aren’t really what they bring. Mental edge is usually referred to players who bring high IQ and/or composure to a team. What you give as the example of mental edge is guys being able to be enforcers, which is...physical ;)
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 6,208
And1: 1,556
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#31 » by esqtvd » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:56 am

BOOGIE IN THE HOUSE!!

Image
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
StreakyJ
Sophomore
Posts: 133
And1: 15
Joined: Jan 18, 2021

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#32 » by StreakyJ » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:17 am

og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:
og15 wrote:I don’t know if Boogie is a guy I’d think of saying he gives a team a “mental edge”, just thought that was funny. He has a propensity to get rattled and do things like pick up techs, etc, generally that’s considered more of a weaker mentality than a strong one.


I don't care about the techs so much, as he's not going to be playing a prominent enough role or crunchtime minutes to worry about that specifically. I just mean if a Dwight Howard starts pulling the $#%# he did against Jokic in the playoffs last year playing borderline dirty, or god help a more obvious Zaza Pachulia type bustin' Kawhi's foot or Beverley busting Westbrook's knee, they got a DeMarcus to lay some wood on dude if need be on top of MorrisSr general toughness. Playoffs get rough, way rather DeMarcus get thrown out knocking someone on their $#@#% if need be than risk Kawhi getting hurt.

And honestly if ppl gonna pay PG $35M to NOT be the world-class baller he was pre-leg-injury, then I'm not hearing ppl overly hating on DeMarcus at $2.3M. Dude is a brick wall.

You’re mixing up two sets of things here. First is suggesting that it is hating on DeMarcus who has a 10 day contract to disagree that he brings a “mental edge”. Second is your choice of words in using mental edge. I don’t think either Morris or Cousins give a team a mental edge, they give a team a physical / physicality edge, but I don’t have data or history that suggests they are specifically mentally tough or mental edge type players.

It seems like you are using mental edge in a way that it isn’t generally used, or ascribing attributes to them that aren’t really what they bring. Mental edge is usually referred to players who bring high IQ and/or composure to a team. What you give as the example of mental edge is guys being able to be enforcers, which is...physical ;)


Seems like you watch more NBATV on your couch than you ever played any bball of any consequence, because only THAT dude is so poorly conceived to say that physicality has no effect on mental edge. OBVIOUSLY Shaq, LBJ, MJ, Kobe, Draymond, Rodman, Karl Malone got NO mental edge from physicality (enforcer included) which is just ... physical.

Go back to kiddie camp junior.
clipperlover
Junior
Posts: 344
And1: 218
Joined: Sep 10, 2019

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#33 » by clipperlover » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:17 am

Hopefully, he can bring some blocks that this team is sorely lacking. At some point, we need to being putting Cousins and Zubac on the court together for stretches and force the opponent's hands.
Clemenza
Analyst
Posts: 3,101
And1: 2,233
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: California
   

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#34 » by Clemenza » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:25 am

esqtvd wrote:BOOGIE IN THE HOUSE!!

Image

That Boogie in the pic looks in shape and motivated :nod:
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 37,664
And1: 17,394
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#35 » by og15 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:01 am

StreakyJ wrote:
og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:
I don't care about the techs so much, as he's not going to be playing a prominent enough role or crunchtime minutes to worry about that specifically. I just mean if a Dwight Howard starts pulling the $#%# he did against Jokic in the playoffs last year playing borderline dirty, or god help a more obvious Zaza Pachulia type bustin' Kawhi's foot or Beverley busting Westbrook's knee, they got a DeMarcus to lay some wood on dude if need be on top of MorrisSr general toughness. Playoffs get rough, way rather DeMarcus get thrown out knocking someone on their $#@#% if need be than risk Kawhi getting hurt.

And honestly if ppl gonna pay PG $35M to NOT be the world-class baller he was pre-leg-injury, then I'm not hearing ppl overly hating on DeMarcus at $2.3M. Dude is a brick wall.

You’re mixing up two sets of things here. First is suggesting that it is hating on DeMarcus who has a 10 day contract to disagree that he brings a “mental edge”. Second is your choice of words in using mental edge. I don’t think either Morris or Cousins give a team a mental edge, they give a team a physical / physicality edge, but I don’t have data or history that suggests they are specifically mentally tough or mental edge type players.

It seems like you are using mental edge in a way that it isn’t generally used, or ascribing attributes to them that aren’t really what they bring. Mental edge is usually referred to players who bring high IQ and/or composure to a team. What you give as the example of mental edge is guys being able to be enforcers, which is...physical ;)


Seems like you watch more NBATV on your couch than you ever played any bball of any consequence, because only THAT dude is so poorly conceived to say that physicality has no effect on mental edge. OBVIOUSLY Shaq, LBJ, MJ, Kobe, Draymond, Rodman, Karl Malone got NO mental edge from physicality (enforcer included) which is just ... physical.

Go back to kiddie camp junior.
:lol: one of those types of posters I see, sorry, not going to spend time with this
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 6,208
And1: 1,556
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#36 » by esqtvd » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:23 am

bring on the Goon Squad

Read on Twitter


bring on the T's :lol:

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
StreakyJ
Sophomore
Posts: 133
And1: 15
Joined: Jan 18, 2021

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#37 » by StreakyJ » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:55 am

og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:
og15 wrote:You’re mixing up two sets of things here. First is suggesting that it is hating on DeMarcus who has a 10 day contract to disagree that he brings a “mental edge”. Second is your choice of words in using mental edge. I don’t think either Morris or Cousins give a team a mental edge, they give a team a physical / physicality edge, but I don’t have data or history that suggests they are specifically mentally tough or mental edge type players.

It seems like you are using mental edge in a way that it isn’t generally used, or ascribing attributes to them that aren’t really what they bring. Mental edge is usually referred to players who bring high IQ and/or composure to a team. What you give as the example of mental edge is guys being able to be enforcers, which is...physical ;)


Seems like you watch more NBATV on your couch than you ever played any bball of any consequence, because only THAT dude is so poorly conceived to say that physicality has no effect on mental edge. OBVIOUSLY Shaq, LBJ, MJ, Kobe, Draymond, Rodman, Karl Malone got NO mental edge from physicality (enforcer included) which is just ... physical.

Go back to kiddie camp junior.
:lol: one of those types of posters I see, sorry, not going to spend time with this


How about you save the emojis for your girlfriend. And go play chess then if you want to narrow "mental edge" in a bonafide contact sport down to solely to IQ and composure. Pretty sure I've never seen anyone get their nose broken, teeth knocked out, or shoulder ripped out of socket (Olynyk/KLove) playing chess.

But keep the elitist "high road" comments coming, just proves to me how, as a MODERATOR, your ACTUAL playing experience is pretty f'ing suspect to make such an off-base claim (even in today's less physical 3ball climate). Or doesn't LBJ spend $1M just on his body/physique ... because no mental edge there at all, it's all just physicality. Kobe went out and got Ron Artest for his basketball IQ and composure.

Your comment is akin to Morris in this clip (fail):
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=morris+tries+to+push+boogie&type=E210US91088G0#id=6&vid=151698f99ab2c270eaec2c5ac21c0483&action=click
You can do better than that.
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 6,208
And1: 1,556
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#38 » by esqtvd » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:56 am

StreakyJ wrote:
og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:
Seems like you watch more NBATV on your couch than you ever played any bball of any consequence, because only THAT dude is so poorly conceived to say that physicality has no effect on mental edge. OBVIOUSLY Shaq, LBJ, MJ, Kobe, Draymond, Rodman, Karl Malone got NO mental edge from physicality (enforcer included) which is just ... physical.

Go back to kiddie camp junior.
:lol: one of those types of posters I see, sorry, not going to spend time with this


How about you save the emojis for your girlfriend. And go play chess then if you want to narrow "mental edge" in a bonafide contact sport down to solely to IQ and composure. Pretty sure I've never seen anyone get their nose broken, teeth knocked out, or shoulder ripped out of socket (Olynyk/KLove) playing chess.

But keep the elitist "high road" comments coming, just proves to me how, as a MODERATOR, your ACTUAL playing experience is pretty f'ing suspect to make such an off-base claim (even in today's less physical 3ball climate). Or doesn't LBJ spend $1M just on his body/physique ... because no mental edge there at all, it's all just physicality. Kobe went out and got Ron Artest for his basketball IQ and composure.

Your comment is akin to Morris in this clip (fail):
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=morris+tries+to+push+boogie&type=E210US91088G0#id=6&vid=151698f99ab2c270eaec2c5ac21c0483&action=click
You can do better than that.



If I may "moderate" here, this is more a difference about words, not the ideas behind them. Words often get in the way of mutual understanding.

This discussion reminded me of Muhammad Ali, who often won a fight before they ever stepped into the ring via verbal intimidation.

And Mike Tyson, who scared the living sh*it out of you with his willingness to do you merciless violence.

I think, frankly in the world of sport I'm more afraid of LeBron than CP3, of Randy Johnson than Greg Maddux, of Dick Butkus than Peyton Manning. Hey, if Peyton Manning is smarter than me, so be it--I'm just a jock. But posterize me and I'm humiliated for all time.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 37,664
And1: 17,394
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#39 » by og15 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:38 pm

StreakyJ wrote:
og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:
Seems like you watch more NBATV on your couch than you ever played any bball of any consequence, because only THAT dude is so poorly conceived to say that physicality has no effect on mental edge. OBVIOUSLY Shaq, LBJ, MJ, Kobe, Draymond, Rodman, Karl Malone got NO mental edge from physicality (enforcer included) which is just ... physical.

Go back to kiddie camp junior.
:lol: one of those types of posters I see, sorry, not going to spend time with this


How about you save the emojis for your girlfriend. And go play chess then if you want to narrow "mental edge" in a bonafide contact sport down to solely to IQ and composure. Pretty sure I've never seen anyone get their nose broken, teeth knocked out, or shoulder ripped out of socket (Olynyk/KLove) playing chess.

But keep the elitist "high road" comments coming, just proves to me how, as a MODERATOR, your ACTUAL playing experience is pretty f'ing suspect to make such an off-base claim (even in today's less physical 3ball climate). Or doesn't LBJ spend $1M just on his body/physique ... because no mental edge there at all, it's all just physicality. Kobe went out and got Ron Artest for his basketball IQ and composure.

Your comment is akin to Morris in this clip (fail):
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=morris+tries+to+push+boogie&type=E210US91088G0#id=6&vid=151698f99ab2c270eaec2c5ac21c0483&action=click
You can do better than that.

Jumping into the forum with multiple personal attacks is going to get you a break from the forum, I'm not interested in proving myself to, nor am I concerned with randoms on the internet trying to exert dominance or whatever this is supposed to be, sorry, nice try through. Precedent wise though, break time will be needed.

Okay, without giving too much time into this. Mental edge and physical edge are related, but do not always go hand in hand. To have an edge mentally, you have to be both wiling to dish and know how to take it without losing composure yourself. Having a physical edge does not automatically give a mental edge if you aren't also composed enough. Players who give a mental edge with physicality have the ability to do two things:
    1) Know when it is okay to act insane and when it is not (Cousins technical history and any watching of him shows that he does not)
    2) Know how to not get rattled themselves while being able to rattle others (Cousins has a tendency to get rattled and play stupid more than he should)
    3) Aren't easily baited into losing composure to the detriment of their team (Cousins himself can get targeted by the opposition to try to get him out of the game).

So when you cite LeBron, Shaq, Malone, etc, guys who are massive, who will dish it out, who you don't want to get in front of, those guys you rarely see get rattled and have their emotions compromise their game. It's a false comparison. Their physicality leads to a mental edge because they don't lose composure when it is dished at them, and they don't get rattled.

Yes, anyone who has played at any level knows the difference between the guy who is physical and will wear your down physically and mentally with it, and the guy who is physical but can be baited into stupid plays and stupid decisions with physicality or even with just little annoying things by opponents. Those are very different beasts.
Captain Ballmer
Junior
Posts: 482
And1: 334
Joined: Jul 14, 2015
Location: Istanbul
     

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#40 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:32 pm

Happy to see we finally have a big that can pass&shoot. Just like Rondo, something different to the mold.
Sam Cassell, Cuttino Mobley, Shaun Livingston, Corey Maggette, Chris Kaman.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers