ImageImageImageImageImage

GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan, QRich3

playaloc916
Analyst
Posts: 3,326
And1: 753
Joined: Jul 28, 2006
 

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#81 » by playaloc916 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:45 am

esqtvd wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:Reggie may actually be the best value minimum contract player in the league



thank you

shoutout to brother Playaloc, who kept the faith
this man has 200+ NBA starts

The leader of the Reginald Fan Club, reporting for duty 8-)

This may have been Reggie's best game as a Clipper. He was doing it all, hitting threes, driving, passing, defending... I remember reading some posts (maybe on another board) where some people didn't want him back, even on a minimum deal!? His 3 pt shooting alone is worth his contract... Time to put some respect on Reggie's name!
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 24,334
And1: 7,675
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#82 » by TheNewEra » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:45 am

og15 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
og15 wrote:Some people might still not want to admit it, but Reggie Jackson is a bargain and has been a very nice pickup for a minimum contract, supposed to be 3rd string PG player.

He's definitely been good lately (including tonight), but I'd still feel more comfortable with Mann getting all those minutes in the playoffs.

Game planning won't allow for that, because if Mann is always on, opposition will try to game plan to make him shoot more, and sometimes it won't work and he might have to be taken out. Who plays will have to be based on what is happening in the game. Reggie this season hits 46.6% on 3PT shots when wide open, basically the same as Kennard (46.5%) and not far off Batum (47.2%), though Morris is way ahead (51.2%). Now, when he's just open, he goes down to 36.4%, but he's very good when wide open. Mann has improved as a shooter, but he's not at that level. Reggie has both the ability to hit wide open shots consistently, attack against close-outs, and also be a third guy to initiate and attack from the pick and roll.

Mann and Reggie bring different skillsets, and one doesn't overlap the other enough or cover all (enough) bases in order to totally eliminate the need for the other.

I mentioned it earlier in the season when people were too obsessed with trashing him. Everyone was so focused on how he couldn't guard Luka last playoffs and stuff like that out of his control and people lost sight of a role player doing his role player duties. He shot 53% 3PT. He's a career 46/38 player in the post-season compared to 43/34 in the regular season. There's use for a guy like that in the post-season, just have to take him out when it's not favorable, and as long as health doesn't tank, there are options.


Mann getting minutes seems more attached to his ability to play small ball. Luke and Reggie seem to be in competition for the shooting role
RingColluder
Junior
Posts: 280
And1: 75
Joined: Mar 02, 2021

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#83 » by RingColluder » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:00 am

nice game. If PG looks like that we'll be in the WCF. Playing exactly how I've said he should give or take 3 sloppy TO's.

Cant believe Kawhi ended w 29 on 10-18 shooting since he looked awful for most of the game :crazy:

The depth on the team is insane, Im so glad we got Rondo.

I AM conceded though by our lackadaisical defense in the post at times... why is Ty Lue not putting in Zubac or DEMARCUS!!

Demarcus looked phenomenal. IF he can get his conditioning in a great place, he could even start some games depending on matchups. Looked phenomenal.

Very nice win, must continue it forward against the streaking Suns
RingColluder
Junior
Posts: 280
And1: 75
Joined: Mar 02, 2021

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#84 » by RingColluder » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:02 am

esqtvd wrote:just don't expect too much


Read on Twitter


this is exactly why and reason number 50 why Justin Russo is clueless most of the time
playaloc916
Analyst
Posts: 3,326
And1: 753
Joined: Jul 28, 2006
 

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#85 » by playaloc916 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:06 am

Clemenza wrote:Cousins fits perfectly on this team if he can stay healthy. Pat Bev, Rondo, Reggie, and Mann locking down the opposing star guard they they did Lillard tonight could be a huge game changer for us if they too can stay healthy. Good to see PG have a game like this. Kawhi battled and muscled up. Reggie said he's not going to fade to the end of the bench with new additions added. This is a good thing for the team. Good game overall. I knew Portland would make a run. It wasn't going to be smooth sailing all game long. Lots of talent on this team now. Lets see if Lue can find the right rotations.

I was pleasantly surprised by Cousins. He has such a huge presence in the paint, and he was just gobbling up those boards. Was able to finish inside, and hit a deep 2 as well. I just worry about him staying healthy... With his injury history, every time he runs down the court I was holding my breath... But I agree, if he stays healthy, he gives the team a different look inside, and would be perfect matching up with bigger guys.

To go from having 8 guys in the Orlando game, to not having enough minutes for everyone (still missing Ibaka!), feels good man....

I'm looking forward to the Suns game. Hope Rondo can get CP3 ejected, lol.
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 24,334
And1: 7,675
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#86 » by TheNewEra » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:08 am

Max Headrom wrote:Reggie may actually be the best value minimum contract player in the league

Really stepped up for injuries and catch and shoot ability
RingColluder
Junior
Posts: 280
And1: 75
Joined: Mar 02, 2021

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#87 » by RingColluder » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:15 am

Reggie may be on a great deal, but he cannot get minutes over Mann in the playoffs with his "defense". He is sorta in what I think they wanted Kennard to be.. if we need a spark plug he can get some time OR if Mann isn't providing offensively but this is a horrible precedent to have him be the first one off the bench in games. Hopefully just a Bev thing and Lue is still experimenting. I guess his minimum deal is balancing out with Kennard's $14 million bench filler role. Good job Lawrence?

Shocked to see barely any love for Demarcus after this game. He looks like he can provide very similarly to how Montrez did last season, only with much better defense and less explosiveness obviously. 9pts 8 rebounds a game this season before he got cut is terrific, I guess the Rockets were just tanking and didn't want him to take minutes from younger guys. He's looking like an absolute steal and we may have lucked into a fantastic situation w him and Rondo.

We just can't overlook how bad our defense looked at times though. PG is not going to score 20 in every quarter. The bench will not be lights out from 3 every game and most of all a player like Dame will not have 4+ games looking this bad particularly when Nurkic comes back. But by the same coin, I doubt CJ will play this good at all times.

But once again, Ty Lue playing Kawhi an extra 2-3 minutes to end the game instead of resting him up 17 is clueless. Even the announcers mentioned it before one of them excused it as the game still being competitive. Hope it doesn't come back to bite us against the Suns.

I think it'd ve a very entertaining series against the Trailblazers and after seeing the last 2 games, I suppose I'd take them over the Mavericks in a series.

My theory regarding PG's really strong game today was he had some extra shots or something to his foot pregame. I can't think of a team PG would want to be more motivated to play against, and his explosion, looking to draw contact, and physical game looked far better than anything I've seen all season.. and this is after he had the article about his injury? Weird. Either he's healthy or did get some sort of treatment, in which case I hope he saves it for the playoffs and doesn't come hobbling in come round 1. Again, look at the article I referenced on pg 1... it makes no sense how he looked so much better than he has for the last 15 or so games.
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 24,334
And1: 7,675
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#88 » by TheNewEra » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:31 am

I also hate the message it sends to the young guys if they get pushed aside after hard work shown. Mann was closer to the minutes I think he will get with maybe needed 5 more. Luke is the big money guy having a career shooting percentage season. You can’t keep putting off development
playaloc916
Analyst
Posts: 3,326
And1: 753
Joined: Jul 28, 2006
 

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#89 » by playaloc916 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:32 am

RingColluder wrote:Shocked to see barely any love for Demarcus after this game. He looks like he can provide very similarly to how Montrez did last season, only with much better defense and less explosiveness obviously. 9pts 8 rebounds a game this season before he got cut is terrific, I guess the Rockets were just tanking and didn't want him to take minutes from younger guys. He's looking like an absolute steal and we may have lucked into a fantastic situation w him and Rondo.


He could turn out to be what Dwight was for the Lakers last year. A low risk, high reward pickup. And I think him having Rondo and Patterson on the team will make him feel more at home. I'm assuming he gets signed for the rest of the year. Pretty solid big man rotation of Ibaka, Zubac, and Cousins.
NickP
Junior
Posts: 422
And1: 196
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#90 » by NickP » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:36 am

Very nice win. We didn't fold when the blazers cut it to 5. Can't wait for a healthy Ibaka to come back.
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 6,208
And1: 1,556
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#91 » by esqtvd » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:40 am

RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:just don't expect too much


Read on Twitter


this is exactly why and reason number 50 why Justin Russo is clueless most of the time



I've actually dissed Russo in the past too--but I also like his stats and information gathering so I link him. But he's out of work as a professional sports columnist and he isn't even on Clipper Nation amateur site anymore. I think he holds Clippers press credentials but I don't think he has a job as a professional sports journalist.

For good reason, apparently. My apologies to the board for linking him here. I'll continue to link his stats but his "eye tests" are wank.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
RingColluder
Junior
Posts: 280
And1: 75
Joined: Mar 02, 2021

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#92 » by RingColluder » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:48 am

esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:just don't expect too much


Read on Twitter


this is exactly why and reason number 50 why Justin Russo is clueless most of the time



I've actually dissed Russo in the past too--but I also like his stats and information gathering so I link him. But he's out of work as a professional sports columnist and he isn't even on Clipper Nation amateur site anymore. I think he holds Clippers press credentials but I don't think he has a job as a professional sports journalist.

For good reason, apparently. My apologies to the board for linking him here. I'll continue to link his stats but his "eye tests" are wank.


My eye tests are much better than Justin Russo's :wink:

And Russo is clueless, it's a lot of homerism and agendas to keep his press credential more so than actual analysis..

but I digress, enough about him :lol:
RingColluder
Junior
Posts: 280
And1: 75
Joined: Mar 02, 2021

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#93 » by RingColluder » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:50 am

playaloc916 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:Shocked to see barely any love for Demarcus after this game. He looks like he can provide very similarly to how Montrez did last season, only with much better defense and less explosiveness obviously. 9pts 8 rebounds a game this season before he got cut is terrific, I guess the Rockets were just tanking and didn't want him to take minutes from younger guys. He's looking like an absolute steal and we may have lucked into a fantastic situation w him and Rondo.


He could turn out to be what Dwight was for the Lakers last year. A low risk, high reward pickup. And I think him having Rondo and Patterson on the team will make him feel more at home. I'm assuming he gets signed for the rest of the year. Pretty solid big man rotation of Ibaka, Zubac, and Cousins.


Absolutely. Plus him and Rondo are good friends so IF he is healthy I could see him being here next year too. He's close w Patterson?

From everything I saw today, he has all the makings to start once again assuming his health is fine. But for now, I'll gladly take 12 minutes of solid domination on both ends of the court.
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 6,208
And1: 1,556
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#94 » by esqtvd » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:09 am

RingColluder wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:Shocked to see barely any love for Demarcus after this game. He looks like he can provide very similarly to how Montrez did last season, only with much better defense and less explosiveness obviously. 9pts 8 rebounds a game this season before he got cut is terrific, I guess the Rockets were just tanking and didn't want him to take minutes from younger guys. He's looking like an absolute steal and we may have lucked into a fantastic situation w him and Rondo.


He could turn out to be what Dwight was for the Lakers last year. A low risk, high reward pickup. And I think him having Rondo and Patterson on the team will make him feel more at home. I'm assuming he gets signed for the rest of the year. Pretty solid big man rotation of Ibaka, Zubac, and Cousins.


Absolutely. Plus him and Rondo are good friends so IF he is healthy I could see him being here next year too. He's close w Patterson?

From everything I saw today, he has all the makings to start once again assuming his health is fine. But for now, I'll gladly take 12 minutes of solid domination on both ends of the court.



Based on your posts to date, you would start Boogie, Mann, Marcus, Kennard and Zubac.

Easy there, youngblood. :wink:
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
RingColluder
Junior
Posts: 280
And1: 75
Joined: Mar 02, 2021

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#95 » by RingColluder » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:16 am

esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:
He could turn out to be what Dwight was for the Lakers last year. A low risk, high reward pickup. And I think him having Rondo and Patterson on the team will make him feel more at home. I'm assuming he gets signed for the rest of the year. Pretty solid big man rotation of Ibaka, Zubac, and Cousins.


Absolutely. Plus him and Rondo are good friends so IF he is healthy I could see him being here next year too. He's close w Patterson?

From everything I saw today, he has all the makings to start once again assuming his health is fine. But for now, I'll gladly take 12 minutes of solid domination on both ends of the court.



Based on your posts to date, you would start Boogie, Mann, Marcus, Kennard and Zubac.

Easy there, youngblood. :wink:


:crazy: I'm not a Kennard fan lol
playaloc916
Analyst
Posts: 3,326
And1: 753
Joined: Jul 28, 2006
 

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#96 » by playaloc916 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:18 pm

RingColluder wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:Shocked to see barely any love for Demarcus after this game. He looks like he can provide very similarly to how Montrez did last season, only with much better defense and less explosiveness obviously. 9pts 8 rebounds a game this season before he got cut is terrific, I guess the Rockets were just tanking and didn't want him to take minutes from younger guys. He's looking like an absolute steal and we may have lucked into a fantastic situation w him and Rondo.


He could turn out to be what Dwight was for the Lakers last year. A low risk, high reward pickup. And I think him having Rondo and Patterson on the team will make him feel more at home. I'm assuming he gets signed for the rest of the year. Pretty solid big man rotation of Ibaka, Zubac, and Cousins.


Absolutely. Plus him and Rondo are good friends so IF he is healthy I could see him being here next year too. He's close w Patterson?

From everything I saw today, he has all the makings to start once again assuming his health is fine. But for now, I'll gladly take 12 minutes of solid domination on both ends of the court.

Cousins and Patterson were teammates at Kentucky, and I've read that Patterson tried to recruit him several times already.

Image
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 37,664
And1: 17,394
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#97 » by og15 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:00 pm

playaloc916 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Cousins fits perfectly on this team if he can stay healthy. Pat Bev, Rondo, Reggie, and Mann locking down the opposing star guard they they did Lillard tonight could be a huge game changer for us if they too can stay healthy. Good to see PG have a game like this. Kawhi battled and muscled up. Reggie said he's not going to fade to the end of the bench with new additions added. This is a good thing for the team. Good game overall. I knew Portland would make a run. It wasn't going to be smooth sailing all game long. Lots of talent on this team now. Lets see if Lue can find the right rotations.

I was pleasantly surprised by Cousins. He has such a huge presence in the paint, and he was just gobbling up those boards. Was able to finish inside, and hit a deep 2 as well. I just worry about him staying healthy... With his injury history, every time he runs down the court I was holding my breath... But I agree, if he stays healthy, he gives the team a different look inside, and would be perfect matching up with bigger guys.

To go from having 8 guys in the Orlando game, to not having enough minutes for everyone (still missing Ibaka!), feels good man....

I'm looking forward to the Suns game. Hope Rondo can get CP3 ejected, lol.

Clippers signed two of CP3’s least favourite NBA players, Rondo and Cousins :lol:


RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
Absolutely. Plus him and Rondo are good friends so IF he is healthy I could see him being here next year too. He's close w Patterson?

From everything I saw today, he has all the makings to start once again assuming his health is fine. But for now, I'll gladly take 12 minutes of solid domination on both ends of the court.



Based on your posts to date, you would start Boogie, Mann, Marcus, Kennard and Zubac.

Easy there, youngblood. :wink:


:crazy: I'm not a Kennard fan lol

....but you didn’t deny the rest ;) :lol:
User avatar
SK21209
Analyst
Posts: 3,356
And1: 3,608
Joined: Jul 12, 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
   

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#98 » by SK21209 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:32 pm

I don't know anything about this Justin Russo person but I mean, he's not wrong about how Cousins played in Houston this year. He was not good, that's just a fact. Now could a lot of that be the circumstances there and struggles returning from the injury? Yeah of course. I don't think Cousins should be playing getting more than a few minutes a game (if any) when/if Serge and Zu are healthy. Even when we last saw him before the ACL tear, he would occasionally have a pretty good offensive game for the Warriors but was pretty bad defensively. Like others have said, we just needed an actual third big that isn't Patrick Patterson.
RingColluder
Junior
Posts: 280
And1: 75
Joined: Mar 02, 2021

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#99 » by RingColluder » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:05 pm

og15 wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Cousins fits perfectly on this team if he can stay healthy. Pat Bev, Rondo, Reggie, and Mann locking down the opposing star guard they they did Lillard tonight could be a huge game changer for us if they too can stay healthy. Good to see PG have a game like this. Kawhi battled and muscled up. Reggie said he's not going to fade to the end of the bench with new additions added. This is a good thing for the team. Good game overall. I knew Portland would make a run. It wasn't going to be smooth sailing all game long. Lots of talent on this team now. Lets see if Lue can find the right rotations.

I was pleasantly surprised by Cousins. He has such a huge presence in the paint, and he was just gobbling up those boards. Was able to finish inside, and hit a deep 2 as well. I just worry about him staying healthy... With his injury history, every time he runs down the court I was holding my breath... But I agree, if he stays healthy, he gives the team a different look inside, and would be perfect matching up with bigger guys.

To go from having 8 guys in the Orlando game, to not having enough minutes for everyone (still missing Ibaka!), feels good man....

I'm looking forward to the Suns game. Hope Rondo can get CP3 ejected, lol.

Clippers signed two of CP3’s least favourite NBA players, Rondo and Cousins :lol:


RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Based on your posts to date, you would start Boogie, Mann, Marcus, Kennard and Zubac.

Easy there, youngblood. :wink:


:crazy: I'm not a Kennard fan lol

....but you didn’t deny the rest ;) :lol:


You really read those posts and came to the conclusion I'm a big Zu fan? :lol: .

It's Boogie SZN 8-) 8-)
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 8,588
And1: 3,982
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: GAME 52: Blazers (30-19) @ Clippers (33-18)—Tuesday 7PM PDT 

Post#100 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:50 pm

SK21209 wrote:I don't know anything about this Justin Russo person but I mean, he's not wrong about how Cousins played in Houston this year. He was not good, that's just a fact. Now could a lot of that be the circumstances there and struggles returning from the injury? Yeah of course. I don't think Cousins should be playing getting more than a few minutes a game (if any) when/if Serge and Zu are healthy. Even when we last saw him before the ACL tear, he would occasionally have a pretty good offensive game for the Warriors but was pretty bad defensively. Like others have said, we just needed an actual third big that isn't Patrick Patterson.


I think for vets like Boogie context is everything. On a completely rebuilding team like Houston, even the good things he can still do are largely irrelevant. But as a 3rd string center on a team with championship aspirations, we all like what we see far.

I imagine playing for a playoff team will give him an extra spring to his step (which he of course needs.) He'll probably crap the bed at least once during his 10-day contract, but that's fine in his limited role.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers