GAME 64: Clippers (43-20) @ Suns (43-18)—Wednesday 7PM PDT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Re: GAME 64: Clippers (43-20) @ Suns (43-18)—Wednesday 7PM PDT 

Post#141 » by RingColluder » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:41 am

Clemenza wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:Enough. We’re done with personal attacks on this thread and board.

I get it that tempers are flaring, but the out of context, repetitive attacks on posters AND players won’t be tolerated. They derail the normal board conversations. They’re a violation on the RealGM terms of service. They’re done. Now. This is a group warning.

Where you been at? This place is a hell hole now. One or two guys have bottomed the place out by ripping one player to death 99% of the time in their posts, flaming, baiting, and then playing victim and running to the mods! Are you guys here or not?

Edited by mod: Backseat modding is done too. Focus on what you’re saying. More of this will result in warnings and suspensions.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Post#142 » by Clemenza » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:52 am

RingColluder wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
The difference is they are more pieces to move around and futz with AND adjust roles, but a max player like PG is one player with one massive ego who either bc of coaching or agreed role has not changed his role whatsoever as an awful PG for the team. I'm not a big Gallo fan at all.. SGA obviously, but the bigger issue is the first rounders which we could have used OR traded for a player once we saw in the season how Kawhi adjusted to those around him.

once again it's not SGA + Gallo = PG. It would be SGA + Gallo + draft picks + starting/6th man big center + a guard or two who are great role players = PG.

If Kawhi doesn't perform in the playoffs I'll be disappointed but I've seen him far too many times to ever count him out. PG obviously has never done anything in the last 6 years but 6 (or 5) consecutive first round exits.. And Gasol is not even close to the level of talent PG is supposed to be, was he a max player? Big difference and Kawhi is too nice to throw a teammate UTB like that, Kobe thrived on the chaos

Who's to say that would've even happened as it took a 2nd massive disgusting 3-1 choke job for Ballmer to realize that something was totally wrong and out of balance with the team and its makeup. And Gasol in his prime was definitely a PG equivalent if not greater imo. Don't confuse players of yesteryear being lesser as more money is available to players because of the tv contracts as opposed to back then. I'm not one to pit Clipper player against another Clipper player but the mods have allowed this to go on for weeks and weeks so now here we are. The player who put this entire scheme in motion needs to be on the court Saturday night NO MATTER WHAT. Tired of seeing one-two guys take all the heat and blame while the number one guy sits back with his feet kicked up and gets a pass for what he did with another team in another country! When are we going to see some LA Clipper theatrics from this guy?

I totally disagree with your Gasol assessment, as to my recollection Gasol was considered more of a "#3/Kevin Love" type during the Lakers years who was the perpetual scapegoat as legend Kobe dragged the team to finals on his back (not the truth, just the perception at the time). PG and Kawhi was presented as 2 elite MVP level talents joining together to dominate, and that just hasn't been the case.

We still have no clue on Kawhi's health, like the KD situation w the Warriors (but to a greater extent) with us virtually locking up the #3 seed bc of these 2 awful losses I'd be fine resting everyone including PG up until a few games before. Having Kawhi on the court just to "prove it" or divert blame from PG is totally unnecessary and ego based. And I don't think anyone else is getting blame other than PG right now, no? You said one-two guys, but the "number 2" when Kawhi is out, Morris has been playing phenomenal.

The larger issue is just that it Is a bad fit w PG and Kawhi "taking turns" constantly on offense and sadly the combined talent level isn't enough to make up for it in a similar situation to Wade/Lebron (who also had Bosh on the team, whereas we have Morris and filler like Kennard and others taking up cap instead).

Personally I'd be totally fine if PG's role took a massive step back, Kawhi become "The guy" like in Toronto, and win or lose Kawhi would take all the glory OR all the blame for the loss. But that's not what seems to be happening so yes both will have a. lot of pressure to live up too, PG in the sense of he's never done anything in the playoffs recently but 5 consecutive first round losses and Kawhi for taking the Clippers hostage and forcing PG here.

Ok if you realize that both PG and Kawhi isn't the best fit then why all the extra flaming and dissing PG when we lose? If you're so understanding and rational now why arent' you like this in your other posts? According to you he's the worst player on the planet. And win or lose PG will take all the blame and memes and Kawhi will be teflon status as usual. From you the media and all the talking heads. The narrative is already set and PG is the bulls eye target point blank. Kawhi can stay on the bench- play or not play. Leadership- no leadership, be vocal or stay mute.. He's good no matter what happens and the front office will continue to bend over backwards for him no matter what happens. Hell of a run in Toronto and he's still eating off that
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#143 » by Clemenza » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:53 am

RingColluder wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:Enough. We’re done with personal attacks on this thread and board.

I get it that tempers are flaring, but the out of context, repetitive attacks on posters AND players won’t be tolerated. They derail the normal board conversations. They’re a violation on the RealGM terms of service. They’re done. Now. This is a group warning.

Where you been at? This place is a hell hole now. One or two guys have bottomed the place out by ripping one player to death 99% of the time in their posts, flaming, baiting, and then playing victim and running to the mods! Are you guys here or not?

"Playing victim" :lol: If you want to see people "play victim" I can go with the personal attacks I have ready to go if moderators continue to allow from one certain poster's disgusting behavior. What a joke.

It's hypocrisy but you seem blind to it.

Now let's get back to basketball discussion, shall we?

Edited by mod: Backseat modding is done too. Focus on what you’re saying. More of this will result in warnings and suspensions.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#144 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:54 am

Clemenza wrote: I'm not one to pit Clipper player against another Clipper player but the mods have allowed this to go on for weeks and weeks so now here we are. The player who put this entire scheme in motion needs to be on the court Saturday night NO MATTER WHAT. Tired of seeing one-two guys take all the heat and blame while the number one guy sits back with his feet kicked up and gets a pass for what he did with another team in another country! When are we going to see some LA Clipper theatrics from this guy?

Well, it went on for years and years before I got here--including EVERY GAME THREAD still douching Doc long after he's gone-- so I'm certainly down with change.

But I don't lay it all on the mods--we as a community have to say ENOUGH. Mr Colluder's constant douchebagging of PG is nothing that hasn't gone on FOR YEARS here with the names changed. :wink:

I'm happy to see this all laid out in the open. [Some people think I love Doc. I don't even like him. :wink:]
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#145 » by RingColluder » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:55 am

Clemenza wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Where you been at? This place is a hell hole now. One or two guys have bottomed the place out by ripping one player to death 99% of the time in their posts, flaming, baiting, and then playing victim and running to the mods! Are you guys here or not?

"Playing victim" :lol: If you want to see people "play victim" I can go with the personal attacks I have ready to go if moderators continue to allow from one certain poster's disgusting behavior. What a joke.

It's hypocrisy but you seem blind to it.

Now let's get back to basketball discussion, shall we?

RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#146 » by RingColluder » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:58 am

Deleted by moderator. Stick with basketball.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by Clemenza » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:07 am

Lets get this win on Saturday.. No more passes for any player! I don't give a sh*t what you did for Toronto, Canada. If its not Clipper related then f*ck that sh*t!!
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#148 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:44 am

Clemenza wrote:Lets get this win on Saturday.. No more passes for any player! I don't give a sh*t what you did for Toronto, Canada. If its not Clipper related then f*ck that sh*t!!

if you're talking about the board BS add+1000 :lol:

As to the team---We are gonna live or die in the playoffs with/without Kawhi, let's face it. The Lakers are even more lost without LeBron.

Kawhi has played back-to-backs this year and his PRIVATE LOCKER ROOM thing last year with PG is a thing of the past. I think they were the most destructive things last year by far. YOU PEASANTS are here to wipe up after us!!

But that's done. I think the coaches and the whole team are good with Kawhi resting his foot. He's PROVEN himself as 100% down this year. In fact, the Clippers have played so hard and well WITHOUT him over the past 3 weeks [esp PG!!] that IMO Kawhi has no excuse to abandon what is HIS team regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

So there. :wink:
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#149 » by TrueLAfan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:39 pm

Last year we were 8-7 in the games Kawhi missed. This year, we're 11-6. That pretty much says it all. That's a 10 game swing over the course of a season. It's PG, sure--but it's also better coaching, better frontcourt play, more backcourt depth--a ton of little things. Each of those differences is worth a couple of wins in a season. Difference between Ibaka and Trezz? Two or three wins over a season. Backcourt of Bev/Rondo (combined, they've basically given us 85% of a season), Luke, Reggie (this year) and Mann (this year) vs. Bev, Sham, Reggie (last year) and McGruder? Three wins (minimum). Pg's better play? Couple of wins. Better coaching and dialogue among staff and teammates? Couple of wins.

This is literally what it means when people say "the little things matter." I wasn't a Doc hater, but it became clearer during last season that he was losing some control over the team. Lue's got that control. You can go back and forth between Trezz, who didn't miss games, and Ibaka, whose missed a third of the season--but Ibaka would stil come out ahead. Our guard rotation is so much better balanced--moderately more talented, but overall better balanced.. PG is playing 15% more with better efficiency. It's a bonus that helps us. And, come playoff time, all of that should reap some dividends. We've still got health issues, but the team foundation--even with some injuries--is stronger than last year. Just hope it's enough.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#150 » by clipperlover » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:22 pm

When we look at the loos to the Suns the other night, there is one play that stood out to me when it happened that was the final nail in the coffin. From that play on, I knew we weren't going to win because I have seen it play out too much in the NBA.

The play was our possession starting at the 7 minute mark in the 4th. We had the ball down 90-91 with our first chance since the 1st quarter to take a lead. The ball should have been worked until we got the best shot possible to secure the lead. Instead, PG throws up a bad 3 early in the shot clock. Booker then goes down and pushes the lead to 3. Rondo cuts it to 1 again with a driving layup, but then Chris Paul pushes the lead back to 3, Morris then chucks a 3, Paul scores again and then Reggie misses a 3 and Paul scores again.

3 of our 4 shots are missed threes in a two minute time frame while Phoenix scored 4 2 pt baskets and grew the lead to 7.

None of that happens if we attack the rim like Mann was doing to get us back into that game. Players that don't understand situational basketball drive me nuts. You battle all game to get the ball and a chance to take the lead and you squander it by not taking the best possible shot. Those mental lapses will kill you in the playoffs. You have to value every possession.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#151 » by playaloc916 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:50 pm

Yogi signed for the rest of the year. I can see him getting some decent minutes, maybe stealing some from Bev. Bev has been out for so long that I'm starting to think he might be expendable at this point. Yogi is a better playmaker, which I think this team can always have more of. The team should try to keep the Kawhi and PG iso's to a minimum.

So that leaves the team with a "true" point guard rotation of Rondo, Reggie, and Yogi. Between the three of them, barring injuries, I think they can hold down 48 minutes of the playmaker/floor general role.

Mann can float around between the 1-3. Kennard, maybe some spot minutes at the 2. Bev goes in when the other team has a dynamic scoring guard, like a Dame, Harden, Mitchell, or a Doncic. It's nice having so many guards, but that has really left the frontcourt rotation pretty thin. Imagine they didn't sign Boogie? We'd be seeing way more 2Pat than we would like...
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#152 » by RingColluder » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:31 pm

clipperlover wrote:When we look at the loos to the Suns the other night, there is one play that stood out to me when it happened that was the final nail in the coffin. From that play on, I knew we weren't going to win because I have seen it play out too much in the NBA.

The play was our possession starting at the 7 minute mark in the 4th. We had the ball down 90-91 with our first chance since the 1st quarter to take a lead. The ball should have been worked until we got the best shot possible to secure the lead. Instead, PG throws up a bad 3 early in the shot clock. Booker then goes down and pushes the lead to 3. Rondo cuts it to 1 again with a driving layup, but then Chris Paul pushes the lead back to 3, Morris then chucks a 3, Paul scores again and then Reggie misses a 3 and Paul scores again.

3 of our 4 shots are missed threes in a two minute time frame while Phoenix scored 4 2 pt baskets and grew the lead to 7.

None of that happens if we attack the rim like Mann was doing to get us back into that game. Players that don't understand situational basketball drive me nuts. You battle all game to get the ball and a chance to take the lead and you squander it by not taking the best possible shot. Those mental lapses will kill you in the playoffs. You have to value every possession.

I can check, bu to my knowledge it was after Rondo went out, Bad shot by Paul George, immediately Chris went at Reggie (+2), miss, Chris went back at Paul George (+3), miss, Chris went back at Paul George (+3). It was in the GT here..

I totally agree, we need to attack the rim more. That's why I love playing Mann and have been saying it for ever. Imagine had we not had Mann AND. Morris play well lsat game, it would have a blowout. Sad we have to rely on them to deliver despite them outperforming their roles..
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#153 » by RingColluder » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:33 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Last year we were 8-7 in the games Kawhi missed. This year, we're 11-6. That pretty much says it all. That's a 10 game swing over the course of a season. It's PG, sure--but it's also better coaching, better frontcourt play, more backcourt depth--a ton of little things. Each of those differences is worth a couple of wins in a season. Difference between Ibaka and Trezz? Two or three wins over a season. Backcourt of Bev/Rondo (combined, they've basically given us 85% of a season), Luke, Reggie (this year) and Mann (this year) vs. Bev, Sham, Reggie (last year) and McGruder? Three wins (minimum). Pg's better play? Couple of wins. Better coaching and dialogue among staff and teammates? Couple of wins.

This is literally what it means when people say "the little things matter." I wasn't a Doc hater, but it became clearer during last season that he was losing some control over the team. Lue's got that control. You can go back and forth between Trezz, who didn't miss games, and Ibaka, whose missed a third of the season--but Ibaka would stil come out ahead. Our guard rotation is so much better balanced--moderately more talented, but overall better balanced.. PG is playing 15% more with better efficiency. It's a bonus that helps us. And, come playoff time, all of that should reap some dividends. We've still got health issues, but the team foundation--even with some injuries--is stronger than last year. Just hope it's enough.

Why does it have to be "the difference between Ibaka and Trezz"? We could have kept Trez knowing his minimal salary he's taking w the Lakers AND had another walking 18-6 at the ready on the bench. A backcourt of Demarcus (a true center), Zu (limited offensively but helpful to others), and Trez (6th man of the year) would have been great.

Way more of a management issue than a Doc issue in terms of the the RS. Playoffs is another story, but we have yet to get there with Lue..
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,171

Post#154 » by og15 » Sat May 1, 2021 4:00 pm

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
Are you going to respond or look into my private message OG or does a no response assume it's a free for all on this board?

Also weren''t you one of those saying how the Pelicans game didn't matter and it was this Suns game that mattered? And now it's not a surprise they lost? Which is it?
Forum bickering is not on the top of my priority list, I have a wife and kids, they were my focus for most of the night while also trying to watch the game. The other stuff can wait, there's no time constraint on forum moderating unless there's some wild spammer loose.

I said the Pelicans game didn't matter? Please point me to where I said that and I will gladly recant. I do doubt you will find that post though :lol:

I certainly said that the Suns game mattered more, because it is the only way to affect their loss column. Nothing has changed.

If the Clippers beat the Pelicans and lost the Suns, the current records would be Clippers 44-20, Suns 44-18. Clippers would still be 2 games behind in losses.

If the Clippers had beaten the Suns, despite losing to the Pelicans, they would be 44-20, but the Suns would be 43-19. Of course losing both games is worse, but the statement I made was about "more important". And of course, context (let's not forget that part), the statement I made was directly in response to the assertion that the Pelicans game was particularly higher stake and of greater importance than other games.

So yes, mathematically, the Suns game was undeniably more important for the seeding race with Phoenix, that doesn't mean the Pelicans game was unimportant (hope you're looking for the post where I say that, ;) ). Nothing has changed, my statement stands as I said it, though not so much the made up version, lol

It takes 2 seconds to look into a post. So its noted you consider nothing I said in the message to be considered at all so that is highly noted for future posts I make.

And re: Pelicans. You literally spent THREE PAGES downplaying the importance of the Pelicans game compared to other games in relation to that one starting here. You want me to quote 8 of your paragraphs? :lol: :lol: Didn't think so:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2075612&start=20

You're talking mathematically and not seeing the bigger picture. The Pelicans game was a GIMEE. That's like saying a game vs. the Lakers has the exact same importance in terms of losing vs. losing a game to the Timberwolves when one game is far easier to win than another.

Again, look at your last 4 pages in that thread or just keep backtracking. Just admit it buddy. You can argue semantics all you want, you were downplaying the importance of us losing the pelicans game. That's a fact.

I have PM'd you, if you want to discuss moderating, don't derail threads, that's what PM's are for.

I would be interested in at least one quote that supports the assertion you are making. I'd say that if it is true that I said, and I quote you, "the Pelicans game didn't matter", it would be pretty evident in at least one post. One wouldn't need to quote all 8 posts (didn't even know that's how many I made), just the one it is clearly evident in. If you were able to know that I made 8 posts, it means you read all the posts I made in that thread, so if you had seen the clear example of me saying or suggesting this, you would have just quoted it.

Context is extremely important, you should go back and read the thread to remind yourself of the context, but I'll just say that you're pretty off on this one, but if you can show where I argued what you are saying, I would be interested to see it.

And no, I didn't downplay us losing the Pelicans game, what I did was argue against MartintoVaught (and you also) trying to suggest it was a more important and higher pressure game and all the other games the Clippers had been playing, seemingly to set up the opportunity to direct increased vitriol towards Paul George. MartintoVaught seemingly in order to throw extra criticism at PG suggested that he had a bad game because it was an important seeding/high pressure game, since it was an easier game to win, but George just had good games in 4 previous also important seeding games, so what's the logic in that one being MORE important then the rest of those easy games? Paul George was 4/5 in good games vs the weaker teams in an important stretch for seeding, with Kawhi out, and basically as if one is waiting for him to fail, as soon as he has a bad game, "see, THIS ONE is the important seeding game, this was the high pressure game, and look, he failed". Really though? Really?

Did any of us actually expect that the team would sweep all games vs non-contender teams with Kawhi out? Even when PG is out and Kawhi is playing, we don't expect that. We lost to the Spurs, Kings and Celtics (who were struggling) with Kawhi and no PG. We lost to Washington who was 14-20 at the time with Kawhi and no PG, and also lost to Orlando with Kawhi and no PG. New Orleans had actually given the Clippers problems already, beating them by 20 with both PG and Kawhi playing.

So no, you're WAY OFF. I was not downplaying the importance of the game, I was arguing against the attempt to value the game ABOVE all the other similar games, especially since I don't remember any chatter like that going on in the games Kawhi played without George.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#155 » by og15 » Sat May 1, 2021 8:26 pm

RingColluder wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:Last year we were 8-7 in the games Kawhi missed. This year, we're 11-6. That pretty much says it all. That's a 10 game swing over the course of a season. It's PG, sure--but it's also better coaching, better frontcourt play, more backcourt depth--a ton of little things. Each of those differences is worth a couple of wins in a season. Difference between Ibaka and Trezz? Two or three wins over a season. Backcourt of Bev/Rondo (combined, they've basically given us 85% of a season), Luke, Reggie (this year) and Mann (this year) vs. Bev, Sham, Reggie (last year) and McGruder? Three wins (minimum). Pg's better play? Couple of wins. Better coaching and dialogue among staff and teammates? Couple of wins.

Why does it have to be "the difference between Ibaka and Trezz"? We could have kept Trez knowing his minimal salary he's taking w the Lakers AND had another walking 18-6 at the ready on the bench. A backcourt of Demarcus (a true center), Zu (limited offensively but helpful to others), and Trez (6th man of the year) would have been great.

Way more of a management issue than a Doc issue in terms of the the RS. Playoffs is another story, but we have yet to get there with Lue..

Clippers hard capped at $138.9 million due to Ibaka signing.

Harrell is making $9.3 million, Clippers are about $1.4 million under the hard cap, so they would need to find $8 million of room under the hard cap to have been able to give Harrel that contract. Then we take into account that Harrell technically took a smaller salary to go to LAL, and would have been asking for more from LAC, it is probably even more.

There was no way to sign Ibaka without being hard capped. In order to sign both Ibaka and Harrell, the Clippers would have actually had to choose between Harrell and Morris, because they wouldn't be able to clear $8 million of salary which is what was needed to sign Harrell to the same contract the Lakers gave him.

Now, someone might say they could have made trades to create the cap space, but the problem is that the trades needed would be trades that don't bring any players back, so the Clippers would essentially have to just trade players for no return and handicap their depth.

Unless one can show the numbers, the decision ended up being Ibaka or Harrell since they would play a similar position. Morris was not truly in that decision as he has a different set of skills and positionality, but if one wants to include him, there was no option to have Ibaka, Morris and Harrell, one would have to go cap wise.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#156 » by RingColluder » Sat May 1, 2021 8:45 pm

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:Forum bickering is not on the top of my priority list, I have a wife and kids, they were my focus for most of the night while also trying to watch the game. The other stuff can wait, there's no time constraint on forum moderating unless there's some wild spammer loose.

I said the Pelicans game didn't matter? Please point me to where I said that and I will gladly recant. I do doubt you will find that post though :lol:

I certainly said that the Suns game mattered more, because it is the only way to affect their loss column. Nothing has changed.

If the Clippers beat the Pelicans and lost the Suns, the current records would be Clippers 44-20, Suns 44-18. Clippers would still be 2 games behind in losses.

If the Clippers had beaten the Suns, despite losing to the Pelicans, they would be 44-20, but the Suns would be 43-19. Of course losing both games is worse, but the statement I made was about "more important". And of course, context (let's not forget that part), the statement I made was directly in response to the assertion that the Pelicans game was particularly higher stake and of greater importance than other games.

So yes, mathematically, the Suns game was undeniably more important for the seeding race with Phoenix, that doesn't mean the Pelicans game was unimportant (hope you're looking for the post where I say that, ;) ). Nothing has changed, my statement stands as I said it, though not so much the made up version, lol

It takes 2 seconds to look into a post. So its noted you consider nothing I said in the message to be considered at all so that is highly noted for future posts I make.

And re: Pelicans. You literally spent THREE PAGES downplaying the importance of the Pelicans game compared to other games in relation to that one starting here. You want me to quote 8 of your paragraphs? :lol: :lol: Didn't think so:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2075612&start=20

You're talking mathematically and not seeing the bigger picture. The Pelicans game was a GIMEE. That's like saying a game vs. the Lakers has the exact same importance in terms of losing vs. losing a game to the Timberwolves when one game is far easier to win than another.

Again, look at your last 4 pages in that thread or just keep backtracking. Just admit it buddy. You can argue semantics all you want, you were downplaying the importance of us losing the pelicans game. That's a fact.

I have PM'd you, if you want to discuss moderating, don't derail threads, that's what PM's are for.

I would be interested in at least one quote that supports the assertion you are making. I'd say that if it is true that I said, and I quote you, "the Pelicans game didn't matter", it would be pretty evident in at least one post. One wouldn't need to quote all 8 posts (didn't even know that's how many I made), just the one it is clearly evident in. If you were able to know that I made 8 posts, it means you read all the posts I made in that thread, so if you had seen the clear example of me saying or suggesting this, you would have just quoted it.

Context is extremely important, you should go back and read the thread to remind yourself of the context, but I'll just say that you're pretty off on this one, but if you can show where I argued what you are saying, I would be interested to see it.

And no, I didn't downplay us losing the Pelicans game, what I did was argue against MartintoVaught (and you also) trying to suggest it was a more important and higher pressure game and all the other games the Clippers had been playing, seemingly to set up the opportunity to direct increased vitriol towards Paul George. MartintoVaught seemingly in order to throw extra criticism at PG suggested that he had a bad game because it was an important seeding/high pressure game, since it was an easier game to win, but George just had good games in 4 previous also important seeding games, so what's the logic in that one being MORE important then the rest of those easy games? Paul George was 4/5 in good games vs the weaker teams in an important stretch for seeding, with Kawhi out, and basically as if one is waiting for him to fail, as soon as he has a bad game, "see, THIS ONE is the important seeding game, this was the high pressure game, and look, he failed". Really though? Really?

Did any of us actually expect that the team would sweep all games vs non-contender teams with Kawhi out? Even when PG is out and Kawhi is playing, we don't expect that. We lost to the Spurs, Kings and Celtics (who were struggling) with Kawhi and no PG. We lost to Washington who was 14-20 at the time with Kawhi and no PG, and also lost to Orlando with Kawhi and no PG. New Orleans had actually given the Clippers problems already, beating them by 20 with both PG and Kawhi playing.

So no, you're WAY OFF. I was not downplaying the importance of the game, I was arguing against the attempt to value the game ABOVE all the other similar games, especially since I don't remember any chatter like that going on in the games Kawhi played without George.

Since this has become a pissing contest to you, I'll happily show every post:

"Every game from now on will have seeding implications, so I'm not really going to say this game has more than last game did or the next one will." (downplaying importance)

"
Why is this game a more important seeding game than the Houston game? I'm not getting how this game importance ranking is working." (downplaying importance)

Wednesday vs Phoenix is a more important seeding game, Clippers can get the Suns to 19 losses, and one loss closer to having the same as them. Playing the team or teams ahead of you in the standungs is the only guaranteed chance to give them a loss, every other game vs other teams to get a win is equally as important. (downplaying importance)

"I'm not saying it isn't important, of course, (yes you are) but the Houston game was even easier on paper (and the Wolves), so on the same reasoning those were more important than New Orleans. They pulled off the win vs Houston even though it was close, this game was not any more important than the Houston, Grizzlies, Blazers or Wolves games, that's my point. I don't like this assigning greater importance to games whenever we decide to without a consistent method.

All games against weaker teams are going to be equally as important, so PG showed up and performed for like 4 straight equally important games, then to say he doesn't show up in the important games doesn't make sense. By this standard, basically any bad game he has the rest of the season would just be narrated to be specifically important and one can say, "oh look he didn't show up in the important games".

The most important games are going to be the games against teams close in the standings because those are the only ones where the Clippers can impact giving loses to those teams, but of course those are also harder games."

"Every single loss is going to be, "the type of game that determines whether the Clippers are 1 or 3", you know what games are going determine that even more so, a game against the Suns." (downplaying importance)

" don't start making up some stuff (not you specifically, but anyone) about this game being some high pressure, specially important game in order to magnify his bad game as more than it I"

Who said the game wasn’t important? (you downplayed it this entire time) It is MartintoVaught, and you seem to be inconsistent about whether you are saying so or not, who are saying it was MORE important. Was this game more important than vs Houston, Memphis, Portland or Minnesota? If yes, please explain exactly why. If no, then Paul George played well in 4/5 important recent games, he was trash in one. Okay, that sucked, but unless one was expecting 100% consistency from him, extrapolating that into something larger makes little sense. Yes, we know he had a bad playoff last season, that has NOTHING to do with him having 1 bad game in his last who knows how many.

-- You are arguing semantics. You downplayed the importance of losing the Pelicans game that is a FACT. You are the one way off base. Carry on. This is now to the point of derailing other board conversations. You were PM'd, you've said what you wanted--drop it. Now.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#157 » by RingColluder » Sat May 1, 2021 8:47 pm

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Clippers hard capped at $138.9 million due to Ibaka signing.

Harrell is making $9.3 million, Clippers are about $1.4 million under the hard cap, so they would need to find $8 million of room under the hard cap to have been able to give Harrel that contract. Then we take into account that Harrell technically took a smaller salary to go to LAL, and would have been asking for more from LAC, it is probably even more.

There was no way to sign Ibaka without being hard capped. In order to sign both Ibaka and Harrell, the Clippers would have actually had to choose between Harrell and Morris, because they wouldn't be able to clear $8 million of salary which is what was needed to sign Harrell to the same contract the Lakers gave him.

Now, someone might say they could have made trades to create the cap space, but the problem is that the trades needed would be trades that don't bring any players back, so the Clippers would essentially have to just trade players for no return and handicap their depth.

Unless one can show the numbers, the decision ended up being Ibaka or Harrell since they would play a similar position. Morris was not truly in that decision as he has a different set of skills and positionality, but if one wants to include him, there was no option to have Ibaka, Morris and Harrell, one would have to go cap wise.

You're thinking backwards we've been over this. We didn't need to sign Kennard to that contract here making the Harrell contract possible. Morris could have even taken slightly less to get the Clippers to sign both of them. And you're making assumptions when Harrell was very offended the Clippers didn't even offer him a contract which he very would could have signed an even cheaper deal to stay in Clippers (See? I can do it too).
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#158 » by esqtvd » Sat May 1, 2021 10:06 pm

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:Now, someone might say they could have made trades to create the cap space, but the problem is that the trades needed would be trades that don't bring any players back, so the Clippers would essentially have to just trade players for no return and handicap their depth.

You're thinking backwards we've been over this. We didn't need to sign Kennard to that contract here making the Harrell contract possible. Morris could have even taken slightly less to get the Clippers to sign both of them. And you're making assumptions when Harrell was very offended the Clippers didn't even offer him a contract which he very would could have signed an even cheaper deal to stay in Clippers (See? I can do it too).

For the record--The big Kennard money doesn't kick in until next year. His $5M this year plus Pat Pat's $3M and Reggie's $2M would be the only way to add Trezz's $9M. I suppose Marcus might have taken a little less--as well as Trezz--to fit in Reggie. Or Zubac could have been traded but that opens a whole other can of worms, leaving us only with Trezz if Ibaka got injured...which he did.

But it was never a question of Kennard or Trezz and frankly I don't see how Trezz could have stayed under any circumstances anyway, for chemistry reasons AND internal team politics. Doc, Trezz and to a lesser degree Shamet and J-Myke were blamed and packed off--probably the only way to erase the stench of arguably the worst playoff collapse in Clipper history [and there have been a few, lol].
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#159 » by TrueLAfan » Sat May 1, 2021 11:38 pm

esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:Now, someone might say they could have made trades to create the cap space, but the problem is that the trades needed would be trades that don't bring any players back, so the Clippers would essentially have to just trade players for no return and handicap their depth.

For the record--The big Kennard money doesn't kick in until next year. His $5M this year plus Pat Pat's $3M and Reggie's $2M would be the only way to add Trezz's $9M. I suppose Marcus might have taken a little less--as well as Trezz--to fit in Reggie. Or Zubac could have been traded but that opens a whole other can of worms, leaving us only with Trezz if Ibaka got injured...which he did.

But it was never a question of Kennard or Trezz and frankly I don't see how Trezz could have stayed under any circumstances anyway, for chemistry reasons AND internal team politics. Doc, Trezz and to a lesser degree Shamet and J-Myke were blamed and packed off--probably the only way to erase the stench of arguably the worst playoff collapse in Clipper history [and there have been a few, lol].

This. As og15 noted, Kennard is irrelevant to the conversation. In comparing our big man rotation from last year to this year, the difference is literally comparing Ibaka and Trezz. Trezz has superior numbers. There are other factors that were regarded as minuses. I'm not particularly interested in whether a professional basketball player is offended by contract offers or a lack thereof. The team frontcourt is/was better with Ibaka.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#160 » by og15 » Sun May 2, 2021 12:14 am

esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Yup, Kennard’s extension has no impact on that situation. Like you said, sure, they could have made space for Harrell and that doesn’t just require trading those three guys, but finding a way to basically trade them with no salary returning, but it would require cutting the roster down a minimum of three players, and hard cap doesn’t give exceptions for minimum contracts, so the Clippers would simply just have a short and shallow roster.

Even if there weren’t chemistry issues and all the other problems. Harrell simply isn’t worth cutting three depth players from the roster. It would be a pretty tough sell for any management to make such a move. It’s different when teams like the Nets gut their depth for a James Harden for example, but Clippers would get pretty roasted if they had gutted their depth in order to have three C’s on their roster. People would be calling them the Knicks of old when they had the PF obsession :lol:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers