Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Re: GAME 67: Lakers (37-28) @ Clippers (44-22)—Thurday 7PM PDT 

Post#121 » by RingColluder » Sat May 8, 2021 7:33 pm

NippySudz wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
NippySudz wrote:Trezz-zu-harrell sounds horrible. That's only one defensive center In that whole line up. I'm glad trezz is gone personally but I wish he succeeded somewhere else despite what happened last year. Sucks that he's virtually unplayable in the playoffs.

Cousins is a 3rd string player, still has a great skillset but he was toying with trezz. As if he was still in all star form.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Especially in the regular season, not every game requires a defensive center, esp when Zu's offensive deficiencies are glaring at times. Let's not act like Harrell didn't save us for multiple multiple games last season in the RS with his tremendous play. Especially against a scrub team like the Lakers would have been nice to see him dominate them. 8-)
Respectfully I don't care about the regular season and I'm not saying Harrell won't have games where be looks great. Just on average, he won't be the player you are to depend on if you want to go far.

Did you forget that atlanta game last year where we were up 20+ points, even more than that to a trey young-less hawks and lost the lead and lost the game because doc refused to play Zu any time in the second half?

I agree to an extent, which is why I don't have much confidence in Kennard, Reggie, Playoff P and possibly Batum as well come playoff time until they can finally prove something in the playoffs.

I also think given the personal circumstances, it's tough to say for sure Harrell wouldn't contribute in the playoffs. Look at his series against the top Warriors team in 2019:

game 1: 11-15 26 pts (team leader)
game 2: 9-9 25 pts 10 rebounds (win)
game 3: 6-10 16 pts
game 4: 5-8 10 pts
game 5: 11-14 24 pts
game 6; 4-7 10 pts

3 fantastic games against one of the best teams of all time, pretty helpful if you ask me..
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#122 » by RingColluder » Sat May 8, 2021 9:33 pm

Also like to add Montrez''s game really suffers given how much depth the Lakers have at center AND with Anthony Davis being one of their top players, particularly with LeBron out. As with the Clippers it's all about fit. He shined with PG and Kawhi given they didn't overextend into Trez's role, and w only Zu on the team last season he was their only big with any offensive game whatsoever. Demarcus would have def. ate into his minutes this year..

Still he is missed.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,260

Post#123 » by MartinToVaught » Sat May 8, 2021 9:44 pm

RingColluder wrote:He shined with PG and Kawhi given they didn't overextend into Trez's role

See, this is the problem with Trez. He's a role player who doesn't defend, get rebounds, or show up in the playoffs, yet you were worried about our two core players "overextending" into his role, not the other way around - as if he was anywhere near good enough for Kawhi and PG to have to take a back seat to.

The only way the Trez obsession would have been justified last season was if he had somehow transformed into a Jokic-level player on offense to make up for the huge flaws in the rest of his game. Needless to say, he's not even close to Jokic and never will be.

Still he is missed.

You've been saying this all season, but I'm still just not seeing how the team is worse off without him specifically.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#124 » by RingColluder » Sat May 8, 2021 9:53 pm

RingColluder wrote:He shined with PG and Kawhi given they didn't overextend into Trez's role

See, this is the problem with Trez. He's a role player who doesn't defend, get rebounds, or show up in the playoffs, yet you were worried about our two core players "overextending" into his role, not the other way around - as if he was anywhere near good enough for Kawhi and PG to have to take a back seat to.

The only way the Trez obsession would have been justified last season was if he had somehow transformed into a Jokic-level player on offense to make up for the huge flaws in the rest of his game. Needless to say, he's not even close to Jokic and never will be.

Still he is missed.

You've been saying this all season, but I'm still just not seeing how the team is worse off without him specifically.

It has nothing to do w PG and Kawhi "overextending", it's literally their positions and game.

He was a fantastic balance for Zu, the only difference should have been a minutes adjustment in the playoffs since he wasn't on his game.

Funny how their is this massive obsession with hating on Trez and yet there has been virtual silence seeing Zu's game regress and suffer through demotions despite having a much better opportunity. A lot of the hate on his is bc for whatever reason people have this love for Zu that is unwarranted. Harrell has backed it up multiple seasons with stats and awards, Zu has not. I like Zu but you don't need to hate on Trez to make Zu look better.

And yes as stated he would have been a fantastic option to have in a 3 center rotation with Boogie and Zu. How many times have we seen the 2nd team lineup fall completely flat offensively? That's what Harrell is for especially given our roster which is a much better fit for him than the Lakers.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#125 » by MartinToVaught » Sat May 8, 2021 10:02 pm

RingColluder wrote:He was a fantastic balance for Zu, the only difference should have been a minutes adjustment in the playoffs since he wasn't on his game.

Well, no, the problem was that there was never any balance at all. Trez pretty much always played the entire fourth quarter no matter how badly we needed defense and rebounding. The minutes adjustment should have been made in October, not the playoffs.

Funny how their is this massive obsession with hating on Trez

Stating facts isn't hating.

and yet there has been virtual silence seeing Zu's game regress and suffer through demotions despite having a much better opportunity.

Zu's had his ups and downs, but his skillset is simply more valuable to the team.

And yes as stated he would have been a fantastic option to have in a 3 center rotation with Boogie and Zu. How many times have we seen the 2nd team lineup fall completely flat offensively? That's what Harrell is for especially given our roster which is a much better fit for him than the Lakers.

Offense isn't this team's main concern. Defense and clutchness are. Trez doesn't address either.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#126 » by RingColluder » Sat May 8, 2021 10:12 pm

RingColluder wrote:He was a fantastic balance for Zu, the only difference should have been a minutes adjustment in the playoffs since he wasn't on his game.

Well, no, the problem was that there was never any balance at all. Trez pretty much always played the entire fourth quarter no matter how badly we needed defense and rebounding. The minutes adjustment should have been made in October, not the playoffs.

Funny how their is this massive obsession with hating on Trez

Stating facts isn't hating.

and yet there has been virtual silence seeing Zu's game regress and suffer through demotions despite having a much better opportunity.

Zu's had his ups and downs, but his skillset is simply more valuable to the team.

Offense isn't this team's main concern. Defense and clutchness are. Trez doesn't address either.

Is someone being purposely obtuse? With Ty Lue coaching the team there would be a different minutes distribution that is separate than Doc.

It was never a "Zu" or "Harrell" decision. It was one player having an issue with Trez and therefore them not even giving him a contract which the Lakers did on a ridiculously cheap deal. And instead we got... Luke Kennard. Lucky to get Reggie and Boogie on minimum deals.

Trez isn't clutch? Please. And Zu is? You're choosing to zone in on the bubble where clearly Trez was in an awful head space (and I doubt even was in the right conditioning) over a Warriors series where he played fantastic, carried them to wins against one of the best NBA teams of all time. Offense IS a major concern on the 2nd team w Batum, Rondo, and Pat Pat. Boogie is doing a great job however, but Trez was a very valuable piece.

This convos done. Getting suckered in again..
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#127 » by MartinToVaught » Sat May 8, 2021 10:41 pm

RingColluder wrote:You're choosing to zone in on the bubble where clearly Trez was in an awful head space (and I doubt even was in the right conditioning)

It wasn't just the bubble. Some of us had been begging all season for Doc to play Zu in 4th quarters, and accurately predicting months in advance how Trez was going to lose us a playoff series. I personally wanted him traded at the deadline last year.

Trez is not a good defender, not a good rebounder, and not a dominant enough scorer to make up for it. His head space and conditioning likely contributed to his awful showing in the playoffs, but pretending that they were the full story is ignoring his flaws as a player, which were all exposed once he had to play against the actual big men that the Warriors lacked.

Also, the idea that PG ran Trez off is crap. As critical as I am of PG, he was a very convenient scapegoat for Trez's camp to use because it appealed to casual fans' and Clipper haters' confirmation bias. PG has his own playoff issues, but he wasn't the one making Boban and Jokic look like prime Shaq.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#128 » by RingColluder » Sat May 8, 2021 11:04 pm

People need to read the articles on why there were chemistry issues with the Clippers last season. The athletic had a fantastic article.

It probably belongs better in the Playoff PG thread, but basically someone was acting like they were a champion and knew exactly what to do when they have yet to prove it whatsoever..

(The full comments are in the Playoff PG thread as to not turn this GT into a discussion on the issues surrounding him)
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,924

Post#129 » by esqtvd » Sat May 8, 2021 11:10 pm

RingColluder wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
Especially in the regular season, not every game requires a defensive center, esp when Zu's offensive deficiencies are glaring at times. Let's not act like Harrell didn't save us for multiple multiple games last season in the RS with his tremendous play. Especially against a scrub team like the Lakers would have been nice to see him dominate them. 8-)
Respectfully I don't care about the regular season and I'm not saying Harrell won't have games where be looks great. Just on average, he won't be the player you are to depend on if you want to go far.

Did you forget that atlanta game last year where we were up 20+ points, even more than that to a trey young-less hawks and lost the lead and lost the game because doc refused to play Zu any time in the second half?

I agree to an extent, which is why I don't have much confidence in Kennard, Reggie, Playoff P and possibly Batum as well come playoff time until they can finally prove something in the playoffs.

I also think given the personal circumstances, it's tough to say for sure Harrell wouldn't contribute in the playoffs. Look at his series against the top Warriors team in 2019:

game 6; 4-7 10 pts

3 fantastic games against one of the best teams of all time, pretty helpful if you ask me..

Exactly. 18 ppg in the 2018-19 playoffs, 18 ppg in the 2019-20 regular season. 6MOY. All for $6M a year, one of the best bargains in the NBA.

Then his grandma died. He's still not right, and getting him right is not a priority for the Lakers. LeBron and AD have only played 39 games together, and working Schroder in and getting Kuzma right [his plus/minus has been as bad or worse than Trezz's] are priorities and now adding Drummond has mostly been a wtf too. And after getting pushed out of the rotation, Gasol is showing signs of life, so Trezz is odd man out.

He's a problematic player, whereas Zubac has continued to improve since last March while Trezz's decline has been noticeable. With his running buddy Lou on the last year of his contract and eventually traded, the decision to part ways with Trezz [even leaving out the chemistry issue with PG] was a defensible one. One of the problems with overachievers is they usually don't overachieve forever.

Whatever happened to Kenneth Faried?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/kenneth-faried-eyeing-nba-comeback/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#130 » by NippySudz » Sat May 8, 2021 11:20 pm

RingColluder wrote:People need to read the articles on why there were chemistry issues with the Clippers last season. The athletic had a fantastic article.

It probably belongs better in the Playoff PG thread, but basically someone was acting like they were a champion and knew exactly what to do when they have yet to prove it whatsoever..

(The full comments are in the Playoff PG thread as to not turn this GT into a discussion on the issues surrounding him)
That article was source by trezz who was the mole. You're taking too much from it on face value. The reality is, trezz didn't view pg as a superstar despite pg being a top 3 MVP candidate and leading the pacers to multiple conference finals.

Trezz thought He was on the level of pg. Trezz can't smell pg's jockstrap. He's not a future hofer.

NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#131 » by NippySudz » Sat May 8, 2021 11:27 pm

RingColluder wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

game 6; 4-7 10 pts

Let's hypothetically run with your scenario. You want to keep trezz based off one playoff run where the team exceeded expectations and played great. Why don't you use that logic with shamet? We should have kept shamet because he did great in 2019 as a rookie!

Look at shamet now. Shamet is not good. he's a small wing who doesn't have mass. He's been exposed now. He's not JJ Reddick and people quickly realize that.

If trezz was good for a playoff round two years ago congratulations to him. I don't see what that has to do with the west in 2021. A lot can change in 2 years.

He was making DeMarcus cousins look like boogie from the Sacramento king days. He's 6'7. He's as tall as kawhi man. Size matters at the center position. Spacing matters. Defense matters. Shooting matters!

NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 937

Post#132 » by NickP » Sat May 8, 2021 11:34 pm

Trez is seeing fewer and fewer minutes. He was a DNP against the Blazers. The Lakers got him for cheap? LMAO. The Lakers overpaid for Trez.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#133 » by NippySudz » Sat May 8, 2021 11:37 pm

esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
NippySudz wrote:Respectfully I don't care about the regular season and I'm not saying Harrell won't have games where be looks great. Just on average, he won't be the player you are to depend on if you want to go far.

game 6; 4-7 10 pts

Exactly. 18 ppg in the 2018-19 playoffs, 18 ppg in the 2019-20 regular season. 6MOY. All for $6M a year, one of the best bargains in the NBA.

Then his grandma died. He's still not right, and getting him right is not a priority for the Lakers. LeBron and AD have only played 39 games together, and working Schroder in and getting Kuzma right [his plus/minus has been as bad or worse than Trezz's] are priorities and now adding Drummond has mostly been a wtf too. And after getting pushed out of the rotation, Gasol is showing signs of life, so Trezz is odd man out.

He's a problematic player, whereas Zubac has continued to improve since last March while Trezz's decline has been noticeable. With his running buddy Lou on the last year of his contract and eventually traded, the decision to part ways with Trezz [even leaving out the chemistry issue with PG] was a defensible one. One of the problems with overachievers is they usually don't overachieve forever.

Whatever happened to Kenneth Faried?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/kenneth-faried-eyeing-nba-comeback/
Couldn't agree more. Trezz overachieved. He will not be in the NBA in the next 2-3 years. Teams need bigs that can stretch the floor or defend bigs. Trezz can't shoot, can't pass, can't defend. He's an energy player. A 6'7 version richaun Holmes or whatever his name is in the kings. No disrespect to trezz. Trezz might get you 20 points but give up 20pts.

Now the Lakers have him. Only a few Lakers are realizing trezz shortcummings. Most are blinded by the points scored.

I hope trezz stopped buying chains and getting custom sneakers and started investing cause his career is coming to an end.

RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#134 » by RingColluder » Sun May 9, 2021 3:05 am

NippySudz wrote:
RingColluder wrote:People need to read the articles on why there were chemistry issues with the Clippers last season. The athletic had a fantastic article.

That article was source by trezz who was the mole. You're taking too much from it on face value. The reality is, trezz didn't view pg as a superstar despite pg being a top 3 MVP candidate and leading the pacers to multiple conference finals.

Trezz thought He was on the level of pg. Trezz can't smell pg's jockstrap. He's not a future hofer.

This is literally based off nothing. Jovan Buha spent the entire yeah bashing Trez and praising Zubac. For all we know it could be Jamychal who left the team and chose the Nuggets over the Clippers (and is another person who didn't get along with PG) rather than Trez who wanted to come back and yet the Clippers didn't even offer him a deal.

And virtually no one in the league views PG as a "superstar" (barely passes the All star threshold today) and PG is closer to leading his team to 4 straight first round exists than the Pacers things at the start of his career.

The issue was PG acting like he's accomplished anything in the playoffs of late, and he's done nothing but flop for 5 years.

---
If people want to continue this talk they can head over to the PG thread where I posted the Athletic quote. Going off topic here.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#135 » by MartinToVaught » Sun May 9, 2021 3:26 am

RingColluder wrote:The issue was PG acting like he's accomplished anything in the playoffs of late, and he's done nothing but flop for 5 years.

You do realize that Trez is the other side of the same coin, right? Running to the media and throwing teammates under the bus like he's ever won anything in his career. He's the last person who has room to talk about PG because he's the only Clipper who was worse than PG in the playoffs last year.

I'd just love to know how he really feels about warming the bench for the Lakers. He could have had more money and probably more playing time in Charlotte, but instead he allowed Klutch Sports to ruin his career out of some weird spite for the Clippers.
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#136 » by NickP » Sun May 9, 2021 3:52 am

PG >>>>Montrash
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#137 » by esqtvd » Sun May 9, 2021 4:40 am

RingColluder wrote:
---
If people want to continue this talk they can head over to the PG thread where I posted the Athletic quote. Going off topic here.

lol turnaround is fair play

and RC's right, Buha was on the other side of the Zu-Trezz wars
J-Myke could well have been Jovan's stoolie

he certainly couldn't wait to get out of here
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,255

Post#138 » by Clemenza » Sun May 9, 2021 2:21 pm

esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
---

He was actually playing really good in the bubble but Doc sat him and continued to roll with the underperforming Trez. Of course he didn't use Noah but he also didn't use J-Myke nearly enough either. He was the perfect guy or the better guy to play at that point when things started to go downhill
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#139 » by NickP » Sun May 9, 2021 3:06 pm

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
---

He was actually playing really good in the bubble but Doc sat him and continued to roll with the underperforming Trez. Of course he didn't use Noah but he also didn't use J-Myke nearly enough either. He was the perfect guy or the better guy to play at that point when things started to go downhill

This is why Doc was fired. I don't want to keep rehashing this but Doc refused to look at analytics presented to him. He was specifically asked to bench Trez but he refused. J-Myke would be benched as soon as he began knocking shots down. It was a standing joke among us while watching the playoffs.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#140 » by esqtvd » Mon May 10, 2021 7:59 am

J-Myke got 17 mpg and averaged 6 points and 4 rebs. He was no answer either. Trezz was cut to 19 mpg and Zu was raised to over 24. Adjustments WERE made, and in Game 7, Jokic was held to 13 points. Trezz was the Clippers' leading scorer.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers