Oturu erasing shots
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: GAME 67: Lakers (37-28) @ Clippers (44-22)—Thurday 7PM PDT 

Post#82 » by esqtvd » Fri May 7, 2021 4:36 am

Kennard got some minutes
only garbage time for T-Mann

its hard to finish in the minus in a 20-point blowout but Kennard managed to do it lol
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#83 » by TheNewEra » Fri May 7, 2021 4:37 am

Mann staying engaged even though he’s on standby of the rotation
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#84 » by MartinToVaught » Fri May 7, 2021 4:38 am

Hopefully this game finally quiets the narrative that letting Trez go was a big mistake. He's just not that good - borderline unplayable on defense.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#85 » by TheNewEra » Fri May 7, 2021 4:40 am

esqtvd wrote:Kennard got some minutes

its hard to finish in the minus in a 20-point blowout but Kennard managed to do it lol

Think Lue will stick with him because this was the best the bench looked in recent games and rust after not playing a meaningful minutes in a while. Mann might get a chance if Beverly goes back to being a starter and Reggie is on the bench but for now Luke works with the spacing
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Post#86 » by Clemenza » Fri May 7, 2021 4:45 am

Outside of the turnovers good win. Everybody pretty much played well. Even though Mann didn't get in til garbage time I actually liked this rotation tonight. It worked.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#87 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri May 7, 2021 4:48 am

KL2 wrote:I don’t like Leonard’s shot attempts since he’s returned. They’re not the same looks. He’s parking in the corner too much. Hardly any screens set for him, very little work in the mid range.

Is it by design? To keep his contact minimal?

It has to be. We played bev-rondo-luke lineups in the first half that won't happen in the playoffs becuase Kawhi would be(hopefully) able to play 12 straight minutes of the 1st&3rd quarters. Ty lue mentioned that he doesn't like Kawhi with 2nd unit starting in 2nd quarter.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#88 » by esqtvd » Fri May 7, 2021 4:49 am

TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:Kennard got some minutes

Think Lue will stick with him because this was the best the bench looked in recent games and rust after not playing a meaningful minutes in a while. Mann might get a chance if Beverly goes back to being a starter and Reggie is on the bench but for now Luke works with the spacing

yah, teams have been sagging off Mann so he actually hurts the spacing

OTOH if you're losing Mann is the choice to come shake things up
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#89 » by esqtvd » Fri May 7, 2021 4:53 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:
KL2 wrote:I don’t like Leonard’s shot attempts since he’s returned. They’re not the same looks. He’s parking in the corner too much. Hardly any screens set for him, very little work in the mid range.

Is it by design? To keep his contact minimal?

It has to be. We played bev-rondo-luke lineups in the first half that won't happen in the playoffs becuase Kawhi would be(hopefully) able to play 12 straight minutes of the 1st&3rd quarters. Ty lue mentioned that he doesn't like Kawhi with 2nd unit starting in 2nd quarter.

Yes, that was in the paper today, that b/c Kawhi is still on minutes restriction, PG and Kawhi have been flip-flopped in the rotation with Kawhi going to the bench first.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#90 » by TheNewEra » Fri May 7, 2021 4:55 am

Only a few more games to go. The next 3 should be fun
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#91 » by NickP » Fri May 7, 2021 4:58 am

Kelphus wrote:That tweak of Davis' ankle looked bad, it was an awkward roll. If he is out for any length of time, even with James coming back next week, could the fLakers even drop out of the playoffs? I don't think so, it is almost mathematically impossible to drop out of the play-in group, but dropping to #7 looks quite probable. Still, not exactly the way you want to go into the playoffs. Not like I'm sad about it, but I would much rather see a healthy fLaker team get beat, because then no excuses.

Exactly. I too want to see a healthy Lakers team get beat in the playoffs and it's doable this year. Otherwise there'll be plenty of asterisks to go around.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#92 » by NickP » Fri May 7, 2021 5:19 am

MartinToVaught wrote:Hopefully this game finally quiets the narrative that letting Trez go was a big mistake. He's just not that good - borderline unplayable on defense.

It's easy to give into that narrative because points stand out to the common fan. Harrell misses most defensive assignments. He's a 6.7 minimally skilled player with no outside shot forced to play center.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#93 » by esqtvd » Fri May 7, 2021 5:20 am

TheNewEra wrote:Mann staying engaged even though he’s on standby of the rotation

Yeah, props. He's probably never gonna be starter material but T-Mann's accomplished a lot this year even if he doesn't see much burn in the playoffs. I think he's staked a claim to a long and respectable--let's say "durable"--career in the NBA. If there's no one thing he does great, he does almost everything pretty well, and his attitude and effort are unquestionable.

I was impressed too, Mr. Era--good shoutout. :clap: And the book isn't closed--T-Mann could help us win a lost game somewhere along the way to the Finals this year. :wink:

Props to fellow 2nd-rounder Trezz tonight too, who never quit and never will. An afterthought as now the Lakers' 3rd center, he put up 14/6/4 for only a minus-6 in what was pretty much an embarrassment for the Lakers. He's undersized and undertalented but he'll never be outworked. Nice to see Bev go over after the game with a big hug--probably not coincidentally ANOTHER 2nd-round overachiever.

[BTW did you notice who Trezz was animatedly chatting with when Bev came over? Daniel Oturu, a 6'8" center and a 2nd round draft pick himself... :wink:]
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#94 » by esqtvd » Fri May 7, 2021 5:28 am

NickP wrote:
Kelphus wrote:That tweak of Davis' ankle looked bad, it was an awkward roll. If he is out for any length of time, even with James coming back next week, could the fLakers even drop out of the playoffs? I don't think so, it is almost mathematically impossible to drop out of the play-in group, but dropping to #7 looks quite probable. Still, not exactly the way you want to go into the playoffs. Not like I'm sad about it, but I would much rather see a healthy fLaker team get beat, because then no excuses.

Exactly. I too want to see a healthy Lakers team get beat in the playoffs and it's doable this year. Otherwise there'll be plenty of asterisks to go around.

I'd like to beat the Evil Empire straight up too but there would be an asterisk anyway what with all their injuries and scrambling to get back up to speed.

Frankly, I think their trophy from the Mickey Mouse Invitational at Disney World last year needs an asterisk because an aged LeBron got 4 months off to rest up for the playoffs and didn't have 2 months crisscrossing America on planes and in strange hotel rooms.

These Lakers are garbage without Bron and AD is still just a gimpy Pelican without him.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by Clemenza » Fri May 7, 2021 5:29 am

I know we flipped out on those three losses in a row we just went through but on a side note the almighty Nets have now lost four in a row so we're not the only ones trying to get it right before the postseason starts up. We just have to stay the course, fight, and keep improving
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#96 » by TucsonClip » Fri May 7, 2021 6:18 am

I've always thought Mann looked at his best essentially playing the 4 in a small lineup where he is setting screens for Kawhi or PG. Short roll and he can finish or attack, then can cross match decently well in transition too. Looks like he and Kennard will be the swing men based on matchups.

Loved watching Rondo immediately notice that Trez had no shot defending Boogie on the block. He would wait for the floor to balance into an iso or a duck-in for Boogie, and fed him like five straight trips.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#97 » by clipperlover » Fri May 7, 2021 3:45 pm

esqtvd wrote:
I'd like to beat the Evil Empire straight up too but there would be an asterisk anyway what with all their injuries and scrambling to get back up to speed.

Frankly, I think their trophy from the Mickey Mouse Invitational at Disney World last year needs an asterisk because an aged LeBron got 4 months off to rest up for the playoffs and didn't have 2 months crisscrossing America on planes and in strange hotel rooms.

These Lakers are garbage without Bron and AD is still just a gimpy Pelican without him.

I agree. I also think LeBron has a point about how dumb the play-in tournament is. Last year, there were a few teams surging towards the playoffs, so the games missed from Mar-Apr would have made a difference on who made the top 8. This year, everyone knew there was a condensed schedule and could manage their games and rosters accordingly. No reason to reward a couple of teams this year when there is no question mark.

The way most rosters are built, any team would be struggling without their top two players. We experienced that with the Lob City Clippers. So, i won't take away from the Lakers there. No asterisks because of injury though. Lakers made a conscious choice in their roster decisions and Father time was always going to catch up to Lebron.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#98 » by clipperlover » Fri May 7, 2021 3:48 pm

TucsonClip wrote:I've always thought Mann looked at his best essentially playing the 4 in a small lineup where he is setting screens for Kawhi or PG. Short roll and he can finish or attack, then can cross match decently well in transition too. Looks like he and Kennard will be the swing men based on matchups.

Loved watching Rondo immediately notice that Trez had no shot defending Boogie on the block. He would wait for the floor to balance into an iso or a duck-in for Boogie, and fed him like five straight trips.

Boogie abused him. This is why last year's Clippers made a huge mistake before the season started when they didn't sign Dwight Howard. Not only would they have helped themselves get around Harrell's limitations, but they would have prevented the Lakers from getting him.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#99 » by NippySudz » Fri May 7, 2021 4:42 pm

Read on Twitter

I'm not gonna lie, I kinda feel sorry for trezz. He's being abused ever since last year. I'm not sure what he can do to add more to his game. His defense can't be better overnight and he can't play against similar size forwards or guards because they have the speed factor.

I thought Vogel would use him more efficiently, but trezz might not be long for the league. I can't see him being around for more than 2 more years.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by Clemenza » Fri May 7, 2021 7:01 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm not gonna lie, I kinda feel sorry for trezz. He's being abused ever since last year. I'm not sure what he can do to add more to his game. His defense can't be better overnight and he can't play against similar size forwards or guards because they have the speed factor.

I thought Vogel would use him more efficiently, but trezz might not be long for the league. I can't see him being around for more than 2 more years.

Also he doesn't have Doc in his corner anymore who was arguably his biggest fan. Doc created the Lou/Trez combo, made it the highlight of the team, and pretty much rode it til the wheels fell off. Lou found a new lifeline in ATL where he was back home and is on a team that was desperate for a guy to put up points on the second unit and basically found another place where he can shoot at will. Trez's support system is completely gone while he's on the Lakers. Bron will abandon a player in a minute if things so south. Klutch steered him down the wrong road. Charlotte was the proper move for him

Return to Los Angeles Clippers