ImageImageImageImageImage

GAME 68: Knicks (37-30) at Clippers (45-22)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Re: GAME 68: Knicks (37-30) at Clippers (45-22) 

Post#41 » by RingColluder » Sun May 9, 2021 10:46 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
PG isn't the problem so far today. Your "second option" Morris has been awful all game. We're also not playing any defense at all.

Yeah 1 game where Morris had an off game compared to other 8 he shoots amazingly from 3.

Paul George is a problem. He cant be the primary ball handler, he cant be the guy to take the ball up the court. He holds it far to long, everyone stands the **** around, and this happens a lot. Then he shoves a bad pass to someone at the last second. Its just terrible offense, no flow

THANK YOU!!!! I could not agree with this anymore. How does Ty Lue not see this?!?!
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#42 » by RingColluder » Sun May 9, 2021 10:47 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:Bad coaching, no enthusiam, Reggie Jackson strugging to dribble the ball against good defense, Paul George not good in the clutch, and kawhi looks off. Morris tanked today. This composition of a roster is not winning an NBA championship. Gotta trade Paul George in the offseason and revamp the roster. Maybe Beal for George

Exactly all of this. Kawhi was off. Morris played horrible. Paul George once again as usual did absolutely nothing in the 4th which is a joke as a max player. This roster is ALL OFF.

We needed to sign a playmaker guard to play with Kawhi, not someone at the same position with an ego and no clutch gene.

Trade PG for a real guard next season IF Kawhi even stays. I have my doubts..

Exactly, need to write down every max guard in the league and decide who would be the best fit with Kawhi, if Kawhi stays. Beverly aint it. Rondo is nice but old and needs to be played 20 minutes a game. the PG/Kawhi experiment aint it. I said it when it happened, SGA was a way better fit.

I totally agree. In many ways it's far worse to latch all your hopes onto one max player who is an awful for Kawhi than it is to spread out that salary around 2-3 guys that work for HIM. Terrible idea.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#43 » by TheNewEra » Mon May 10, 2021 12:14 am

I see some people are upset
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Post#44 » by Clemenza » Mon May 10, 2021 12:22 am

Yet another sh*tty 12:30pm performance.. What else is new.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#45 » by MartinToVaught » Mon May 10, 2021 12:39 am

Clemenza wrote:Yet another sh*tty 12:30pm performance.. What else is new.

It was an early game for the Knicks too, and they were on the road. They still played hard.

We're stuck with these early games as long as we're still at Staples. The excuses for consistently mailing them in don't fly with me.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#46 » by Kelphus » Mon May 10, 2021 1:59 am

Why is everybody getting on PG13? His numbers were actually better than Kawhi's.... 40% shooting compared to Leonard's 34.6% shooting. PG13 had 8 boards to Leonard's 4. 4 assists to Leonard's 3. Only area Leonard looked better was in turnovers - had 1 to George's 2 TO's.

Interesting to see the minutes distribution - only 9 players, six were DNP's (not counting Ibaka of course). If Lue thought this was a playoff prep game, (Leonard 36 minutes, George 41), the results sure were disappointing.

Cousins had the best line of the team with only 16 minutes.
Is Pat Bev still on a minutes restriction? With 3 points (1 of 4 shooting) in 16 minutes, maybe he doesn't deserve even that much time on the court.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#47 » by NickP » Mon May 10, 2021 2:43 am

This is a very bad loss and I get the frustration here. If I were Lue I'd now start Bev. I'll use Reggie strictly as a shooting guard as someone who will attack the rim. I don't like Reggie as a PG. I understand Lue is trying to figure out a rotation so I'll give him a break but the team as a whole needs to come out of this coma.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#48 » by RingColluder » Mon May 10, 2021 2:45 am

Kelphus wrote:Why is everybody getting on PG13? His numbers were actually better than Kawhi's.... 40% shooting compared to Leonard's 34.6% shooting. PG13 had 8 boards to Leonard's 4. 4 assists to Leonard's 3. Only area Leonard looked better was in turnovers - had 1 to George's 2 TO's.

Interesting to see the minutes distribution - only 9 players, six were DNP's (not counting Ibaka of course). If Lue thought this was a playoff prep game, (Leonard 36 minutes, George 41), the results sure were disappointing.

Is Pat Bev still on a minutes restriction? With 3 points (1 of 4 shooting) in 16 minutes, maybe he doesn't deserve even that much time on the court.

That's great, what did he do in the 4th when it mattered?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Clemenza » Mon May 10, 2021 5:26 am

Kelphus wrote:Why is everybody getting on PG13? His numbers were actually better than Kawhi's.... 40% shooting compared to Leonard's 34.6% shooting. PG13 had 8 boards to Leonard's 4. 4 assists to Leonard's 3. Only area Leonard looked better was in turnovers - had 1 to George's 2 TO's.

You must have not been on here in a while. PG is the blame for everything these days. I wouldn't be surprised if some felt that he's the reason we had the Covid outbreak in 2020 tbh.

-on a side note, Mann and Kennard should've gotten some minutes in this one. Would've especially liked to have seen Mann on Rose to at least slow him down a bit
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#50 » by NickP » Mon May 10, 2021 5:44 am

Clemenza wrote:

You must have not been on here in a while. PG is the blame for everything these days. I wouldn't be surprised if some felt that he's the reason we had the Covid outbreak in 2020 tbh.

-on a side note, Mann and Kennard should've gotten some minutes in this one. Would've especially liked to have seen Mann on Rose to at least slow him down a bit

Actually it is rumored that PG was in China early 2020. I can't confirm it but you never know with these rumors. :lol:
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#51 » by esqtvd » Mon May 10, 2021 8:10 am

Our 3rd-highest paid player remains my whipping boy. 7 points, by far a team-worst minus-20. You gotta step up and make a difference SOMETIME, not just ride the cart game after game.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#52 » by RingColluder » Mon May 10, 2021 8:35 am

esqtvd wrote:Our 3rd-highest paid player remains my whipping boy. 7 points, by far a team-worst minus-20. You gotta step up and make a difference SOMETIME, not just ride the cart game after game.

You mean the 3rd higher player who's been a DNP-CD over and over again? That one?

Or the guy who constantly has to take spot up 3's when whoever our playmaker PG is throws him the ball with 3 seconds left in the shot clock? Same guy shooting 47% from 3 on 13.5 pts a game when with more shots he could be averaging 20 a game?

He had a bad game, happens. There is a massive difference between someone making 14-15$ a year and someone making $35 million a year.

Based on his last 10 games and general averages, I'll take the easy 6-12, 18-20pts, 3-5 from 3PT and 6 rebounds EVERY DAY of the week along with some fantastic defense given the limited opportunities his role gives him. How is he supposed to in general do more when you have people shooting the ball 20+ times a game and in control of the ball for most of the possessions? Explain that?
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#53 » by TrueLAfan » Mon May 10, 2021 1:25 pm

Look, at a certain point, we have stop micro focusing on PG. He played a lousy game when it mattered! Wait--he played good game, but he had a lousy quarter! I mean, keep this in context guys.

I posted most of this in the PG thread, but this is the deal: Last night PG had 4 points in the fourth. He was 2-5, with 2 rebounds and an assist. It’s not great, but the bigger team issue is overall perimeter/backcourt play. We had 26 points in the fourth and played decent D (the Knicks shot under 43% for the quarter). The issue that I saw—and this was kind of problem throughout the game—is that we were standing around. It was worse in the 4th. Consider this: Marcus barely played in the fourth. Our lineup was basically Rondo, Reggie, and PG (Reggie and PG played all 12 minutes; Rondo played 11) with DeMarcus and Kawhi. Rondo, Reggie, and PG took a total of 8 shots in the quarter. I get that Reggie and Rondo were 0-3—but somebody on the perimeter needed to get the ball and shoot. That’s not as much on the guards as shooters as it is on coaching and playmaking. Getting 4 points in a quarter out of your backcourt is unacceptable—but PG was 2-5, which isn’t miserable. He just didn’t shoot. And if you don’t want PG handling the ball, you need him catching and shooting the ball—which means the ball needs to go to him. The same is true of Reggie. Instead—almost no shots, almost no assists (other than Rondo), and no FTA.

My concern is the stagnant offense, even with Rondo. In one sense, he did his job. Kawhi got ball and scored in the fourth. So did Boogie. But you need to move the ball around more. Like I said, PG and Reggie played the entire quarter--and had 2 assists combined, and FTA. Something is just wrong there--and not not necessarily with the players. (Seriously--stop and think about it. If Reggie isn't shooting or passing, the ball isn't ion his hands. Period.) PG definitely could have played better, but this is a case where his mediocre night has more to do with factors outside his control to some extent. I just don’t think it‘s that had to deliver the ball to perimeter players more often—or plan to—and try harder to draw fouls. That’s on PG—but its also kind of on everybody.
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#54 » by NickP » Mon May 10, 2021 1:38 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Look, at a certain point, we have stop micro focusing on PG. He played a lousy game when it mattered! Wait--he played good game, but he had a lousy quarter! I mean, keep this in context guys.

I posted most of this in the PG thread, but this is the deal: Last night PG had 4 points in the fourth. He was 2-5, with 2 rebounds and an assist. It’s not great, but the bigger team issue is overall perimeter/backcourt play. We had 26 points in the fourth and played decent D (the Knicks shot under 43% for the quarter). The issue that I saw—and this was kind of problem throughout the game—is that we were standing around. It was worse in the 4th. Consider this: Marcus barely played in the fourth. Our lineup was basically Rondo, Reggie, and PG (Reggie and PG played all 12 minutes; Rondo played 11) with DeMarcus and Kawhi. Rondo, Reggie, and PG took a total of 8 shots in the quarter. I get that Reggie and Rondo were 0-3—but somebody on the perimeter needed to get the ball and shoot. That’s not as much on the guards as shooters as it is on coaching and playmaking. Getting 4 points in a quarter out of your backcourt is unacceptable—but PG was 2-5, which isn’t miserable. He just didn’t shoot. And if you don’t want PG handling the ball, you need him catching and shooting the ball—which means the ball needs to go to him. The same is true of Reggie. Instead—almost no shots, almost no assists (other than Rondo), and no FTA.

My concern is the stagnant offense, even with Rondo. In one sense, he did his job. Kawhi got ball and scored in the fourth. So did Boogie. But you need to move the ball around more. Like I said, PG and Reggie played the entire quarter--and had 2 assists combined, and FTA. Something is just wrong there--and not not necessarily with the players. (Seriously--stop and think about it. If Reggie isn't shooting or passing, the ball isn't ion his hands. Period.) PG definitely could have played better, but this is a case where his mediocre night has more to do with factors outside his control to some extent. I just don’t think it‘s that had to deliver the ball to perimeter players more often—or plan to—and try harder to draw fouls. That’s on PG—but its also kind of on everybody.

Your post makes so much sense but why make sense when the goal is PG bashing? Non stop? What can be done about one poster going insane about PG EVERY GAME THREAD?
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#55 » by flow » Mon May 10, 2021 1:38 pm

SK21209 wrote:3 seed is still in our hands, we’re 1 game up with 4 to play, 3 of which are against teams openly tanking.

I’m fine with keeping the starting lineup as-is, but I’d like to see the second half rotation altered to have Rondo play with Kawhi+PG more and the bench unit less.

I'm pretty sure you will in the playoffs. They didn't pull that trade to have him play with the back-ups.

Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Clemenza » Mon May 10, 2021 3:15 pm

NickP wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:Look, at a certain point, we have stop micro focusing on PG. He played a lousy game when it mattered! Wait--he played good game, but he had a lousy quarter! I mean, keep this in context guys.

Your post makes so much sense but why make sense when the goal is PG bashing? Non stop? What can be done about one poster going insane about PG EVERY GAME THREAD?

Well all the people contributing to the "new thread" made about him isn't helping that's for sure.
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#57 » by NickP » Mon May 10, 2021 3:38 pm

Clemenza wrote:
NickP wrote:

Well all the people contributing to the "new thread" made about him isn't helping that's for sure.

The new PG bashing thread is ridiculous.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#58 » by TrueLAfan » Mon May 10, 2021 4:33 pm

No, the PG "bashing" thread isn't ridiculous. There are people that clearly think PG is the main/only issue with the Clippers success. Some people agree more, some people agree less, some don't agree at all. The reason the thread is there is to contain repetitive commentary. If you want to complain about how PG played against the Knicks in two or three game posts--go ahead. If you go beyond that, or keep talking about seasonal issues--go to the PG thread.

And let's try and avoid personal attacks. Occasional posts that indicate eye-rolling are understandable, but try to keep them to one per thread.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,187

Post#59 » by og15 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:14 pm

Clemenza wrote:
NickP wrote:

Nah, let's let that thread be, it's keeping the constant excessive PG analysis and derailing into PG only discussion out of the game threads. That's its purpose and it is fulfilling its purpose, maybe not perfectly, but adequately.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#60 » by RingColluder » Mon May 10, 2021 8:29 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:No, the PG "bashing" thread isn't ridiculous. There are people that clearly think PG is the main/only issue with the Clippers success. Some people agree more, some people agree less, some don't agree at all. The reason the thread is there is to contain repetitive commentary. If you want to complain about how PG played against the Knicks in two or three game posts--go ahead. If you go beyond that, or keep talking about seasonal issues--go to the PG thread.

And let's try and avoid personal attacks. Occasional posts that indicate eye-rolling are understandable, but try to keep them to one per thread.

Re: PG bashing, thank you very much. As evidenced by the thread discussion is possible without personal attacks and baiting.

"Going insane"??

This is about the 5th warning that poster has had. At some point there need to be repercussions Mod. This is getting ridiculous... I have bitten my tongue about 8 times, and 8 times posts have come and gone without as much as a stronger sign to STOP other than a "warning" .

Return to Los Angeles Clippers