ImageImageImageImageImage

ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan, QRich3

wakelaunch1
Sophomore
Posts: 103
And1: 31
Joined: May 02, 2021

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#221 » by wakelaunch1 » Wed May 26, 2021 4:41 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Also, can we stop talking about the Mav's shooting as if it is luck? Can we stop just posting their percentages as if they're lucky and no team ever gets this hot.

They're NBAers who are wide open and playing as "underdogs" that the whole NBA world actually wants to see win. Their shots are gonna rip the net when they are open. This is not a hard concept.

It is not their shooting. It is our defense.

it's not luck- but you can't expect Doncic and Porzingis to keep hitting 35 footers or for Porzingis to hit 2 three pointers that both all over the rim. On the other hand, you can't expect them to miss so many free throws either.

The Clippers need to somehow try to loosen up and start raining some 3s of their own- particularly Morris, PG, Beverley and Kawhi.

Also- try at all costs not to switch on screens. I know sometimes you have to, but at least try very hard not to.


Its embarrassing watching the Clippers play defense. Its a total **** show. Paul George cant guard anyone. Reggie Jackson cant guard anyone. Morris cant guard anyone. Zubac cant guard anyone. Batum cant guard one on one. They all lack lateral quickness and the ability to react without fouling. You have to stay in front of the guy. They cant. Its abusive to watch. Switching automatically is pointless. PG and Kawhi fall off immediately and leave a lamb to the slaughter with Luka. I dont know how many times I saw Zubac end up being the primary defender on every possession. Lue might be a top 5 worst head coach in the league. He is better as an assistant cause it seems he is better at massaging egos vs. actually designing plays and running a defense.

This is team is a train wreck. They decided to run back basically the same team after seeing all the faults from last year blaming it on the bubble which wasnt real. It was that they arent a good mix of players together. Add in Paul George is vastly overrated in every facet of his game. IQ, defense, handles, 3 point shooting, and playmaking. PG needs to play with someone like Chris Paul or Lebron who will tell him exactly what to do and where to be. Hold him accountable. Also he needs to be the 3rd best player on a playoff team.
playaloc916
Analyst
Posts: 3,601
And1: 958
Joined: Jul 28, 2006
 

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#222 » by playaloc916 » Wed May 26, 2021 4:43 pm

The biggest thing for me was the defense. The team can't win by just trying to outscore the Mavs without playing any defense. We're at a disadvantage in that department. For whatever reason, all players outside of Kawhi and PG can't be relied on to be the third guy to help score. Reggie so far is kind of the one in that role, because Morris is straight up shook. The team needs one or two others to step up and reliably chip in with ~15 points.

So far the Mavs have shot 50/48 and 59/53, while the Clips have shot 44/28 and 54/39. People were saying Mavs shooting should hopefully cool down from game 1, but instead it actually got even better in game 2. To put things into perspective, during the RS Mavs shot 47/36, and Clips shot 48/41. So the Mavs are shooting WELL above their RS stats, particularly from 3, while Clips are somewhere near their average, but WELL below the RS in 3 point %, which was supposed to be the team's claim to fame.

But I think the difference in defensive intensity between the two teams is very clear. Every time I see a Mavs player shooting a three, it seems like it's either wide open, or not contested very well. On the other hand, I always seem to see PG chucking up a 3 over two defenders, or Morris dribble around and then hoist up a last second 3 over a defender. These are not the shots to be taking. Every once in awhile, the team decides to pass more than once during a possession, and it leads to a nice wide open corner 3 for Reggie or Batum. Why the team can't do more of that is beyond me.

At this point I'm expecting Mavs in 5, or max in 6. They've figured out the blueprint on how to dismantle this team, and they are following it to a tee. They're basically on auto mode. Run the same play over and over again with Luka at the top of the key, get a switch, and then he just attacks the weakest link.

Maybe the shouting match between Rondo and Ibaka can light a fire under these guys, but at this point, I'm not holding my breath.
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 8,789
And1: 4,129
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#223 » by madmaxmedia » Wed May 26, 2021 4:49 pm

There is definitely some variance involved. But there’s a reason why teams do pregame layup lines to warm up, it felt like we were giving the Mavericks layup lines in the 4th quarter.

If they shot decently at the free throw line it might have turned into a route. So that evened it out a bit.

Luka went a little 3 happy at the very end, but man the ability to create 3’s on ball with those step backs is so dangerous. For all our 3 point shooting success this season, none of our guys are able to do that.
User avatar
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,565
And1: 1,516
Joined: Mar 31, 2014
 

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#224 » by Max Headrom » Wed May 26, 2021 5:22 pm

The Mavs are shooting 15 for 25 on off the dribble 3's so far in the series
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 38,907
And1: 18,472
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#225 » by og15 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:26 pm

playaloc916 wrote:The biggest thing for me was the defense. The team can't win by just trying to outscore the Mavs without playing any defense. We're at a disadvantage in that department. For whatever reason, all players outside of Kawhi and PG can't be relied on to be the third guy to help score. Reggie so far is kind of the one in that role, because Morris is straight up shook. The team needs one or two others to step up and reliably chip in with ~15 points.

So far the Mavs have shot 50/48 and 59/53, while the Clips have shot 44/28 and 54/39. People were saying Mavs shooting should hopefully cool down from game 1, but instead it actually got even better in game 2. To put things into perspective, during the RS Mavs shot 47/36, and Clips shot 48/41. So the Mavs are shooting WELL above their RS stats, particularly from 3, while Clips are somewhere near their average, but WELL below the RS in 3 point %, which was supposed to be the team's claim to fame.

But I think the difference in defensive intensity between the two teams is very clear. Every time I see a Mavs player shooting a three, it seems like it's either wide open, or not contested very well. On the other hand, I always seem to see PG chucking up a 3 over two defenders, or Morris dribble around and then hoist up a last second 3 over a defender. These are not the shots to be taking. Every once in awhile, the team decides to pass more than once during a possession, and it leads to a nice wide open corner 3 for Reggie or Batum. Why the team can't do more of that is beyond me.

At this point I'm expecting Mavs in 5, or max in 6. They've figured out the blueprint on how to dismantle this team, and they are following it to a tee. They're basically on auto mode. Run the same play over and over again with Luka at the top of the key, get a switch, and then he just attacks the weakest link.

Maybe the shouting match between Rondo and Ibaka can light a fire under these guys, but at this point, I'm not holding my breath.

The additional sad part is that the Clippers have created open three's, they actually shot pretty well last game, it's just that the Mavs shot 50%+ again so pretty good is not good enough of you don't make any stops.

Game 1 they even had more open three's than the Mavs, but they bricked too many. Mainly Jackson and Morris who had maybe 1-2 contested three's total out of their 9 attempts and they made 0.

The Mavs with the exact same looks as the Clippers based on the shooting in the first two games would still be vastly out-shooting them. They are just in a rythmn and the Clippers need to get them out of it, because hoping the get out of it can get you down 3-0, and it doesn't matter so much if they are off in game 4 and 5 and even 6, beating them 4 in a row and expecting them to be cold/colder for 4 in a row while your own offense maintains isn't how it works.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
Posts: 7,741
And1: 837
Joined: Apr 11, 2001

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#226 » by TrueLAfan » Wed May 26, 2021 5:43 pm

Max Headrom wrote:The Mavs are shooting 15 for 25 on off the dribble 3's so far in the series


madmaxmedia wrote:There is definitely some variance involved. But there’s a reason why teams do pregame layup lines to warm up, it felt like we were giving the Mavericks layup lines in the 4th quarter.

If they shot decently at the free throw line it might have turned into a route. So that evened it out a bit.

Luka went a little 3 happy at the very end, but man the ability to create 3’s on ball with those step backs is so dangerous. For all our 3 point shooting success this season, none of our guys are able to do that.


I think we actually ought to be playing zone a little more. It was something Doc liked to do; that "flex zone" covered some of the defensive issues with Trezz and Lou. If you've got a great shooting team, it can get ugly really fast. But it forces opposing players to move more without the ball and catch and shoot more quickly. And, contrary to what this series is showing, Dallas is not some sort of elite perimeter shooting team and they don't shoot a lot of FTs. What they do (well) is get lesser contested two pointers, which they convert. They break down defenses--primarily man defenses, to get those looks. Run a box and 1 at them, or even a two and three. Just do it sometimes--enough to throw them off. We've got enough depth and wingspan to do this more frequently than we do; it would help disrupt things. Right now, they're in a groove.
Image
UnFadeable21
Starter
Posts: 2,300
And1: 638
Joined: Mar 30, 2019

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#227 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:44 pm

clipperlover wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

What is going on? Lol

Ty Lue needs to completely switch the lineup for the series or it’s over

Rondo
Pg13
Kawhi
Morris
Ibaka


Replace Morris with Batum and we may have something. Morris was just terrible. Kawhi and PG could both handle the defensive assignment for Luka. However, it is asking a lot of them to take on the defensive tasks, handle the rebounding AND carry the offensive load.

This team needs to get better between the ears. Kawhi took a three late in the 4th when we were down 7 with over 3 minutes to go. Then down 9 about a minute later, he drove to the hoop for a dunk. We didn't need the 3, we needed a bucket. Cutting the lead to 5 makes the game more manageable. We were attacking the hoop in the 1st quarter and got away from it. We had 20 FTs in the game and 11 of them came in the 1st qtr. Not capitalizing on our early 3rd Qtr bonus situation was inexcusable.

That said it is very difficult to win a game when the opponent shoots as many 3s as the Mavs AND hits over 50% on them.

Agreed on Batum over Morris because Morris has been a abysmal with the idiotic fouls
NickP
Senior
Posts: 617
And1: 353
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#228 » by NickP » Wed May 26, 2021 6:57 pm

We can only hope that the coaching staff watches a lot of film and makes the necessary adjustments. I hope the players communicate better and execute. The wait till Friday is going to be excruciatingly painful. I'm hoping the team takes these loses to heart and comes back and takes the next 2.
uscClipsfan
Freshman
Posts: 57
And1: 64
Joined: May 16, 2018
 

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#229 » by uscClipsfan » Wed May 26, 2021 7:43 pm

Hate being a negative nancy but we had a 3 day break after we got whooped in Game 1 and we still rolled out the same 'ol lineup and had the same issues/mistakes yesterday. Not confident in our coaching making the adjustments necessary to make this competitive even tho that is why we made this coaching change. I know Ballmer must be furious as hell. Ty needs to bench Bev and start Mann or Rondo - why TF waste Rondo's minutes if not to get clean looks for PG and Kawhi and take the ball handling duties away from them?! Mook has been awful and looks ill prepared - he also should be benched or playing less minutes. Zu, love the dude but obviously has been terrible, looks lost on both ends, and is not a fit in this series since all of the Mavs bigs can stretch the floor with their shooting.

Time and time again our guys have proven to be mental midgets (besides Kawhi of course). Sans coaching, it's up to them to take on the defensive challenge. I like what was mentioned about playing more zone - but this is only possible with communication. Bev supposed to be our vocal leader but unfortunately he doesnt have the talent to be a threat and looks like he has regressed defensively. I really really hope Mann get's a look - he plays with the energy and heart to match Kawhi and I think he can be the difference maker with his length. Mavs are playing with supreme confidence and most of our guys are playing like puppies. You can see it in the body language of the press conferences - THJ out there all relaxed talking like he's the first seed and we the 8th. Still got hope we turn it around as these games have been close..
NickP
Senior
Posts: 617
And1: 353
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#230 » by NickP » Wed May 26, 2021 7:50 pm

uscClipsfan wrote:Hate being a negative nancy but we had a 3 day break after we got whooped in Game 1 and we still rolled out the same 'ol lineup and had the same issues/mistakes yesterday. Not confident in our coaching making the adjustments necessary to make this competitive even tho that is why we made this coaching change. I know Ballmer must be furious as hell. Ty needs to bench Bev and start Mann or Rondo - why TF waste Rondo's minutes if not to get clean looks for PG and Kawhi and take the ball handling duties away from them?! Mook has been awful and looks ill prepared - he also should be benched or playing less minutes. Zu, love the dude but obviously has been terrible, looks lost on both ends, and is not a fit in this series since all of the Mavs bigs can stretch the floor with their shooting.

Time and time again our guys have proven to be mental midgets (besides Kawhi of course). Sans coaching, it's up to them to take on the defensive challenge. I like what was mentioned about playing more zone - but this is only possible with communication. Bev supposed to be our vocal leader but unfortunately he doesnt have the talent to be a threat and looks like he has regressed defensively. I really really hope Mann get's a look - he plays with the energy and heart to match Kawhi and I think he can be the difference maker with his length. Mavs are playing with supreme confidence and most of our guys are playing like puppies. You can see it in the body language of the press conferences - THJ out there all relaxed talking like he's the first seed and we the 8th. Still got hope we turn it around as these games have been close..

Exactly what a lot of us have been saying here. Bev is done. If Lue doesn't go with Mann then Lue should be done too. Rondo needs time on the floor with both Kawhi and PG. Period.
Scoundreldays
Junior
Posts: 346
And1: 182
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#231 » by Scoundreldays » Wed May 26, 2021 10:02 pm

If Ibaka is truly still injured, would it better to go with Cousins or go small? This is not Zubac's series, I hate saying that because he is a hard worker but it's the truth.
tamaraw08
Pro Prospect
Posts: 921
And1: 219
Joined: Feb 13, 2019
     

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#232 » by tamaraw08 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:05 pm

Relax guys, Dallas shooters will ALL GO COLD next game. Kawhi and PG will tag team and defend Luca, it'll be tied by end of game 4.
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 12,146
And1: 14,831
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#233 » by MartinToVaught » Wed May 26, 2021 10:37 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:Relax guys, Dallas shooters will ALL GO COLD next game. Kawhi and PG will tag team and defend Luca, it'll be tied by end of game 4.

This is the Clippers. Dallas shooters will ALL SHOOT 100% next game. Zubac and PatBev will tag team and defend Luka, it'll be over by halftime of game 3.
Image
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 15,197
And1: 4,522
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

NO LEVEL OF CONCERN 

Post#234 » by Quake Griffin » Wed May 26, 2021 10:40 pm

Game 3 SHOULD BE the most loose this team has played all year. In many ways, losing the first 2 at home is just like losing the series. If this team can't just let it rip on Friday, then they are more mentally **** than I already thought.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
GTR11
Head Coach
Posts: 6,186
And1: 1,469
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#235 » by GTR11 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:41 pm

https://youtu.be/b8LvmQe3mqE

In this video, main thing he didnt point out is that Lue is a LBJ tool. Y'all can speculate on whatever narrative you like, till that bum azz HC, expect this team to struggle.
Clemenza
Analyst
Posts: 3,529
And1: 2,570
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: California
   

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#236 » by Clemenza » Thu May 27, 2021 1:30 am

When you think about it, we have a lot of players on the back ends of their careers and that's a huge part of the problem we're witnessing now. Pat Bev, Reggie, Ibaka, Rondo, Pat Patterson, Cousins(via injuries). Even PG & Kawhi are getting up in age and both had come back from significant injuries. That's where youth and young talent come into play. First rounders like JRob and Kabengele not panning out has come back to bite us in the ass. SGA traded. Passed on MPJ. Kennard with two DNP's in two playoff games. Mann glued to the bench in favor of a washed Pat Bev who can no longer even play defense is a travesty. You might can get away with that stuff in the regular season but it gets exposed in the playoffs. Player development and Youth to add to the vets is a real necessity and vital in the league and we've neglected this for so long that its caught up to us big time. Where's that young big or point guard that we've developed over the last two years at? Nowhere to be found

Its time to play Mann and Kennard. Hell have Coffey and Jay Scrubb ready to go just in case. I'm basically over this NBA standard "Vets only for the postseason" sh*t especially when it pertains to our team. Play the kids and find a spark somewhere. If we don't win Friday this series is over with.
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 6,670
And1: 1,783
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#237 » by esqtvd » Thu May 27, 2021 5:36 am

Clemenza wrote:When you think about it, we have a lot of players on the back ends of their careers and that's a huge part of the problem we're witnessing now. Pat Bev, Reggie, Ibaka, Rondo, Pat Patterson, Cousins(via injuries). Even PG & Kawhi are getting up in age and both had come back from significant injuries. That's where youth and young talent come into play. First rounders like JRob and Kabengele not panning out has come back to bite us in the ass. SGA traded. Passed on MPJ. Kennard with two DNP's in two playoff games. Mann glued to the bench in favor of a washed Pat Bev who can no longer even play defense is a travesty. You might can get away with that stuff in the regular season but it gets exposed in the playoffs. Player development and Youth to add to the vets is a real necessity and vital in the league and we've neglected this for so long that its caught up to us big time. Where's that young big or point guard that we've developed over the last two years at? Nowhere to be found

Its time to play Mann and Kennard. Hell have Coffey and Jay Scrubb ready to go just in case. I'm basically over this NBA standard "Vets only for the postseason" sh*t especially when it pertains to our team. Play the kids and find a spark somewhere. If we don't win Friday this series is over with.


panic button
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 15,197
And1: 4,522
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#238 » by Quake Griffin » Thu May 27, 2021 11:00 am

Clemenza wrote:When you think about it, we have a lot of players on the back ends of their careers and that's a huge part of the problem we're witnessing now. Pat Bev, Reggie, Ibaka, Rondo, Pat Patterson, Cousins(via injuries). Even PG & Kawhi are getting up in age and both had come back from significant injuries. That's where youth and young talent come into play. First rounders like JRob and Kabengele not panning out has come back to bite us in the ass. SGA traded. Passed on MPJ. Kennard with two DNP's in two playoff games. Mann glued to the bench in favor of a washed Pat Bev who can no longer even play defense is a travesty. You might can get away with that stuff in the regular season but it gets exposed in the playoffs. Player development and Youth to add to the vets is a real necessity and vital in the league and we've neglected this for so long that its caught up to us big time. Where's that young big or point guard that we've developed over the last two years at? Nowhere to be found

Its time to play Mann and Kennard. Hell have Coffey and Jay Scrubb ready to go just in case. I'm basically over this NBA standard "Vets only for the postseason" sh*t especially when it pertains to our team. Play the kids and find a spark somewhere. If we don't win Friday this series is over with.


That’s how this team is built.

Off of names recognition. But since they’re role players with names, it’s harder to see. We got frownie face Marcus Morris...the fake tough bully who once hit a Wizard in the face with a ball. *Shivers in Boots* Scary AF. Oh wait there’s Luka blowing by him, scoring, flexing and gesturing to the crowd.

This team should be in on the draft. This team should be in on young talent. Our best defenders: 1) Cant stop Luka; 2) Are 30+; 3) Have an offensive burden to carry.

Would be great if this team kept its pick in 2019 (instead of signing up to lose to the Warriors -_- to attract Kawhi). Maybe we coulda drafted Mattyse Thybulle? Would be awesome to just use a young bull like him for stretches to just hound Luka. He can’t score, but **** it. You have 6 fouls. Pick this man up full court.

We have no Tony Allens for situations like this....maybe Mann will/could help.

But this is how people wanted to build this roster sooo, we’ll have lame overpaid role players who were nicer and tougher in previous places.

“Shutup you’re getting Kawhi and a ring”.
“Shutup you’re getting the best Clipper seasons ever”
Really?
k.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
NickP
Senior
Posts: 617
And1: 353
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#239 » by NickP » Thu May 27, 2021 2:30 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Clemenza wrote:When you think about it, we have a lot of players on the back ends of their careers and that's a huge part of the problem we're witnessing now. Pat Bev, Reggie, Ibaka, Rondo, Pat Patterson, Cousins(via injuries). Even PG & Kawhi are getting up in age and both had come back from significant injuries. That's where youth and young talent come into play. First rounders like JRob and Kabengele not panning out has come back to bite us in the ass. SGA traded. Passed on MPJ. Kennard with two DNP's in two playoff games. Mann glued to the bench in favor of a washed Pat Bev who can no longer even play defense is a travesty. You might can get away with that stuff in the regular season but it gets exposed in the playoffs. Player development and Youth to add to the vets is a real necessity and vital in the league and we've neglected this for so long that its caught up to us big time. Where's that young big or point guard that we've developed over the last two years at? Nowhere to be found

Its time to play Mann and Kennard. Hell have Coffey and Jay Scrubb ready to go just in case. I'm basically over this NBA standard "Vets only for the postseason" sh*t especially when it pertains to our team. Play the kids and find a spark somewhere. If we don't win Friday this series is over with.


That’s how this team is built.

Off of names recognition. But since they’re role players with names, it’s harder to see. We got frownie face Marcus Morris...the fake tough bully who once hit a Wizard in the face with a ball. *Shivers in Boots* Scary AF. Oh wait there’s Luka blowing by him, scoring, flexing and gesturing to the crowd.

This team should be in on the draft. This team should be in on young talent. Our best defenders: 1) Cant stop Luka; 2) Are 30+; 3) Have an offensive burden to carry.

Would be great if this team kept its pick in 2019 (instead of signing up to lose to the Warriors -_- to attract Kawhi). Maybe we coulda drafted Mattyse Thybulle? Would be awesome to just use a young bull like him for stretches to just hound Luka. He can’t score, but **** it. You have 6 fouls. Pick this man up full court.

We have no Tony Allens for situations like this....maybe Mann will/could help.

But this is how people wanted to build this roster sooo, we’ll have lame overpaid role players who were nicer and tougher in previous places.

“Shutup you’re getting Kawhi and a ring”.
“Shutup you’re getting the best Clipper seasons ever”
Really?
k.

I know how much these 2 losses have added to our frustration. However, any team in the league will do whatever it takes to get Kawhi and PG on board.
What we failed at was surrounding them with Tony Allen kind of players. I did not like the hiring of Lue at all but you have who you have. Now Lue has to figure this out in a hurry. He has to figure out the best squad to get us beyond Dallas. He has to tell the veterans he's sitting their asses down and will take his chances with guys like Mann and Coffy and throw in Luke for some quick buckets. Maybe not Luke ☺️
But as of now we cannot get new players or a new coach as much as we hate the coach or the players.
Bottom line is can we beat Dallas by making changes to the lineup? One game at a time.
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 6,670
And1: 1,783
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#240 » by esqtvd » Thu May 27, 2021 11:31 pm

NickP wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Clemenza wrote:When you think about it, we have a lot of players on the back ends of their careers and that's a huge part of the problem we're witnessing now. Pat Bev, Reggie, Ibaka, Rondo, Pat Patterson, Cousins(via injuries). Even PG & Kawhi are getting up in age and both had come back from significant injuries. That's where youth and young talent come into play. First rounders like JRob and Kabengele not panning out has come back to bite us in the ass. SGA traded. Passed on MPJ. Kennard with two DNP's in two playoff games. Mann glued to the bench in favor of a washed Pat Bev who can no longer even play defense is a travesty. You might can get away with that stuff in the regular season but it gets exposed in the playoffs. Player development and Youth to add to the vets is a real necessity and vital in the league and we've neglected this for so long that its caught up to us big time. Where's that young big or point guard that we've developed over the last two years at? Nowhere to be found

Its time to play Mann and Kennard. Hell have Coffey and Jay Scrubb ready to go just in case. I'm basically over this NBA standard "Vets only for the postseason" sh*t especially when it pertains to our team. Play the kids and find a spark somewhere. If we don't win Friday this series is over with.


That’s how this team is built.

Off of names recognition. But since they’re role players with names, it’s harder to see. We got frownie face Marcus Morris...the fake tough bully who once hit a Wizard in the face with a ball. *Shivers in Boots* Scary AF. Oh wait there’s Luka blowing by him, scoring, flexing and gesturing to the crowd.

This team should be in on the draft. This team should be in on young talent. Our best defenders: 1) Cant stop Luka; 2) Are 30+; 3) Have an offensive burden to carry.

Would be great if this team kept its pick in 2019 (instead of signing up to lose to the Warriors -_- to attract Kawhi). Maybe we coulda drafted Mattyse Thybulle? Would be awesome to just use a young bull like him for stretches to just hound Luka. He can’t score, but **** it. You have 6 fouls. Pick this man up full court.

We have no Tony Allens for situations like this....maybe Mann will/could help.

But this is how people wanted to build this roster sooo, we’ll have lame overpaid role players who were nicer and tougher in previous places.

“Shutup you’re getting Kawhi and a ring”.
“Shutup you’re getting the best Clipper seasons ever”
Really?
k.

I know how much these 2 losses have added to our frustration. However, any team in the league will do whatever it takes to get Kawhi and PG on board.
What we failed at was surrounding them with Tony Allen kind of players. I did not like the hiring of Lue at all but you have who you have. Now Lue has to figure this out in a hurry. He has to figure out the best squad to get us beyond Dallas. He has to tell the veterans he's sitting their asses down and will take his chances with guys like Mann and Coffy and throw in Luke for some quick buckets. Maybe not Luke ☺️
But as of now we cannot get new players or a new coach as much as we hate the coach or the players.
Bottom line is can we beat Dallas by making changes to the lineup? One game at a time.



Yes, ironically the league dynamic of rounding up veteran superstars changed just as we got ours. It's now a young man's league again--Doncic, Mitchell, Booker, Trey Young, Morant, Zion, etc. Hell, Embiid's only 27 and Ben Simmons is 24--only 3 months older than Terance Mann.

And the Nets just hit the trifecta on the vets anyway.


Frankly, with KL and PG occupying most of the sal cap, we're still back where we were with Lob City, signing whatever spare parts who are willing to come here for cheap--although you could say that the REAL disaster is the $30M going to Beverley and Morris, who at the moment are useless. You can get a pretty good player for $30M. ;-)
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers