ROUND 1, GAME 6: Clippers @ Mavs Friday 9:00PM PDT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,806

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 6: Clippers @ Mavs Friday 9:00PM PDT 

Post#301 » by og15 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:13 pm

I went to bed happy that the team at least got a win, not particularly confident that they will win game 7, but hopeful. Woke up, had some fun with the kids in the morning, took them with me on some errands and to the park, came home looking to edit some pictures I've taken over the last couple weeks b/c I've been slacking with editing. I decide to come to check the forum, and it's a game we won and we have reports and flaming, etc all over. Yikes! If you all are like this with each other after a win, wow, this team better not lose on Sunday I guess. You all are wild!

LamarWho wrote:Surprised to see Luke Kennard played 10 minutes in an elimination game. Apparently Rondo's minutes been slashed to half tonight, wonder if that's gonna continue Sunday.

He didn't make his shots, but this was probably the best defense I've seen Kennard play all season. He didn't get blown by off the dribble. He didn't get baited into being switched on to Luka, he would show and recover properly, and even make the read for the secondary rotation if someone recovered to his man. Basically he played smart defense that didn't require him to make any athletic feats or try to recover to places he is physically unable to.

Offensively like I said, didn't make his 3PT shots, though the drive and floater was nice, but I was watching off ball, Dallas against the initial drives did not want to help off Luke (wrote Luka before :lol:), if his defender stunted, he closed back towards him quickly, and that actually ended up giving extra space for Kawhi especially, but also George.

Now, does this mean he should get minutes again? :lol:, well, I don't know, but I was proud of him.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#302 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:31 pm

RingColluder wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:I appreciate the 45 from Kawhi but his defense on Luka is also game/ series changing.

Luka is a different player when Kawhi is guarding him. His BS herky jerky nonsense does not work on Kawhi. He's not stronger than him, so he can't bully him into his little fade aways and leaners.

Kawhi really, IN MY OPINION, smacked him on both ends of the floor tonight.
He needs one more game like this for us to go to Utah.

You're absolutely right.

Look at every single possession when Paul George is on Luka. Luka posts him up 3-4 times and goes in and odes a spin for an easy two or passes it out for a great assist. He doesn't fear him WHATSOEVER>

The only one who he fears is Kawhi. AMAZING. KAWHI SI CARRYING THIS TEAM ON HIS BACK AND ITS AMAZING TO WATCH

it is true that Doncic is stronger than PG, but PG compounds the mismatch by reaching way too much. Just try to hold your ground, keep your arms straight up in the air and hope he misses. PG is a very good defender, but reaches too much or loses focus. Hopefully that doesn't happen too much in game 7
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,806

Post#303 » by og15 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:48 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
Kelphus wrote:The game threads suck. I don’t read them. Why bother, the histrionic one liners about anybody and everybody. How about some rational talk of what worked and what didn’t . I dont post during game, there is no point. Nor do I read the ridiculous emotionalism.. I wait until game is over. Like now. Then I read the thread and shake my head.

Great win. That was the Kawhi we waited for. Kudos to Reggies play in first half.

Now lets win game 7... and stop all the “I hope we lose” crap!

That's kind of what game threads are - an emotional stream of consciousness. And when the Clippers have let us down so many times in the playoffs, and when they looked so bad for most of an elimination game, there's going to be some negativity.

Here's hoping this game is where it all finally starts clicking into place for this team.

I avoid the game threads during the games too--but it's because I like being caught up in the moment as a fan. Looking at the game as a whole--or even in large sections--I kinda have to step back. Tonight was one of those games that I feel different about after the fact. I was, and am, pretty sure it was a total Hero Ball game by Kawhi. But Reggie was great too, especially in the first half. And PG kept doing what he has been doing a lot of in this series—have two good to great quarters, and two meh to lousy ones. Fortunately for us, he was at his best in the fourth … for me, the block of the Hardaway three (that would’ve tied it) in the middle of the fourth was kind of a momentum switcher. We stayed in the driver’s seat after that.

But ... so many things wrong. What is wrong with Morris? This is not an idle question. He’s shooting 37%. He’s getting 9 ppg in nearly 35 mpg. He’s not rebounding. I don’t really see him defending well. This is not one of those “Well, it looks worse on paper.” It looked and looks bad no matter what. In this series he’s had two good games, two bad games and two games that are so f----- bad I don’t even know what to say. That evens out to—terrible!

And, really, outside of Kawhi, Reggie, and PG, we looked lousy tonight. Batum was “okay.” There was an extended Luke Kennard sighting. Rondo and Mann were nonexistent. And I’m concerned about Rondo—about whether there’s been some sort of altercation or he’s hurt or what. I had to check to make sure he played in the second half. He did—three minutes. In a potential elimination game. Something’s going on. But, again, the big picture is we didn’t look too good.

So how come we won and I’m so happy? Well, we put it all together at the right time. Our fourth quarter was good. Kawhi was insane. PG was very very good. Reggie was good (just not as good as in the—damn!—1Q). The spot minutes from a few other players really helped. Zu played for what felt like a moment and got 5 rebounds. Our defensive play was stellar—PG and Kawhi were switching fast and smooth. And we looked like a team. We played hard and tough and scrabbled our way into the lead and held it.

So I’m happy. And we’ve got a Game 7.

Marcus Morris has been the biggest disappointment of the series by far. I really hope they win game 7 and he can step up in a further series. I'm not asking that he shoots 47% 3PT through the series, but he can't drop so drastically in his 3PT% as a catch and shoot open/wide open shooter. It's different when the stars who are carrying a heavy load, shooting off the dribble, taking contested three's have a lower 3PT%, there are reasons. When a guy who is parked in the corner for catch and shoot, and who is career 43% 3PT shooter IN THE PLAYOFFS is giving you 0-for type nights from 3PT range, it is not so nice. The best thing so far is that he is not turning the ball over, and generally is not trying to do too much on offense.

Interestingly, the last two games he's averaged 42 mpg, and to an extent I get what is happening. Lue doesn't want to go big, which means fewer minutes for Zubac (5 minutes last night), with ALL the teams forwards now starting (George, Kawhi, Batum, Morris), there's no forward off the bench. Lue also doesn't want to have multiple smaller guys on the court together because he doesn't want Luka to abuse them. So you look at the bench, and it's all guards who can take the minutes, Rondo, Mann, Kennard.

Morris is a career 26 mpg guy, he played 26 mpg this season, are the extended minutes too much for him? He's supposed to be like the teams Jae Crowder type, except a better shooter.

Rajon Rondo. Rondo's case is interesting, he certainly hasn't brought the "playoff Rondo" for this team, but it does seem like Lue was not very happy about his gamble on defense and just said "yea you're done" after that. That might just be making too much of that, it might be more of the fact that with Dallas going big (KP/Boban or KP/WCS), using a lot of zone and trying to keep the Clippers out of the paint, Lue might also not be liking how much Rondo is shrinking the floor.

Kawhi in the middle vs the zone. I like the adjustment to putting Kawhi in the middle of the floor against the zone, it is a slightly more difficult spot to double because he will see the double coming. It also puts him in good position to take a mid-range jumper or to attack from a faceup position.

Batum I've still liked how he contained Doncic from getting all the way to the rim. His defense was solid, but he just needed to make 1 or 2 of his 3PT attempts last game.

Reggie Jackson. Every game there's a chorus of bench Reggie Jackson, bench Reggie Jackson, he's the worst, and every game, I'm watching, and I say, yes, this is not a floor general, this is not a star, but this is a pretty solid bring up the ball combo guard and floor spacer. Reggie will make a mistake and take at least one wild shot a game, but he's doing enough positive on BOTH ENDS in this series, that I'm really not seeing what all the detractors are seeing. I think people have made their minds up about him and therefore ANY mistake he makes is magnified and hyperbolized beyond what is actually is.

Reggie is the Clippers best small guard in this series, and it is not even close. There is no other small guard for this matchup that can give the combination of shooting, scoring, floor spacing and not getting destroyed on defense. Reggie has defended better than Beverley who is supposed to be the defensive guy. He was 3/8 3PT from last night, but one of those was an end of quarter heave which he wasn't concerned about protecting his percentages to take. Last night, too many turnovers for him, yes, but look at the whole series, he had 4 turnovers in 5 games before last night. He's shooting 40% 3PT on 8 3PA/G, and after 0/3 in game 1, he's made 3+ three's in each game, and is at 42.2% 3PT on 9.0 3PA. People are crazy coming for Reggie Jackson, minimum contract, supposed to be 9-10th man. Clippers don't win without him or someone else who could shoot/space the floor and over the last 5 games give the equivalent impact of 18.2 ppg / 63 TS%. I'm not sure who else on the roster people think could have replicated that, but I'm all ears.

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:I appreciate the 45 from Kawhi but his defense on Luka is also game/ series changing.

Luka is a different player when Kawhi is guarding him. His BS herky jerky nonsense does not work on Kawhi. He's not stronger than him, so he can't bully him into his little fade aways and leaners.

You're absolutely right.

Look at every single possession when Paul George is on Luka. Luka posts him up 3-4 times and goes in and odes a spin for an easy two or passes it out for a great assist. He doesn't fear him WHATSOEVER>

The only one who he fears is Kawhi. AMAZING. KAWHI SI CARRYING THIS TEAM ON HIS BACK AND ITS AMAZING TO WATCH

it is true that Doncic is stronger than PG, but PG compounds the mismatch by reaching way too much. Just try to hold your ground, keep your arms straight up in the air and hope he misses. PG is a very good defender, but reaches too much or loses focus. Hopefully that doesn't happen too much in game 7
Speaking of reaching, Rondo every time he's guarding Luka is basically reaching twice every second, and that's not even an over-exaggeration, he was scaring me that he would get called for more fouls.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#304 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:48 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

You're absolutely right.

Yep. He has a little Harden in his game. We do nothing but help him when we reach like this.

For everything I don’t like about Luka, he likes to back guys down/ get them on his hip. He’s not a guy who exposes the ball for tons of reaching opportunities. So, when we do it, it’s ineffective and reads like we are frustrated with guarding him.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#305 » by RingColluder » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:53 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Steelers? They’re actually perennially good.
Lmao.

Check a Raiders forum.
It’s the exact same thing with the exact same complaints except the Raiders have been infinitely worse than the Clippers this last decade.

Fire Gruden.
Trade Carr.
This team friggin sucks.
Stop being negative.
I feel like some of you want this team to lose.

Dodger Forums too.

Oh and the same, “I stopped coming around” shaming tactic as well from people who....are....around.
-_-

If people can’t see this is typical forum fan talk, I dunno what to say. Fans are positive. Fans are cynical. Fans break into factions (Kobe-Shaq, Parker-Ginobili). People are people. Pretending there is one way to cope with Clipper choking is misguided. I don’t see anyone d-bagging the team as less of a fan or less interested in Clipper success.

This post deserves a STANDING OVATION. Such truth.

Can I like this a thousand times?
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#306 » by RingColluder » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:56 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

You're absolutely right.

It's exactly like the Nuggets series last year. One of the most overrated defenders in the league low IQ, and gambles way too much when he's getting beat constantly. I'd rather build a team around a less skilled but smart and talented player than a gifted player with low IQ and a massive EGO.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#307 » by RingColluder » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:00 pm

og15 wrote:I went to bed happy that the team at least got a win, not particularly confident that they will win game 7, but hopeful. Woke up, had some fun with the kids in the morning, took them with me on some errands and to the park, came home looking to edit some pictures I've taken over the last couple weeks b/c I've been slacking with editing. I decide to come to check the forum, and it's a game we won and we have reports and flaming, etc all over. Yikes! If you all are like this with each other after a win, wow, this team better not lose on Sunday I guess. You all are wild!

LamarWho wrote:Surprised to see Luke Kennard played 10 minutes in an elimination game. Apparently Rondo's minutes been slashed to half tonight, wonder if that's gonna continue Sunday.

He didn't make his shots, but this was probably the best defense I've seen Kennard play all season. He didn't get blown by off the dribble. He didn't get baited into being switched on to Luka, he would show and recover properly, and even make the read for the secondary rotation if someone recovered to his man. Basically he played smart defense that didn't require him to make any athletic feats or try to recover to places he is physically unable to.

Offensively like I said, didn't make his 3PT shots, though the drive and floater was nice, but I was watching off ball, Dallas against the initial drives did not want to help off Luke (wrote Luka before :lol:), if his defender stunted, he closed back towards him quickly, and that actually ended up giving extra space for Kawhi especially, but also George.

Now, does this mean he should get minutes again? :lol:, well, I don't know, but I was proud of him.

NGL this post made me :lol: :lol:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers