Round 1, Game 7: Clippers vs. Mavericks: June 6, 12:30 PM PCT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Re: Round 1, Game 7: Clippers vs. Mavericks: June 6, 12:30 PM PCT 

Post#361 » by NickP » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:46 am

TheNewEra wrote:
LamarWho wrote:Utah is far better defensively than Dallas, especially in the paint.

Offensively they don't rely on one player like Dallas. Gonna be a tough series.

Yeah if we thought Gobert was a pest it’s 5x worse with Gobert. They don’t have the bigs that shoot like Dallas so we should be able to matchup better. Being able to stay home on defenders might make it easier on guys and we still can’t let Mitchell or Clarkson take over.

Unlike KP or Boban, they don't have big men that are an offensive threat. We should attack the paint and draw Gobert in and then dish. Zu has to step up big time and if Ibaka is not available then Boogie will see some time.
I like our chances!
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#362 » by TheNewEra » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:01 am

NickP wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
LamarWho wrote:Utah is far better defensively than Dallas, especially in the paint.

Offensively they don't rely on one player like Dallas. Gonna be a tough series.

Yeah if we thought Gobert was a pest it’s 5x worse with Gobert. They don’t have the bigs that shoot like Dallas so we should be able to matchup better. Being able to stay home on defenders might make it easier on guys and we still can’t let Mitchell or Clarkson take over.

Unlike KP or Boban, they don't have big men that are an offensive threat. We should attack the paint and draw Gobert in and then dish. Zu has to step up big time and if Ibaka is not available then Boogie will see some time.
I like our chances!

Yeah exactly and I meant from Boban to Gobert.

I think we will need Zu and Boogie in this next one. Jazz can get way more physical inside and Gobert will try to dunk all over small ball if we let him
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 961

Post#363 » by clipperlover » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:43 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
clipperlover wrote:If I am Steve Ballmer, I am very nervous right now about Kawhi's future regardless of if we make the Finals. Kawhi could look ahead to the next 5 years and decide a Kawhi-Luka tandem would be the best.

Kawhi wants to play in LA, so I'm not too concerned about that. He also could have joined LeBron and AD and chose to lead his own team instead

Except there are a few factors:
1. Kawhi isn't getting any younger
2. Luka isn't in his prime. He is like a young MJ. Taking some playoffs lumps early in the career, but could absolutely break through next year.
3. Because of 1 and 2. Kawhi could see the task of guarding Luka in the future won't be easier. May be time to set-up the next 5 years of the career.
4. No state taxes. That max money goes farther.

I am not saying he is leaving, but Ballmer shouldn't feel comfortable. There could be competitive forces that need to be considered. With the Nets having Irving, Durant and Harden, the future construction of rosters could change.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#364 » by NippySudz » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:44 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Patrick Beverley DNP.

Lol.
Good.

I think he will be super valuable against Mike Conley and small guards like that, but He's getting traded if he doesn't have a player option. He won't be in next year. I hope no one cries about that.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#365 » by NippySudz » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:46 am

clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:
clipperlover wrote:If I am Steve Ballmer, I am very nervous right now about Kawhi's future regardless of if we make the Finals. Kawhi could look ahead to the next 5 years and decide a Kawhi-Luka tandem would be the best.

Kawhi wants to play in LA, so I'm not too concerned about that. He also could have joined LeBron and AD and chose to lead his own team instead

2. Luka isn't in his prime. He is like a young MJ. Taking some playoffs lumps early in the career, but could absolutely break through next year.
3. Because of 1 and 2. Kawhi could see the task of guarding Luka in the future won't be easier. May be time to set-up the next 5 years of the career.

I am not saying he is leaving, but Ballmer shouldn't feel comfortable. There could be competitive forces that need to be considered. With the Nets having Irving, Durant and Harden, the future construction of rosters could change.

Lol You think Kawhi wants to go back to Texas? Sh-t. I'd see Kawhi going to the lakers before I see him going to Dallas. Even though Luka is a stud, Kawhi looks like the type to me that likes competition. Otherwise, he would have joined the lakers with AD and LeBron when it was time to join them. Now LeBron is looking sort of a shell of himself. Kawhi would be the guy, AD would be the second dude and LeBron the third guy. I can see him using the lakers as leverage and aslo Miami. Dallas, I can't see at all.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#366 » by clipperlover » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:03 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Two things could help the Clippers against Utah- 1) The Jazz are hopefully rusty in game 1. 2) Conley apparently has a hamstring injury- he always plays like a first team all NBA player against the Clippers for whatever reason- Ingles does too, so I'm worried about him

Conley played in the playoffs with a broken face. I don't think a hamstring is going to hold him back unless it is serious.

I think Mann is going to play a big role in the next series. He is going to need to take on the task of shutting down Clarkson. Rondo and Beverley are going to need to spend most of their energy on Conley and Mtchell.

We are going to need all hands on deck the entire series. The role players need to step up right from Game 1.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#367 » by clipperlover » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:20 am

NippySudz wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

Lol You think Kawhi wants to go back to Texas? Sh-t. I'd see Kawhi going to the lakers before I see him going to Dallas. Even though Luka is a stud, Kawhi looks like the type to me that likes competition. Otherwise, he would have joined the lakers with AD and LeBron when it was time to join them. Now LeBron is looking sort of a shell of himself. Kawhi would be the guy, AD would be the second dude and LeBron the third guy. I can see him using the lakers as leverage and aslo Miami. Dallas, I can't see at all.

Miami I could see. The Lakers are non-players unless they move LeBron's expiring contract or Kawhi signs for peanuts. Dallas has the cap space and could even free up some more. Regardless, he is here now and we will deal with the off-season when it officially gets here. How we play the rest of this post season will determine the off-season.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#368 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:22 am

NippySudz wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

The Lakers don't have cap space, do they?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#369 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:23 am

clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Two things could help the Clippers against Utah- 1) The Jazz are hopefully rusty in game 1. 2) Conley apparently has a hamstring injury- he always plays like a first team all NBA player against the Clippers for whatever reason- Ingles does too, so I'm worried about him

Conley played in the playoffs with a broken face. I don't think a hamstring is going to hold him back unless it is serious.

I think Mann is going to play a big role in the next series. He is going to need to take on the task of shutting down Clarkson. Rondo and Beverley are going to need to spend most of their energy on Conley and Mtchell.

We are going to need all hands on deck the entire series. The role players need to step up right from Game 1.

he is tough as nails- for sure. However, you can run with a broken face, not so much with a pulled hamstring
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#370 » by RingColluder » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:10 am

Terrence Mann and Luke Kennard (and obviously Kawhi) SAVED OUR SEASON.

Exceptional work.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#371 » by Clemenza » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:26 am

clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

Kawhi is not going to Dallas
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#372 » by RingColluder » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:35 am

I can see Kawhi going to Miami, but other than that very tough to see any viable destinations. The most minor of chances he goes to New York if they can swing a deal for a legitimate superstar but very unlikely. Would have to be a blockbuster deal.

Unless we get swept next round he'll probably do another 1+1 lmaooo. But had we lost this series he was leaving.

If we make it to the WCF I think he stays long term. It'd be a mistake to do anything long term given some of these awful contracts we have, but he likes Cali so better for us then.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#373 » by wolfram » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:53 am

Great series guys. Wish you good luck. Last year I really hated some of your players - this year they had much better attitude. Happy to see also the respect they have for each other post game.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#374 » by esqtvd » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:05 am

clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

Nothing in the bag. Kawhi is Kawhi. If he had to score 40 again to get us through this, even more doubts. But 7 guys scored in double figures. THAT'S what he signed up for here--Doc's bunch of no-names who still made the playoffs and gave the Dubs a run. Add another superstar and this was supposed to be easy at least for the first couple rounds of the playoffs.

If I'm Kawhi, at this moment I'd still rather join the Suns or the Dubs if they can squeeze my salary in. This was too damn much work and not all that much fun. Clips are still on Kawhi's probation bigtime. We better do better.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 524

Post#375 » by Kelphus » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:12 pm

Great coaching and courage by Lue .. small in game 5, loss anyway, then stays with it for wins in 6 and 7.
It worked.
Now different opponent, different lineups
Ibaka and Zu please return to service
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#376 » by nickhx2 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:21 pm

any word on ibaka's health yet?
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#377 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:27 pm

Salute to Luke Kennard for staying ready.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
NickP
Rookie

Post#378 » by NickP » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:32 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

he is tough as nails- for sure. However, you can run with a broken face, not so much with a pulled hamstring

Exactly this.
NickP
Rookie

Post#379 » by NickP » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:35 pm

Kelphus wrote:Great coaching and courage by Lue .. small in game 5, loss anyway, then stays with it for wins in 6 and 7.
It worked.
Now different opponent, different lineups
Ibaka and Zu please return to service

I hope Boogie is ready because there's no update on Ibaka. Also boogie's ability to shoot 3s could draw Gobert out of the paint.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#380 » by TheNewEra » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:07 pm

Next series going to be more physical and we will need everyone to beat Utah

Return to Los Angeles Clippers