ImageImageImageImageImage

Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan, QRich3

Clemenza
Analyst
Posts: 3,529
And1: 2,570
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: California
   

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#381 » by Clemenza » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:41 am

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Please wait until after game 2 for all the doom and gloom. They played a tough game 7 and had to fly on their off day(Monday), no practice, suit up and play. They're in town so there's no travel. Just rest and game planning all day tomorrow. I get where you're coming from but at least wait until after game 2 for the jump off the cliff doom and gloom diatribe. We're not down 0-2 and down 19 in the first quarter of game 3(yet). Chill


Nice effort, but just don't, bro. This happens every game thread. Every game of the year, every series... The more you give, the more they suck the life out of us.

The game thread tonight was the same as every game thread in the Dallas series, win or lose. Tedious misery and garbage, even though we went down to the wire. Mercy. We've got to stop feeding this. The Dallas series was one of the greatest victories in Clipper history and they sucked every ounce of life out of it.

Let's not let them do it again? [and again and again and again...]

Agreed
User avatar
TucsonClip
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,464
And1: 839
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
Contact:
 

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#382 » by TucsonClip » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:48 am

Difficult turnaround from games 6 and 7 to tonight, PG and Kawhi mostly off, bad third quarter and the chance to somehow tie at the end.

Game 2 will tell a lot about this series, as I expect another war. However, there was little I saw tonight which leads me to buy into any doom and gloom.

Fully expect Kawhi to come storming back, hope PG can find his jumper from three and Mitchell isn't burning down the nets again.

Win game 2, head home and everyone should be very happy.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 25,348
And1: 8,242
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#383 » by TheNewEra » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:56 am

Now Mitchell is saying he felt sick before the game. We need to stop these players from having massive games against us. Paul George and Kawhi Leonard as a combo should not keep getting outscored like this
wakelaunch1
Sophomore
Posts: 103
And1: 31
Joined: May 02, 2021

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#384 » by wakelaunch1 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:04 am

esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:This Jazz team isn't impressive at all. I really like the Clippers chances this series. This is all fatigue


there are no rest days. Every game in this series is every other day. Really want us to win this one because its going to zap the energy later on.



Ty played this pretty much as I hoped [see previous]. Played everybody, kept Kawhi [36] and PG [37] under 40 minutes. Coming off an exhausting series on SUNDAY, no rest day since we flew to Utah on the "day off," no time to practice and put in new schemes for the Jazz on either end...

And STILL had a chance to steal this one.

Charley Barkley gave us all props on the postgame. Not even a minute to celebrate winning the Dallas series--with a nice win BTW. And we only lost by THREE??

Well, I'm having fun at least. There are a lot of positives to take away from this. Nobody stunk up the joint--even PG who still managed 20 points on 17 shots with 10 rebs and only a minus-3.

Donovan is a nice player and that was an incredible 45 points but he ain't no Doncic, who does it to us every night. Standing on one foot. ;-D


If you didnt think Paul George stunk, I dont know what you think is bad for a MAX player in a playoff series. His defense is bad and he let so many people get offensive rebounds over him. Granted I dont think Morris helps. Morris is the worst rebounder I have ever seen for a big.
clipperlover
Senior
Posts: 517
And1: 334
Joined: Sep 10, 2019

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#385 » by clipperlover » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:47 pm

Just not going to be doom and gloom after one game in a long series. Remember, Utah was sitting at home waiting after nearly a week off. I think Lue threw a bunch of things at Utah in the 1st half to cause them to spend time game planning for it in Game 2.

I see a few things we need to clean-up before Game 2:
1. Utah started to change things when they extended their D to full court pressure in the 2nd. Started to get the crowd going. Clips did not look ready for it.

2. Ty blinked in the 3rd. He had no problems relying on the bench in the 1st half. Once Utah made that run in the 3rd, Ty seemed to get away from his rotations. TMann hadn't played that few minutes since Game 1 vs Dallas.

3. Over reliance on the 3 still.

4. Failure to take advantage of the bonus situation again. We were in the bonus with 8:04 to go in the 4th. Utah was also in the bonus early in the 4th. The difference was they attacked the rim and we chucked 3 pointers. From the moment we entered the bonus until we got back to the line, Utah went on a 10-2 run with half of those points coming on FTs (we were 0-3 from 3 during that stretch). Once we did get to the line, we went nearly 4 more minutes without getting another FT attempt. We were 1-7 from three once we were in the bonus in the 4th. Morris was 1-5 (all threes) in his first 5 shots post bonus. Maybe we need him to get into foul trouble again. it worked in Game 7. Lue was forced to play others.


On to Game 2.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 38,907
And1: 18,472
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#386 » by og15 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:29 pm

I'm tempted to say that Lue should go back to a traditional lineup with Zu at C and with Batum starting instead of Morris, but I'm fine with Morris starting, but being cognizant of his shooting and insert Batum earlier. I'd also like to see Morris at least for now under 30 mpg.
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 15,197
And1: 4,522
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#387 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:36 pm

esqtvd wrote:The Dallas series was one of the greatest victories in Clipper history

Disagree and it's not really close.

The fans should be upset and critical with that performance and that it took that to beat an inferior roster.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
Posts: 7,741
And1: 837
Joined: Apr 11, 2001

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#388 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:40 pm

clipperlover wrote:Just not going to be doom and gloom after one game in a long series. Remember, Utah was sitting at home waiting after nearly a week off. I think Lue threw a bunch of things at Utah in the 1st half to cause them to spend time game planning for it in Game 2.

I see a few things we need to clean-up before Game 2:
1. Utah started to change things when they extended their D to full court pressure in the 2nd. Started to get the crowd going. Clips did not look ready for it.

2. Ty blinked in the 3rd. He had no problems relying on the bench in the 1st half. Once Utah made that run in the 3rd, Ty seemed to get away from his rotations. TMann hadn't played that few minutes since Game 1 vs Dallas.

3. Over reliance on the 3 still.

4. Failure to take advantage of the bonus situation again. We were in the bonus with 8:04 to go in the 4th. Utah was also in the bonus early in the 4th. The difference was they attacked the rim and we chucked 3 pointers. From the moment we entered the bonus until we got back to the line, Utah went on a 10-2 run with half of those points coming on FTs (we were 0-3 from 3 during that stretch). Once we did get to the line, we went nearly 4 more minutes without getting another FT attempt. We were 1-7 from three once we were in the bonus in the 4th. Morris was 1-5 (all threes) in his first 5 shots post bonus. Maybe we need him to get into foul trouble again. it worked in Game 7. Lue was forced to play others.


On to Game 2.


This. I’m pretty tired of the lousy play in the third quarter … but you know, it bled over into the fourth. We had two players that were meh in the fourth and we had options—and we kept them in there. Og15 said it—we were tied in the fourth and couldn’t get it done.

This was PGs worst game of the playoffs—he did some things right late, but we need to have a solid game from him from the first half forward, not just in the last quarter. People are talking about PG melting; man, it’s the opposite. He came into the game as a puddle, and turned ice cold killer in the fourth. But it’s too much sucking (three quarters worth) and not near enough hero ball. I liked his aggressiveness and that he got to the line (the only one who seemed to grasp the bonus situation clipperlover noted)—but we’re not going to win anything if he can’t get his shooting efficiency up to 55% plus. Last night .467. Not gonna do it, even if he is the only guy on the team that seems to want to grab rebounds.

Marcus took a big step back. I see that his +/- is okay—but that’s a bit of an illusion, IMO. What I can’t understand is why he’s not getting more boards. Our + in this series is that we need his scoring less—because Zu and Bev and Rondo can get more minutes, someone else can have a decent game and get into double figures. It would be nice for Mook to get 10-12 a game. But he needs to grab four boards and play smart D, and I’m not seeing that. And he needs to have better fourth quarters, dammit. I loved last game; I don’t expect him to do that all the time. But, really—shoot 40% and get a board every seven minutes, bro.

Kawhi looked gassed. Probably was. This was an average to poor game form him in the playioffs. He still got 23 points, but you could see/feel the lack of aggression. He’s not going to be like this for many games, but still. Glad he played “only” 35 minutes.

On the plus side—Luke. If someone had told me “Hey, Luke is gonna get 11 points in a game 7 with some big fourth quarter hsots, and follow it up with a 19 point game,” it would have been a joke. I don’t expect this all the time—hell, I don’t expect this half the time. But credit where it’s due—he is stepping up big.

Zu had a very good game—needs to watch the fouls. TMann was strong again, should have played more. Good, albeit brief, contribution from Boogie. PatBev contributed on D, which is where I want him him to be a factor. The fact that bench players have contributed at all, much less the amount they have, is a huge plus.

Back to the fourth quarter—our stars got it done. PG gets a C- for the game, but an A- in the fourth. We had it tied with 9 minutes to go, and brought Kawhi back after a bit of rest. I really thought we were going to close it. In that last nine minutes, Kawhi got 9 points and was 4-7 from the field. PG got 9 points and was 2-4 from the field (which means/meant he got the line a lot, which is good). Luke knocked down a three. That’s 21 points in the last 9 minutes out of three of the five big minute players (can’t believe I’m saying that about Luke); that should be enough in a fourth quarter. But nobody else did anything. The weak link was Mook—1-7—this is why the +/- throws me. We would have won the game if he had shot 3-7, or tied if he'd made one more three (like … that last shot) . For most of the fourth, we ran a lineup of Kawhi, PG, Mook, Luke, and Rondo. Kawhi, PG and Luke (still can’t believe I’m saying his name) got it done. Rondo was ineffective. Marcus was a minus—enough so it cost us.
Image
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 15,197
And1: 4,522
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#389 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:42 pm

og15 wrote:I'm tempted to say that Lue should go back to a traditional lineup with Zu at C and with Batum starting instead of Morris, but I'm fine with Morris starting, but being cognizant of his shooting and insert Batum earlier. I'd also like to see Morris at least for now under 30 mpg.

I say traditional lineup plus a point that has any chance at all of guarding Mitchell.

We can't be switching everything knowing that some of the stuff out there switching on to Mitchell is BBQ.
Rondo? Bev?

Just a thought. I doubt the sports gods will give us another 1st half like he did yesterday.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
Posts: 8,769
And1: 2,505
Joined: May 01, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#390 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:47 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
og15 wrote:I'm tempted to say that Lue should go back to a traditional lineup with Zu at C and with Batum starting instead of Morris, but I'm fine with Morris starting, but being cognizant of his shooting and insert Batum earlier. I'd also like to see Morris at least for now under 30 mpg.

I say traditional lineup plus a point that has any chance at all of guarding Mitchell.

We can't be switching everything knowing that some of the stuff out there switching on to Mitchell is BBQ.
Rondo? Bev?

Just a thought. I doubt the sports gods will give us another 1st half like he did yesterday.

I agree- after it was clear that Kennard was toast against Mitchell, some type of adjustment should have been made- like putting Mann in the game
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
Posts: 7,741
And1: 837
Joined: Apr 11, 2001

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#391 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:55 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
og15 wrote:I'm tempted to say that Lue should go back to a traditional lineup with Zu at C and with Batum starting instead of Morris, but I'm fine with Morris starting, but being cognizant of his shooting and insert Batum earlier. I'd also like to see Morris at least for now under 30 mpg.

I say traditional lineup plus a point that has any chance at all of guarding Mitchell.

We can't be switching everything knowing that some of the stuff out there switching on to Mitchell is BBQ.
Rondo? Bev?

Just a thought. I doubt the sports gods will give us another 1st half like he did yesterday.

I agree- after it was clear that Kennard was toast against Mitchell, some type of adjustment should have been made- like putting Mann in the game


Wasn't just Luke. FFS, Rondo should be playing on him. If Donovan Mitchell has a big quarter, he gets 15-20 points. If Royce O'Neal or Ingles has a big quarter, they get half of that, maybe. Put your best defender on Mitchell. It's not rocket science. In the fourth. Mitchell got 16. We ran a lineup of Rondo, Luke, PG, Kawhi, and Morris. Shouldn't be hard to figure out defensive assignments.
Image
Clemenza
Analyst
Posts: 3,529
And1: 2,570
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: California
   

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#392 » by Clemenza » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:08 pm

Tomhomes33 wrote:Jazz missed 21 consecutive shots in the 1qtr and were down only 7..

Yep the turnovers killed us. Should've been a 20 point lead at halftime
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 15,197
And1: 4,522
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#393 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:08 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:I say traditional lineup plus a point that has any chance at all of guarding Mitchell.

We can't be switching everything knowing that some of the stuff out there switching on to Mitchell is BBQ.
Rondo? Bev?

Just a thought. I doubt the sports gods will give us another 1st half like he did yesterday.

I agree- after it was clear that Kennard was toast against Mitchell, some type of adjustment should have been made- like putting Mann in the game


Wasn't just Luke. FFS, Rondo should be playing on him. If Donovan Mitchell has a big quarter, he gets 15-20 points. If Royce O'Neal or Ingles has a big quarter, they get half of that, maybe. Put your best defender on Mitchell. It's not rocket science. In the fourth. Mitchell got 16. We ran a lineup of Rondo, Luke, PG, Kawhi, and Morris. Shouldn't be hard to figure out defensive assignments.

Yeah, and I'm thinking for the starting lineup, maybe we do something diff?

I can't imagine the 1st half of Game 2 will go like the 1st half of Game 1. I expect Mitchell to be aggressive early. A lot of heat checks to see if he's still got it from Game 1. I think we put our best defensive line up early. We try to get Paul and Kawhi going early. Reggie isn't shy, he can fire his threes coming off the bench. We know he will.

Just my thoughts. Lue will probably stick with Reggie starting though.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
User avatar
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
Posts: 6,945
And1: 1,886
Joined: Jan 30, 2012
Location: Charlotte
     

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#394 » by mttwlsn16 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:11 pm

Glass half full. PG couldn't possibly shoot worse and Donovan Mitchell won't be that insanely on fire every night, and we still only lost by 3 with a chance to force OT.

Sucks to lose a winnable game, but it is what it is. Gotta get game 2 though. Not sure we climb out of another 0-2 hole.

Also, the "guys are tired" is a lame excuse imo. Professional athletes should be fine running around for 40 minutes every other day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Image
Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
Posts: 8,769
And1: 2,505
Joined: May 01, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#395 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:20 pm

mttwlsn16 wrote:Glass half full. PG couldn't possibly shoot worse and Donovan Mitchell won't be that insanely on fire every night, and we still only lost by 3 with a chance to force OT.

Sucks to lose a winnable game, but it is what it is. Gotta get game 2 though. Not sure we climb out of another 0-2 hole.

Also, the "guys are tired" is a lame excuse imo. Professional athletes should be fine running around for 40 minutes every other day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

they were playing at altitude- so that could have also factored into the fatigue
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 12,146
And1: 14,832
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#396 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:14 pm

mttwlsn16 wrote:PG couldn't possibly shoot worse

I don't know about that. The floor is remarkably low for PG in the playoffs.
Image
Clemenza
Analyst
Posts: 3,529
And1: 2,570
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: California
   

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#397 » by Clemenza » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:25 pm

Didn't like Ty Lue yet again trying to push Pat Bev into the forefront and make him to be something that he isn't. Could've pushed the lead further had Mann or Rondo been in the game during that first quarter. Now Pat Bev getting some spot minutes when Mitchell was going off in the 4th would've been the move to make. That's how he should be used imo but instead we got the opposite. Use him as the pit bull-attack dog that he is in certain situations and not as a legit pg option ahead of Rondo & Mann.

Also I can tell the "Conley narrative" is going to get chalkboard-grating status fast. Yes he helps Mitchell out a lot by taking over alot of the ballhandling duties so Mitchell doesn't tire himself out with all the shot attempts he takes. I get that but at the same time he's out chucking three's just like the rest of them. Its only one basketball in play. People make it sound like there's two game balls in play once he plays. I hope he plays because if they win then its, "And to think, we didn't even have Conley" -and if they lose it'll be, "We needed Conley". Get that man on the court so we can play these games in peace
NickP
Senior
Posts: 617
And1: 353
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#398 » by NickP » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:48 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:For the life of me....

Is there a championship team in the modern era (1980-present) that had their #2 player melt so much?

Part of the reason I struggle to love this team is I see so many different off ramps where you just say, "this isn't what a champion looks like". There's a bevy of them I have in my head. This is one of them. Did Pippen do THIS in any of the championship runs? Kobe do this to Shaq? We're 8 games in to this playoff run and George already has a handful of melting games. Wtf.

If this team were to ever pull this off and win a ring....it is the NBA team with the most odd indiosyncrasies ever.

Championship team? It would take a miracle at this point to even get past the second round, let alone win a championship.

Let's wait for a total meltdown if we are down 0-2 and then lose 1 at home. Clearly we were tired from the last series.
And yes, PG did have a bad game and I'm hoping he steps up for the next one.
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 8,789
And1: 4,129
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#399 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:36 pm

TucsonClip wrote:Difficult turnaround from games 6 and 7 to tonight, PG and Kawhi mostly off, bad third quarter and the chance to somehow tie at the end.

Game 2 will tell a lot about this series, as I expect another war. However, there was little I saw tonight which leads me to buy into any doom and gloom.

Fully expect Kawhi to come storming back, hope PG can find his jumper from three and Mitchell isn't burning down the nets again.

Win game 2, head home and everyone should be very happy.


Obviously Luke was on the floor at the end for his shooting, but we didn't get him a single attempt in the last couple of minutes, meanwhile he had to guard Mitchell every other Jazz possession. That was painful to watch at the end, luckily they didn't PnR to him again the last possession and we got a miss. Too bad we couldn't get off a good look though.
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 8,789
And1: 4,129
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#400 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:39 pm

mttwlsn16 wrote:Glass half full. PG couldn't possibly shoot worse and Donovan Mitchell won't be that insanely on fire every night, and we still only lost by 3 with a chance to force OT.

Sucks to lose a winnable game, but it is what it is. Gotta get game 2 though. Not sure we climb out of another 0-2 hole.

Also, the "guys are tired" is a lame excuse imo. Professional athletes should be fine running around for 40 minutes every other day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk


It's no excuse. But a team with a week off is going to have more legs than the team that just finished a hard-fought 7 game series. I agree the Clippers have no excuse to not leave it all on the floor every game, but on the flip side Utah had no excuse to not out-hustle the Clippers that game.

I think Game 2 will be critical. But man had we been able to steal Game 1 that would have been such a boost for us this series.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers