Kawhi undergoes surgery for partial ACL tear

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Re: Kawhi undergoes surgery for partial ACL tear 

Post#81 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Feb 4, 2022 6:51 pm

Clemenza wrote:I wish Lue would have kept that comment to himself

I think his statements on Kawhi and PG are generally made with the team in mind, trying to balance between optimism but also keeping them focused on who is playing and who they're playing.

Especially with this next stretch of games against tough opponents, the team has got to go in forgetting about whether they're undermanned or not and just focus on what it will take to win each night.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,702

Post#82 » by KL2 » Sat Feb 5, 2022 5:17 pm

I understand wanting to keep the team in check but it was a bizarre departure from his previous answers. He could have stuck with the we’re holding the fort down until he returns. If it’s this season great. If not, we’ll keep rolling with what we do have.

His answer and Ibaka’s both talked about time running out basically. All we’ve been hearing is how he’s ahead of schedule and even heard March as a possibility. Now it’s a 180. It’s weird is all.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#83 » by nickhx2 » Sat Feb 5, 2022 6:19 pm

i just don't see his comments as relevant at all to what he's actually doing with the team, and how the team is playing.

it won't and shouldn't change a thing with how we, as fans, have seen kawhi's return all this time: almost certainly not coming back, but with good tidings there might be a chance.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#84 » by Kelphus » Sun Feb 6, 2022 2:33 am

You're all assuming that the comment reflected his sincere beliefs... and was not made for some other purpose.

Head coaches are politicians and strategists along with the front office, if they're working well together... and I am hoping/assuming that Lue's comment was to reinforce some other notion and was not based upon actual expectations.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
KL2
Analyst

Post#85 » by KL2 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:22 pm

I know I’m getting my hopes up but maybe?? Would they really drop a new shoe if he wasn’t returning this season?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#86 » by donemilio21 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:02 pm

KL2 wrote:I know I’m getting my hopes up but maybe?? Would they really drop a new shoe if he wasn’t returning this season?

Yes, Kobe and Jordan released shoes after they were retired. I believe these type of stuff is mostly pre-scheduled, maybe not to exact date, but Kawhi and NB probably had a deal that a new shoe would be released in Spring 2022.
KL2
Analyst

Post#87 » by KL2 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:54 pm

Thanks. I understand retired players, especially guys like Jordan and Kobe.

I couldn’t remember players expected to miss an entire season like Kawhi is.

Interesting.
KL2
Analyst

Post#88 » by KL2 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 4:22 pm

35 days away from the play in tournament.

A week and change before we hit the final 10 games mark.

And Leonard hasn’t even been cleared to practice. You have the non contact, 1, 3, and 5 on drills, contact, minutes restriction to all go through still.

Not liking the chances of seeing him this season.
KL2
Analyst

Post#89 » by KL2 » Wed Mar 9, 2022 2:57 am

Lue said he didn’t see (Leonard shooting here) it and had no update on Leonard other than he hasn’t been cleared for contact practice.

Read on Twitter
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#90 » by donemilio21 » Wed Mar 9, 2022 4:39 pm

Did you see the article that Lue apparently said that he'd rather have Kawhi and PG for regular season than playoffs? Someone needs to tell him that these guys have not played a full season in 3 years. If they start regular season, they will probably need another season ending surgery in February. Get them while you can for playoffs.
KL2
Analyst

Post#91 » by KL2 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:03 am

The reports about Leonard right now are ridiculous.

Woj saying it’s unlikely he returns. Times run out basically but you never know.

Farbod saying that a lot of the players are operating that he’s not returning. He is ahead of schedule but it doesn’t make sense to rush him back for the play in. He’s still doing drills because the door isn’t completely closed but the organization has lost optimism he can return. The window is too short.

We’ve been stuck in the play in for a while. The door closed for 6th seed or better so if they’re not rushing him back for the play in … Announce he’s out. That simple and people would stop asking,
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#92 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Apr 6, 2022 9:52 pm

Law Murray, the Clippers beat writer for The Atlantic was on Sirius NBA radio today. Besides giving up to date info about Powell (may play tonight--kinda up to him--will almost certainly get game time before the play-in), there was this juicy nugget.

"Kawhi's working on his game now. If the Clippers make it to a seven game series (i.e. win a play-in game), there's a reasonable chance Kawhi could play by the end of the series."

Okay, that's a big deal. With PG looking like he's maybe 90% and Powell coming back, we're a ridiculously strong #8 team. If we could beat the T-Wolves to move up to 7 and have a matchup with Memphis ... mmm. I think Memphis has played great this year and I think they're having kind of a dream season. I also think they're (very) young and, well, playoffs are where dreams get shattered. I'd make Memphis a pretty small favorite if Kawhi doesn't play. We could still win that series; I think it would go 6 games minimum.

But the momentum shift if Kawhi came back in, say, game 5 of a 2-2 series would be massive--not to mention his game play even if he's only sorta kinda Kawhi. I'd make us a favorite then--no disrespect to Memphis.

And, tbh, the subsequent matchup with either GS or Utah (especially Utah) wouldn't strike fear in me either. I think we could take that series while ramping up Kawhi...meaning that we'd have a much better team than the one that took the Suns to 6 last year.

Just sayin'. The playoffs look pretty interesting right now. 8-)
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Temper Our Victories 

Post#93 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Apr 7, 2022 1:30 am

TrueLAfan wrote:With PG looking like he's maybe 90% and Powell coming back, we're a ridiculously strong #8 team. If we could beat the T-Wolves to move up to 7 and have a matchup with Memphis... mmm.

And, tbh, the subsequent matchup with either GS or Utah (especially Utah) wouldn't strike fear in me either. I think we could take that series while ramping up Kawhi...meaning that we'd have a much better team than the one that took the Suns to 6 last year.

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Assumptions have been the enemy of the Clippers for years: they have a surefire lead or they think they've automatically won, they'll squander it. Clippers do much better when they're behind than ahead. 3-1 leads, they were all losses. Down 2-0, they won them... well, two out of three, but the key thing in last year's playoffs is that they prevented three 3-0 leads.

And the Clipper's bad luck is still against them. Magical things always happen whenever an opponent draws the Clippers. For example:

2013: Grizzlies rematch. Clippers lost after going up 2-0, Grizzlies got their first conference finals berth ever.
2015: Clippers up 3-1 vs. Rockets, one game away from own debut. Rockets come back, first conference finals in 20 years, DeAndre Jordan joins Mavs before emoji war happened.

Last season was the biggest indicator of bad luck of them all. Former Clipper Chris Paul, could never reach the NBA Finals by himself. Against any other team who would have made the conference finals, he would have lost easily. But against the Clippers, fueled by revenge and helped by their losing history, his window was wide open. First NBA Finals berth ever, because he drew the Clippers.

It sounds like a joke what I'm about to say, but there is a seed of truth here. Want a career high, here's the Clippers. Looking to end a losing streak, here's the Clippers. Never won a playoff series, here's the Clippers. Want a Finals berth, here's the Clippers. Want to save your career, here's the Clippers. Trouble in life, here's the Clippers, MUA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA! Seriously, the Clippers are still a joke in the league despite the many cultural changes they've made, and they are still looked at as this magical franchise where if you defeat them, let alone encounter them, good luck will follow the opposition at the expense of the Clippers.

They need to stop expecting everything to be handed to them, and start putting in the work to earn their right. That's why the whole Leonard thing feels like a test of character for the franchise. You want Leonard, make the playoffs without him, and only three games remain. They can even make it with a losing record should they opt to tank the final few games. But the play-in, they can't tank; they must win that. And only by winning the play-in will Leonard be sure the Clippers are serious about a title run.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: Temper Our Victories 

Post#94 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 7, 2022 4:42 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:With PG looking like he's maybe 90% and Powell coming back, we're a ridiculously strong #8 team. If we could beat the T-Wolves to move up to 7 and have a matchup with Memphis... mmm.

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Assumptions have been the enemy of the Clippers for years: they have a surefire lead or they think they've automatically won, they'll squander it. Clippers do much better when they're behind than ahead. 3-1 leads, they were all losses. Down 2-0, they won them... well, two out of three, but the key thing in last year's playoffs is that they prevented three 3-0 leads.

And the Clipper's bad luck is still against them. Magical things always happen whenever an opponent draws the Clippers. For example:

2013: Grizzlies rematch. Clippers lost after going up 2-0, Grizzlies got their first conference finals berth ever.
2015: Clippers up 3-1 vs. Rockets, one game away from own debut. Rockets come back, first conference finals in 20 years, DeAndre Jordan joins Mavs before emoji war happened.

Last season was the biggest indicator of bad luck of them all. Former Clipper Chris Paul, could never reach the NBA Finals by himself. Against any other team who would have made the conference finals, he would have lost easily. But against the Clippers, fueled by revenge and helped by their losing history, his window was wide open. First NBA Finals berth ever, because he drew the Clippers.

It sounds like a joke what I'm about to say, but there is a seed of truth here. Want a career high, here's the Clippers. Looking to end a losing streak, here's the Clippers. Never won a playoff series, here's the Clippers. Want a Finals berth, here's the Clippers. Want to save your career, here's the Clippers. Trouble in life, here's the Clippers, MUA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA! Seriously, the Clippers are still a joke in the league despite the many cultural changes they've made, and they are still looked at as this magical franchise where if you defeat them, let alone encounter them, good luck will follow the opposition at the expense of the Clippers.

They need to stop expecting everything to be handed to them, and start putting in the work to earn their right. That's why the whole Leonard thing feels like a test of character for the franchise. You want Leonard, make the playoffs without him, and only three games remain. They can even make it with a losing record should they opt to tank the final few games. But the play-in, they can't tank; they must win that. And only by winning the play-in will Leonard be sure the Clippers are serious about a title run.

All true--except this year NOBODY has had a sense of entitlement: we have worked and struggled for every win and every point. [Including tonight's shoulda-been-a-gimme against a resting Suns team lol.]

Trezz was 100% correct that the 2019-20 team had a bullsh*it attitude--and frankly, most of all Kawhi and PG and their private dressing room and arrogant air that all they had to do was show up and we'd waltz to the Finals. But the humiliation in The Bubble sobered them up right quick, and they've been all business, hard work and humility ever since.

You're right in that this franchise has been a toxic mix of dysfunction and arrogance--a perfect description of Lob City too btw--but I think this year's model FINALLY has the Right Stuff.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Not Convinced, Need Proof 

Post#95 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Apr 7, 2022 4:55 am

esqtvd wrote:You're right in that this franchise has been a toxic mix of dysfunction and arrogance--a perfect description of Lob City too btw--but I think this year's model FINALLY has the Right Stuff.

I'm still not convinced. There is still one weakness with the Clippers: defeating their past and overcoming ejections. They have a losing record since the 2015-16 season when a Clipper not named DeAndre Jordan was tossed, and they were eliminated by their former savior.

For me to be proven that the Clippers have truly changed, they must:

1. Defeat Chris Paul, even if it means coming back from down 0-3
2. Overcome a game where one of their players is ejected, especially if it were to happen to Paul George and/or Kawhi Leonard. George has been ejected before, Leonard never has.
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: Not Convinced, Need Proof 

Post#96 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 7, 2022 5:42 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
esqtvd wrote:You're right in that this franchise has been a toxic mix of dysfunction and arrogance--a perfect description of Lob City too btw--but I think this year's model FINALLY has the Right Stuff.

I'm still not convinced. There is still one weakness with the Clippers: defeating their past and overcoming ejections. They have a losing record since the 2015-16 season when a Clipper not named DeAndre Jordan was tossed, and they were eliminated by their former savior.

For me to be proven that the Clippers have truly changed, they must:

1. Defeat Chris Paul, even if it means coming back from down 0-3
2. Overcome a game where one of their players is ejected, especially if it were to happen to Paul George and/or Kawhi Leonard. George has been ejected before, Leonard never has.

I don't think these guys care or even know much about the Clipper Curse.

I do think they regard Clipper history as a blank slate that they can etch their names upon for all time. We have zero banners--we don't even have a retired number!

Sterling is long gone and the new owner is the 9th richest man in the world, loves basketball, and is HUNGRY for a title. The facilities and accoutrements are second to none in all of sports. And if you're lucky enough to get traded to the Clippers, the owner sends his private jet to pick you up.

Neither of our superstars is a media pop star, in fact they're both rather shy, especially compared to other NBAers who make as much from endorsements as they do from basketball. After the Bubble humiliation--and after seeing their teammates step up BIGTIME when they got SERIOUSLY injured--they're the best teammates anyone could ask for. The rest of the team can walk down the street without being molested. And not one of them has won a title either.

You could not ask for a cleaner slate and a better organization to take the court for, or a better bunch of teammates to take the court with. Admit it--we love every one of these guys, and they have all paid their dues either here or elsewhere. And even Kawhi, who has 2 rings--CHOSE to come here. AND re-signed here. A Clippers championship will be Kawhi's as much as anybody's--in a way his other two rings aren't.

We're ALL hungry, from the longest-suffering fan to the newest Clippers Norman Powell and RoCo too. And we're all feeling it. There's magic in the air.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#97 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Apr 7, 2022 4:57 pm

^^ Great points. I mean, a lot of us have been Clipper fans for a long time. The stain of Donald Sterling was and is immense--but it's farther and farther back. If you're a current player, you look at what the Clippers have done and are continuing to try and do-which is build a culture of players that play and act the right way, and get the buy in. The first Kawhi/PG year we didn't have that. We had it last year; looks like we have it now. I really don't see current players looking at playoff results from the Sterling era or even the first year or so after and have much recognition, much less feeling any responsibility to make up for past issues. One of the things that I think the current FO has really tried to do is acknowledge the past, but make it clear that everything is a clean slate now.

Anyway, I'm primarily concerned with beating Minnesota--but that's because, were that to happen, I think we'd have an honest chance to make to the WCF. And I'm not the only one who feels that way--SI is on board too. https://www.si.com/nba/2022/04/06/los-angeles-clippers-paul-george-sleeping-giant-nba-playoffs
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#98 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 7:09 pm

Expectations have been sky high since Leonard and George arrived.

Would be kind of ironic if they made their deepest run with KL coming off an ACL in less than a year. Didn't he have the surgery in late June or something?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#99 » by nickhx2 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 7:10 pm

irony indeed
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#100 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 7, 2022 9:24 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:^^ Great points. I mean, a lot of us have been Clipper fans for a long time. The stain of Donald Sterling was and is immense--but it's farther and farther back. If you're a current player, you look at what the Clippers have done and are continuing to try and do-which is build a culture of players that play and act the right way, and get the buy in. The first Kawhi/PG year we didn't have that. We had it last year; looks like we have it now. I really don't see current players looking at playoff results from the Sterling era or even the first year or so after and have much recognition, much less feeling any responsibility to make up for past issues. One of the things that I think the current FO has really tried to do is acknowledge the past, but make it clear that everything is a clean slate now.

Powell’s first action was a success, both because he was able to come out of it healthy, and he was able to accrue minutes alongside Paul George.

“It was fun,” Powell added. “I was ready to come back. I’m excited for what we’re building here. All the guys are excited, playing along PG, it still doesn’t seem real to me. He was a guy that I looked up to growing up. We had some battles in Toronto in the playoffs, and early on in my career he gave me some words of encouragement – my rookie year, that stuck with me. So being able to play alongside with him, and Kawhi when he gets back healthy, it’s going to be fun. So I’m definitely looking forward to that. I had a great time out there with the guys, so just looking to build.”

Return to Los Angeles Clippers