Welcome Justise Winslow

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,180

Re: Welcome Justise Winslow 

Post#41 » by og15 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:59 pm

Clippers are likely looking at the long game too. Clippers as an over cap and tax team need to constantly have young players at the end of the bench who can maybe become something. They won't be big players in the FA market via cap space and won't have high draft picks.

With a one year contract, they won't have Bird Rights on Dennis, so unless he wants the small raise from the TMLE (he wouldn't), he's just a one and done rental. So from that standpoint, signing 2nd round picks to keep the flow of young players is more valuable than adding Schroder to the many guards on the roster.

In regards to BSing players, it certainly can and does work at the front end, but it can backfire during the season if promise can't be met, and it certainly doesn't help you further retain players past the one season. It does depend, it doesn't always work out so well, but certainly you can say, "I'll get them on the team and figure out the rest later", lol
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#42 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:11 pm

Schroder is mediocre, has a selfish entitled attitude, and is an anti-vaxxer. That's why it took so long for him to find a team and why he had to settle for so little money.

Drummond also isn't much of a "score." How people still overrate this guy and his empty stats is beyond me.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#43 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:21 pm

og15 wrote:Clippers are likely looking at the long game too. Clippers as an over cap and tax team need to constantly have young players at the end of the bench who can maybe become something. They won't be big players in the FA market via cap space and won't have high draft picks.

With a one year contract, they won't have Bird Rights on Dennis, so unless he wants the small raise from the TMLE (he wouldn't), he's just a one and done rental. So from that standpoint, signing 2nd round picks to keep the flow of young players is more valuable than adding Schroder to the many guards on the roster.

In regards to BSing players, it certainly can and does work at the front end, but it can backfire during the season if promise can't be met, and it certainly doesn't help you further retain players past the one season. It does depend, it doesn't always work out so well, but certainly you can say, "I'll get them on the team and figure out the rest later", lol

Right- only time will tell if each of the decisions were good or bad, but I do see the strategy. It started with the Kennard contract, actually Terence Mann's contract. We also extended Zubac earlier than later for a good deal IMO. Early commitment to buy an extra year or 2 of cost containment to try to maintain roster continuity around Kawhi and PG. Not every contract is going to be a winner, we just need to hit more than we miss.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#44 » by TrueLAfan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:14 pm

Yeah, I’m not a fan of Schroder. Neither, apparently, are most NBA teams. He’s one of those players whose numbers never seem to correlate well with team success. I think part of that is that he’s misused; he’s a Lou Williams type player. Not a true point, scores well. I think the ball sticks in his hands a bit, and he’s a little better as a reserve. And I also think there’s a reason why he ended up with the salary he ended up with. The Magic quote was poorly timed and simplistic … but probably not untrue. Like I said, everyone passed on him at 9-10 million.

Andre Drummond is a great player in 2000; now, not so much. Bigger numbers or not, the Lakers were a better team with Marc Gasol on the court.

Totally agree with og15/madmax about the signings. Those 2 year deals also give us a little bit more continuity and flexibility.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#45 » by esqtvd » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:57 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Yeah, I’m not a fan of Schroder. Neither, apparently, are most NBA teams. He’s one of those players whose numbers never seem to correlate well with team success. I think part of that is that he’s misused; he’s a Lou Williams type player. Not a true point, scores well. I think the ball sticks in his hands a bit, and he’s a little better as a reserve. And I also think there’s a reason why he ended up with the salary he ended up with. The Magic quote was poorly timed and simplistic … but probably not untrue. Like I said, everyone passed on him at 9-10 million.

Andre Drummond is a great player in 2000; now, not so much. Bigger numbers or not, the Lakers were a better team with Marc Gasol on the court.

Totally agree with og15/madmax about the signings. Those 2 year deals also give us a little bit more continuity and flexibility.

Even more true of Justise Winslow. As an either/or, Schroder is far more the proven NBA player.

As for giving unproven players an extra year, T-Mann is the only hit. Whatever money we saved was wasted on Fi, Sindarius and Jawun Evans. Frankly I think it's a CYA by the FO to try to make it look like they're doing something for all those millions Ballmer throws at them. The strategy is still questionable, but with little accountability, why the hell not?

As for Zubac at $7M being preferable to Drummond at the minimum, I'm not sure about that either. I'm not a huge Drummond fan but I'm not sure Zubac [6.3/5.8/minus-0.9 in the playoffs] is quite as valuable as his fans believe him to be.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#46 » by Vae Victus » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:45 pm

Yea i dont like the Winslow signing for the TPMLE. Would rather have gone after Milsap who can fill in at PF/C small ball lineups. Winslow at the vet min is a fine signng, at a large portion of the TPMLE is rather disappointing, as it means there isnt any other interesting signings that can be made.

Whatever, next year is gonna be a loss year anyway, with Kawhi out. Just focus on development, value increasing players for future trades, and building chemistry.

Best case scenario is to fluff the value of certain players (PatBev, Rondo, Morris, Ibaka, Zubac, Kennard) and package them with promising young talent (Mann) to try to trade for a more impactful player. Easy to say and hard to do, but what else is there to do.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#47 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Feb 3, 2022 4:05 pm

Well he still can’t shoot, but he is turning into yes another pretty good glue guy.

Here’s a cool vid of him-
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#48 » by clipsfever » Thu Feb 3, 2022 6:21 pm

He's such a unique collection of strengths and liabilities, but certainly fun to watch him bully opposing guards... Lue starting to figure out how to deploy him?

Not sure he'd fit w/ Kawhi and PG entirely since you can't kick it out to him for the three... but its interesting with him in the block and Luke/Boston/Mann/Coffey arrayed around him... completely positionless ball

Return to Los Angeles Clippers