ImageImageImageImageImage

The Clippers' Winning Culture

Moderators: og15, QRich3, TrueLAfan

User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 7,147
And1: 1,934
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#1 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:05 am

Our winning culture is why Kawhi joined up--as long as Ballmer got him a co-star in PG. And now PG is really holding up his end while Kawhi is out.


And I credit Mike Dunleavy for originally pulling us out of Sterling's toilet and Doc for continuing what Chris Paul started--and Chris deserves most of the credit for it. Look at the Suns. It's Chris's team. Made the Finals with a bunch of kids and still kicking ass. Unfortunately, with Blake around and DJ eating up the rest of the sal cap, this was NEVER Chris's team.


All props to PG carrying this team now--and to Reggie, who is getting PG's back even while not playing all that well. If Blake had done that for Chris, things might have been different.

I don't think Chris left the Clippers--he left Blake and DJ. And history has proven him right.

I miss Chris; BG and DJ, not at all. Chris is 36, you're 33. Chris is making $40M a year and you're playing for the league minimum sucking Durant's and LeBron's diks, you fkn losers. :lol:
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Clemenza
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,851
And1: 2,909
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: California
   

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#2 » by Clemenza » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:25 am

Facts.. you can actually see that we have a winning mindstate with this team. Ballmer and Lue and been really good for the organization
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 7,147
And1: 1,934
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#3 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:43 pm

Clemenza wrote:Facts.. you can actually see that we have a winning mindstate with this team. Ballmer and Lue and been really good for the organization



They have kept it going, yes. Winning cultures take a while to dissipate and even longer to build. We have the winning habit and the Sacs and the Wolves are bloody hopeless.

I'm enjoying watching the Spurs circling the bowl at last. Not a Popovich fan. :wink:
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Vae Victus
Analyst
Posts: 3,721
And1: 1,655
Joined: Jun 09, 2013

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#4 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 7, 2021 12:45 am

Other than the last mega stinker of a game, PG13 has played like a bonifide superstar that he was billed as.

A shame he couldnt show this version of himself last playoffs.

With Kawhi out, everyone else is gonna have alot of shots available. I'm expecting big seasons out of Kennard, RJax, Morris, and even Zubac. They all know theyre gonna get the rock. They better be ready to do something with it.

If the Clippers play strong the whole year, i wouldnt be shocked if Kawhi decided to try playing to see if he can provide a strong 20-24 mins a game in the playoffs.
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 12,802
And1: 15,231
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#5 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Nov 7, 2021 7:58 pm

I will never understand why some of our fans have such an irrational hate boner for Blake, even though he was inarguably the player who turned the franchise around. Even the CP3 stans should love Blake for being the reason why their guy came here.

Also, the Suns are Boooker and Ayton's team, not CP3's. Kicking ass? He was mediocre at best in the playoffs except for when he got to face a Rivers/Campazzo backcourt, they won multiple playoff games without him and he had his annual playoff chokejob in the Finals.
Image
Clemenza
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,851
And1: 2,909
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: California
   

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#6 » by Clemenza » Sun Nov 7, 2021 8:00 pm

Vae Victus wrote:Other than the last mega stinker of a game, PG13 has played like a bonifide superstar that he was billed as.

A shame he couldnt show this version of himself last playoffs.

With Kawhi out, everyone else is gonna have alot of shots available. I'm expecting big seasons out of Kennard, RJax, Morris, and even Zubac. They all know theyre gonna get the rock. They better be ready to do something with it.

If the Clippers play strong the whole year, i wouldnt be shocked if Kawhi decided to try playing to see if he can provide a strong 20-24 mins a game in the playoffs.

He had some great playoff games last season and of course a couple of stinkers thrown in. We don't make the WCF if he wasn't playing well. Right now he's pretty much continuing his play from the post season with Kawhi still out.
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 7,147
And1: 1,934
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#7 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 7, 2021 9:19 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:Other than the last mega stinker of a game, PG13 has played like a bonifide superstar that he was billed as.

A shame he couldnt show this version of himself last playoffs.

With Kawhi out, everyone else is gonna have alot of shots available. I'm expecting big seasons out of Kennard, RJax, Morris, and even Zubac. They all know theyre gonna get the rock. They better be ready to do something with it.

If the Clippers play strong the whole year, i wouldnt be shocked if Kawhi decided to try playing to see if he can provide a strong 20-24 mins a game in the playoffs.

He had some great playoff games last season and of course a couple of stinkers thrown in. We don't make the WCF if he wasn't playing well. Right now he's pretty much continuing his play from the post season with Kawhi still out.



Exactly. This post is about winning culture, not performance in the playoffs. Blake was never a "culture" person or a leader of any kind. That's why he was promptly dumped to NBA Siberia in Detroit when it became "his" team and he proved he couldn't lead it. And DJ was trash after he left too. I always thought he was freeloading here.

And yes, I would also especially credit PG as well, who bounced back from the Pandemic P HUMILIATION to become THE team leader. And he's still doing it.


https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2021-11-06/clippers-ivica-zubac-breakout-game-eric-bledsoe-next

    “I didn’t start the season how I wanted to,” he said.

    Zubac finished with 14 points and 14 rebounds, and his defense started the Clippers’ first 20-point rally since 2019. It inspired teammate Paul George to deliver a motivational message to the 7-foot Croatian center.

    “From now on there’s no going back,” George said. “You get a rebound and you rip that away. I don’t care if you hurt somebody in the process. You rip that ball and you own that ball. You saw that tonight.

    “… He owned his space and he was a dominant presence on the boards, so I was very proud of him.”
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 12,802
And1: 15,231
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#8 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Nov 7, 2021 10:14 pm

esqtvd wrote:Blake was never a "culture" person or a leader of any kind.

Total nonsense. The culture you're boasting about started with him.
Image
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 7,147
And1: 1,934
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#9 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 7, 2021 10:43 pm

PG is walking the walk


https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/paul-george-reacts-to-being-la-clippers-leader-this-season


    A season ago, Paul George had a completely different mindset entering the season. He entered the 2020-21 season with a massive chip on his shoulder after what happened against the Denver Nuggets in the playoffs. This season, George has a much clearer mindset after helping carry the Clippers to their first-ever Western Conference Finals appearance.


    "Now this year there's a lot of consistency, just in my life alone, my approach," Paul George said. "There's a lot of consistency. I know what I'm doing. I know what I'm getting into. I know what I'm facing. So it's night and day, night and day. I feel like I'm a lot more clear-headed, a lot more focused, and just sharper coming into the situation."

    While the Clippers say they're coming into the season with the mindset to win, it's realistically hard to have expectations about this season. One thing fans should hope for is that the team competes. After what we've seen during last year's playoffs, that shouldn't be a problem.

    "Again, I can't reiterate any more than saying I'm just ready," George said. "I'm ready for this in whatever capacity it is. I'm ready for the challenge."
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
User avatar
donemilio21
Starter
Posts: 2,481
And1: 441
Joined: Aug 20, 2009
Location: Santa Barbara
   

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#10 » by donemilio21 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 10:01 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I will never understand why some of our fans have such an irrational hate boner for Blake, even though he was inarguably the player who turned the franchise around. Even the CP3 stans should love Blake for being the reason why their guy came here.

Also, the Suns are Boooker and Ayton's team, not CP3's. Kicking ass? He was mediocre at best in the playoffs except for when he got to face a Rivers/Campazzo backcourt, they won multiple playoff games without him and he had his annual playoff chokejob in the Finals.

Blake made us a national TV staple and made kids become Clipper fans. No doubt.
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 26,584
And1: 9,155
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#11 » by TheNewEra » Mon Nov 8, 2021 10:20 pm

Side note I hope winning these games will boost attendance back up
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 7,147
And1: 1,934
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#12 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 9, 2021 12:36 am

donemilio21 wrote:Blake made us a national TV staple and made kids become Clipper fans. No doubt.


But we didn't win until Chris came. Blake is simply not a "culture" guy. Blake is for Blake and he was a dog once in Detroit. He stopped rebounding and started lofting threes.

CP3 has won everywhere he goes. His New Orleans team wasn't terribly impressive and he still led them to 56 wins. 44 wins in a 72-game season at OKC. And nobody EVER said this about Blake Griffin. :wink:

“Greatest Leader to Play this Game” – Devin Booker Hails Chris Paul’s Leadership Following NBA Finals Game 1 Win

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nba-basketball-news-greatest-leader-to-play-this-game-devin-booker-hails-chris-pauls-leadership-following-nba-finals-game-1-win/

    CP3’s acquisition instantly elevated Phoenix to title contenders. In a power-packed Western Conference, Paul’s signing with the Suns saw them instantly leap-frog the competition. The franchise went from a below .500 team with a 34-39 record, to a .708 contender with a 51-21 record in the regular season.

And most importantly, CP did the same thing with the Clippers. We went from 32-50 [.390] in Blake's first full season to 40-26 [.606] in a strike-shortened season and won our first playoff series EVER. Yes, there are other factors, but the difference is Chris.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Wammy Giveaway
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,734
And1: 655
Joined: Jul 30, 2013
Contact:

Today's Games 

Post#13 » by Wammy Giveaway » Tue Nov 9, 2021 6:08 am

Two games today featured nasty ejections: one by Jokic on Morris after a bush league take foul (which is going to give the Competition Committee ulcers as it forces them to re-evaluate take fouls as a whole and the Hack-A-Shaq strategy), followed by Rondo with an overhead elbow shot to the head of Rozier.

The Clippers have zero ejections. Last year, they avoided ejections all through the regular season. That streak was ruined in Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals with Beverley shoving Paul en route to elimination. They do have techs and flagrants right now (George and Zubac respectively), but the team as a whole have not yet to deal with a player or coach getting tossed.

Whenever somebody gets ejected, it means the franchise is evil. Leonard's Spursian qualities prevent the team from letting personal emotions get in the way of business. They want to win, yes - but they want to win the title with the utmost respect, dignity and professionalism. For a franchise that has been the butt of jokes for years under the evil Donald Sterling, and to be transformed by way of:

1. Steve Ballmer, the anti-Sterling whose billions are for nurturing a competitor and not his personal interests
2. Jerry West, Mr. Logo with the Golden Touch that can make any entire franchise competent with his wisdom
3. Kawhi Leonard, playing for the good of basketball and all of humanity
4. Tyronn Lue, the coach with a penchant of pulling off herculean feats to break droughts and end curses

The Clippers are in uncharted territory.
NickP
Senior
Posts: 671
And1: 387
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#14 » by NickP » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:50 pm

esqtvd wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:Blake made us a national TV staple and made kids become Clipper fans. No doubt.


But we didn't win until Chris came. Blake is simply not a "culture" guy. Blake is for Blake and he was a dog once in Detroit. He stopped rebounding and started lofting threes.

CP3 has won everywhere he goes. His New Orleans team wasn't terribly impressive and he still led them to 56 wins. 44 wins in a 72-game season at OKC. And nobody EVER said this about Blake Griffin. :wink:

“Greatest Leader to Play this Game” – Devin Booker Hails Chris Paul’s Leadership Following NBA Finals Game 1 Win

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nba-basketball-news-greatest-leader-to-play-this-game-devin-booker-hails-chris-pauls-leadership-following-nba-finals-game-1-win/

    CP3’s acquisition instantly elevated Phoenix to title contenders. In a power-packed Western Conference, Paul’s signing with the Suns saw them instantly leap-frog the competition. The franchise went from a below .500 team with a 34-39 record, to a .708 contender with a 51-21 record in the regular season.

And most importantly, CP did the same thing with the Clippers. We went from 32-50 [.390] in Blake's first full season to 40-26 [.606] in a strike-shortened season and won our first playoff series EVER. Yes, there are other factors, but the difference is Chris.

I'm sure we've won playoff series before CP3 got here. I do remember choking all our second round series very clearly with CP3.
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 7,147
And1: 1,934
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#15 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 9, 2021 7:30 pm

NickP wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:Blake made us a national TV staple and made kids become Clipper fans. No doubt.


But we didn't win until Chris came. Blake is simply not a "culture" guy. Blake is for Blake and he was a dog once in Detroit. He stopped rebounding and started lofting threes.

CP3 has won everywhere he goes. His New Orleans team wasn't terribly impressive and he still led them to 56 wins. 44 wins in a 72-game season at OKC. And nobody EVER said this about Blake Griffin. :wink:

“Greatest Leader to Play this Game” – Devin Booker Hails Chris Paul’s Leadership Following NBA Finals Game 1 Win

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nba-basketball-news-greatest-leader-to-play-this-game-devin-booker-hails-chris-pauls-leadership-following-nba-finals-game-1-win/

    CP3’s acquisition instantly elevated Phoenix to title contenders. In a power-packed Western Conference, Paul’s signing with the Suns saw them instantly leap-frog the competition. The franchise went from a below .500 team with a 34-39 record, to a .708 contender with a 51-21 record in the regular season.

And most importantly, CP did the same thing with the Clippers. We went from 32-50 [.390] in Blake's first full season to 40-26 [.606] in a strike-shortened season and won our first playoff series EVER. Yes, there are other factors, but the difference is Chris.

I'm sure we've won playoff series before CP3 got here. I do remember choking all our second round series very clearly with CP3.



You are correct--we did win ONE playoff series before in our history, in 2006--and promptly went into the toilet, finishing 40-42 the next year, then 23-59 followed by an abominable 19-63. That playoff win had ZERO lasting effect on our culture.

We did not have another winning season until CP's arrival in 2011--and have not had a losing season since. Again, this about culture, not necessarily playoff performance. As a fan since the day they came here in 1984, I appreciate the difference. :-)
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NickP
Senior
Posts: 671
And1: 387
Joined: Aug 20, 2020
 

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#16 » by NickP » Tue Nov 9, 2021 8:19 pm

I agree that CP3 is a real good player but CP3 is also a real good choke artist.
The Suns were extremely lucky to run through injured teams in the playoffs last year. There should definitely be an asterisk to that conference finals.
Yes this thread is about winning and let's not forget that CP3 had a prime Blake, DJ at his defensive best and a sniper in JJ.
Blake made the Clippers more fun and exciting to watch. This cannot be denied.
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 7,147
And1: 1,934
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#17 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:14 pm

NickP wrote:I agree that CP3 is a real good player but CP3 is also a real good choke artist.
The Suns were extremely lucky to run through injured teams in the playoffs last year. There should definitely be an asterisk to that conference finals.
Yes this thread is about winning and let's not forget that CP3 had a prime Blake, DJ at his defensive best and a sniper in JJ.
Blake made the Clippers more fun and exciting to watch. This cannot be denied.


Again, it's not about playoffs, in fact it's intentionally not about the playoffs--it's about the grind of the regular season and a winning culture sustains you through that.

As for the rest, CP is going to the HOF. First ballot. The others are not. Ever. Ballmer dumped Blake like a dog 3 months after making him Clipper For Life, and it wasn't about the playoffs, it was about culture and Blake simply could not lead one. (In fact I daresay he's a net negative.)

https://sportsnaut.com/clippers-owner-chemistry-issues-led-trade-blake-griffin/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 9,316
And1: 4,536
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal
     

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#18 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:26 am

The drafting of Blake Griffin started our resurgence, but it took trading him to take it further up the ladder.

Chris Paul is a great player, but I never jived with him personality-wise.

Paul George has definitely redeemed himself after the 2019/20 season and playoffs. He’s not perfect but I enjoy rooting for him and this entire Clipper squad.
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 7,147
And1: 1,934
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#19 » by esqtvd » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:32 am

madmaxmedia wrote:The drafting of Blake Griffin started our resurgence, but it took trading him to take it further up the ladder.

Chris Paul is a great player, but I never jived with him personality-wise.

Paul George has definitely redeemed himself after the 2019/20 season and playoffs. He’s not perfect but I enjoy rooting for him and this entire Clipper squad.


He was never loved by his teammates here but Chris brought the intensity and the focus of winning basketball that neither Blake nor DJ ever had. We had it briefly with Sam I Am, but that era passed in the blink of an eye before it had time to take hold in the org. Sam played only one full season here--that magic 2006 campaign--and parts of 2 others, only 176 games total in a Clipper uni.

And BTW, that Odom-Miles-QRich-Maggette-Brand bunch never even had a winning season. Amazing but true. Fool's gold.

Image


As for PG, in writing this series and reviewing Clipper history, I'm appreciating what he's accomplishing more and more, This is not Kawhi's team, and maybe never was.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 9,316
And1: 4,536
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal
     

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#20 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:29 am

Off the top of my head, maybe 40-42 was their best year?

The 99-00 squad was one of my favorites because they were fun to watch, most of the core wasn’t even of legal drinking age but they played hard and got a lot better by year end. But yeah it ended being mostly unfulfilled potential over the next couple of seasons.

I think Lamar could have been a great player instead of just a pretty good one, it’s unfortunate personal issues and troubles got in the way. He was almost a proto-Paul George (minus the jumper) his first couple years with a few triple doubles early in his career.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers