Game 17: Dallas Mavs @ Los Angeles Clippers: Nov 21 12:30 PM PST NOTE TIME

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: Game 17: Dallas Mavs @ Los Angeles Clippers: Nov 21 12:30 PM PST NOTE TIME 

Post#41 » by TheNewEra » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:44 am

Kelphus wrote:Random thoughts:
Has Zu won a single tip-off so far this season?
Serge is solid but we need more.
Will Morris be back any day now, and how must rust will he have?
What would we do without Reggie and PG13?
Missing Leonard, Morris, and Batum, and Ibaka not back in full form yet, we were lucky Doncic was not playing. We won't be so lucky Tuesday night.

Lucky the team was able to get points other places while Reggie started cold. Biggest thing was he was efficient with his shots because just getting a bunch of shots up to get the same amount of points is hard to handle. His defense tonight was the best of the season for his role
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#42 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:10 pm

LamarWho wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Am I crazy for thinking that Jalen Brunson is the exact type of player the Clippers are missing?

He's super solid as someone who will never be an all star. He reminds me of Kyle Lowry with his toughness. I think alot of teams will go after him when his contract is up, whenever that is.

On a more realistic side, I think Rick Rubio is an amazing fit for what we need. Too bad we got Rondo instead of him with the Lou trade.

Rubio is probably still gettable (AFAIK?), but getting a competent and YOUNG guy like Brunson would make a lot of difference on this roster.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#43 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:18 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
clipsfever wrote:We need a rotation where Ibaka's minutes don't come at Zu-Enstein's expense... don't like Big Hart only getting 5 mins tonight...

Was wondering exactly the same thing. My best explanation is Coach is old school. The New Guy has to elbow his way up through the rotation so nobody has any doubt that you earned it.

Doc made a starter out of Lakers reject Zubac. Zu was a REJECT, playing in G-League--the Lakers dumped him for MUSCALA. :rofl2: And Zu was USELESS in the GSW series--Doc had to bench him for J-Myke and Trezz.

But Zu had a VERY effective game tonight. So Ty left him in, while working Serge back in. Frankenhartenstein awaits. Patiently. Zu is averaging 10 and 8 against NBA starters. I'm not convinced he's Crunch Time material--Ty yanked him again today with 3 minutes left--but I'm not ready to say minimum-wage Trad 5 Hartenstein should be getting any of Zu's minutes either.

Ibaka is the x-factor here. Remember, Senior was Ty's small ball 5 last year. Tonight at 3:22, Coffey was put in for Zubac with PG-Reggie-Mann-Kennard and a 5-point lead. Surely an up-to-speed Ibaka would be preferable to a two-way player?

The lakers trade was for cap flexibility but you can run with that narrative if you like and getting benched today in the hopes other guys could get going. We don’t win this game without his production and it’s not even debatable.

There was a stat on the telecast yesterday, when Zu gets a double-double (or something like that) the Clippers have a surprisingly great record.

Of course the answer is not to try to get Zu a ton of touches every night. But he's a good, consistent defender and interior presence, and when he has a higher scoring game it's almost always on high efficiency since he doesn't get a lot of shots (his 'misses' are mainly fumbling passes...) So when he does get a double-double, he's probably had a significantly positive impact on he team.

But he's a situational player in today's game, primarily on the defensive end. I think our usage of him is pretty good right now to maximize what he can bring and minimize what he can't. Even developing a reasonable 3-pointer isn't going to change that (but tripling his lateral quickness on D would...)
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#44 » by TheNewEra » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:25 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Was wondering exactly the same thing. My best explanation is Coach is old school. The New Guy has to elbow his way up through the rotation so nobody has any doubt that you earned it.

Doc made a starter out of Lakers reject Zubac. Zu was a REJECT, playing in G-League--the Lakers dumped him for MUSCALA. :rofl2: And Zu was USELESS in the GSW series--Doc had to bench him for J-Myke and Trezz.

But Zu had a VERY effective game tonight. So Ty left him in, while working Serge back in. Frankenhartenstein awaits. Patiently. Zu is averaging 10 and 8 against NBA starters. I'm not convinced he's Crunch Time material--Ty yanked him again today with 3 minutes left--but I'm not ready to say minimum-wage Trad 5 Hartenstein should be getting any of Zu's minutes either.

Ibaka is the x-factor here. Remember, Senior was Ty's small ball 5 last year. Tonight at 3:22, Coffey was put in for Zubac with PG-Reggie-Mann-Kennard and a 5-point lead. Surely an up-to-speed Ibaka would be preferable to a two-way player?

The lakers trade was for cap flexibility but you can run with that narrative if you like and getting benched today in the hopes other guys could get going. We don’t win this game without his production and it’s not even debatable.

There was a stat on the telecast yesterday, when Zu gets a double-double (or something like that) the Clippers have a surprisingly great record.

Of course the answer is not to try to get Zu a ton of touches every night. But he's a good, consistent defender and interior presence, and when he has a higher scoring game it's almost always on high efficiency since he doesn't get a lot of shots (his 'misses' are mainly fumbling passes...) So when he does get a double-double, he's probably had a significantly positive impact on he team.

But he's a situational player in today's game, primarily on the defensive end. I think our usage of him is pretty good right now to maximize what he can bring and minimize what he can't. Even developing a reasonable 3-pointer isn't going to change that (but tripling his lateral quickness on D would...)

Hasn’t been very situational at all and his ability to get points has kept the team in a better position this season. Let’s be real here that Reggie and Bledsoe are having one of the worse shooting seasons of their career and the team is missing both PF’s and had both banged up at different times. With Mann struggling to get his shot going and Luke operating with more defensive pressure Zu has filled in a big role for this team.

Getting Zu more touches should be a answer to counter the guard position having a horrible shooting season. Zubac being efficient with his shots is better than waiting for Reggie to heat up shooting 0-7
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#45 » by TheNewEra » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:30 pm

Vae Victus wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:Well no Batum for a while but Amir did his thing today

2 shots 3 points, 5 rebs, 2 assts

PLUS+21 [team best]

ADD: Winslow 10 minutes 0 points MINUS-10

talk about unplayable...

Winslow looks 2 steps slow, cant shoot 3s and his playmaking/defense isnt there at all. He's gonna banished to the nether realm soon and his mins be taking by hungry youngsters like Coffey and Boston.

Justise will still get run because they want to limit playing George at PF as much as possible
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,066

Post#46 » by og15 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:16 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
LamarWho wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Am I crazy for thinking that Jalen Brunson is the exact type of player the Clippers are missing?

He's super solid as someone who will never be an all star. He reminds me of Kyle Lowry with his toughness. I think alot of teams will go after him when his contract is up, whenever that is.

On a more realistic side, I think Rick Rubio is an amazing fit for what we need. Too bad we got Rondo instead of him with the Lou trade.

Rubio is probably still gettable (AFAIK?), but getting a competent and YOUNG guy like Brunson would make a lot of difference on this roster.

Rubio was making about $10 million more than those guys, so it would have been quite a bit more difficult trade to work out.

He's definitely looking to score more than ever, guy is at 15 ppg taking 5.7 3PA/G
ShaqFTs
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#47 » by ShaqFTs » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:05 am

Montrezl Harrell: 24 PTS (10-13 FGM), 18 REB (career high) with the surprisingly strong Wizards right now. I miss him.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#48 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:31 am

ShaqFTs wrote:Montrezl Harrell: 24 PTS (10-13 FGM), 18 REB (career high) with the surprisingly strong Wizards right now. I miss him.

Trezz needs to be loved. He's very fragile mentally and even more so now after his grandmother's death. He's probably not championship material so The Wiz is perfect for him.

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/montrezl-harrell-on-getting-mvp-chants-at-the-ft-line-i-swear-i-hate-it-the-first-one-i-start-to-get-into-my-head-like-damn-theyre-chanting-mvp-what-if-i-miss
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#49 » by nickhx2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:17 pm

Go watch his playoff games then see how much you miss him then
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#50 » by NickP » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:45 pm

So we won a 12:30 PM game.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#51 » by nickhx2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:10 pm

also i think rubio would be a near perfect get for this team but with us not having any real assets of worth, i just don't see how we'd get a deal completed with the cavs
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#52 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:55 pm

nickhx2 wrote:Go watch his playoff games then see how much you miss him then

Trezz took the fall for KL and PG's failures in The Bubble but despite his mental and physical problems he still averaged 20 points per 36 minutes. And the year before he averaged 25 per 36 vs GSW.

At $6M per year he was one of the NBA's best bargains. Not to mention his 6MOY. If the Wiz make the playoffs at all this year it will be because of Trezz. That counts too.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers