ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers SELLERS at trade deadline? Argh!

Moderators: og15, QRich3, TrueLAfan

Kelphus
Junior
And1: 336

Clippers SELLERS at trade deadline? Argh! 

Post#1 » by Kelphus » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:47 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265421/Clippers-Could-Become-Sellers-At-Trade-Deadline

Hope this gossip is not true. There is no need to tank the season. The youngsters are getting some great experience, PG13 and Kawhi will be back before playoffs. A healthy Clippers team will be very dangerous regardless of their ultimate seeding.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 20,616

Re: Clippers SELLERS at trade deadline? Argh! 

Post#2 » by og15 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:03 am

Seems like speculation, not sure what they will be selling to acquire. Team isn't getting a lottery pick or potential lottery pick by trading anyone, at least I don't think so.

Kelphus wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265421/Clippers-Could-Become-Sellers-At-Trade-Deadline

Hope this gossip is not true. There is no need to tank the season. The youngsters are getting some great experience, PG13 and Kawhi will be back before playoffs. A healthy Clippers team will be very dangerous regardless of their ultimate seeding.

...but the speculation is based on the recent news that PG might be out for the remainder of the season.
Clemenza
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,002

Post#3 » by Clemenza » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:09 am

og15 wrote:Seems like speculation, not sure what they will be selling to acquire. Team isn't getting a lottery pick or potential lottery pick by trading anyone, at least I don't think so.

Kelphus wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265421/Clippers-Could-Become-Sellers-At-Trade-Deadline

...but the speculation is based on the recent news that PG might be out for the remainder of the season.

If Kawhi and PG aren't coming back and a team like Boston, Cleveland, or Philly would give a first round pick for Morris it would be really hard for our front office to turn that down. That's IF Kawhi and PG are shut down for the season
madmaxmedia
General Manager
And1: 4,601

Post#4 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:51 pm

Clemenza wrote:
og15 wrote:Seems like speculation, not sure what they will be selling to acquire. Team isn't getting a lottery pick or potential lottery pick by trading anyone, at least I don't think so.

If Kawhi and PG aren't coming back and a team like Boston, Cleveland, or Philly would give a first round pick for Morris it would be really hard for our front office to turn that down. That's IF Kawhi and PG are shut down for the season

This is a good point. I mean if we are sellers right now, its with next season in mind and not 3 seasons from now. We are probably willing to sell high (relatively speaking) for lots of our guys, if we anticipate making subsequent moves in the offseason if needed (packaging picks, etc.) I don't think we are going out of way to dump salaries though.

Morris is not spectacular but has been a good Clipper and one of solid vets. If he's continues to stay healthy and play well, I think he is a good asset for a team that wants to build for a playoff push (that still could be us though...)
Bobbymcgee
Senior
And1: 479

Post#5 » by Bobbymcgee » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:43 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952391-paul-george-injury-could-dictate-la-clippers-direction-at-trade-deadline

If the above article is true then I say finally, some common sense. This is definitely a gap year for the team. Use it to develop the young guys. Clippers should trade Ibaka if they can to save 40 million dollars. Totally make sense to do so. They should trade Marcus Morris and look for cheaper options in the off-season. He has been too inconsistent. The Bledsoe for Dragic deal mentioned sounds highly unlikely but that would be awesome if it came to fruition.
nickhx2
General Manager
And1: 4,300

Post#6 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 pm

damn i wonder what we've been doing this whole time to begin with, putting all the young guys on the backburner so guys like mann, kennard, zubac, coffey, boston, and hartenstein could get tons of burn in the RS.

what a waste of time
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 965

Post#7 » by TrueLAfan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:03 am

I think some people are looking at this the wrong way. The reason we could be "sellers" is because we have developed players that give us tradable assets. In the past years--nobody was going to trade for Sindarius. We were never going to get much for Oturu or Kab once they had started play and people had seen them in the NBA and G-League. We had nothing of value to trade.

Things are different. Hartenstein has already scored more points than Oturu and Kab had/have in their entire careers. Boston has signposts that say he might be a really good scorer in the NBA. Johnson was hurt to start with, but has shown enough to indicate he has value. Coffey has become a good back of the rotation player; that has value. I know Winslow is like a bad word to some people—but his play in the past month or so, at both PF and C, has been good. That’s just a start, but—yeah. Those guys are all under 25; many 23 or under.

And what that also means is that if, for instance, Winslow seems to be healthy (big if—the team knows more than us) and Hartenstein can keep giving us 15-18 mpg, then Ibaka or Batum or Morris—or two of them!—become tradeable. And combing, say, Batum and Boston could get us something really good. Could it get us Coby White? Because that would instantly make Bledsoe a tradeable asset as well—and his play and contract give him value too.

Anyway, I’m glad we’re seen as sellers. Means we have desirable players not named Paul George or Kawhi Leonard. I’m cool with that.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,649

Post#8 » by Max Headrom » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:24 am

The person that wrote this article is a hack that is never right. He's also a Laker fan that writes for the ESPN of online sports reports, Lakers, I mean Bleacher Report
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 445

Post#9 » by donemilio21 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:09 pm

If Memphis and Cleveland can sustain .600+ records, so should we even without PG or Kawhi.
Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
And1: 2,740

Post#10 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:32 am

donemilio21 wrote:If Memphis and Cleveland can sustain .600+ records, so should we even without PG or Kawhi.

that's a tall task, especially considering the fact that more players have been out besides PG and Kawhi- such as Hartenstein, Morris, Kennard, Batum, and Jackson.
esqtvd
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#11 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:05 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:If Memphis and Cleveland can sustain .600+ records, so should we even without PG or Kawhi.

that's a tall task, especially considering the fact that more players have been out besides PG and Kawhi- such as Hartenstein, Morris, Kennard, Batum, and Jackson.

says it all

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 445

Post#12 » by donemilio21 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:31 pm

We should be buyers if there is a player that we can afford to get. I just wish we had some draft assets.
Levert for Bledsoe + 2nd round pick ?
how about both Sabonis and Levert? are we willing to trade any of our young players?
Whatever we do, it has to be with next season in mind, so going after players who'd fit the Kawhi and PG next year should be the only reason we'd trade away any draft assets or young players, and even then I'd really wouldn't want to trade Boston or Preston, because how cheap their contracts are.
Clemenza
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,002

Post#13 » by Clemenza » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:12 pm

donemilio21 wrote:We should be buyers if there is a player that we can afford to get. I just wish we had some draft assets.
Levert for Bledsoe + 2nd round pick ?
how about both Sabonis and Levert? are we willing to trade any of our young players?
Whatever we do, it has to be with next season in mind, so going after players who'd fit the Kawhi and PG next year should be the only reason we'd trade away any draft assets or young players, and even then I'd really wouldn't want to trade Boston or Preston, because how cheap their contracts are.

Levert is hurt all the time and big man wise I think we're good with Zu and Hart. Boston might actually be just as good if not better than Levert by this time next season. Also have to wait to see what Keon and Preston turn into. If anything I'm seeing if I can get a first round pick Morris Sr. and/or move Serge for a solid point guard
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 607

Post#14 » by Goner » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:23 pm

esqtvd wrote:says it all

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

We are also number one in games missed due to injury, above Orlando, when you adjust for them holding out players to help their tank (Jonathan Isaac).
KL78192020
General Manager
And1: 8,521

Post#15 » by KL78192020 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:09 am

The clippers will be in that 7-10 range for the playin games. If George and Kawhi come back just for the play in game, Clips should make the playoffs. Maybe a few games earlier just to warm up and practice. Would be an interesting 1 vs 8 match, they could beat the Suns or Warriors at that point if those two guys are healthy.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers