ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers SELLERS at trade deadline? Argh!

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,304

Re: Clippers SELLERS at trade deadline? Argh! 

Post#21 » by nickhx2 » Fri Feb 4, 2022 5:25 pm

agree, definitely a dilemma

imo ibaka's just clearly the most expendable because hart is too good and zubac is integral. so i think get what you can for him, keep batum/morris for any potential playoff runs (even if it looks like a first and out), because giving playoff experience to our youth is immeasurably important for them. and also not like we have a pick anyway.

i'd also add that i'd much rather have the younger guys in the current situation than in the one where they're playing big minutes of losing basketball. brandon boston is not a good player right now. keon johnson is low impact, and preston's not back yet. instead they're learning what it takes to play the right way, in games that actually matter, and where playing badly or making mistakes is costly. boston's like 50/50 a potential legit star or a jamal crawford-like chucker so putting these guys on the right track is vitally important.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#22 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Feb 4, 2022 6:54 pm

nickhx2 wrote:agree, definitely a dilemma

imo ibaka's just clearly the most expendable because hart is too good and zubac is integral. so i think get what you can for him, keep batum/morris for any potential playoff runs (even if it looks like a first and out), because giving playoff experience to our youth is immeasurably important for them. and also not like we have a pick anyway.

i'd also add that i'd much rather have the younger guys in the current situation than in the one where they're playing big minutes of losing basketball. brandon boston is not a good player right now. keon johnson is low impact, and preston's not back yet. instead they're learning what it takes to play the right way, in games that actually matter, and where playing badly or making mistakes is costly. boston's like 50/50 a potential legit star or a jamal crawford-like chucker so putting these guys on the right track is vitally important.

+1 to the bolded. I think Brandon in particular, you want to give him some leash to figure things out, but not too long or he's just going to play the same low efficiency basketball he played last year at Kentucky. They need to be given some room to make mistakes, but also need to learn the consequences of those mistakes.

I completely agree Boston could end up a star in best case scenario, or a (worse than) Jamal Crawford chucker in worst case.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#23 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 4, 2022 8:17 pm

Well Powell could help.

But Clippers may be making more moves.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#24 » by esqtvd » Sat Feb 5, 2022 1:18 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:agree, definitely a dilemma

+1 to the bolded. I think Brandon in particular, you want to give him some leash to figure things out, but not too long or he's just going to play the same low efficiency basketball he played last year at Kentucky. They need to be given some room to make mistakes, but also need to learn the consequences of those mistakes.

I completely agree Boston could end up a star in best case scenario, or a (worse than) Jamal Crawford chucker in worst case.

Yep. Nobody learns ANYTHING playing bad basketball. That's why the Kings and Pistons have been on a perpetual treadmill and why the Wolves made their best move in years in getting Pat Bev. A winning culture creates wins, not vice-versa.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#25 » by Vae Victus » Sat Feb 5, 2022 6:56 pm

If im the Clippers id look to spin RoCo's expiring + minors assets for a PG upgrade, sending RJax to be the main backup combo guard. Ideally someone with at least 2 years left on their deal.

A dream trade would be RoCo + young prospect or two + future SRP for DeJounte Murray. SAS spins RoCo somewhere else in a 3way for an expiring plus more assets. SAS at this point should be tanking and keeping Murray is pointless, as his value goes further down as his contract ticks away and he's not worth retaining at big money in their sitaution until they get some blue chip draft prospects or somehow luck into signing superstars.

Murray has 2 more years past this season, isnt making too crazy of money, is a two way Pop system player.

Roster for next year under contract would be. while still having tax payer MLE to use
C - Zubac, Hart
PF- Morris, Batum
SF- Kawhi, Powell
SG- PG13, Kennard
PG- Murray, RJax

That bench has proven theyre basically a play-in level squad. Having healthy starters would be godlike.

While getting someone of Murray's caliber is a moon shot, i dont see the point of keeping RoCo around as he's an expiring and im not too keen on extending him.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#26 » by Kelphus » Sun Feb 6, 2022 2:22 am

Well, I think we can definitively say that the story that spawned this thread was BUNK!!! Clippers took on another 20 million in cap penalties, and opened up a spot for Coffey. And Lawrence Frank says they're not done... Let's go Clippers, let's go!
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#27 » by nickhx2 » Sun Feb 6, 2022 2:47 am

i mean i thought it was pretty clear the article was tripe and the writer's words are a waste of space lol

"bro, one GM completely unrelated to the team looked at the clippers and, like, he THINKS they have moveable assets, and paul george MIGHT not come back, and this one dude i know who thinks he knows how kawhi thinks is thinking that kawhi probably wouldn't come back early because load management and all that, so if THAT happens, then the clippers MIGHT want to sell"

that's literally the gist of the article and it's trash lol
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#28 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:40 pm

Wow Ibaka a huge gift to the Bucks, who were worried about Brook Lopez returning from back surgery.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#29 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:34 pm

All in all I am really happy with the trade deadline, we were hoping for more but had the Powell trade happened today we'd be ecstatic. Kennard, Morris, etc. are still pretty good Clippers and if Morris can hold up for another year, both can help on a healthy Clipper squad.

Hopefully our chemistry will get better from here on out, not only the new players but trade deadline uncertainty was surely on the minds of some of the guys.

The Lakers seem to be in horrible spirits after no deadline moves, they may pass us in the next week or 2 but pretty sure we'll get back in front of them after the break. Our main competition for #8 should be the Pelicans, ironically both our teams upgraded after trades with Portland. Who knows what both teams' chances are for getting our superstars back, nothing is happening for either team until after the break.

In the offseason we will need to consolidate some guys, but that's still a good problem to have. Even though we didn't get significant return for Ibaka (not that he had much trade value), saving some money here and there makes it more likely we'll commit to a significant move later even if it costs us more tax. And getting that TPE is like a snooze button on his cap spot.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#30 » by nickhx2 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:58 pm

just want to add

trash can article by a trash can writer

Return to Los Angeles Clippers