ImageImageImageImageImage

GAME #45: Pacers @ Clippers MLK DAY matinee: MONDAY 1/17 12:30P

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Re: GAME #45: Pacers @ Clippers MLK DAY matinee: MONDAY 1/17 12:30P 

Post#21 » by NickP » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:47 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Coffey is legit. Very reminiscent of Ty, CJ and Jamil stepping up to keep us competitive a few years ago.

I don't think any franchise has gotten more out of the two-way contract system than the Clippers.

I agree except Coffey is proving to be more talented than those guys you mentioned.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,204

Post#22 » by Max Headrom » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:49 am

It's amazing to see how Coffey is playing now when we pretty much wrote him off after how bad he looked during the summer. But he's worked on his game and he looks further in his development than Mann who we all thought would come back strong after his play in the playoffs.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#23 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:03 am

Max Headrom wrote:It's amazing to see how Coffey is playing now when we pretty much wrote him off after how bad he looked during the summer. But he's worked on his game and he looks further in his development than Mann who we all thought would come back strong after his play in the playoffs.

I wasn't sold. Subtract Mann's "breakout" 39-point game vs Utah and his averages were...well, average. Coffey was always the more aggressive of the two, more attacking, more instant offense--just what we need right now. He's getting minutes from Mann but it's hard to say which one will best complement Kawhi and PG [and Kennard] when we're at full strength.

Still, a good problem to have. I do hope that Coffey is rewarded with a real contract and some real NBA money--he's only made peanuts as a two-way so far.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,096

Post#24 » by LamarWho » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:10 am

Finally a fun to watch game thanks to Pacers defense. Fluke game from Batum but I'll take it.:P

Coffey is seizing the opportunity for sure. Glad to see hard work pays off.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#25 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:34 am

esqtvd wrote:
KL2 wrote:Some good news finally. Winslow (questionable) and Kennard (doubtful) are both out of health and safety protocols.

Kennard has been out since January 1. That's no "protocol." Just sayin'.

perhaps Kennard was slow in recovering from covid. Clippers could definitely use him. Aside from today, the offense has really been struggling
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#26 » by KL2 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:36 am

Happy to see Batum start hitting those killer 3’s again.

What happens to someone like Moon now? We don’t have anyone in H/S protocols anymore.

Max Headrom wrote:It's amazing to see how Coffey is playing now when we pretty much wrote him off after how bad he looked during the summer. But he's worked on his game and he looks further in his development than Mann who we all thought would come back strong after his play in the playoffs.

I’m not saying they should but I wonder if they’d entertain trading Mann with Coffey showing he’s ahead of Mann?
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#27 » by NickP » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:40 am

LamarWho wrote:Finally a fun to watch game thanks to Pacers defense. Fluke game from Batum but I'll take it.:P

Coffey is seizing the opportunity for sure. Glad to see hard work pays off.

Agree except when it comes to Batum I don't think it's fluke. He was once a very good offensive player and is capable of this output when needed.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,746

Post#28 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:38 am

KL2 wrote:Happy to see Batum start hitting those killer 3’s again.

What happens to someone like Moon now? We don’t have anyone in H/S protocols anymore.

I’m not saying they should but I wonder if they’d entertain trading Mann with Coffey showing he’s ahead of Mann?

Coffey’s emergence at least gives us more options for moves. Most of us like both guys obviously, but Mann no longer is an untouchable piece that couldn’t for example be packaged in a bigger acquisition for us.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#29 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:52 am

Clemenza wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:Coffey legit been our best player

Looking at his contract I believe he's already on paper with us for $1.5 million next season

Right around now would be our typical time to extend Coffey to a 2 year extension at a very team friendly rate.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

Testing The Grounds 

Post#30 » by Wammy Giveaway » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:06 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:Coffey legit been our best player

Looking at his contract I believe he's already on paper with us for $1.5 million next season

Right around now would be our typical time to extend Coffey to a 2 year extension at a very team friendly rate.

If there's any reason why Coffey has not been converted to a regular contract yet, Clippers seem to view him as a long term project. However, he might just be one of those guys who plays best when it's a contract year. To put it in layman's terms, Coffey needs to do something spectacular in order to get a contract... say, get them into the playoffs for a bird contract. But if he helps them win a series in a year the Clippers are treated as a lottery team, he could get an even bigger deal.

So yeah, it's one of those "tests" things.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,951

Post#31 » by Bobbymcgee » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:14 am

Glad to see the veteran players step up and win one for the team. Solid game from Batum and Jackson.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#32 » by playaloc916 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:48 pm

Good team win. The Brewmaster continuing his solid play. Coffey seems to be a better playmaker than Mann, so he fits better with the starting lineup. 7 assists and 0 turnovers while hitting 3's at a decent clip and playing solid defense - all while playing within the offense... Can't ask for much else.

Next game is against Denver again, hopefully the guys will maintain a little momentum and get another win.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,224

Re: Testing The Grounds 

Post#33 » by Clemenza » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:44 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Looking at his contract I believe he's already on paper with us for $1.5 million next season

If there's any reason why Coffey has not been converted to a regular contract yet, Clippers seem to view him as a long term project. However, he might just be one of those guys who plays best when it's a contract year. To put it in layman's terms, Coffey needs to do something spectacular in order to get a contract... say, get them into the playoffs for a bird contract. But if he helps them win a series in a year the Clippers are treated as a lottery team, he could get an even bigger deal.

Yeah his agent is probably making sure he's not signing sh*t until the season ends, especially if he keeps improving. Clipps could've easily done an early cheap 3 year $6 million dollar deal on him similar to what they gave Brandon Boston & TMann but "yesterday's price is not today's price". I understand cause he looked really bad in summer league and at the start of the season.

Having him run point and putting Reggie of the ball might be a revelation. We need to see more of that. This eight game road trip will decide what direction we're heading towards season wise.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Re: Testing The Grounds 

Post#34 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:29 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Wammy Giveaway wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Yeah his agent is probably making sure he's not signing sh*t until the season ends, especially if he keeps improving. Clipps could've easily done an early cheap 3 year $6 million dollar deal on him similar to what they gave Brandon Boston & TMann but "yesterday's price is not today's price". I understand cause he looked really bad in summer league and at the start of the season.

Having him run point and putting Reggie of the ball might be a revelation. We need to see more of that. This eight game road trip will decide what direction we're heading towards season wise.

I think Coffey has exceeded expectations this year for sure, but we also have to put things in perspective- he's emerged as probably a solid core rotational player, rather than a good minutes filler last season.

I think given a chance, he would be inclined to take a fair extension now rather than gamble on a bigger payday in another year- just like Mann did. When we are healthy we have depth at the wings, and Coffey's minutes next year are still not a known thing yet. I think a solid 2 year extension though would cement his place on the team and give both sides some certainty going forward- we would have another cap-friendly roster spot and he would have the commitment from us of a core roster spot.

He's shooting particularly well the last 10 games (52% FG, 45% 3FG) and I expect that to level off somewhat. That's okay, if he can just maintain his current production level at his previous career shooting numbers (45%/39%) that would be good enough IMO given his overall strengths.

Remarkably he was actually shooting just 39.5% FG and 29.9% 3FG in 7 G-League games this year on fairly high volume, prior to his recent emergence.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#35 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:34 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
KL2 wrote:Some good news finally. Winslow (questionable) and Kennard (doubtful) are both out of health and safety protocols.

Kennard has been out since January 1. That's no "protocol." Just sayin'.

perhaps Kennard was slow in recovering from covid. Clippers could definitely use him. Aside from today, the offense has really been struggling

They never said he GOT the Rona, only in protocols. That was the point--looks like did get it. OTOH, he's not doing a stint at Agua Caliente for reconditioning, so it was likely not a bad case. Some guys take weeks to get their strength back.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#36 » by esqtvd » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:32 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers