Game 55: Milwaukee Bucks @ LA Clippers—SUNDAY 2/6 6PM PT: NOTE TIME

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Re: Game 55: Milwaukee Bucks @ LA Clippers—SUNDAY 2/6 6PM PT: NOTE TIME 

Post#61 » by og15 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 6:24 pm

nickhx2 wrote:lucas hann mentioned it a couple days ago in that he thinks when kawhi and paul george are back, that powell's gonna replace reggie in the starting lineup because paul george has mostly been playing the distributor role in this offense.

which kinda scares me cause pg is, well, not really that good at that role lol. and you might have a bit too much scoring in the lineup, depending on who's playing at the 4/5. but maybe it works? idk. if i were ty lue and planning for that, though, i'd be asking paul george to practicing his handle with his only good arm, since he was already attempting shots with it anyway.
Yea, I don't really like point guard PG, I think it's been a good attempt to teach him that role, but George is a secondary ball handler and playmaker, not a primary one. Now, with Kawhi though, there are enough sets in there where he would be doing less creating and Kawhi will be the one making the plays, so it is better, but still, if we're talking about "ideal", George being relieved from that primary playmaker role would be ideal.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#62 » by Clemenza » Mon Feb 7, 2022 6:35 pm

We have a serious overlap in the same players right now. Kawhi, PG, RoCo, Batum, Ibaka, Morris, Mann, Kennard, Coffey, Boston, etc. Of course Boston will be moved to the back burner but one or two of these guys has to be expendable now unless Ty can figure this thing out. I'm thinking Morris might be on the move as he's older and has the bigger contract outside of the stars.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Post#63 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Feb 7, 2022 6:51 pm

I guess Mann can't be traded until the offseason, since he has an extension that hasn't kicked in yet.

The FO can definitely do another 2-for-1 or 3-for-2 trade to further consolidate, we have 4 or 5 pieces to package in different ways depending on the trade partner. The main thing is that I don't think we're making any moves unless we're getting equal or better value in return, if there's nothing out there we can now even keep Ibaka through the end of the year as insurance big since we have the room to convert Coffey now.

I think the ideal scenario would be to pick up a starter-level true PG, so Powell can focus on scoring and Reggie can be 1/2 combo guard off the bench.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#64 » by nickhx2 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 7:10 pm

og15 wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:lucas hann mentioned it a couple days ago in that he thinks when kawhi and paul george are back, that powell's gonna replace reggie in the starting lineup because paul george has mostly been playing the distributor role in this offense.

which kinda scares me cause pg is, well, not really that good at that role lol. and you might have a bit too much scoring in the lineup, depending on who's playing at the 4/5. but maybe it works? idk. if i were ty lue and planning for that, though, i'd be asking paul george to practicing his handle with his only good arm, since he was already attempting shots with it anyway.
Yea, I don't really like point guard PG, I think it's been a good attempt to teach him that role, but George is a secondary ball handler and playmaker, not a primary one. Now, with Kawhi though, there are enough sets in there where he would be doing less creating and Kawhi will be the one making the plays, so it is better, but still, if we're talking about "ideal", George being relieved from that primary playmaker role would be ideal.

agree completely

my own personal thought is they went at the whole thing completely backwards. it really should have been kawhi being the focal point with the option to create out of the post, with some triangle sets peppered in to diversify the offense.

whatever the case, being the primary initiator for the bulk of the offense is not optimal at all, given what we've seen so far.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#65 » by Vae Victus » Mon Feb 7, 2022 8:50 pm

Yup, we need a consolidation trade of our wings and getting back a starting level PG.

My ideal target at this time would be Malcolm Brogdan. His trade value should be pretty down due to him constantly fighting injuries, but he would be a nice fit in the starting lineup and pushing RJax to lead the bench unit.

Since Brogdan recently signed an extension, he wont be tradeable until the end of the season, which kinda sucks as both Ibaka and RoCo will be expiring by then.

I was thinking a deal centered around Kennard + 1 or 2 of our young prospects (Mann, Coffey, Boston Jr) + SRP/cash. Indiana gets to clear long term money and get back some nice young prospects. Clippers roll out a lineup of

C - Zubac, Hartenstein (likely resigned for cheap)
PF- Morris, RoCo or Ibaka (one of them will be resigned IMO), Batum
SF- Kawhi, Batum, Mann or Coffey (one or both might be gone in the deal)
SG- PG13, Powell, Mann or Coffey
PG- Brogdan, RJax

It's a nicely balanced roster. Indy fans naturally think they can get good value out of Brogdan, but i highly doubt it, with his injury history. But when healthy, he'd be an amazing 3rd/4th option.

Another target that intrigues me is Lonzo Ball. With his current injury, they're playing their rookie SRP PG massive minutes and he's been producing so far. Maybe the Bulls will move off of Lonzo to save money or to bolster another position of need. Lonzo is an elite defender, elite fast break player, and has transformed himself into an excellent 3pt shooter. Since Kawhi and PG13 will do another ball handling in half court sets, it minimizes Lonzo's weakness there. An ideal trade is Marcus Morris + something minor for Lonzo Ball, and then re-sign RoCo to start at PF.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Post#66 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Feb 7, 2022 9:59 pm

I think they’ve been pretty happy with him, but Lonzo with our roster would be amazing IMO.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#67 » by esqtvd » Mon Feb 7, 2022 10:05 pm

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#68 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 8, 2022 1:58 am