ImageImageImageImageImage

Norman Powell - Broken Foot

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,441

Re: Norman Powell - Broken Foot 

Post#41 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:30 pm

Looking at the 2019 NBA Finals stats I noticed that Powell hardly played. Was he injured? Was he a liability in some way? I didn't watch those finals that closely so I can't remember
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Post#42 » by esqtvd » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:59 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Looking at the 2019 NBA Finals stats I noticed that Powell hardly played. Was he injured? Was he a liability in some way? I didn't watch those finals that closely so I can't remember

Yes, he started just 3 regular season games that year and averaged only 8.6 ppg. He took off the next year and really hit his stride after being traded to Portland the season after.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,431

Post#43 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:33 pm

Powell is an interesting player. He seems to have hit his stride and found his ceiling—and it’s pretty damn high. He’s a borderline all-star level player. He came into the league as a D player who could hopefully develop into a 3 and D player, which he’s done and then some. For some reason—maybe to get opposing players/coached to sleep on him—he’s listed at 6’3” and that’s his height—barefoot. At 6’ 4” plus (in shoes) and with the 6’10.75” wingspan, he’s a big SG that can guard SFs. Those threes definitely developed; 38% career, and 41% over the last four years. He’s averaged over 18 a game over the last three years on ridiculous efficiency and few turnovers. He’s only an okay passer and he’s a poor rebounder. Thing is, if he was a good passer and a good rebounder, he’d be an all-star, max level player. The difference in value between in Powell and Tobias, for instance, is small IMHO. But the difference in salary next year—about $20 million—is enough for us to sign RoCo with enough left over to, hopefully, keep Batum.

I’m really curious to see what Powell brings to us next year. He sure appears to be an ideal #3 guy that can be a #2 when/if needed.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,761

Post#44 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:52 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Powell is an interesting player. He seems to have hit his stride and found his ceiling—and it’s pretty damn high. He’s a borderline all-star level player. He came into the league as a D player who could hopefully develop into a 3 and D player, which he’s done and then some. For some reason—maybe to get opposing players/coached to sleep on him—he’s listed at 6’3” and that’s his height—barefoot. At 6’ 4” plus (in shoes) and with the 6’10.75” wingspan, he’s a big SG that can guard SFs. Those threes definitely developed; 38% career, and 41% over the last four years. He’s averaged over 18 a game over the last three years on ridiculous efficiency and few turnovers. He’s only an okay passer and he’s a poor rebounder. Thing is, if he was a good passer and a good rebounder, he’d be an all-star, max level player. The difference in value between in Powell and Tobias, for instance, is small IMHO. But the difference in salary next year—about $20 million—is enough for us to sign RoCo with enough left over to, hopefully, keep Batum.

I’m really curious to see what Powell brings to us next year. He sure appears to be an ideal #3 guy that can be a #2 when/if needed.

It still boggles my mind that we even have him, his contract (and overall skill set) is absolutely perfect for us. Yeah he could also be a lockdown defender or better passer or whatever, but then we'd never have been able to add him.

With our coach and culture, it's hard for me to imagine him not finding his synergistic role on the team over course of next season.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#45 » by TheNewEra » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:14 pm

Healthy Norm should be even better than what we saw
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#46 » by Ballings7 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:56 pm

Watched Norm a lot on Toronto.. he'll be an energizer and bring offensive bursts like Reggie but stronger. Tough defender too. Looking forward to see him play next season.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics

Return to Los Angeles Clippers