ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 Trade Deadline Thread: Conley/VanVleet/Lowry/etc. (Updated thread)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: 2023 Trade Deadline Thread: Conley/VanVleet/Lowry/etc. (Updated thread) 

Post#101 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 2, 2023 6:27 am

playaloc916 wrote:I'm not loving any of these rumours so far. FVV is a good player, I just don't see a major need for such a costly point guard when both PG and Kawhi are going to be handling the ball a lot. Unless it's a top tier floor general type player like CP3 or Luka, I don't think the point guard is going to move the needle much. The "chemistry" with Kawhi is also overblown IMO. If a point guard is a must, I'd go with Conley.

The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with losing Kennard. I know he's one of the most talented 3 pt shooters in the league, but unless he's wide open, he can get shut down too easily. Might be a good idea to sell high and nab a solid 4/5. Morris being moved, to me is addition by subtraction. Team scoring will take a hit, but I'd much rather have a better big (starter or backup) who can focus on defense, rebounding, etc.

Depending on if the team can get a big man, I'm okay keeping Mann as the starting "point guard". He's not a point guard, but we need the energy he brings. Other teams all have youth and energy, but Clips don't have any consistently serviceable young players except for Mann.

Reggie QBing the second unit and playing the 4th quarter is working so far. Over the last 6 wins [he sat out the Cavs embarrassment], Reggie is 3rd on the Clippers in plus/minus behind only KL and PG at plus+7.0.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional?LastNGames=7&PerMode=PerGame&TeamID=1610612746&dir=A&sort=PLUS_MINUS

Time to shelve the "eye tests"--Mann is the only regular in the red at minus-2.3. Kennard is next at PLUS+3.3.

Mann still might be ok as the placeholder starter when Marcus gets back but playing BOTH Mann and Kennard together in the Bulls win was a disaster [1-12, 5 points, 4 rebs, 2 assists in 37 MINUTES]. Neither can get his own shot, and neither can Zubac. 3 out of 5 is just too much offensive dead weight. Kennard might be able to play some pseudo-point guard depending on matchups, Mann when we need D and Kennard when we need to stretch the offense.

If we don't get Conley, Ty needs to give Wall one more shot, which would solve a lot of problems. Ty stuck with Norman Powell after one of the most horrible starts in NBA history and it's paying off bigtime. And although the commentariat is panting for RoCo to take Marcus's minutes, as someone who's watched him [and liked him] for years, you'll be hating on him in no time lol.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#102 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 2, 2023 11:41 pm

Read on Twitter
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,956

Post#103 » by ejftw » Fri Feb 3, 2023 12:10 am

Thank God, I don't want Van Vleet as it is, let alone giving up Mann in return

Well, unless Morris/Wall gets it done, which, clearly won't.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#104 » by Ballings7 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 1:36 am

Not opposed to Lowry or Conley at all.

Older PGs from what they were, yes - but crafty and mentally tough, and both will be a better threat from 3PT than Wall (so far I've been wrong on Wall, overall) in the Clips system. I also think a change of scenery and motivation will boost their games.

In the playoffs, the game still slows down on both ends, and intangibles matter more.

I believe either Lowry/Conley are obtainable without giving up Mann.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,952

Post#105 » by Bobbymcgee » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:02 am

Kind of warming up to the idea of the Clippers trading for Russell if they can get Reid as well. Russell has been playing well with Ant as the ball dominant wing player. I think he would fit in well playing alongside George and/or Leonard in the same capacity. Something Powell was supposed to be doing all along but has only just started to. Maybe the Clippers can move Powell as well in a separate trade for more big man depth or a more traditional point guard if they pick-up Russell/ Reid.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#106 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:11 am

you can do this, J-Wall
update your software

Read on Twitter
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#107 » by KL2 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 6:28 am

7 days and counting. Going to be a long week waiting.

I want to be optimistic but it’s tough.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#108 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:49 pm

Conley/Lowry would just be another Rondo or Wall. FVV is overrated and will cost too much in a trade. And anyone pushing for DLo, I question whether they've actually watched him play this year. The front office should try to get Caruso.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#109 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Feb 3, 2023 5:38 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Conley/Lowry would just be another Rondo or Wall. FVV is overrated and will cost too much in a trade. And anyone pushing for DLo, I question whether they've actually watched him play this year. The front office should try to get Caruso.

I understand what you are saying, but Conley is definitely a better overall player and fit than Rondo would be.

Lowry does seem washed up, I agree- but he does have good chemistry with Kawhi
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,746

Post#110 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Feb 3, 2023 6:14 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Conley/Lowry would just be another Rondo or Wall. FVV is overrated and will cost too much in a trade. And anyone pushing for DLo, I question whether they've actually watched him play this year. The front office should try to get Caruso.

I think Conley is still significantly better than Rondo or Wall, but I wouldn't want to give up significant assets for him.

I would really like Caruso if he's capable of starting at PG for us (I believe he is), and if there's a good fit trade with Bulls. He would cost less than FVV and has a very reasonable contract. We could then try to find that athletic big as well, maybe try to get John 'Less Than a 1st' Collins.

I still remember being at the 'Alex Caruso game' in 2019 when he exploded vs. the Clippers.
PeteyPablo
Rookie
And1: 804

Post#111 » by PeteyPablo » Fri Feb 3, 2023 6:55 pm

ARE WE TRADING FOR KYRIE IRVING ???
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#112 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:06 pm

PeteyPablo wrote:ARE WE TRADING FOR KYRIE IRVING ???

No, Kyrie's throwing another public temper tantrum so the Nets will cave in and pay him.
KL2
Analyst

Post#113 » by KL2 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:38 pm

The Nets won’t cave imo. I can totally see the Clippers trading for him. Attempt to anyway.

I can see the Lakers using their picks to get it done.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#114 » by nickhx2 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 9:14 pm

man we are in some desperate times if you guys want kyrie irving of all people on this team
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#115 » by clipperlover » Fri Feb 3, 2023 9:24 pm

KL2 wrote:The Nets won’t cave imo. I can totally see the Clippers trading for him. Attempt to anyway.

I can see the Lakers using their picks to get it done.

A package of Marcus Morris, Luke Kennard and John Wall gets it done.

Sending Reggie to go play with Durant again is also a possibility. We could bring back Royce O'Neal or Nic Claxton in that in deal.

Would free up rotation minutes also.

Not a huge fan of Kyrie, but it is an expiring deal and we could work a sign and trade with him in the off-season.

We could offer the same deals for Ben Simmons also. He would help solidify the roster and the D. He is getting 3+ stls/gm in about 1/3 of all his games.
KL2
Analyst

Post#116 » by KL2 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 10:14 pm

nickhx2 wrote:man we are in some desperate times if you guys want kyrie irving of all people on this team

I don’t want him here but I can see the Clippers being interested.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2023-02-03/los-angeles-clippers-john-wall-nba-trade-rumors

Multiple people across the league said the Clippers have been proactive in seeking trade partners for Wall and are considering the possibility of buying out the former five-time All-Star if a trade doesn’t materialize.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,952

Post#117 » by Bobbymcgee » Fri Feb 3, 2023 10:41 pm

Clippers should shoot their shot at trying to get Kyrie Irving. I think the Nets are going to be limited on trade partners because Irving is a free agent this summer. I don't see that as an issue though going to Los Angeles.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#118 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Feb 3, 2023 10:48 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:Clippers should shoot their shot at trying to get Kyrie Irving. I think the Nets are going to be limited on trade partners because Irving is a free agent this summer. I don't see that as an issue though going to Los Angeles.

As great of a player as Kyrie is, I don't want him on this team.

I find it hard to cheer for a person who I disagree with so much and who's views I find reprehensible
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#119 » by nickhx2 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 11:20 pm

SAME
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#120 » by donemilio21 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 11:23 pm

Would we be a better team if Kyrie was our starting point guard ?
I believe that is extremely questionable. While he is undoubtedly better than Mann, Reggie, Wall or Kennard as a player, he is not a good fit.
I think from the point guards that are available and mentioned, Conley would be the best fit. Also we can sacrifice 2 rotation players but not 3. I'm totally fine trading Boston or Preston too.

or dare I say it.... CP3? :D

Return to Los Angeles Clippers