ImageImageImageImageImage

FIRST ROUND PLAYOFF PREVIEW: Clippers vs Suns

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Full schedule 

Post#21 » by Dynamix » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:09 pm

Couldn't help noticing that the Lakers (and Grizzlies, of course) will get two days of rest after each of Game 1 & 2, while we get a two-day break only once, if the series returns to Phoenix for Game 5. Interesting.

Read on Twitter
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,116

Re: FIRST ROUND PLAYOFF PREVIEW: Clippers vs Suns 

Post#22 » by og15 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:11 pm

Westbrook, there's no beef:
https://youtu.be/1BvZb3Cq6L4

It's easier to win on depth against teams with "heliocentric" stars. So for example if the Suns were more of a one man show type team where there is one main guy carrying things.

It's happened before with a team like that, where they win the minutes that player is on, but they lose much more in the minutes they are off and they lose the series.

This is not the case in this series, so we can't simply expect a depth overload. The Suns can easily stagger their lineups to have balanced units when their whole starting unit isn't on.

The Clippers starters will have to avoid getting in holes, because we can't guarantee that a bench unit will be able to close the gap.

I keep forgetting the Suns have Terrence Ross, I guess he could be of some use to them on both ends to rotate with the other two guys on Kawhi, but I'm not really concerned that any of these guys will do much to him.

My thought is that avoiding early deficits will go a long way. Phoenix could be a tough team to play from behind against. Suns don't get to the rim a lot, Clippers have that in their pocket in that jumpshots can always be prone to droughts, so Clippers will have to take advantage of those moments.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,179

Post#23 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:28 pm

At this point, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the league still screws us with the schedule every year even when we move into the new arena.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,894

Post#24 » by ejftw » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:38 pm

Cyclips wrote:
esqtvd wrote:yay no matinee

Read on Twitter

Of course the NBA put the Lakers in the marque timeslot on ABC.

Fine by me, I don't want any matinee games
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Re: Full schedule 

Post#25 » by og15 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:06 pm

Dynamix wrote:Image

Couldn't help noticing that the Lakers (and Grizzlies, of course) will get two days of rest after each of Game 1 & 2, while we get a two-day break only once, if the series returns to Phoenix for Game 5. Interesting.

Read on Twitter

The two old teams should be getting rest to maximize the series entertainment. Clippers are younger, sorta, so less rest might be advantage the Clips over Phoenix, but Kawhi is the Clippers main guy and we always like his body to rest.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,400

Post#26 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:14 am

og15 wrote:Westbrook, there's no beef:

It's easier to win on depth against teams with "heliocentric" stars. So for example if the Suns were more of a one man show type team where there is one main guy carrying things.

It's happened before with a team like that, where they win the minutes that player is on, but they lose much more in the minutes they are off and they lose the series.

This is not the case in this series, so we can't simply expect a depth overload. The Suns can easily stagger their lineups to have balanced units when their whole starting unit isn't on.

The Clippers starters will have to avoid getting in holes, because we can't guarantee that a bench unit will be able to close the gap.

I keep forgetting the Suns have Terrence Ross, I guess he could be of some use to them on both ends to rotate with the other two guys on Kawhi, but I'm not really concerned that any of these guys will do much to him.

My thought is that avoiding early deficits will go a long way. Phoenix could be a tough team to play from behind against. Suns don't get to the rim a lot, Clippers have that in their pocket in that jumpshots can always be prone to droughts, so Clippers will have to take advantage of those moments.

seems like Westbrook is much more at ease being with the Clippers- I like his demeanor
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#27 » by og15 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:32 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
og15 wrote:Westbrook, there's no beef:

seems like Westbrook is much more at ease being with the Clippers- I like his demeanor

Yea, playing on the Lakers and with LeBron was clearly a drain on Westbrook.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#28 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:27 pm

Any expectations on when George will be back? I'd kind of like to see him. I hate playoff injuries. I think it would be a great matchup if he is back. Looks like he is shooting 3s in practice. I think if you push it to game 6 without him, and he comes back for that one at nearly full strength, you'd likely win that one and push it to 7. Suns haven't been good the last two years when facing elimination themselves. Booker has been very bad in game 6 vs Bucks and game 7 vs Dallas.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#29 » by og15 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:35 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Any expectations on when George will be back? I'd kind of like to see him. I hate playoff injuries. I think it would be a great matchup if he is back. Looks like he is shooting 3s in practice. I think if you push it to game 6 without him, and he comes back for that one at nearly full strength, you'd likely win that one and push it to 7. Suns haven't been good the last two years when facing elimination themselves. Booker has been very bad in game 6 vs Bucks and game 7 vs Dallas.

It's really a mystery, I'd guess game 3 or 4 could be a possibility, but that's guessing, there's no official report. If Clippers split the first two and then get George for the rest of the series, things get very interesting.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#30 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:13 pm

og15 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Any expectations on when George will be back? I'd kind of like to see him. I hate playoff injuries. I think it would be a great matchup if he is back. Looks like he is shooting 3s in practice. I think if you push it to game 6 without him, and he comes back for that one at nearly full strength, you'd likely win that one and push it to 7. Suns haven't been good the last two years when facing elimination themselves. Booker has been very bad in game 6 vs Bucks and game 7 vs Dallas.

It's really a mystery, I'd guess game 3 or 4 could be a possibility, but that's guessing, there's no official report. If Clippers split the first two and then get George for the rest of the series, things get very interesting.

Oh yeah, I think even if they are down 2-0, things are still interesting. Suns were up 2-0 against the Bucks and Mavs the last two years, and the Clips were down 2-0 2 years ago, losing both games at home.

And yes, the Suns didn't have KD, then, but I wouldn't underestimate having a younger Paul, Bridges, Cam Johnson and Crowder.

I look at it more - Kawhi = KD (though KD has had absurd efficiency this year..but we all know Kawhi is one of only players to take his game to another level himself, and also had games where he was like 13/15 from the floor).

PG=Booker

So after that you decide who you like from depth. Paul is up and down. Westbrook has played well. In a nutshell Paul is quite a bit better and a lot smarter player, but they are kind of going in opposite directions again.

Ayton/Landale vs Zubac/Plumlee - I think you outrebound the Suns....and maybe are more efficient...Ayton has been up and down. His D has been suspect this year.

After that I think your depth crushes the Suns' depth.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,726

Post#31 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:17 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
og15 wrote:

Oh yeah, I think even if they are down 2-0, things are still interesting. Suns were up 2-0 against the Bucks and Mavs the last two years, and the Clips were down 2-0 2 years ago, losing both games at home.

And yes, the Suns didn't have KD, then, but I wouldn't underestimate having a younger Paul, Bridges, Cam Johnson and Crowder.

I look at it more - Kawhi = KD (though KD has had absurd efficiency this year..but we all know Kawhi is one of only players to take his game to another level himself, and also had games where he was like 13/15 from the floor).

PG=Booker

So after that you decide who you like from depth. Paul is up and down. Westbrook has played well. In a nutshell Paul is quite a bit better and a lot smarter player, but they are kind of going in opposite directions again.

Ayton vs Zubac/Plumlee

Here's to our health and yours as well (we will sometimes make jokes about Chris Paul here and there, but they're not mean to be malicious. 8-) )

TBH, my feeling is that we won't see Paul George at all this series but maybe that's just me trying to manage my expectations. We've heard very little about his real readiness to play. That being said, I feel like that's happened before with him- no updates other than very general timeline, but then suddenly he's listed as playing.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#32 » by donemilio21 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:20 pm

Dynamix wrote:

Read on Twitter

I'd say maybe because of limited travel distance between two cities, but same applies to Sac-GSW and Philly-Nets
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#33 » by og15 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:04 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
Dynamix wrote:

Read on Twitter

I'd say maybe because of limited travel distance between two cities, but same applies to Sac-GSW and Philly-Nets

That makes sense, good observation
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#34 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:40 pm

Cyclips wrote:
esqtvd wrote:yay no matinee

Read on Twitter

Of course the NBA put the Lakers in the marque timeslot on ABC.

Not sure that the network matters a lot anymore, whether cable or broadcast.

Clippers on TNT is prime time 8PM eastern time, Lakers on ABC at 3 PM. Sunday night is the biggest viewing slot of the TV week.

2022:

Sunday afternoon’s Celtics-Bucks Game 7 drew 7.48 million viewers on ABC, up big from the last time ABC had a second round Game 7 back in ’19 (Trail Blazers-Nuggets with 6.34 million in the same window). Celtics-Bucks is the best audience for any Eastern Conference semifinal game since '12. On Sunday night, TNT drew 6.29 million viewers for the Mavericks’ blowout of the Suns in Game 7, up from the 6.16 million viewers that the comparable Hawks-76ers Game 7 drew on the network last year in the same time slot.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#35 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:52 am

Nico is the best teammate anyone could ever ask for.

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 913

Post#36 » by NickP » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:21 pm

The Clippers are a very enigmatic team. Just when you expect them to do poorly, they surprise you. Having said that, my expectations are set to very low.:)
PeteyPablo
Rookie
And1: 804

Post#37 » by PeteyPablo » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:43 pm

When the Clippers come out energized and focused, they are an excellent and potent team. They can beat anyone.

When they come out lacking energy and focus, then they will certainly lose.

Lazy and dumb passes have been an ongoing issue all season. Fix those three areas and they will go all the way.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

Win Without Him 

Post#38 » by Wammy Giveaway » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Looks like George is out for the whole 1st round. Only way they can get him back: defeat Suns.

This is an earn-it round. Clippers have something worth fighting for.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#39 » by LamarWho » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:40 pm

He's baaaaaaaaaaack, whether you like it or not.

Read on Twitter
Cyclips
Ballboy
And1: 17

Re: Win Without Him 

Post#40 » by Cyclips » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:43 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Looks like George is out for the whole 1st round. Only way they can get him back: defeat Suns.

I personally think it's likely that he's out for the year even if we get to the WCF.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers