ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 Offseason(NBA Draft Clippers @30 and @48)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

What to do? 2023 Offseason

Blow it up everything
38%
Trade Kawhi & PG, keep T. Lue
12%
Trade one of 213, keep the other
23%
Keep Kawhi & PG, fire T. Lue
12%
Keep Kawhi & PG & T. Lue, just tweaks in supporting cast(basically run it over)
15%

Total votes: 26

Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

2023 Offseason(NBA Draft Clippers @30 and @48) 

Post#1 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:33 am

Hoping for some other team come with decent picks&players to get Kawhi&PG from us. If this happens, It's clear the room for new coaching search as well :roll:

Youth, athleticism and physicality please.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Re: 2023 Offseason(NBA Draft Clippers @30 and @48) 

Post#2 » by Clemenza » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:45 am

My season ending rant:

Props to the team for continuing to fight without you know who. Now its tough decisions ahead for the team. Is Ty coming back? He's not getting fired that's for sure despite his player favoritism. I say its time to see what we could get for Kawhi and PG, use Russ to bridge us to the next version of the team. Surround him, Norm, Mann, and Zu with the youngsters. Give Bradon Boston and Diabate a good look next season to see if they're keepers. Move on from Morris, Gordon, and possibly Batum. Trade RoCo cause Lue's not going to play him. Go after a guy like Naz Reid if possible and Jaylen Brown at the end of next season. We do have our first and second round picks this season too. One year of retooling in our last Crypto year and hopefully we could be right back in the mix for our first year in our new arena.

If we're keeping 213 then stop making them the focal point and centering the game plan around them. If we can resign Russ then just run Russ, Norm, Mann, Zu, Bones, Boston, Diabate, etc. as the core and whenever and if ever Kawhi and/or PG can suit up to play then fine, they play, If not we still have our main guys in place so there's no cop outs and no major chemistry issues as the season progresses. I just don't see how you can sell load management to the fans and media anymore. Its fully 100% broken and useless now. It probably gets worse for 213's health going forward. I foresee non stop load management and missed games next season right off the bat. So is Ballmer down to open the new arena with load management? He can't do that. PG and Kawhi are great players and had some nice moments -the WCF appearance as the biggest- but they haven't elevated the team's status at all in the four years they've been here. Kawhi doesn't talk, doesn't lead, doesn't promote the team, doesn't play half the time, the team has to speak for him and usually they say the wrong sh*t that makes everyone question is desire to play or not. Its a mess with this guy. I wouldn't be surprised if the team was down to move on from him before PG who has his heath issues as well. Kawhi is the better player but PG is still much much easier for the team to deal with. Interesting times coming up indeed
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#3 » by Clemenza » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:53 am

Hell of a thread right here. Not sure how much is true but a lot of it sounds on par with how the season went. Click the tweet and it goes into detail with numerous posts about insider team info..

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,191

Post#4 » by The High Cyde » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:27 am

Darian from Locked on Clips basically confirmed it, and I trust that dude. Pretty rough, Ballmer needs to clean house, just fire everybody and start new. Ship out Kawhi too.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,802

Post#5 » by esqtvd » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:34 am

The High Cyde wrote:Darian from Locked on Clips basically confirmed it, and I trust that dude. Pretty rough, Ballmer needs to clean house, just fire everybody and start new. Ship out Kawhi too.

Forget the smart thing. The buck stops with Ballmer. Psychoanalyze him. :wink:

Read on Twitter

If I'm Kawhi, judging by the way Ballmer signed Blake as a Clipper-for-life then dumped him 3 months later, after this strokejob, I'm counting my balls.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#6 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:58 am

Clemenza wrote:Hell of a thread right here. Not sure how much is true but a lot of it sounds on par with how the season went. Click the tweet and it goes into detail with numerous posts about insider team info..
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Thank you for sharing this. I'm all in favor of blow this up for a while with 213 and Lue, but frankly wasn't aware this level of immaturity from FO. I had some suspicions about it but thought they are in check mostly.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,567

Post#7 » by Sofia » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:27 am

Burn it down and piss on the ashes
President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#8 » by esqtvd » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:34 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Hell of a thread right here. Not sure how much is true but a lot of it sounds on par with how the season went. Click the tweet and it goes into detail with numerous posts about insider team info..
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Thank you for sharing this. I'm all in favor of blow this up for a while with 213 and Lue, but frankly wasn't aware this level of immaturity from FO. I had some suspicions about it but thought they are in check mostly.

lol worse than i thought

you shouldn't have dogged me for bagging on how Ballmer does business bro :lol:

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#9 » by esqtvd » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:35 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

lol worse than i thought

you shouldn't have dogged me for bagging on how Ballmer does business bro :lol:

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#10 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:59 pm

We have to start over completely. We've never truly cleaned house and it shows. We've got the same training/medical staff from the Sterling era and our GM and coach were both brought into the organization by Doc, so it really shouldn't be a surprise that the Clippers are still dysfunctional on and off the court. Ballmer can only do so much by himself. He needs to bring in outside voices from teams that actually understand professionalism and winning, not a bunch of holdovers from previous unsuccessful eras of the Clippers. That's going to be even more important with the new CBA that makes it harder to just throw ungodly amounts of money at the roster.

Speaking of the roster, Kawhi and PG have run their course. It's safe to say that they'll never be on the court at the same time for more than a first-round series at best. The only exception was when COVID put the season on hold for months and gave them time to rest and recuperate. I highly doubt that will ever happen again in their careers. And even when PG is on the court, it's anyone's guess whether he'll actually be productive or if he'll be in Playoff P mode. Trade them both while they still have any value. Virtually anything we can get back in a trade has more value than what we're getting from them when it matters most, which is nothing at all.

We have way too many ancient fossils who can't play anymore. Morris, EJ, Batum, etc. We can't keep filling the roster with old slow players while the rest of the league gets younger and faster. It doesn't work. This is the other impact of the new CBA - we absolutely have to develop young talent now. No more running up a huge luxury tax bill to pay for ancient household names on the downside of their career. Scouting, drafting and development all need to improve ASAP.

This is supposed to be entertainment. This team has become frustrating and depressing to watch for so many reasons. All I want is a team with players who actually show up, do their jobs and play hard, and a coach who rewards their efforts instead of playing favorites. It shouldn't be as impossible as this franchise makes it look.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#11 » by Vae Victus » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:25 pm

If i were in charge

Replace the FO and coaching staff, bring in new blood to wash away this fetid stinking toxic group

I'd look to bring in Nurse or Vogel. Both bring different things to the table, Nurse is more of a ingame adjustment guy, while Vogel is a defensive stalwart. Id much rather run with either of these guys if they dont play stupid games like Lue was doing.

Only trade Kawhi for a prince's ransom, if some team is dumb enough to throw a nice offer

Keep PG13, i have alot more faith in his ability to stay healthy and the team still needs a star player to sell tickets and to keep things afloat until the OKC picks convey

By all means find a trade for Mook's expiring + 2023 draft picks to either find the best possible player in a return deal. Mook HAS TO GO at this point, so use his expiring to try to get something good back. Just roll with RoCo/Batum/Diabate at the PF.

Try to re-sign Westbrook on the vet min and Plumlee for like a small 1-2 year deal at 4-5mil per. If Westy demands the full Tax MLE, then i'll think about it pending whether Mook gets traded for soemthing decent in return.

Let Gordon go or find a trade with him + draft capital to get something good back. Odds are i'll just let him go, only way i bring him back is via vet min. I'd rather just give Powell all the SG mins at this point and run with Mann at PG too. Give the young guys chances to earn PT.

Ideal load management for Kawhi and PG13 is around 65 games played per season. I expect Kawhi to only good for 55-60 games next season, due to recovery from knee meniscus surgery, so he'll be out a chunk of early season and then following it with load management.

C - Zubac, Plumlee, Diabate
PF- RoCo, Batum, Diabate
SF - Kawhi, PG13, Powell, Coffey
SG- PG13, Powell, Mann, Boston
PG - Westbrook, Mann, Hyland, Preston

Dunno who's a good trade target for Mook's expiring + 2023 draft capital. I see no point in bringing in a rookie, there are young players on the roster who are more ready to contribute atm

Team identity will be based heavily on Westbrook being aggressive when he plays and pushing pace. I dont expect Kawhi and PG13 to play together much, so theyre basically the primary SF when they do play. Powell and Mann should be getting alot of pt playing out of the SG/SF position in support of whichever superstar manages to suit up for the game.

I kinda wanna bring in Vogel so that he'd instill defensive intensity and principles. The team will have a decent amount of 3pt shoot to space the floor and Westbrook will just do his thing for the most part on a spaced floor.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,041

Post#12 » by LamarWho » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:03 pm

Ballmer will not be OK with a rebuild, invested too much in 213. This team desperately needs to get ALOT younger and more athletic, but unless you trade one or both 213, this team will be stuck with old farts like MMSr, Batum and EJ. We are probably the worst team in the league when it comes to developing young players, so don't expect much in return even if we get some young talents.

As far the 2nd worst coach in the league goes, hopefully those rumors are true and he'll resign, cuz for sure he won't be fired.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#13 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:23 pm

The High Cyde wrote:Darian from Locked on Clips basically confirmed it, and I trust that dude. Pretty rough, Ballmer needs to clean house, just fire everybody and start new. Ship out Kawhi too.

Thanks for that, getting some sort of confirmation was pretty important as I am not familiar with the source at all.

If it's truly as bad as the tweet thread describes, it seems almost more dysfunctional than many of the Sterling years. We need a new GM or POBO most of all, and then he can clean house (or not) from there. Regardless of the results this year or past years, the description of our FO processes is bad enough to call for a reboot.

Unlike Jeannie when she hired Rob Pelinka (whose team is still in the playoffs), Ballmer has the money to spend on a high level POBO/GM. I don't necessarily put all of the reported dysfunction on Ballmer, but he is the only one who can actually fix it. If he tries to keep this all together with duct tape and mirrors, our outlook is even more dire than just Kawhi's and PG's health issues alone.

I never actually thought very highly of Ballmer during his Microsoft years, at least from top level strategy side. He was a bull but was never visionary. But as our incoming owner I liked his money and his passion for basketball. Let's see how he handles this.

Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,938

Post#14 » by Bobbymcgee » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:40 pm

I have to think that with a torn meniscus, that pretty much means the Clippers are stuck with Leonard next season and probably the year after as well unless he miraculously decides to opt out of his player option.

The Clippers should just blow it up anyways and just let Leonard's contract run its course unless some other team is dumb enough to want to trade for him.

I'm so over the current version of this team. Can't wait till both Leonard and George are gone, Ty Lue and Lawrence Frank are fired, and the Clippers are in their new arena.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#15 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:10 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:I have to think that with a torn meniscus, that pretty much means the Clippers are stuck with Leonard next season and probably the year after as well unless he miraculously decides to opt out of his player option.

The Clippers should just blow it up anyways and just let Leonard's contract run its course unless some other team is dumb enough to want to trade for him.

I'm so over the current version of this team. Can't wait till both Leonard and George are gone, Ty Lue and Lawrence Frank are fired, and the Clippers are in their new arena.

The one guy I am okay with despite mixed results is Paul George, he has always tried to be a positive force for the team and I think grew as a person and teammate after the bubble collapse. I don't blame Kawhi for his health problems, but he's always been such a non-presence emotionally for the team and the combination significantly counteracts his on court play (which when healthy is 100% as good as advertised.)

If even half of that tweet thread about the FO is true, I want Frank gone most of all. It's not like Ballmer can't afford to go out and hire a reputable FO exec to lead the org.I'll then let him decide on everything else from Lue to the players.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#16 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:39 pm

My issue with Frank is that he was never really qualified in the first place. He was brought into the front office by GM Doc and then stayed there out of inertia. His background before this was in coaching, and he wasn't even great at that.

I feel like one of the reasons our team is always so slow and old is because we still have a coach making roster moves while thinking like a coach, not a GM. There's no longterm cohesive vision for the roster, just a pile of short-term quick fixes in the form of veterans with recognizable names.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,938

Post#17 » by Bobbymcgee » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:02 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:I have to think that with a torn meniscus, that pretty much means the Clippers are stuck with Leonard next season and probably the year after as well unless he miraculously decides to opt out of his player option.

The one guy I am okay with despite mixed results is Paul George, he has always tried to be a positive force for the team and I think grew as a person and teammate after the bubble collapse. I don't blame Kawhi for his health problems, but he's always been such a non-presence emotionally for the team and the combination significantly counteracts his on court play (which when healthy is 100% as good as advertised.)

If even half of that tweet thread about the FO is true, I want Frank gone most of all. It's not like Ballmer can't afford to go out and hire a reputable FO exec to lead the org.I'll then let him decide on everything else from Lue to the players.

I hear you. A lot of it has been unfortunate circumstances. But, I think it's time to move on from both by trading them if they can and try and recoup some young players and draft picks if the Clippers can. Now that Leonard is injured AGAIN, George is the most valuable trade asset the team has so I am leaning towards trading him. Or else, how does the team get better? I really don't want to see the Clippers extend George to some monster extension like the Blazers did with Lillard. Ugh,
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#18 » by esqtvd » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:10 pm

Torn meniscus isn't terribly serious. Can heal in 2 months without surgery.

https://www.healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis/knee-pain/meniscus-tear-recovery-time-without-surgery

But they're confirming that Kawhi's injury was real and he wasn't dogging it.

Joel Embiid and Doc Rivers comment on how the 76ers' big man managed his meniscus injury in Game 1 vs. Hawks. Embiid finished with 39 PTS, 9 rebounds.

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#19 » by nickhx2 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:25 pm

confirmed the clippers content thread stuff you mean?

who are these sources, btw? would like to know how likely the information is to be straight and direct.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,657

Post#20 » by ejftw » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:36 pm

Guys I'd love to snag at #30: Jalen Hood-Schifino, Jett Howard, Julian Strawther, Amari Bailey

At #48: Jamie Jaquez, James Nnaji, Zach Edey, DaRon Holmes, Adem Bona

Return to Los Angeles Clippers