ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 Offseason(NBA Draft Clippers @30 and @48)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

What to do? 2023 Offseason

Blow it up everything
38%
Trade Kawhi & PG, keep T. Lue
12%
Trade one of 213, keep the other
23%
Keep Kawhi & PG, fire T. Lue
12%
Keep Kawhi & PG & T. Lue, just tweaks in supporting cast(basically run it over)
15%

Total votes: 26

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: 2023 Offseason(NBA Draft Clippers @30 and @48) 

Post#181 » by esqtvd » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:22 am

KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thx for the updates, KL.

Kiwi = New Zealand? or what
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#182 » by esqtvd » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:26 am

Dynamix wrote:I say we bring back CP, Blake, and DJ, plus Doc and VDN as honorary members of the coaching staff. One last dance before the start of a new era.

Not completely absurd. Under the new CBA [and the way the game is being played at the moment], the new paradigm might be that anyone over 32--let's say 33--is persona non grata in the NBA. I expect the league to move from stacking up "names" to some new paradigm of stacking up 6'8" guys with decent skills and good injury histories.

Ballmerville could become the toxic waste dump/Last Chance Ranch for guys like Westbrook and CP3. Minimum wage, but great weather, new arena, top practice facilities, charter flights, first class hotels...

Chris Paul has made well over $300 million in NBA salary alone. That's not even counting how much Chris and his twin brother Cliff have made in endorsements.

Insane if CP decides where to go next based on the money.

Basketballwise, I'd love to see Westbrook and CP3 sharing the PG job and no doubt seeing minutes together [on the few days they're both healthy lol]. The Over the Hill Gang still beats the G-League every time, and I just can't see Ballmer opening his BallmerDome with a 30-win team.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#183 » by Clemenza » Fri Jun 9, 2023 3:11 am

esqtvd wrote:Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan was why CP3 didn't win jack. Not because they sucked but because they underperformed their salaries. But Sterling was happy enough to have a winning team after all those years of misery. 50 wins beats the hell out of 50 losses.

Its starting to look like CP3 is a "Larry O'Brian repellant'

All three were in their prime but Blake and DJ needed a run n gun shoot first point guard. A player that was always looking to run the floor for fastbreaks and easy lobs to the high flyers. And also be the pg that would go for 20-30 points a game. CP3 is a hall of famer but with us he bypassed on the fast breaks to walk the ball up and dribbled out the shot clock for 20 seconds before finally deciding on what to do with the ball. Too controlling. Then there were many instances where he wouldn't look to score unless we were down 15 or more points. He had some great moments but the play styles were way off. CP3 and Blake couldn't even stand each other.
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#184 » by ERClips » Fri Jun 9, 2023 3:48 am

Who cares?
Those guys are yesterday’s news for the Clippers. I’m down with whatever is next and moving on
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#185 » by esqtvd » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:10 am

ERClips wrote:Who cares?
Those guys are yesterday’s news for the Clippers. I’m down with whatever is next and moving on

Your feelings are noted and respected.

Since this is a discussion board, I would like to state my analysis too. If that is that OK.

I don't think that will happen. If I'm Steve Ballmer I will keep doubling down as I prepare my $2 billion BallmerDome. I think he's completely screwed by the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

If I have anything to say about it, I will open it with the Defending Champions of 2024:

Kawhi
Paul George
Russell Westbrook
Norman Powell

plus

Chris Paul if I have anything to say about it. The Greatest Clipper of All Time.

Close the circle.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#186 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:25 pm

esqtvd wrote:Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan was why CP3 didn't win jack.

I must have missed when CP3 won anything with anyone else in the league. You act like he hasn't played for four other teams with nothing but historic playoff meltdowns to show for it.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#187 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:33 pm

esqtvd wrote:
ERClips wrote:Who cares?

Your feelings are noted and respected.

Since this is a discussion board, I would like to state my analysis too. If that is that OK.

I don't think that will happen. If I'm Steve Ballmer I will keep doubling down as I prepare my $2 billion BallmerDome. I think he's completely screwed by the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

If I have anything to say about it, I will open it with the Defending Champions of 2024:

Kawhi
Paul George
Russell Westbrook
Norman Powell

plus

Chris Paul if I have anything to say about it. The Greatest Clipper of All Time.

Close the circle.

We would have to gut the roster just to keep Russ under the new CBA, and then what would adding CP3 do besides make us slower, older, and more injury-prone and keep Mann glued to the bench? And that's assuming we wouldn't have to include Mann in a trade just to get another team to take our bad contracts so we can keep Russ.

"Defending Champions of 2024," more like "Defending Playoff Game Participants" before they all get injured by Game 2 of the first round.

This team is cooked, and the only reason you're likely right about Ballmer doubling down (within the limits of the new CBA) is because this franchise loves mediocrity.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Wait, is this actually happening? 

Post#188 » by Dynamix » Fri Jun 9, 2023 3:15 pm

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#189 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Jun 9, 2023 3:51 pm

Let me guess, it's Podcast P flexing his so-called "GM skills" again. :noway:

Not having to indulge all of PG's bad ideas anymore would already be enough to make trading him for the Blazers' pick worth it, without factoring in anything else.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#190 » by KL2 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:49 pm

Leonard and CP are good friends. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in favor of him joining the Clippers. I just have a hard time seeing Leonard texting the media to say so. :lol:

esqtvd wrote:Thx for the updates, KL.

You’re welcome. Even if it doesn’t mean much I like looking at who they’re working out.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 357

Re: Wait, is this actually happening? 

Post#191 » by wakelaunch1 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 9:33 pm

Dynamix wrote:
Read on Twitter

Has to be PG. He has the biggest mouth out there
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Re: Wait, is this actually happening? 

Post#192 » by Clemenza » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:33 am

Dynamix wrote:
Read on Twitter

This team is toast
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#193 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:36 am

MartinToVaught wrote:Let me guess, it's Podcast P flexing his so-called "GM skills" again. :noway:

Not having to indulge all of PG's bad ideas anymore would already be enough to make trading him for the Blazers' pick worth it, without factoring in anything else.

In fairness, Westbrook turned out to be better than expected- so it wasn't an entirely bad idea to sign him, nor was Reggie Jackson
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

Forget Money And Fit - It's All About The Past 

Post#194 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:04 am

When Paul first left the Clippers, it was under bad circumstances. They have failed to make the western conference finals in all the years he was there. The 3-1 collapse that saw DeAndre Jordan want out and join the Mavericks. The Blake Griffin ejections that led to his first ever scandal in the punching incident. Doc Rivers as coach/general manager/father. The Donald Sterling tapes. The catastrophic injuries. Clipper's desperation to be loved, respected and worshiped like Lakers. All this was enough to disillusion Paul to want out. He made the conference finals after leaving the Clippers. He made the NBA Finals by defeating the Clippers. And now Clippers are trying to get their former savior back as a last ditch effort before moving to the new arena? Please.

Clippers are unwilling to let go of the past. They clearly want to set things right by getting him back. With a proven veteran in Kawhi Leonard who's won titles and Finals MVPs instead of with two highlight reel players. Sure, if Paul and Clippers are willing to patch things up before returning, maybe I can give their reunion a shot.

But Paul's past with Clippers is all the reason for him to want to join Lakers instead. Friends with LeBron James, check. On a legacy franchise with the championship pedigree, check. Revenge on Clippers en route to a league-leading 18th trophy. Check mate.

Clippers need to move on by not reuniting with Paul. Westbrook is good enough, re-sign him, even if it means shedding salary and youth. Don't let George or Leonard go just yet despite their disappointments.

However, if Leonard or George get ejected from a game, fire sale.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#195 » by esqtvd » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:13 am

KL2 wrote:Leonard and CP are good friends. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in favor of him joining the Clippers. I just have a hard time seeing Leonard texting the media to say so. :lol:

esqtvd wrote:Thx for the updates, KL.

You’re welcome. Even if it doesn’t mean much I like looking at who they’re working out.

So Kawhi was the source? Good theory.

If I'm CP and Kawhi is on the phone asking me to come, I'm coming back to Lob City and fixing my entire [failed] legacy.

If CP has a significant role in a Clippers championship, all his sins of his loser career are forgiven and wiped away. The ultimate revenge.

A title anywhere else will mean nothing.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#196 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:47 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Let me guess, it's Podcast P flexing his so-called "GM skills" again. :noway:

In fairness, Westbrook turned out to be better than expected- so it wasn't an entirely bad idea to sign him, nor was Reggie Jackson

Those were the only success stories and neither of them are indicative of any special "GM skills" on PG's part. Reggie already had a history of being a streaky contract-year player, and Westbrook's problem with the Lakers was about his contract and fit, not that he couldn't play anymore.

PatPat did nothing but occupy a roster spot. The John Wall experiment was a disaster. Even Reggie was often very frustrating outside of the one magical playoff run.

It doesn't take a genius to start pounding the table for every aging point guard and/or personal friend who becomes available regardless of whether they can still play. And PG is only doing it to reduce the responsibilities he has to shoulder himself on the court, which shouldn't be acceptable with his contract and everything we traded for him.
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: Forget Money And Fit - It's All About The Past 

Post#197 » by esqtvd » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:57 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Sure, if Paul and Clippers are willing to patch things up before returning, maybe I can give their reunion a shot.

But Paul's past with Clippers is all the reason for him to want to join Lakers instead. Friends with LeBron James, check. On a legacy franchise with the championship pedigree, check. Revenge on Clippers en route to a league-leading 18th trophy. Check mate.

Good point. If I'm CP3, I'd rather take my chances with Bron rather than retrace my steps with LAC.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#198 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:48 pm

Reports out today that Toronto fired Nurse because he wasn't developing the players they drafted enough.

Here we see the impact of the new CBA. The smart, well-run franchises know that grinding out wins in the regular season with washed veterans will get you nowhere. You can no longer win anything for real without being strictly committed to drafting and development. Judging from history, it will take the Clippers decades to figure this out, if they ever do.
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: REGULAR SEASON DOESN'T MATTER 

Post#199 » by esqtvd » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:55 pm

from 2022:

Historically speaking, the higher the seed means the more favorable matchups. The playoffs were expanded to 16 teams in 1984, which meant that up to this time, there were only eight teams and the seeding was one to four in each conference. Since then, there have been only two teams below the seed of three to ever win an NBA championship. With that said, only one seed lower than four has ever won. There have been upsets in the first round before, but how often has that translated to a championship?

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba/nba-championship-winners-by-regular-season-seed-no-1-overall-seed-have-won-nearly-70-of-the-titles
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,272

Post#200 » by Scoundreldays » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:48 am

Cp3 was already injury prone when he was younger on this team. What makes them think this will be any different at 38?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers